• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Damnit, can't get my X360 wireless controller to work with this - the game recognizes it but nothing happens.

Remove all other controllers, including any bluetooth dongles that have previously had controllers connected to them.

oddjobs

Remove all other controllers, including any bluetooth dongles that have previously had controllers connected to them.

I only have the dongle for the controller and another for mouse/kb, will have to snoop around later, I'm hearing some stuff about fucking around in device manager etc.

ufo8mycat

Dang playing this game as a Cleric Spells/Miracles user compared to a Melee combat class, makes this game sooooo much easier. I honestly feel like I am cheating.

You can just cast Lightning spear - for example on Old Iron King and kill him before he even reaches you!

On a lot of these bosses, you can just keep your distance and spam. Seems like the majority of these bosses were designed for Melee combat.

d00d3n

Goddamn, sword broke! Where can I repair?

You have to explore the forest.
Reach the cardinal tower bonfire. Buy the key from the merchant for 1000 souls. Teleport back to majula and open the door for the blacksmith, who will gladly repair your gear

d00d3n

The Old Dragonslayer
is handing me my ass, can't seem to get any hits on him, he's incredibly fast and I seem to be incredibly slow.

Summon a faith caster for lightning spear cheese fest if you have no honor ... Otherwise, most players will probably be slower than him. Take things really slow. One hit at a time, always having extra stamina to deal with his combos.

I don't know what to do, it seems like no one else has this problem and the game looks ugly as hell at 720p.

no the HDMI issue is pretty widespread and happens to most if not everybody playing with HDMI. I recall somebody else saying they had the 720p issue. I tried seeing what the game looks like in 720p and yuck. It's fuzzy as all hell

In other news, did 360/PS3 players discover a good soul farming spot? DS1 had a couple.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You can change it back to the old way in options but I'm not sure why you'd want to. L3 is such a good jump button, I never miss my jumps anymore.

Yeah, I've pulled off some pretty cool jumps with it!

I had to quickly do a soul retrieval run in Heide's Tower, so I sprinted past the first giant, up the stairs, past the mace wielding one, then all the way down the bridge and into the room with the 3 giants and grabbed my souls.

Then I ran back, and while I was on the stairs after the bridge going back, I jumped from the stairs, over that high ledge, leaving the giants behind up top and was able to skirt back to the bonfire unscathed.

It sounds dumb and simple but I feel like pulling it off would have been more difficult in DS1.

ufo8mycat

Summon a faith caster for lightning spear cheese fest if you have no honor ... Otherwise, most players will probably be slower than him. Take things really slow. One hit at a time, always having extra stamina to deal with his combos.

There is also another cheap tactic you can use on him by circle strafing him when you are up close to him. Sadly I did this with my Bandit on the 360 version.

Using my Cleric on PC is even more cheap, just keep distance and spam away :(

cripterion

no the HDMI issue is pretty widespread and happens to most if not everybody playing with HDMI. I recall somebody else saying they had the 720p issue. I tried seeing what the game looks like in 720p and yuck. It's fuzzy as all hell

Playing on my samsung tv through HDMI in 1080P without problems here.

Adry9

Damn, I'm really having trouble holding off and waiting for it to go on sale, so tempted to go now and get the Black Armour Edition. Gaf help me out here XD

cripterion

Without the audio issue? If so congrats, you're lucky. I had to play with headphones because the HDMI audio doesn't work. Though strangely enough it worked for the opening video.

Hmm yeah having no audio issues here. Playing with extended display. On Nvidia cards.

On another note it took me forever to kill 3 rats and had to take 4 life gems to get through them, what the hell?

Just started playing and I've already wasted 10 minutes running around and pressing random buttons before figuring out how to light my torch, wasting two lifegems in the process, and I gotta say, this game runs so good on my shitty laptop, really an impressive port, at least as far as optimization goes.

What was the point of
lighting the torches on the way to Majula
anwyay?

jersoc

Seriously, Deprived really is "hard mode" now, at least at the start. It really wasn't in Dark Souls 1 but now you have to really scramble:

oh thank god, im not alone. Seriously thinking of starting over and going sorc since I want to be a spellcaster anyways

I'm playing on my TV via HDMI with no issues outside of Nvidia's patented blackcrush(help) It's a full/vs limited RGB issue right? Need to set it to limited somehow or something of that nature.

nbthedude

If you hold down B, you can press down on the left stick to slide down, and up on the left stick to sort of "sprint" up it.

Also, there was a point that I was on a ladder with an enemy beneath me, jumped off it and plunged my axe into his skull, flattening him. That was preeeetty satisfying.

Yeah I knew about the first point but still didnt' see the point.

But jumping off one and drop slashign someone sounds AWESOME, so ladder change forgiven.

KOCMOHABT

For you 120hz users who are bummed out about lack of 120fps support, I really, really recommend you try out 3D. It looks super fuckin tight.

Dynamic shadows are at wrong depth, so I disabled those and I disabled DoF, since real 3D doesn't need it. It looks damned incredible.

1440p, SMAA, VSSAO2, SweetFx

darksoulsii011_by_aloo81-d7fvtcl.jpg

Thank you soo much I love crosseye!

For you 120hz users who are bummed out about lack of 120fps support, I really, really recommend you try out 3D. It looks super fuckin tight.

Dynamic shadows are at wrong depth, so I disabled those and I disabled DoF, since real 3D doesn't need it. It looks damned incredible.

Does it require a special monitor to support 3D, or is it an effect that any 120fps monitor can do. Where is it enabled?

n0n44m

goddamn this is quite a turnaround on a technical level compared to DS1

I was playing around with Durante's (amazing) tool and that SLI bit that was posted earlier ( 0x02506405 , did cause some flickering in the background @ Majula but that disappeared at a second run? )

GTX670 2GB SLI @ 1215/3800 running 4K downsampled (bicubic) to 1080p with SMAA, Bokeh, SSAO and so on was running ~40 fps with constant 99% GPU usage on both cards !

not even games like Battlefield have such consistent SLI usage (I reckon it's because the CPU is having to do so little compared to most other graphically intense games)

without the Bokeh I get a smooth 60 fps in the first few areas I've seen :) I'll give the 3D Vision a go when I have time to actually play next week ...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
tried a bit of Sorc and im not feeling it, I dont think I like the caster style in this game. Back to my Knight methinks

cripterion

Ok I didn't know you lost all your souls I'd you died, goddamn...mob just dropped on my ass from the top, kinda like a cheap death..

Edit : ok, thank goodness you can recover them.

Vitor711

So, did I miss a tutorial? Because I have no idea how to equip a torch (can't seem to put it as a left hand weapon which I assumed was the way to use it) and had to work out the lock-on/attach buttons by myself.

It's been a while since I last played DS1 so would have been nice to have had a less brutal refresher course....

Game looks great though. Running it maxed at 1080 on my 680m equipped laptop and it's super smooth. GPU usage climbs to 74% or so at certain bonfires so not sure how much I can push it in terms of downsampling or any of the other fancy effects that durante mentioned in his last posts. I'll give it a shot though.

Coldsun

Banned
you mean the "GIFT" thing ?
if i chose something else , can i return to get them ?

If you're referring to the preorder dlc weapons, you get it after you select everything including the gift. What you choose for the gift doesn't matter in regards to the weapons.

You should simply see a pop up listing all of the items you received.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does it require a special monitor to support 3D, or is it an effect that any 120fps monitor can do. Where is it enabled?

If you personally were 3D ready, you'd know because you'd have a pair of 3D glasses as well.

My understanding is that if it's a 120hz monitor it's capable of 3D, but not all 120hz monitors are actually configured to work that way. For example, I use Nvidias 3D Vision and you'd need a 3D vision kit attached to your 120hz monitor, or it needs to come with it already installed in order for it to work.

So, did I miss a tutorial? Because I have no idea how to equip a torch (can't seem to put it as a left hand weapon which I assumed was the way to use it) and had to work out the lock-on/attach buttons by myself.

Go to a bonfire, toggle the popup message (i.e. don't rest at it) and it should prompt you to light the torch. If you switch a weapon/shield in that hand you'll need to go and light the torch again.

nbthedude

is there any mod for this game ?
i want to improve the anti aliasing

+

anyone saw this ?
6wGpBjy.jpg

Durante's new mod is awesome and is already set up to work well with Dark Souls 2.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=487

Just beware you have to turn off Steam overlay when you use it or it will glitch when you bring it up/someone messages you etc. But it makes the game POP. Even if you leave all the settings at default.

Also that sounds like an apt description of the "weapon packs." They are sales gimmick but at least From handled it right and made them items you can find on your own in the game.

UrbanRats

(Those without 3D glasses, you can always cross your eyes to make the images overlap to get an idea of what the 3D looks like in game. Test example/instructions below)

I went through the same situation as you.

I ended up with 7 weapons, 6 completely broken and the final one being the shield.

I recommend you just sprint though the first area of the forest until you get to the second bonfire. There's a merchant there where you can buy the key to unlock the blacksmiths shop, and then you can repair weapons.

Once you can repair weapons things even out really quickly.

Also, If you rest at a bonfire before a weapon fully degrades, it gets restored to full durability.
Tried it, indeed it looks cool.

Though as always, stereo 3d really exposes games' trickery, of everything that isn't polygonal (so normal maps become useless, basically).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom