• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Dimmle

DLC "spoilers" ahoy:

Every part of my dumb video gamer pleasure center lit on fire when I discovered
the function of the sigil columns in the Sunken City.

I've dipped to ankle-depth into the first two DLC areas and I'm really impressed with the larger concepts in play. There was a lot of care put into these areas that isn't as apparent in many of the original locations.

Running in a panic from the incorporeal Sanctum wraiths until discovering their tomb and completely turning the tables is one of the most "Dark Souls" sequences I've experienced since the original game.

I'm completely mystified by what's going on with the lore in the Iron King area but they sure have nailed the atmosphere.

I'm lost, I just got to Mejula after starting it, wandered into some tower area, got absolutely slaughtered but there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to go? Really confused here.

addyb

I forgot how fast you level in this game. Already level 46 or so and only beat 3 bosses. Don't really feel any stronger because some of those levels went into ADP.

Yeah I'm the same. Im at lvl 96 and about 12 bosses down. Dont feel over levelled at all as I'm still finding new areas a struggle.

Kazuhira

03WsTZ2.gif

Sullichin

Besides soul memory, this has the best PVP / co-op in the series. I can find people to play with immediately and everyone is using different builds. I'm back in the bell tower getting chunks with the greataxe and it's just the best. As far as shit show PVP zones go, Belfry areas > forest

SkylineRKR

Besides soul memory, this has the best PVP / co-op in the series. I can find people to play with immediately and everyone is using different builds. I'm back in the bell tower getting chunks with the greataxe and it's just the best. As far as shit show PVP zones go, Belfry areas > forest

Absolutely. I have zero problems summoning while it never succeeded in Bloodborne which is hilarious. Also had lag free fights against invaders. Its good. And yeah I was hollowed last time.

AU Tiger

So I finally got around to getting back into this game now that all of the content is here. I played non stopped the release week and the week after and got to the shaded woods and ended up rage quitting at all the poison guys.

Fired it back up and had to start over (meh)

I said DAMN at all the new enemies! Everything was Heidi knights and Pursuers... seriously what cruel joke is this! I've had to fight 3 of those damn pursuer's, TWO of them in
Lost Bastion
for seemingly no reason ;_;

What is the trick to reach the dragon they added to Heide's Tower?

I'm starting to get really annoyed. The dragon itself is pitifully easy to beat. But I can't figure out how to reach it. This character doesn't have anything ranged, btw.

I spammed with lightning spears and arrows from the area below right past the rotunda with the 3 giant knights
(where the Heidi knight that gets up without you provoking him)
once I had woken him (dragon) up. He just sat there staring at me. Wondering if he can't shoot fire down at an angle or something...

Even easier than taking out the Hellkite dragon from DS1.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Finally gonna leave my GPU for repairs/replacement tomorrow, ugh. Then I'll have to wait for the RMA process for my MoBo to actually get somewhere. I am so fucking envious of all you guys now :lol I need Dark Souls in my veins

SkylineRKR

He hits me with the fire three times (and I die) if I rush though... I almost made it once by luck, but there must be a way. There has to be.

Not even a Bow? I had about 30 arrows with me, shot it at him and half of his hp was gone already. He would try to shoot me every 2 hits but its easy to evade. If I had known I would've brought 100 or so.

Then I ran up to him and ate one fire breath. Used Estus behind him and went to town.

Divius

Did you
find the 3 knights to help you? You're talking about the ivory king right? There are three (or four) knights that once released will help you fight the boss. They eventually block the portals where his minions come from.
I did not, but I am now. I didn't know I could do that, but then I put 2 and 2 together and welp... recruiting them now. I have 2, still exploring the area. Thanks anyway :D

--

Also thought this area
Dragon Shrine
was amazing, looked so great and it was fun to play as well.

If this is considered a spoiler please let me know and it'll be deleted.

M.D

Killed the Lost Sinner, fight was a joke.. the mob they put before him that is like the pirate ship boss was harder lol
What is a primal bonfire exactly?

I opened up the area with the lady that sells Pyromancy and killed the Skeleton boss (equipped my greatsword before the fight because my axe was starting to break, fight was really easy), but there's seem to be dark caves in there with skeletons that come back to life much like the first game... I also got some debuff which I think is called dark? and there was also this npc at the entrance saying something about dark..

Went for a npc search in Majula then ended opening the second path and now I'm at the poison area, got to a second bonfire and now I'm at this windmill area

This game has a lot of areas that's for sure!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Killed the Lost Sinner, fight was a joke.. the mob they put before him that is like the pirate ship boss was harder lol
What is a primal bonfire exactly?

I opened up the area with the lady that sells Pyromancy and killed the Skeleton boss (equipped my greatsword before the fight because my axe was starting to break, fight was really easy), but there's seem to be dark caves in there with skeletons that come back to life much like the first game... I also got some debuff which I think is called dark? and there was also this npc at the entrance saying something about dark..

Went for a npc search in Majula then ended opening the second path and now I'm at the poison area, got to a second bonfire and now I'm at this windmill area

This game has a lot of areas that's for sure!

Primal Bonfires are literally nothing. All they do is teleport you back to Majula. Then again there
might be a surprise if you light all 4 ;)

I really think the level design in the third DLC is sublime, both from an art and gameplay perspective. The architecture is giving me heavy Bloodborne vibes.

coolbrys

I just beat Bloodborne over the weekend and realized that I never gave DS2 much of a chance. With the new release out, I made a impulse buy and downloaded it. After getting to my first bonfire after Majula, this happened. I knew I wasn't playing well, but I still did not expect this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcl56H2aCeg

(I had previously known where the boss was due to playing the first release just a little bit, but that was the extent of my knowledge.)

AU Tiger

Heh, some of the new
Pursuer
locations crack me up for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJR5xI83FUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbM8ZGN1tzg
+ the one in
Things Betwixt
, love it

That second fight by the illusory wall, I lured him back to the wall opening and he couldn't get through. I was wailing away on him and he just sort of disappeared in smoke back down into the ground before I could kill him

U WOT.

I went back later to see if I could trigger the fight to get them souls but he won't come back.

I didn't try but can you lure the one in
Things Betwixt
back
to the entrance of that tree with the pit and spam him that way similar to how I think most guys typically cheese the hippos?

Alright. I've woken up, refreshed a little. Gonna fight the Fume Knight soon. Perhaps a change of weapons would help a bit.

My Murakumo has gotten me through every area of the game relatively problem free. Been two handing it with the shield that gives you faster stamina recovery on my back. The first phase of the fight is a breeze. I can roll through everything, get an attack in, repeat. But once the fucker powers up I find it super hard to get the timing right for an attack. Just one attack always leaves me open. I've gotten close a couple of times. The closest I've gotten was my first attempt. That is why this boss annoys me so much! I HAD IT THE FIRST TIME!

Not sure what weapon would be best. I could try my estoc again, which I love for its quick attacks, but I didn't like how it scaled more with strength than with dex. What the heck. Really good dex weapons seem to be hard to find but Murakumo has been really good. Except for this boss.

I'm almost positive I've been invaded while hollow.

hmm ive had no interaction atall and ive just killed The Peruser.
Got about 8k souls and I want to burn them on the herb before I get killed miles away,

Only reason I beat the persuer is cos I walked into his arena and got smashed, about 15 trys later after sprinting past all the goons, I manage to parry/bolt gun kill then bastard.

Hugstable

Banned
Shrine of Amana is really bad. Gonna take a break off the game for a bit, nothing like a portion where you are basically forced to slow prod it each time, and it takes a very long damn time to deal with the enemies in there, and one mistake sends you back to the other side of the stupid pond.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes sir. Not even sure if I am running it at max settings though, lol. Just kinda jumped in and never even checked.

GREAT shot man.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ppl really go crazy with characters in these games

I summoned a Gaben (and yes he looked like gabe newel) and a Ichigo, and this one was impressive because it totally looked like the bleach character, with the samurai pants skirt thing and the huge sword and soiky hair

Skatterd

That second fight by the illusory wall, I lured him back to the wall opening and he couldn't get through. I was wailing away on him and he just sort of disappeared in smoke back down into the ground before I could kill him

U WOT.

I went back later to see if I could trigger the fight to get them souls but he won't come back.

I didn't try but can you lure the one in
Things Betwixt
back
to the entrance of that tree with the pit and spam him that way similar to how I think most guys typically cheese the hippos?

If you go outside their range (even if you're right beside them) they seem to vanish. In my experience though if you respawn the enemies in the area they will reappear (not sure if this is true of all, but some for sure).

Top Bottom