• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
3 hours in, and I'm already at a higher level than I was when I beat Dark Souls. Whoops. I still can't equip half of what I felt I could in Dark Souls, and don't have the stats for any types of magic, either. I want to at least be able to try a bit of everything without making multiple characters.
Good thing I can respec later

The normal mobs are definitely less forgiving this time around, as well, while the first two bosses I fought were unusually merciful.

I was surprised that everything seems to auto-repair when you die...unless that red bar indicates something else?[/QUOTE]

Resting at a bonfire repairs your items. If it breaks, you have to get it fixed at a blacksmith. That red bar shows your current item's durability. When you die...you revive at a bonfire, thus resetting the durability.

Nerokis

Initial impression is very mixed. The game does feel different from Dark Souls - a little stickier, a little slower? First thing I did was die again and again to that big, white creature at the very beginning. I approached it expecting to roll circles around it, but I pressed the roll button, what I expected to happen didn't happen, and I was staggered or something to my death. Decided to try killing him until I got used to the new controls, but gave up after around 6 deaths. :p

Somewhere past Majula, I found myself in an area with more big enemies, this time armored and with large weapons. First one was easy enough to kill, but the second one would always eventually get me. Decided to explore elsewhere, because clearly I wasn't following the path of least resistance, and found myself at the much more manageable Forest of Giants...where I died another handful of times before turning off the game.

And I'm just now realizing, after doing some reading, that you're supposed to use human effigies to reverse hollowing. I tried burning them, but it'd say I couldn't use them - in retrospect, that's because I got kicked to offline mode at some point. Anyway, all in all, being at 50% health or less wasn't helping matters (not to mention having almost no healing capabilities, since the only thing I have that rejuvenates along with my character is a single estus flask).

I don't know. The setting isn't really doing much for me so far, either, although Majula is certainly beautiful. In general, the whole intro was much better paced in the first Dark Souls, I feel. I got bored a little quickly.

So Dark Souls 2 has yet to click with me. I'm still getting used to how different the game feels, along with the new combat mechanics (parry and backstab seem to be totally different this time around, along with the human-hollow dynamic). Just walking from point A to B feels somewhat jarring for some reason.

Lowest point: falling to my death because of a strange platforming segment in the tutorial section, and then another time because apparently I couldn't fall more than nine feet without dying. I really feel it was much, much harder to die this way in the first Dark Souls.

Definitely wasn't expecting to feel this way from the outset. I guess right now I'm at a stage where not being in the rhythm of the game is really throwing my experience off.

Garcia

I hope everyone gets the chance to experience this game during the first week or launch while it's still thriving with summon signs everywhere. It really makes a big difference, especially for those who played the broken PC version of Dark Soul with that cursed GFWL firewall. I remember I was only able to summon other human players twice during my first run. The game felt barren; the exact opposite of DS2.

torsen_ITA

Neo Member
Is there a way to enable only texture override with GeDoSaTo?

Enabling the other features using:
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080
reportedHz 60

presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

keeps give me this problem:
B17B7BF8765431F3EF3D71283352D720DF569400

I hope everyone gets the chance to experience this game during the first week or launch while it's still thriving with summon signs everywhere. It really makes a big difference, especially for those who played the broken PC version of Dark Soul with that cursed GFWL firewall. I remember I was only able to summon other human players twice during my first run. The game felt barren; the exact opposite of DS2.
What are the requirements for summon signs to appear? (Note that I have yet to find a white soapstone or something similar, but I wouldn't have expected a trigger being needed.) I haven't seen a single one so far, while I saw several more recently in Dark Souls.

Jealous of you guys playing already! My LE shipped from amazon last night to work. I am sick at home but with a bit of luck my girlfriend will deliver it to me!

Booshka

Initial impression is very mixed. The game does feel different from Dark Souls - a little sticker, a little slower? First thing I did was die again and again to that big, white creature at the very beginning. I approached it expecting to roll circles around it, but I pressed the roll button, what I expected to happen didn't happen, and I was staggered or something to my death. Decided to try killing him until I got used to the new controls, but gave up after around 6 deaths. :p

Somewhere past Majula, I found myself in an area with more big enemies, this time armored and with large weapons. First one was easy enough to kill, but the second one would always eventually get me. Decided to explore elsewhere, because clearly I wasn't following the path of least resistance, and found myself at the much more manageable Forest of Giants...where I died another handful of times before turning off the game.

And I'm just now realizing, after doing some reading, that you're supposed to use human effigies to reverse hollowing. I tried burning them, but it'd say I couldn't use them - in retrospect, that's because I got kicked to offline mode at some point. Anyway, all in all, being at 50% health or less wasn't helping matters (not to mention having almost no healing capabilities, since the only thing I have that rejuvenates along with my character is a single estus flask).

I don't know. The setting isn't really doing much for me so far, either, although Majula is certainly beautiful. In general, the whole intro was much better paced in the first Dark Souls, I feel. I got bored a little quickly.

So Dark Souls 2 has yet to click with me. I'm still getting used to how different the game feels, along with the new combat mechanics (parry and backstab seem to be totally different this time around, along with the human-hollow dynamic). Just walking from point A to B feels somewhat jarring for some reason.

Lowest point: falling to my death because of a strange platforming segment in the tutorial section, and then another time because apparently I couldn't fall more than nine feet without dying. I really feel it was much, much harder to die this way in the first Dark Souls.

Definitely wasn't expecting to feel this way from the outset. I guess right now I'm at a stage where not being in the rhythm of the game is really throwing my experience off.

Game starts off slow and is a bit underwhelming at first, especially if you have a ton of experience with the Souls series. Level up some ADP to get some more i-frames out of your rolls and make the game feel a little snappier. Game gets better as you go on, put some more time into it and you should warm up to it.

Mkilbride

Banned
This...

Is alot harder than Dark Souls / Demon's Souls.

Not sure I like it. So far I haven't been able to advance AT ALL.

3 hours of gameplay and I haven't barely left Mauljra or whatever. I spent 50 horus in DMS and 115+ hours in DKS1.

Combat feels slow, unresponsive, but enemies are faster and such.

Soul requirements for levels is high, and the benefits - very small. I don
t want to use the Wiki, but honestly, I am at the point where I'm not having fun just fighting these Giant guys, then healing at the bonfire, unable to advance.

As someone who really loves the challenge of DKS, I think they went to far here.

Garcia

What are the requirements for summon signs to appear? (Note that I have yet to find a white soapstone or something similar, but I wouldn't have expected a trigger being needed.) I haven't seen a single one so far, while I saw several more recently in Dark Souls.

Just as in Dark Souls, you need to be human. There are no extra requirements in DS2. Have you not seen any signs even after regaining your humanity? They should start appearing once you reach the first bonfire in FoFG.

Hey, guys, so far my hollow-to-human conversion ratio has been a solid 100% once I get a Token of Fidelty post any Co-op boss fight. When did they patch this? It is exactly what the game needed! I remember when this was a "bug" during the first week in consoles.

I don
t want to use the Wiki, but honestly, I am at the point where I'm not having fun just fighting these Giant guys, then healing at the bonfire, unable to advance.

As someone who really loves the challenge of DKS, I think they went to far here.
I honestly just ran by them since the ones with the maces were nearly impossible for me. What came after was a lot easier.
Just as in Dark Souls, you just need to be human. There are no extra requirements in DS2. Have not seen any signs even after regaining your humanity? They should start appearing once you reach the first bonfire in FoFG.
Both my friend and I have been human, and we have yet to see a single one. No invasions or anything, either.

Be in Human form and not a member of the Company of Champions covenant.

Edit: Beaten

Aeana

This...

Is alot harder than Dark Souls / Demon's Souls.

Not sure I like it. So far I haven't been able to advance AT ALL.

3 hours of gameplay and I haven't barely left Mauljra or whatever. I spent 50 horus in DMS and 115+ hours in DKS1.

Combat feels slow, unresponsive, but enemies are faster and such.

Soul requirements for levels is high, and the benefits - very small. I don

If you're fighting giants and it's your first area, you're in the wrong area. The first area you should go to is the forest of the fallen giants. From Majula's bonfire, face the cliff, them turn right and go into the archway you can see over there.

Dark Souls 2 combats feels so much different from DS 1, it's going to take some getting used too.

Anyways, it's 2 in the morning and I need to go to bed.

Booshka

Any of you new players having trouble with the game, try a Mace or Club.

Strike class weapons really wreck this game in PvE.

If you're fighting giants and it's your first area, you're in the wrong area. The first area you should go to is the forest of the fallen giants. From Majula's bonfire, face the cliff, them turn right and go into the archway you can see over there.

Really? I was wondering why that area was so difficult.

But I somehow managed to
beat Dragon Rider with half health.

I guess I'll try the forest now. :p

Mkilbride

Banned
I can't find my way to the Forest of the Giants. I googled, I youTubed, and fucking annoyingly enough, NO ONE SHOWS HOW TO GET THERE. Just everyone SAYS howw to, and I tried, but it's not there.

Gazoinks

Any of you new players having trouble with the game, try a Mace or Club.

Strike class weapons really wreck this game in PvE.

Yeah, I'm surprised how much my Mace +2 is tearing up the enemies given I never really used blunt weapons in the past games. Effective against heavy armor too.

Nerokis

Game starts off slow and is a bit underwhelming at first, especially if you have a ton of experience with the Souls series. Level up some ADP to get some more i-frames out of your rolls and make the game feel a little snappier. Game gets better as you go on, put some more time into it and you should warm up to it.

Ah, so ADP is pretty important after all, then? It seems like a really weird stat, in a way. Dark Souls 1 had a fairly clear-cut separation between the core action mechanics and the RPG mechanics. Would it be accurate to say Dark Souls 2 mixes them up a little more, in the sense that the effectiveness of things like rolling are much more tied to your character's stats?

I honestly just ran by them since the ones with the maces were nearly impossible for me. What came after was a lot easier.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who found the mace guys pretty tough. :p I've literally only managed to level up once this entire time, and my Scimitar wasn't really doing much to them.

Superflat

Started Dark Souls 2.

Spent like an hour killing the first big hippo you see in the game before doing anything else. Stuck with half health.

That's enough Dark Souls for today! It has begun.

So I'm power stancing 2 Halberds... And occasionally I will lose upwards of 20 durability in a single swing... Is this a bug or is something that is just naturally supposed to occur? I swung twice and was reduced to 39/70 durability on one of them in the
Huntsman's Copse.

I can't find my way to the Forest of the Giants. I googled, I youTubed, and fucking annoyingly enough, NO ONE SHOWS HOW TO GET THERE. Just everyone SAYS howw to, and I tried, but it's not there.
Starting from the Majula bonfire and facing away from the obelisk/lighthouse-looking structure, just run down the leftmost path on the cliffline. There should be a lit brazier at the very beginning, and then you quickly find yourself inside some underground fort-like area. If the path ends with a gate and a switch that you pull, then you're on the right path. (Especially if there's a cave right after.)

EDIT: I found a video if my crappy instructions were of no help.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any solution to the slight blur added by using SGSSAA with 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)? -1.000 negative LOD bias works a little bit, but there's still a slight dullness to the IQ.

Someone please help! The game keeps on crashing in the loading screen after the intro movie. I'm using a DVI connection. I'm not using GeDoSaTo.

Welp, I figured it out. The High Texture setting is broken... FFS

Gonna re-download my game... again. I also ran into that bullshit DVI/HDMI bug.

On top of that, lightboost doesn't work unless you play windowed. The only way to fix this is for Durante to add a borderless windowed setting to GeDoSaTo, like he did for DsFix.

I have had it up to here with Japanese pc games with capped refresh rates & capped framerates, I swear (Read: DS, MGS: Rising). Code your games/engines from the get go to support uncapped framerates/fps guys, come on. Stop tying your physics and animations to the framerate, this isn't the PS2 era anymore.

Pro-tip: messages can't block the secret doors, so if a message says there's one there and you can't open it, it's a troll message.

I stood smashing buttons and hitting walls inside the Mujala mansion for like 10minutes at a message that said Illusory Wall Ahead... it had so many ratings too.. :(

Aeana said:
That's a one time encounter. You will fight him elsewhere instead.

Cool, I was worried for a bit also. I dropped down because I wasn't ready for the encounter and when I returned I couldn't get him to swoop back in anymore.

Trickster

you have to use a torch (bonfire or flamebutterfly) but it doesnt work on all braziers :)

Hmm, I should have a torch. I remember picking one up. Can't find any in my inventory though. But There a section in the equipment menu that has an image of a torch with a timer next to it that says 00:10:00.

Coldsun

Banned
Hmm, I should have a torch. I remember picking one up. Can't find any in my inventory though. But There a section in the equipment menu that has an image of a torch with a timer next to it that says 00:10:00.

Torches don't show up as normal inventory items. You simply light them up at bonfires or the braziers.

HeelPower

Those who waited for this version of the game are lucky!

This a far cry from how it was on consoles. I also feel I am able to respond better to the combat due to the higher framerate and more visible enemy animations.

Very glad I bought it twice.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im home!

time for Dark Souls 2 all day (or until I crash because Ive been working all night o/)

Booshka

Ah, so ADP is pretty important after all, then? It seems like a really weird stat, in a way. Dark Souls 1 had a fairly clear-cut separation between the core action mechanics and the RPG mechanics. Would it be accurate to say Dark Souls 2 mixes them up a little more, in the sense that the effectiveness of things like rolling are much more tied to your character's stats?

Definitely, it scales up more and more with levels too, a super high SL 300+ character is far more powerful and durable than a similarly leveled player in the previous games. Both ends of the spectrum are a bit detrimental to the overall game in my opinion. I prefer the less traditional RPG power gains of leveling in Souls games as opposed to most RPG leveling and player scaling mechanics. Dark Souls 2 is less like the former games in that regard with more emphasis on widening the power gap between vastly different SL's, tying your roll i-frames and estus flask healing to that is only one example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom