• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So reading through the thread it seems I took the hard way.

I somehow managed to
beat Dragon Rider.

Should I head to the Forest of Giants now?

I can't find my way to the Forest of the Giants. I googled, I youTubed, and fucking annoyingly enough, NO ONE SHOWS HOW TO GET THERE. Just everyone SAYS howw to, and I tried, but it's not there.

Go to Majula bonefire and follow the cliff along the ocean down to a tunnel and you'll be on your way.

Psy

Neo Member
Runs like butter on my Dell UP3214Q 4K.

DarkSoulsII_2014_04_25_02_40_13_107.jpg

DarkSoulsII_2014_04_25_04_02_55_666.jpg

DarkSoulsII_2014_04_25_04_01_57_921.jpg

Holdfing

God damnit... My discs just arrived, and I forgot to buy a SATA DVD drive. Tried using my old machine's drive but it won't install through the local network. I mean come on FROM...

j/k

MaLDo

Any solution to the slight blur added by using SGSSAA with 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)? -1.000 negative LOD bias works a little bit, but there's still a slight dullness to the IQ.

I don't know if it's your problem but 004412C1 bits must be used with a 16:9 resolution and aspect ratio scale in gpu for Dark Souls 2. If you use those bits in a 16:10 resolution (for example, 1920x1200), SGSSAA is not applied correctly and blurs everywhere.

If you're using 16:9 resolution already, use lumasharpen with SweetFX or try Durante's gedosato.

I don't know if it's your problem but 004412C1 bits must be used with a 16:9 resolution and aspect ratio scale in gpu for Dark Souls 2. If you use those bits in a 16:10 resolution (for example, 1920x1200), SGSSAA is not applied correctly and blurs everywhere.

If you're using 16:9 resolution already, use lumasharpen with SweetFX or try Durante's gedosato.

Must be why the game is looking a bit odd to me, is there a 16:10 replacement?

Edit: Nevermind, can just run the game at 16:9 resolutions as the game doesn't stretch the image to my monitor like some do.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do you whip out the torch? o_O I used it at the bonfire to light it but put it away

how do you whip out the torch? o_O I used it at the bonfire to light it but put it away

You have to use an item called a flame butterfly which you'll be swimming in by the end, otherwise you have to light it at a bonfire or prelit sconce.

Edit: So what is the best way for me to use the SGSSAA/AO bits? I have a 16:10 monitor which causes the issue listed above but running it at 1920x1080 is making flickering lines appear everywhere. Or is that just a separate issue? Might just try hooking my pc back up to my TV, would be neat to compare to the PS3 version by switching imputs, lol.

NEO0MJ

I have a question, how do I turn of auto-shield? I picked the swordman class and there's a little icon under my health that shows a shield, I guess that's what's causing it but I don't know how to change it.

Nerokis

Definitely, it scales up more and more with levels too, a super high SL 300+ character is far more powerful and durable than a similarly leveled player in the previous games. Both ends of the spectrum are a bit detrimental to the overall game in my opinion. I prefer the less traditional RPG power gains of leveling in Souls games as opposed to most RPG leveling and player scaling mechanics. Dark Souls 2 is less like the former games in that regard with more emphasis on widening the power gap between vastly different SL's, tying your roll i-frames and estus flask healing to that is only one example.

Thanks for these explanations. Yeah, I'm definitely inclined to agree with you, but I guess I'll have to see how it all feels in practice as I adjust to the game.

Time to try this again, this time in online mode and hopefully spending more time as a human.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo these silky birds...

gave them the petrified rock gift, they gave me a demons great hammer, which needs 50 STR to use LOL

Trickster

You have to use an item called a flame butterfly which you'll be swimming in by the end, otherwise you have to light it at a bonfire or prelit sconce.

Edit: So what is the best way for me to use the SGSSAA/AO bits? I have a 16:10 monitor which causes the issue listed above but running it at 1920x1080 is making flickering lines appear everywhere. Or is that just a separate issue? Might just try hooking my pc back up to my TV, would be neat to compare to the PS3 version by switching imputs, lol.

How do you light a torch at a bonfire? I know I have a torch, I've found one several times now. But I have no option to light it at bonfires :/

Also, anyone know what the difference between the dex and str attack stats are?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I almost dread getting into Dark Souls 2 again because the soul memory mechanic is just so terrible. I love playing co-op in those games and you're basically punished for doing so.

Knowing that I'm progressively putting myself further out of the range of others the more I help them isn't fun.

Using Cheat Engine, it will probably be pretty trivial to change your soul memory number.

With that in mind, on PC you could just make sure you and your friend have identical soul numbers and you'll likely team up easy peas.

Or if you just want to team up with random people, you could still probably use CE to just lower your soul memory independent of your actual souls and level.

Is there a way to enable only texture override with GeDoSaTo?

Enabling the other features using:
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080
reportedHz 60

presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

keeps give me this problem:
B17B7BF8765431F3EF3D71283352D720DF569400

disable_steam_overlay_by_aloo81-d7fu1b1.gif

I can't find my way to the Forest of the Giants. I googled, I youTubed, and fucking annoyingly enough, NO ONE SHOWS HOW TO GET THERE. Just everyone SAYS howw to, and I tried, but it's not there.

darksoulsii_2014_04_25_02_53_26_08_by_aloo81-d7fvny6.png

The entrance on the lower left.

How do you light a torch at a bonfire? I know I have a torch, I've found one several times now. But I have no option to light it at bonfires :/

Also, anyone know what the difference between the dex and str attack stats are?

Hit Triangle/Y and it'll switch the prompt to light torch.

Dex is generally swifter weapons such as katanas and daggers where strength goes along with the massive swords/clubs/etc

OK, this looks pretty great. What are you using, and what specs do you have, if you don't mind?
That's with messed up SGSSAA so it can look much better. I have a GTX670/i53570K
When I set the game to 1920x1080 which fixed the SGSSAA(4X) and HBAO+/Sweetfx I was getting a pretty solid 60, but there are drops to 50 or so when enemies disintegrate.

Booshka

yo these silky birds...

gave them the petrified rock gift, they gave me a demons great hammer, which needs 50 STR to use LOL

You can halve the STR requirements of a weapon by 2 handing it.

Most STR weapons should be 2 handed the vast majority of the time, get your STR to 25 and start swinging.

K.Sabot

I went to 4chan against my best interest and apparently they put in a screamer in DkSII as anti-piracy.

Unconfirmed but completely awesome. Just uttering the word screamer puts chills down my spine these days.

Like I am fucking scared out of my wits that I'll run into one just by seeing the word.

I went to 4chan against my best interest and apparently they put in a screamer in DkSII as anti-piracy.

Unconfirmed but completely awesome. Just uttering the word screamer puts chills down my spine these days.

Like I am fucking scared out of my wits that I'll run into one just by seeing the word.

Hahahaha.

Oh man, that's fucking amazing. I can't wait to see it on youtube.

Vuze

Haha, I love when devs mess with pirates. Crysis' chicken "anti-piracy" was also hilarious.

AmyS

While you guys enjoy 60fps Dark Souls II on PC, I finnally made made a bit of progress in the first Dark Souls on PS3. I actually defeated the first boss! I took down the
Asylum Demon!
Then explored as much as I could and killed as much as I could (I am using TWO swords now!) before getting overwhelmed with by enemies that attacked 2 or 3 at a time.

Also tried to play more Demon's Souls, but didn't make any progress. No idea what to do and I think I'm still near the very start of the game. I guess I need to restore my humanity?
It's tough going.

I still have a long way to go before I become anything beyond a mere n00b at the Souls series. Maybe by the time I've become just a decent player, I'll have some modest midrange PC that'll handle DSII maxed out without breaking a sweat.

I am so
Prepared to DIE. Over & over & over, and over again.
AND AGAIN and AGAIN!

Rhaknar

finished demon souls

finished dark souls...twice

first death in dark souls 2 is in...the fucking tutorial >_>
tried to jump down a hole with a guy down there, the hole was deeper than i thought, lost 2/3 landing and missed him, and he stun locked me ANd a archer above finished me off o/

Trickster

So I just killed what I guess must be the first boss in the game
big tall skinny monster with a hole in his face

Can it really be that the next area after killing that boss is the area filled with those
turtle like monster with the huge ass hammers
? That area seems fucking nuts

cripterion

Is there a different thread to talk about the story, gameplay elements, how to okay co-op? I was greeted with a nice intro but I'm clueless about the world not having played the previous titles. I can see some shadow of myself? I have no clue what I'm doing lol

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
While you guys enjoy 60fps Dark Souls II on PC, I finnally made made a bit of progress in the first Dark Souls on PS3. I actually defeated the first boss! I took down the
Asylum Demon!
Then explored as much as I could and killed as much as I could before getting overwhelmed with by enemies that attacked 2 or 3 at a time.

Also tried to play more Demon's Souls, but didn't make any progress. No idea what to do and I think I'm still near the very start of the game. I guess I need to restore my humanity?
It's tough going.

I still have a long way to go before I become anything beyond a mere n00b at the Souls series. Maybe by the time I've become just a decent player, I'll have some modest midrange PC that'll handle DSII maxed out without breaking a sweat.

I am so
Prepared to DIE. Over & over & over, and over again.
AND AGAIN and AGAIN!

My recommendation?

Stick to one souls game. They're already so demanding and (Dark Souls especially) so large that it's easy to lose track of where you are. Pick one, dig in, stay at it.

Gazoinks

finished demon souls

tried to jump down a hole with a guy down there, the hole was deeper than i thought, lost 2/3 landing and missed him, and he stun locked me ANd a archer above finished me off o/

Don't worry, I died in the first room of the tutorial! I assumed the dogs were tutorial enemies and attacked them. >.>

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
In Dark Souls 1 pressing B slides you down a ladder.

In Dark Souls 2 pressing B jumps off the ladder.

Thus was my first death in Dark souls 2.

AmyS

My recommendation?

Stick to one souls game. They're already so demanding and (Dark Souls especially) so large that it's easy to lose track of where you are. Pick one, dig in, stay at it.

Sounds like good advice.

Demon's Souls it is then.

finished demon souls

lol, that was also my first death and that was also when
I got the achievement "This is Dark Souls" :D

zkylon

zkylewd
is curse pretty trivial in dks2?
like that shiny knight has been sticking his purple sword in me a bunch of times already

Sanctuary

Ah, so ADP is pretty important after all, then? It seems like a really weird stat, in a way. Dark Souls 1 had a fairly clear-cut separation between the core action mechanics and the RPG mechanics. Would it be accurate to say Dark Souls 2 mixes them up a little more, in the sense that the effectiveness of things like rolling are much more tied to your character's stats?.

There was a lot of debate about whether or not ADP was worth it at all (technically it's not ADP, but the agility that you can gain from both ADP and ATT; where ADP gives slightly higher returns). I was one of those that felt like it did absolutely nothing, but my initial "testing" was very flawed. It was on some enemies that have sketchy hitboxes.

Regardless, I took the time to see if it was more than just a placebo effect and if it really did improve the i-frames for dodging and wasn't just for "fast flask". It definitely does affect your dodge, but the investment is not cheap. You need a minimum of 80 agility (through ADP, ATT or both) before it starts to become worth it, and around 100 you can really tell the difference.

You do not need to raise your agility at all to finish the game, and can just use a shield if you prefer that to dodging, but if you're trying to dual-wield, it's one of your best options.

feel

Holy shit it's almost 4 am and I got stuff to do in the morning. These days, only Souls games can truly grab me and make me forget about my surroundings.

Teknoman

In Dark Souls 1 pressing B slides you down a ladder.

In Dark Souls 2 pressing B jumps off the ladder.

Thus was my first death in Dark souls 2.

Pretend like you're running down the ladder, that makes your character slide now.

Also i'm surprised people are saying its harder. If anything, its about the same difficulty imo. I've died from some dumb mistakes / sneaky traps, but for the most part they were avoidable.

Really liking how smooth all the animations are.

Lazyslob

Banned
is it just me or is there a weird little delay when you left up your shield? in dk1 using the shield was pretty snappy but here i click and like a half second later then it finally raises up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom