• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Shrine of Amana is really bad. Gonna take a break off the game for a bit, nothing like a portion where you are basically forced to slow prod it each time, and it takes a very long damn time to deal with the enemies in there, and one mistake sends you back to the other side of the stupid pond.
Get a bow or bum rush the fog gate. Or both. After the third bonfire you're in the clear.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cheesy tip for cheesy sections in the game. buy a million poison arrows from Gavlan in doors of pharros (I just bought like 700 on my mage earlier), and just cheese those annoying enemies you cba dealing with. 4 arrows = poisoned and then just wait it out. you dont even need to have enough stats to use a bow properly (just a shortbow will do)

JerkShep

The gauntlet to Sir Alonne is really bad, they should have just cut that part. Too bad because Fume Tower is probably my favorite location. Only Ivory King DLC left...and and all the coop areas, but I'm not touching them ever again.

pa22word

Hey how much did they change the DLC? I only played through one of them in vanilla despite owning the SP, and if they changed them a lot I'm just going to pass on them until I get a chance to play through the OG versions.

CrovaxPSO

I'm really liking the new enemy placements. They change things up without making it too much more difficult in most cases, and make sense for each area. I thought
the big dude on the ship that comes into the Wharf
was an especially cool addition.

I've played up to Huntsman's Copse and I have to say that the complaints about durability are way overblown. Yes, weapons degrade faster than in the original release, but all you have to do is carry a backup weapon. I've yet to actually break a weapon, and most of the time I don't even have to switch to a second weapon.

JerkShep

Hey how much did they change the DLC? I only played through one of them in vanilla despite owning the SP, and if they changed them a lot I'm just going to pass on them until I get a chance to play through the OG versions.

I've played the first two and part of the third and the changes are almost unnoticable.

LogN

I just finished up the game last night. While I like the new enemy placements, I am not a fan of the weapon changes. There were a lot of weapons that were either needed or had their scaling changed radically.

Braag

Oh god, I'm at the Frigid Outskirts and I have some very bad memories from this place. But I only have this left before IK.

Korosenai

What are some good strength weapons I should be looking out for or using? Is the sun sword any good? Better than Bastard sword or claymore?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just got this, hadn't played the dark series but I've been enjoying Bloodborne
Can I expect the same?

Braag

What are some good strength weapons I should be looking out for or using? Is the sun sword any good? Better than Bastard sword or claymore?

I pretty much switch between Mastodon and Claymore. I prefer the Claymore moveset but Mastodon does scale better with STR and does more damage. Sun Sword is good if you also have fairly good DEX.

Neoweee

I just finished up the game last night. While I like the new enemy placements, I am not a fan of the weapon changes. There were a lot of weapons that were either needed or had their scaling changed radically.

Item stat changes are in the "old" version as well, from the most recent patch.

How did they not fix the Shrine of Amana? Some of these new enemy placements just make me question what they're thinking. Take the first stretch across the lake. Just before the fog gate they ditched the giant mushroom which was annoying from the original version, but then not only did they keep the snipers in the second stretch, they added a 3 man gank squad to protect the last one by the fog gate.

So sick of playing this damn area and thanks to the snipers and gank squad it's almost impossible to run through. Guess I'm gonna be plodding along through this peice of crap until half of it's stopped spawning.

Hugstable

Banned
How did they not fix the Shrine of Amana? Some of these new enemy placements just make me question what they're thinking. Take the first stretch across the lake. Just before the fog gate they ditched the giant mushroom which was annoying from the original version, but then not only did they keep the snipers in the second stretch, they added a 3 man gank squad to protect the last one by the fog gate.

So sick of playing this damn area and thanks to the snipers and gank squad it's almost impossible to run through. Guess I'm gonna be plodding along through this peice of crap until half of it's stopped spawning.

Yup I'm dealing with the same bullshit right now.

Poison arrows, people. A lot said it before and I support it. It has made my life much MUCH easier,
especially the part in Amana where you get invaded by that asshole Peculiar Kindalur, who could easily 1-shot my STR build =/

SkylineRKR

I hate the weapon durability :(

I must say, after the third or so area it wasn't an issue for me anymore. Maybe it will return, but the beginning seems to be the most unforgiving.

Just got this, hadn't played the dark series but I've been enjoying Bloodborne
Can I expect the same?

At first I sort of regret buying this as I just wrapped up BB and this felt pedestrian to it and even DaS1, but once I got used to DaS2 I think its really, really good. And i'm pretty much a Demon's Souls fanboy.

This game does quite a number on BB in a lot of regards actually. The PvP and summoning are a few. But also the framerate and load times. And the builds. BB only has like one build for Bloodtinge and Arcane. DaS2 is so much more diversive. And I heard there is respec.

I won't say this game is better than BB (its different), as BB is very raw like Demon's was which I love. But give Dark Souls 2 a proper chance. I am completely sucked in right now. But perhaps start with Dark Souls 1, its even better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
brightstone done, only gutter/gulch left (of the 4 primals of course), trucking along with my mage :p

SkylineRKR

It may be a bug, but it is a bug that for the first time makes durability a relevant mechanic. I like it.

It does make me more cautious. I don't spam attacks for the sake of it and I try to avoid walls. Also having to change weapons is sort of refreshing. Its not all dark and gloomy, no.

brightstone done, only gutter/gulch left (of the 4 primals of course), trucking along with my mage :p
What's the route to bright stone ? That's the last primal I have to do when I get home, I forget what branch you need to take to end up there tho (fault of the quick travel of this game whereas dark souls 1, you always remembered what connects to what bc it mattered and made sense )

Game looks beautiful, was admiring the chapel where you fight the Old Dragonslayer. Was surprised when I saw what mob they put in front of the chapel, wanted to do the fight before the boss in that zone.

I approve the change in mobs at the bottom of Sinner's rise. The water dragons were such horse shit and I'm pretty sure they took like way less physical damage.

Still, the game seems easier than I remember. Maybe it's because the ultra greatsword is so damn good. The mob placements seem more logical then before imo. I was expecting them to do stupid stuff just to make the game annoying but the changes have been mostly neutral, though I thought no-mans wharf was a little harder than I remember, which doesn't make sense because they added a bridge that links the bonfire to the boss (right?).

Really impressed with the performance and looks on PS4. Game still looks fantastic and I hope Dark Souls 3 favors performance over graphics unlike Bloodborne. The extra effects in bloodborne aren't worth the fps costs imo, and they aren't as noticeable. Though hopefully PC will be able to get both :p.

edit: I haven't really had any issue with durability, though I'm used to the PC version. Admittedly I use the ultra greatsword and I was using the flame sword and club before that, didn't have problems with either. Though I do know all the locations of the bonfires and they aren't that far about. I think katanas and daggers and other thrust weapons have much lower durability.

Rhaknar

What's the route to bright stone ? That's the last primal I have to do when I get home, I forget what branch you need to take to end up there tho (fault of the quick travel of this game whereas dark souls 1, you always remembered what connects to what bc it mattered and made sense )

from majula go
north to the dwarf with the blue sword and the statue blocking the switch. you need a fragrant branch of yore for the statue. then you do shaded woods -> doors of pharros (optional boss) -> brightstone cove tseodora :)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just beat Bloodborne over the weekend and realized that I never gave DS2 much of a chance. With the new release out, I made a impulse buy and downloaded it. After getting to my first bonfire after Majula, this happened. I knew I wasn't playing well, but I still did not expect this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcl56H2aCeg

(I had previously known where the boss was due to playing the first release just a little bit, but that was the extent of my knowledge.)

Well damn hahaha

Rhaknar

why am I playing this again? and by again I dont mean since vanilla, I mean I left my tank at the end of the game and started again with a mage lol. something about it man...

MKX will slow me down on it for a bit tho

TGO

Play Dark Souls 1 first.

Not exactly. Play DS1 first though.
Dark Souls isn't on PS4
I must say, after the third or so area it wasn't an issue for me anymore. Maybe it will return, but the beginning seems to be the most unforgiving.

At first I sort of regret buying this as I just wrapped up BB and this felt pedestrian to it and even DaS1, but once I got used to DaS2 I think its really, really good. And i'm pretty much a Demon's Souls fanboy.

This game does quite a number on BB in a lot of regards actually. The PvP and summoning are a few. But also the framerate and load times. And the builds. BB only has like one build for Bloodtinge and Arcane. DaS2 is so much more diversive. And I heard there is respec.

I won't say this game is better than BB (its different), as BB is very raw like Demon's was which I love. But give Dark Souls 2 a proper chance. I am completely sucked in right now. But perhaps start with Dark Souls 1, its even better.
Just as long as it plays the same, thats all that matters.

Liamc723

How far into the game do you start accessing the DLC? I'm in the Lost Bastille at the moment, am I close? I don't want to somehow miss it all.

Beaulieu

I just beat Bloodborne over the weekend and realized that I never gave DS2 much of a chance. With the new release out, I made a impulse buy and downloaded it. After getting to my first bonfire after Majula, this happened. I knew I wasn't playing well, but I still did not expect this.

(I had previously known where the boss was due to playing the first release just a little bit, but that was the extent of my knowledge.)

hahha I like how the music stops suddenly.
but where is that area ? Im at the second boss of the game and Ive yet to encounter that area ? you say its near the beginning ?

Dark Souls isn't on PS4

Just as long as it plays the same, thats all that matters.

It doesn't though. I mean sure there are similarities but there's a whole bunch of discrepancies in the gameplay that actually change the feel a lot. BB is a lot faster, more aggressive and even fairer across the board. DS2 is slower, weightier and more designed around one on one encounters despite pitting you up against groups, often in areas designed to work against you and the encounter.

The combat actually feels vastly different to me. In BB when you're doing great it's hard to stop you, but in DS2 you can be doing just as well and being extra cautious and still get handed your ass because there is significantly less room for error.

Neoweee

Is the best way to avoid weapons breaking buying a lot of repair dust every time you go out?

Repair Powder is too expensive and not widely available

- Have two weapons with you.
- Don't hit walls (not that hard)
- Don't hit corpses (this can be hard)

Is the best way to avoid weapons breaking buying a lot of repair dust every time you go out?

Nope just upgrade. All the mats needed seem to be littering the world now and you can be on plus 5-6 only having to push one easy boss out of the way as you go. By the time you have +5 it should last most areas.

Be careful though. Swinging once more than needed will really burn through the weapon. Hitting an already dead enemy takes almost an eighth of my +5 Fume Greatsword.

Well, there's also a ring that helps with durability, too.

True but you're well over halfway through by that point.

hahha I like how the music stops suddenly.
but where is that area ? Im at the second boss of the game and Ive yet to encounter that area ? you say its near the beginning ?

It is near the beginning.

I won't get super specific so I'll just say that Majula is a hub, where there are multiple paths out of it. Be sure to explore and you'll find it fairly easily. :)

No. For starters, repair power will not fix broken weapons. Only the blacksmith can fix broken weapons for souls.

You should always make sure you have a backup weapon. You don't need to have it equipped necessarily (especially if your vitality is not high, and you want to keep your evade dist up, or avoid fat rolling). As soon as you see a weapon is about to break, switch to your backup. Don't keep using it or you'll inevitably need to head back to a blacksmith and spend souls to fix which can be a pain.

Repair powder is really more of a last resort in my opinion. Only use it when you cannot get back to the bonfire, or you're simply too far down your current path to go back to the bonfire. Don't forget, all of your weapons get back to full durability when you're at a bonfire, assuming they are not broken. That's why it really sucks to have them break.

The sense of power in weapons is much better in DS2 than it is in Bloodborne. There may be less room for error but if you master dodging against bosses in this game, you'll do way more damage with the Giant Club than you would ever do with the Kirkhammer in Bloodborne. That to me feels more rewarding.

pager99

that's what I love about souls unpredictable AI

Captcha

Beat the third DLC (which I had never played before) last night. I think it's the easiest of the three on the whole, but there are a couple notable exceptions. For one, those ice hedgehog things are basically the neo-skeleton wheels. I got gangbanged by three of them somewhere trying to find one of those knights. I'm pretty sure I got a stress headache running through there at one point.
The fake friendly phantom dude was a nice touch too. I read that he will backstab you if you give him the chance. lol
Also, the entirety of the Frozen Outskirts or whatever it's called....lord Jesus.

In fact, the optional areas/bosses of all three DLCs are extraordinarily frustrating... I think I might skip them on my NG+ outing.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I started the first DLC tonight. I don't know if I'll be able to play any more Dark Souls, with GTA V finally being released one hour from right now, but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. The pace is very similar to Dark Souls 1.

I also got a Club +10, so welcome to Stunlock City, Drangleic!

TGO

It doesn't though. I mean sure there are similarities but there's a whole bunch of discrepancies in the gameplay that actually change the feel a lot. BB is a lot faster, more aggressive and even fairer across the board. DS2 is slower, weightier and more designed around one on one encounters despite pitting you up against groups, often in areas designed to work against you and the encounter.

The combat actually feels vastly different to me. In BB when you're doing great it's hard to stop you, but in DS2 you can be doing just as well and being extra cautious and still get handed your ass because there is significantly less room for error.
Sounds like the beginning of Bloodborne, which isn't good for me.
Well I've played Demon Souls for a bit, perhaps I just gotta give it time and learn how it plays.

Liamc723

You can't miss it. There is a story progression element to it, but once past them you can do the DLC whenever it tickles you to do so.

That's good then, thanks!

This is my first time playing Dark Souls 2 and I'm REALLY enjoying it, more than Bloodborne I might say.

That's actually a speedrun strat

Top Bottom