• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking entered a misty door thinking it was another area, the game made me comfortable thinking these weren't dangerous again. Now I'm fucked because all my souls are in the other side and
dragon rider
is in the other side. His tells are too hard and require me to be too fast. Any tips?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Lol @ deprived class, anyone go with that one from the start?

That's me!

It totally screwed me too!

In the forest, I had broken 6 of my 7 weapons, and the only unbroken one was a shield. I ended up having to just sprint through the level until I got to a bonfire so that I would have some hope of survival.

Pretend like you're running down the ladder, that makes your character slide now.

Also i'm surprised people are saying its harder. If anything, its about the same difficulty imo. I've died from some dumb mistakes / sneaky traps, but for the most part they were avoidable.

Really liking how smooth all the animations are.

Yep! I ended up figuring it out, but that first time it bit me in the ass lol.

Vaporak

The Pursuer is annoying the hell out of me. Everybody says parry him but parrying in this game is so fucked.

He telegraphs his attacks pretty heavily, so you can look for them to clue you in to when to roll towards him and get some attacks in.

Feltrol

Banned
Fucking entered a misty door thinking it was another area, the game made me comfortable thinking these weren't dangerous again. Now I'm fucked because all my souls are in the other side and
dragon rider
is in the other side. His tells are too hard and require me to be too fast. Any tips?

All I did was to roll to the right when he was about to do an attack. Most of the times you will dodge it and he will become vulnerable to attacks.

Teknoman

dragon rider

Run in, snag souls, homeward bone outta there.

dragon rider

Dodge his attacks, hes probably the easiest boss in the game

Jarate

Banned
anybody know of a good way to show fps while the game is running

im disappointed in my 670 though, couldn't handle the game in 4k ;-;

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can halve the STR requirements of a weapon by 2 handing it.

Most STR weapons should be 2 handed the vast majority of the time, get your STR to 25 and start swinging.

im too much of a pussy to 2h weapons

cripterion

That's me!

It totally screwed me too!

In the forest, I had broken 6 of my 7 weapons, and the only unbroken one was a shield. I ended up having to just sprint through the level until I got to a bonfire so that I would have some hope of survival.

Yep! I ended up figuring it out, but that first time it bit me in the ass lol.

I only played the tutorial in DS1 so I'm a newb, I'll go with knight. I still don't understand what the deal is with the shadows I keep seeing, I can see other players time to time.

d00d3n

first death in dark souls 2 is in...the fucking tutorial >_>
tried to jump down a hole with a guy down there, the hole was deeper than i thought, lost 2/3 landing and missed him, and he stun locked me ANd a archer above finished me off o/

There is no shame in dying in the tutorial in DS2. If you investigate
the ogre guarding a chest towards the end of the level, the additional ogre from a weird camera angle can easily kill you (that is, unless you spoil the surprise). I certainly died. Actually, I assumed that the "This is Dark Souls" achievement was a reward for this specific instant-death scenario when I played on PS3, but it is interesting to learn that it is a reward for any death.
(spoiler about tutorial)

Run in, snag souls, homeward bone outta there.
All I did was to roll to the right when he was about to do an attack. Most of the times you will dodge it and he will become vulnerable to attacks.

Completely forgot I had a homeward bone. After I get my souls back and level up some stats I'll try your method Feltrol, never considered he might be like the shield and sword old knights where you can literally circle around them without any worries.

Dodge his attacks, hes probably the easiest boss in the game

Well jeez thank you, here I was just standing there thinking "hey maybe his vision consists of movement" but now I know. lol

Sanctuary

I only played the tutorial in DS1 so I'm a newb, I'll go with knight. I still don't understand what the deal is with the shadows I keep seeing, I can see other players time to time.

You're just seeing other people that are near bonfires. Typically people will drop a summon sign either right next to the entrance of a boss room, or next to a bonfire to help clear a level with the host. You can also touch a blood stain to see how another person died.

I'm giving it a shot. Never done it before. Should only be a challenge for a short duration.

The fastest clear of the game (hour and a half) was with a dual-wielding depraved using two basic clubs.

Jintor

What's with this white knight sitting around? I've run into him twice. He won't say anything, but on the other hand, he's not spearing me through my ribcage, so I guess i'm cool with him.

Teknoman

Shadows are just other players in that area. You can summon people through white signs scrawled on the ground.

Protip: Talk to everyone multiple times until they repeat themselves. You never know.

cripterion

You're just seeing other people that are near bonfires. Typically people will drop a summon sign either right next to the entrance of a boss room, or next to a bonfire to help clear a level with the host.

The fastest clear of the game (hour and a half) was with a dual-wielding depraved using two basic clubs.

So I can see other players in a safe area, but not when I'm out questing unless I "summon" them?

Edit : ok thx for the answers. I'm going right in. Got rid of the items that cluttered my inventory and kept a crassy looking shield lol

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes. Getting cursed is like dying without actually dying. You just lose a portion of your max overall health til you reverse it.
does hitting a bonfire reverse it?

cos it sounds pretty lame heh

b fkn legit bro

I'm so scared I won't even buy it. Just watching from afar with a big smile on my face.
well i dunno if you're kidding or not but i don't like that sort of shit so i'll just clear off for now

ehh....

Don't pirate the game.
i'm not

ilsArt7Chpp0q.png

just don't like that shit being in my game and randomly going off cos who knows what

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There is no shame in dying in the tutorial in DS2. If you investigate
the ogre guarding a chest towards the end of the level, the additional ogre from a weird camera angle can easily kill you (that is, unless you spoil the surprise). I certainly died. Actually, I assumed that the "This is Dark Souls" achievement was a reward for this specific instant-death scenario when I played on PS3, but it is interesting to learn that it is a reward for any death.
(spoiler about tutorial)

I saw the second ogre and ran like a little girl (actually my character IS a girl, not little tho). They were guarding a chest? oh well :(

Teknoman

What's with this white knight sitting around? I've run into him twice. He won't say anything, but on the other hand, he's not spearing me through my ribcage, so I guess i'm cool with him.

I was this close to thinking he was a surprise enemy...but too many blood stains nearby that early on.

Don't pirate the game.

Is this confirmed from pirated copies? I mean I'd laugh if they did it because it'd be a fantastic way to troll pirates. Like with Arkham Asylum's no gliding Batman.

I saw the second ogre and ran like a little girl (actually my character IS a girl, not little tho). They were guarding a chest? oh well :(

Would you believe me if I said that the second I walked down I was staring at the obvious one and when the second one appeared behind me I screamed at the top of my lungs waking up my roommate?

Sanctuary

So I can see other players in a safe area, but not when I'm out questing unless I "summon" them?

Edit : ok thx for the answers. I'm going right in. Got rid of the items that cluttered my inventory and kept a crassy looking shield lol

You should also be able to touch blood stains to see how they died. Although honestly, I might just be confused with the previous two games that allowed that. I do not remember if you can even do that in this game (but I think you can).

cheezcake

Anyone else having issues connecting to game server?

Was working fine earlier today, but got disconnected from the server about an hour ago and haven't been able to connect since.

Teknoman

Examine bloodstains to check to see what mistakes were made by others too.

dreamfall

Loving it thus far, although the inability to properly grind kind of upsets me.

After a certain number of times, the enemies do despawn? I've always kind of loved the flow of it/leveling to make encounters easier for myself.

Bandit, right now- looking for hooded armor! Also paranoid about leveling these starting weapons too fully. Just beat
The Dragonrider so easily after seriously struggling with Pursuer

I'm really enjoying it!

does hitting a bonfire reverse it?

cos it sounds pretty lame heh

well i dunno if you're kidding or not but i don't like that sort of shit so i'll just clear off for now

ehh....

Nah, you get your health back the same way you get your health back after dying, Human Effigies. And yeah, the new curse mechanic is pretty lame. It's more of a mild annoyance than a heavy penalty. On the other hand, poison wrecks your shit now and toxin is even worse.

d00d3n

There's crossbows in the back that mop the floor with him

Regarding this boss
the pursuer
strategy, I would add:
Don't summon for help. The boss will have more health and will not go down with one ballista shot and a single strike (like when you solo). His movement pattern is extremely predictable when you first enter the boss fog, so use that to your advantage by letting him "charge you" in the path of one of the ballistas. Run to the ballista and fire one time. Finish him off with one strike with any weapon. If you are unlucky, the boss will fire off a ranged attack at the ballista before you have a chance to shoot. This will destroy the ballista, so you have to restart the battle or go through the tedious process of repositioning the boss in the path of the second ballista (which he can also destroy)

Rhaknar

I killed
3 little pigs, they kept chasing me, I had no choice! Took ages too >_>

K.Sabot

Dude I would be scared if I owned the game at all, like what if changing the ex so you wouldn't see the logos before the game started (which is possible and popular) caused it to trigger that thing.

I nearly have a seizure every time I get caught by one of those... things. I am not taking any chances.

cripterion

I can see a monster's tail wagging in the distance, it's starting!

On a side note I just saw one of them ghost players go right through a tree lol

Dude I would be scared if I owned the game at all, like what if changing the ex so you wouldn't see the logos before the game started (which is possible and popular) caused it to trigger that thing.

I nearly have a seizure every time I get caught by one of those... things. I am not taking any chances.

I remember when my friend showed me that "death clock" screamer. You literally spend a couple of minutes in this flash thing putting in your date, weight, height, age, and all this info thinking it's one of those websites that calculate your time of death like in the IT Crowd.

Needless to say it wasn't.

d00d3n

... ran like a little girl (actually my character IS a girl, not little tho). They were guarding a chest? oh well :(

Actually, it is interesting that you say that. It is a special chest
that you sleep in which changes your sex. I was fully armored at the time and didn't recognize the effect until much later, which made me think that I had a serious save file corrupting bug.

kanuuna

It means people who have a history of any VAC bans are blocked from connecting to Dark Souls 2 servers.

Well, I guess I'm glad I skipped it for the time being then - I thought about double dipping and getting the PC version, but I don't see a good reason to pay 50€ to play it offline. My Steam account was slammed with VAC bans 8 years ago, and I don't really fancy switching between my main and another account just to play another game.

Herla

I started the game, spent about 1 hour trying to make a decent looking face then had my first death falling off a cliff because of the new jump.

I deleted that character, couldn't bear the shame.

Trickster

Someone please tell me where I'm supposed to go after the first boss. Going crazy trying to clear this area with a lot of those big bulky ninja turtle looking enemies. They just seem way to hard compared to the stuff I killed just before coming to this area

Twinduct

Reading on the forums there is a bit of worry about it as it actually demutes your audio and maxes it from the volume control side. Kind of like a trojan heh.

Pretty sure it will get removed sooner than later, it's more of a catch all solution right now as oppose to a specific solution for cracked binaries.

Funny enough from what I have read it's already removed by the crack group of a specific release. So From has little reason not to remove it from the Steam version.

Someone please tell me where I'm supposed to go after the first boss. Going crazy trying to clear this area with a lot of those big bulky ninja turtle looking enemies. They just seem way to hard compared to the stuff I killed just before coming to this area

You should have gotten a key drop from the first boss. Go back and check all the locked doors you passed.

Why did I pick deprived? I seriously can't hold shit, I'm level 6 trying to beat the first boss. I feel so weak.

Also what's the difference between the small and normal sized white soap stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom