• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did I pick deprived? I seriously can't hold shit, I'm level 6 trying to beat the first boss. I feel so weak.

Also what's the difference between the small and normal sized white soap stone?

The duration the summon can last and the reward for a successful summon. The small soapstone is very short duration, but the reward is a
small smooth and silky stone. The only way to farm them.
The large Soapstone will give a
Token of Fidelity or a Sun Medal when defeating a boss.

WTF is up with the parry and riposte mechanic in DkS 2. It's been nerfed to hell and back as compared to DkS. I nearly died during the tutorial mission trying to pull it off, until I realised you have to WAIT until the monster goes on its arse, and then are you allowed to riposte.

Man, they're really discouraging you to do it ad infinitum like the previous games I suppose. Good thing backstabs work the same way.

Anybody know if we can change the text of death screen? I remember seeing the video for DS1 where somebody wrote "the holocaust is a lie" each time he died and I'd love to change mine if it doesn't fuck up my whole game.

Jintor

Someone please tell me where I'm supposed to go after the first boss. Going crazy trying to clear this area with a lot of those big bulky ninja turtle looking enemies. They just seem way to hard compared to the stuff I killed just before coming to this area

son get yourself a blunt weapon before you fight them turtle knights

Sande

Someone please tell me where I'm supposed to go after the first boss. Going crazy trying to clear this area with a lot of those big bulky ninja turtle looking enemies. They just seem way to hard compared to the stuff I killed just before coming to this area
That's a dead end.
You can go
through another locked door in the forest and to another area from Majula.

d00d3n

Can it really be that the next area after killing that boss is the area filled with those
turtle like monster with the huge ass hammers
? That area seems fucking nuts

I wouldn't spoil for myself, but
the area you are describing is optional. I did it much later in the game and it was still quite hard as a pure melee

d00d3n

It took 2hours and 19minutes before I encountered that familiar and haunting red text, all due to the insanely configured keyboard bindings that resulted in a potion swig when I least wanted it. :(

http://a.pomf.se/mahacz.webm

That encounter can be kind of hard even without keyboard pressing mistakes. When the trap has been triggered lots of dudes with big swords will swarm you. The easy cheese strategy for the encounter is to
climb up the nearby ladder or run away far enough to make the mob less aggressive. When you return the guys will not be working together anymore. They will wander aimlessly, easy to pick off one by one.

Wow! The second bonfire in
Forest of the Fallen Giants
is horrendously placed.

Got stuck there for a bit, blasting through all my life gems before reading up that
there's nothing to do there

Am I supposed to have 1 estus at this point? Only one heal is making things quite difficult.

Progress report: joined Company of Champions (no idea what it does, guess it's a hard mode?), ran around for several hours without Estus or leveling up, beat the first boss, got super lost and entered a coffin boat. No idea what that does either. What a fantastic game, they didn't drop the sense of mystery at all!

Also running my classic Halberd, which I was happy to find. 2H strong attack is so beastly.

Oh my gosh, hooked up my PC to my TV and ran the PS3 version of the game at the same time and went to Majula on both. The difference is insane, although of course SGSSAA makes it somewhat unfair. But man, the difference in clarity and even just the fluidity of turning is something else.

How does one fix the Nvidia HDMI blackcrush issue on TVs though?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is praise the sun a DS meme or something? I keep reading it in the messages.

tumblr_ma3locRh9x1rcfcwlo1_1280.jpg

its a character from DS1, Solaire, he worships the sun

Zemm

Completely fucked off with this game already, I have to unplug the HDMI then start the game to get it running, then when in game I have no option for 1080p. Fucking joke.

Is praise the sun a DS meme or something? I keep reading it in the messages.

Sort of. A popular character in DS1 said it and even has a gesture named after it. From decided it was worth keeping in DS2 which seems to be only fan service since it doesn't seem to have any lore merit in this game.

Progress report: joined Company of Champions (no idea what it does, guess it's a hard mode?), ran around for several hours without Estus or leveling up, beat the first boss, got super lost and entered a coffin boat. No idea what that does either. What a fantastic game, they didn't drop the sense of mystery at all!

Also running my classic Halberd, which I was happy to find. 2H strong attack is so beastly.

So much for accessibility huh.

Completely fucked off with this game already, I have to unplug the HDMI then start the game to get it running, then when in game I have no option for 1080p. Fucking joke.

That's weird. I've been playing with headphones to get around the HDMI issue but when I plug in my HDMI after the game starts I have all options. I can't play in 1080p if I want the game to run smoothly with the textures I chose, but I have the option.

nbthedude

I did. I also didn't figure out how to level up for about two hours haha. Joined the company of champions too because why not.

Why did I pick deprived? I seriously can't hold shit, I'm level 6 trying to beat the first boss. I feel so weak.

Also what's the difference between the small and normal sized white soap stone?

Seriously, Deprived really is "hard mode" now, at least at the start. It really wasn't in Dark Souls 1 but now you have to really scramble:

-you can't even one hand any of your weapons at the start

-your weapons break due to overuse

-you start at soul level 1 where as other classes start much higher

A buddy of mine started a knight and breezed through the first few areas and the boss of Forrest of the Fallen Giants. Meanwhile I was scrounging through the intro area and getting my ass BEAT in Forrest due to being like five levels lower than him with broken, shitty equipment. I still havne't beaten it yet but at least I'm close.

I'm now worried all these lost souls are really going to bite me in the ass doubly since you technically have less experience points opportunities than someone that starts with a bunch free via their level. Oh well, I guess there is always helping people do boss runs to make up the difference.

Arjen

Wow! The second bonfire in
Forest of the Fallen Giants
is horrendously placed.

Got stuck there for a bit, blasting through all my life gems before reading up that
there's nothing to do there

Am I supposed to have 1 estus at this point? Only one heal is making things quite difficult.

You can turn in estes flask shards at the emerald for more. You should have found at least 2 more by now, maybe even three

Zemm

That's weird. I've been playing with headphones to get around the HDMI issue but when I plug in my HDMI after the game starts I have all options. I can't play in 1080p if I want the game to run smoothly with the textures I chose, but I have the option.

I don't know what to do, it seems like no one else has this problem and the game looks ugly as hell at 720p.

nbthedude

This game kind of sucks compared to dark souls 1...

I actually like most of the changes I recognize over all.

THINGS I LIKE BETTER IN DARK SOULS 2 SO FAR:

-much more diverse color pallet

-higher risk of backstabbing

-dynamic, aggressive enemies w/ shield breaker attacks forcing you to not rely on turtling/counter attack tactics too heavily (a crutch in the original game).

-genuine 60 fps really makes a huge difference in how smooth the game feels; it almost feels kind of "arcadey" smooth now.

-online is way more lively than DS1, ghosts blood stains, messages, summons everywhere thanks to no shitty GFWL

-lot more open areas with bigger sense of scope

-jump on separate button is nice (also jump animation and sound 10x better)

THINGS I LIKE BETTER IN DARK SOULS 1 SO FAR:

-B making you jump off of ladders is stupid unless it comes into play somehow later in the game

-this new agility stat really makes rolling kind of suck early on (especially for us deprives)

-enemies that are too low to the ground for me to swing and hit are kind of bullshit

-having to go to a person rather than any bondfire to upgrade seems unnecessarily tedious, especially since you can just warp from the bondfire to the person, making it just require some needless extra time for no good reason.

-Snuggy's sped up voices are stupid.

-lore and dialog doesn't seem as cohesive and dense

ufo8mycat

Have decided to be a Cleric user for my PC playthrough. I was a Bandit during my 360 playthrough.

I am excited to be using spells/miracles!

So far the game is definitely easier using spells/miracles compared to melee combat. Much less rick and you can pretty much keep your distance and spam.

I must admit though, graphically I am disappointed with the PC version. Yes it is 60fps and yes it does look crisper with some more particle effects compared to the 360 version, but that's really about it. I guess i shouldn't really be surprised, but given the hardware power gap between the 360/PS3 era and a high-end PC and this is all we get, kind of annoying :p

Nonetheless I am looking to kick some ass as a Cleric!

cheezcake

Forcing HBAO+ through NV Inspector doesn't seem to be quite as flawless as Durantes artcile made it out to be, some pretty funny results

For one it looks like its rendered on top of alpha effects

On the plus side you can see how good the HBAO+ algorithm is

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For you 120hz users who are bummed out about lack of 120fps support, I really, really recommend you try out 3D. It looks super fuckin tight.

Dynamic shadows are at wrong depth, so I disabled those and I disabled DoF, since real 3D doesn't need it. It looks damned incredible.

1440p, SMAA, VSSAO2, SweetFx

darksoulsii004_by_aloo81-d7fvtcw.jpg

darksoulsii006_by_aloo81-d7fvtcq.jpg

darksoulsii011_by_aloo81-d7fvtcl.jpg

(Those without 3D glasses, you can always cross your eyes to make the images overlap to get an idea of what the 3D looks like in game. Test example/instructions below)

Seriously, Deprived really is "hard mode" now, at least at the start. It really wasn't in Dark Souls 1 but now you have to really scramble:

-you can't even one hand any of your weapons at the start

-your weapons break due to overuse

-you start at soul level 1 where as other classes start much higher

A buddy of mine started a knight and breezed through the first few areas and the boss of Forrest of the Fallen Giants. Meanwhile I was scrounging through the intro area and getting my ass BEAT in Forrest due to being like five levels lower than him with broken, shitty equipment. I still havne't beaten it yet but at least I'm close.

I'm now worried all these lost souls are really going to bite me in the ass doubly since you technically have less experience points opportunities than someone that starts with a bunch free via their level. Oh well, I guess there is always helping people do boss runs to make up the difference.

I went through the same situation as you.

I ended up with 7 weapons, 6 completely broken and the final one being the shield.

I recommend you just sprint though the first area of the forest until you get to the second bonfire. There's a merchant there where you can buy the key to unlock the blacksmiths shop, and then you can repair weapons.

Once you can repair weapons things even out really quickly.

Also, If you rest at a bonfire before a weapon fully degrades, it gets restored to full durability.

d00d3n

You can find two estus shards super easily from where you are in the game. (give to the level up lady)
1.Strike the stone resting on the well in majula. 2. Smash the destroyable door up the stairs from the cardinal tower bonfire in the forest

AmyS

Oh my gosh, hooked up my PC to my TV and ran the PS3 version of the game at the same time and went to Majula on both. The difference is insane, although of course SGSSAA makes it somewhat unfair. But man, the difference in clarity and even just the fluidity of turning is something else.

Even though I have no way of playing it right now, I'm hoping the release of Dark Souls II PC will will get a good portion of people who still say they notice little to no difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS in games in general, to see that 60 FPS really does make at least a major difference, if not a massive one. It's not important that every single game in every genre runs at 60, but it certainly makes most games that do a better experience.

Meneses

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before:

I feel that I must be missing something, but when I go to the armor shop, is there no way to see the stat improvement that a piece of equipment gives you over what you currently have equipped (like the red and blue numbers you get when just equipping stuff)?

I can't remember if it was like this in DS1.

cripterion

Can't find for the life of me how to jump with the 360 gamepad, doesn't help that when I go to the controls it's showing me keyboard prompts

I finally found a fix for the "Dark Souls II has stopped responding" error when launching the game and it is quite easy really all you require is a HDMI cable.

Two methods I'll explain first the longer way if you want to play on your TV while hooked up to your PC:

Have Monitor be DVI while TV HDMI:

1.Boot Up game
2.While loading and on white screen,immediately press Windows key+P and select Computer Only and press enter.
3.Voila

or

Monitor be both DVI and HDMI,then when booting up game press Windows Key+P and select Computer Only, then switch your monitor to HDMI mode and voila the game should already be running.

Why I have to do this to run it and only this game is beyond me, however it beats having the game just sitting there in steam unused.

Great game and shamefully I died 5 times trying to kill the first ogre just to get the ring in the starter area.(Got to greedy and hitbox is way different to Dark Souls, enemies seem to hit you from a further distance then DS1.)

Grassy

I killed
3 little pigs, they kept chasing me, I had no choice! Took ages too >_>

I was too embarrassed to even post how long it took me to kill these little buggers, I thought I could just run away from them... I climbed up on a rock but the bastards got up there too ...they're no joke, I won't be going near that corner for a while.

I also died twice before I even came across an enemy in this game so I've had a rough initiation :p

I must say though it runs extremely well and I'm surprised by how good it looks, especially with Durante's excellent work applied.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
THINGS I LIKE BETTER IN DARK SOULS 1 SO FAR:

-B making you jump off of ladders is stupid unless it comes into play somehow later in the game

If you hold down B, you can press down on the left stick to slide down, and up on the left stick to sort of "sprint" up it.

Also, there was a point that I was on a ladder with an enemy beneath me, jumped off it and plunged my axe into his skull, flattening him. That was preeeetty satisfying.

For you 120hz users who are bummed out about lack of 120fps support, I really, really recommend you try out 3D. It looks super fuckin tight.

Dynamic shadows are at wrong depth, so I disabled those and I disabled DoF, since real 3D doesn't need it. It looks damned incredible.

1440p, SMAA, VSSAO2, SweetFx

(Those without 3D glasses, you can always cross your eyes to make the images overlap to get an idea of what the 3D looks like in game.

Cross my eyes and holy shit. I can't imagine what it looks like in motion.

Gregorn

To install SweetFX you just move the files into the folder with the exe, right? Dark Souls 2 doesn't load at all when I put sweetfx in there, is there something else I've got to do?

Edit- don't worry, fixed it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got to forrest of giants, feels like the first proper zone.
That white knight dude almost killed me 3 or 4 times, the stunlocking in the game takes a bit to get used to, but I still 1 shot him
. saved at the keh heh heh lady, might try a sorc while im still early in the game, see how that feels. My knight feels too much like how i played the first one

Loving the game so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom