• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjica

yea i wondered the same

it's also a death trap if you port there

The Tree Giant in that place give you the item that when burned at the bonfire, enemy attack invaders if they come in your world

But of course, thanks to FROM, invasion in NG are so rare so that item is useless.

zkylon

zkylewd
The Tree Giant in that place give you the item that when burned at the bonfire, enemy attack invaders if they come in your world

But of course, thanks to FROM, invasion in NG are so rare so that item is useless.
i still don't know how to activate those :p

nbthedude

They still haven't fixed the CTD problem? lmao.

How do you know it's the exact same problem?

This is like saying "Oh the sequel didn't stop the game from having an error."

As far as I know the biggest problems in the first game were related to shitty GFWL installations (and GFWL in general being shitty and not updating properly).

I don't know how wide spread this problem is, but it definitely doesn't seem as big as the GFWL one was anyway.

nbthedude

As far as I know Dark Souls 2 doesn't have its own screenshot function. I'm using a program called MSI Afterburner to take screenshots.

Sure it does. It's steamworks.

WIth a controller in big picture mode it's just L+R+Live button at the same time.

Or on keyboard (outside of big picture mode or in) F12 by default.

Both of these can be changed in the steam options, however to whatever key you want.

RK9039

How do you know it's the exact same problem?

This is like saying "Oh the sequel didn't stop the game from having an error."

As far as I know the biggest problems in the first game were related to shitty GFWL installations (and GFWL in general being shitty and not updating properly).

I don't know how wide spread this problem is, but it definitely doesn't seem as big as the GFWL one was anyway.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754259718155271/#p3

Game crashes upon start-up

We are currently investigating and escalating this issue.
Some possible work-arounds can be found here: (http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754259683457381/) Thank you Keys for the post.
We'll keep this space updated as we know more.

At least DS1 actually launched.

eot

Banned
I'm using headphones and a lot of times it sounds like there's an enemy behind me when in fact it's the one I'm looked onto making walking sounds. Anyone else encountered that?

Heya I would like to test if we can load someone else's save and was wondering if someone could upload a save somewhere?
It doesn't need to be far at all, just a bit past character creation is fine, and you don't have to worry about online in case the save stores anything from you, I'll be in offline mode the whole time (internet disabled).

Thanks to whoever can help me ^^

Anteater

that fucking character creator man

darksoulsii_2014_04_2t9j1u.jpg
I ended up making a edward norton lookalike and had to redo

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Any way to reset your Steam achievements?

So do any aspects of Durante's DS2 mod actually increase game performance in any way? Or it's all for new fancy effects at the cost of performance? Because if so, I probably won't be able to get much use out of it.

elfinke

Playing on my samsung tv through HDMI in 1080P without problems here.

I'm using the Hdmi out on my 6970, to a Hdmi>Dvi adapter on my monitor. Haven't had any problems so far. Pretty ordinary issue, though. I hope it gets sorted out quickly for those affected.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Of interest, if I were to buy a physical copy of the game (European retail) and used the code with my US account...would I run into any problems?

I've noticed that a lot of PC games are released at retail still but haven't yet tried this. While ultimately still just a Steamworks game, unfortunately, I'd really much rather have the game in boxed form.

Is there ANY WAY to get rid of the damned letterboxing on 16:10 resolutions?

In DaS I could understand, as it was a bad port.

But this? After 6 more weeks of development? After saying PC was a "lead platform"? Come on, From.

nbthedude

I'm using the Hdmi out on my 6970, to a Hdmi>Dvi adapter on my monitor. Haven't had any problems so far. Pretty ordinary issue, though. I hope it gets sorted out quickly for those affected.

I wonder if the same fixes for Metal Gear Rising would work here.

For the record, I had to do windowed mode and use an external borderless window program to get Metal Gear to work full screen over HDMI.

Meanwhile, Dark Souls 2 worked for me w/o a hitch.

WTF is up with the parry and riposte mechanic in DkS 2. It's been nerfed to hell and back as compared to DkS. I nearly died during the tutorial mission trying to pull it off, until I realised you have to WAIT until the monster goes on its arse, and then are you allowed to riposte.

Man, they're really discouraging you to do it ad infinitum like the previous games I suppose. Good thing backstabs work the same way.

Yep I love parrying in DS1, and the general character movement, rolling, jumping, responsiveness feel so much better in DS1. Adapt or die (frequently).

that fucking character creator man

I ended up making a edward norton lookalike and had to redo

I love the improved character creator.

8K0wNtj.jpg

I don't know if they changed the rat covenant, but it's taking me 10x as long to get a match. It's really annoying. I still have 5 more tails to go before I'm done with this covenant (not even trying for rank 3).

nbthedude

Of interest, if I were to buy a physical copy of the game (European retail) and used the code with my US account...would I run into any problems?

I've noticed that a lot of PC games are released at retail still but haven't yet tried this. While ultimately still just a Steamworks game, unfortunately, I'd really much rather have the game in boxed form.

As far as I know it's only region locked in Japan, so you should have no problems.

JimPanzer

# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 2560
renderHeight 1440
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 60

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

are these the correct gedosato settings if I want to have the game running at 1080p downsampled from 1440p? does it just overwrite the ingame settings?

nbthedude

Dark Souls was too ez for me though :(

Well there are plenty of ways to make Dark Souls 2 harder for yourself:

-Deprived class is way more handicapped than in DS1 at the start

-there is an item you can burn at bondfires to make enemies harder

-there is a covenant to make enemies harder

-you can literally kill the character(s) you use to level up forcing you to Soul Level 1 if you want.

I can't speak for other classes, but starting as a Deprived in DS2, this game has kicked my ass way more than 1 so far.

Well there are plenty of ways to make Dark Souls 2 harder for yourself:

-Deprived class is way more handicapped than in DS1 at the start

-there is an item you can burn at bondfires to make enemies harder

-there is a covenant to make enemies harder

-you can literally kill the character(s) you use to level up forcing you to Soul Level 1 if you want.

I can't speak for other classes, but starting as a Deprived in DS2, this game has kicked my ass way more than 1 so far.
Sounds good. I could basically beat Dark Souls blind-folded at some point because I played both Souls games to death. Really looking forward to the challenge.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It seems to affect people who transmit sound over HDMI too, might be the cause of this problem
Oh shit, that's how I play the game (HDMI from PC to receiver for audio and video).

How widespread is this issue? I recall Metro LL suffering from something like this at launch as well making it unplayable initially. :\

nbthedude

are these the correct gedosato settings if I want to have the game running at 1080p downsampled from 1440p? does it just overwrite the ingame settings?

You want it to be multiples to keep the same ratios.

So if you want to output at:

1920 x 1080 then multiple each of those by some other number. Thus for example:

1920 x 1.5 = 2880

1080 x 1.5 = 1620

You can multiple by any ratio. Just keep it the same ratio for both renderwidth and render heigh.

ronny_1

Neo Member
Forcing HBAO+ through NV Inspector doesn't seem to be quite as flawless as Durantes artcile made it out to be, some pretty funny results

For one it looks like its rendered on top of alpha effects

On the plus side you can see how good the HBAO+ algorithm is

Well he warns you about that, for some reason in my 470GTX only overlays on top of the alpha effects in game not in the UI

Lovin'n it so much!!

Vuze

what is your setup?

AMD 7870 (tried the two latest drivers, no difference) connected via HDMI to a 60fps 1080p LG Flatron. I don't have any other monitor cables around, so I kinda rely on HDMI. Never had problems with it in the past either.

nbthedude

nah, no dice, game won't launch, always whitescreen CTD no matter which of those tricks I tried.

Don't know what your set up is, but here's what works for me:

Set up: I have a Geforce 780 and a monitor on DVI and a Plasma TV on a HDMI.

Settings:

1) Set TV as primary display and primary audio (don't worry when you unplug it it will automatically revert to your PC display and then back again whenever you plug in your HDMI)

2) Download, install and run Durante's GeDoSaTo mod.

3) Plug in HDMI to TV and boot steam into big picture mode.

4) Turn on big picture mode in Steam and dIsable Steam In Game Interface in Steam Settings

5) Boot Darksouls.

nbthedude

AMD 7870 (tried the two latest drivers, no difference) connected via HDMI to a 60fps 1080p LG Flatron. I don't have any other monitor cables around, so I kinda rely on HDMI. Never had problems with it in the past either.

Single screen or dual screen?

w3bba

what Flatron exactly? does it have Speakers? Can you look into the monitor menu and look how the hdmi signal is handled (yes i use you now as some kind of reference point since i have the same graphics card and it works, maybe we can find some better workaround)

eot

Banned
Sounds good. I could basically beat Dark Souls blind-folded at some point because I played both Souls games to death. Really looking forward to the challenge.

I've found it a lot harder than DkS so far, which I didn't expect considering that DkS is quite easy the 6th or so time through. It might depend a lot on your starting class though (I started at lvl 1 and totally missed how you level up for a few hours). In general it seems like enemies can stunlock you much easier (95% of my deaths are getting stunlocked from the first hit then just getting pummeled), they almost always attack with combos, you often fight more than one at a time and the attack windows are much smaller than in DkS, if you run out of stamina when you block you get completely staggered etc. The health penalty makes things a lot harder too, I'm not sure how common effigies are so I'm saving them for bosses, but if you're at half your health bar getting hit once (which will make you get hit more than once) will take you down real low, which sucks because healing is super limited early on.

I am considering that some being is conspiring against me.

So, finally I discover the issue, my Logitech G13, which I use for displaying temps / gpu / cpu / various other things, was "over-riding" my DS4, even with the "preferred device" profile.

Unplugged it, DS4 works...but I lose my G13, which I find very useful...

Then, as I come here to post this.

I lose my Internet for 15 minutes.

4 hours spent getting this controller working. Then my net dies. I was sure it'd be down the entire night :p

Now it's just INCREDIBLY slow. Yay.

I'm sorry you have to go through all this :( Ironically I was thinking about your controller issue overnight and as I woke up this morning it hit me: "What if he uses other HID-Class devices that override his controller?!" :p

Well I'm glad you got that sorted, still a bummer about the G13 though :/ Have you tried plugging it in after the game runs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom