• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think I am going to pick this up tomorrow. Bloodborne was my 1st From Software game and I loved it. 40 hours of pure bliss. On the weekend I thought I should take a break before playing Dark Souls II, which seems to be longer than Bloodborne. I got Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was on sale. I know it is an unfair comparison, but the combat system felt like complete shit. It was also jarring playing a game where you have a map with just about everything already conveniently labelled for the player. Bloodborne spoiled me; time for Dark Souls II!

Inquisition is so very mediocre it hurts.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
FU
ME
KNIGHT YOU MOTHER FUCKER I WILL SLIT YOUR GOD DAMN THROAT WHILE YOU SLEEP YOU SON OF A FUCKING MONGOOSE.

Fucker is doing its powerup magic flame sword shit THE SECOND IT WAKES UP NOW. I'm not sure what I did to piss it off. I've been nothing if not polite in all our encounters.

If you can't find good people to summon (meaning no NPC summons) then do it solo. Dodge, dodge, dodge then one hit then back up to regen stamina then repeat.

use a good shield as a last resort to block what you can't dodge but do not even try to just tank the hits.

When he does his aoe back way up with your shield up and sidestep the fireballs

Don't give up man!

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
Those phantom ghost things that look like other player ghosts in shaded woods[ have me jumpy as hell. I'm attacking every player ghost I see now out of fear! Cool idea FROM.

Late game question.

I believe I am near the end. I know Nashandra is the last boss and if I beat her will I not be able to do the DLC? Or can I kick her ass and then still go anywhere I want?

Neoweee

Late game question.

I believe I am near the end. I know Nashandra is the last boss and if I beat her will I not be able to do the DLC? Or can I kick her ass and then still go anywhere I want?

You can explore after, but you may want to hold off, as there is one boss fight you can get locked out of.

Neoweee

You mean hold off on
Nashandra?
Can you tell me what boss I would get locked out of?

End boss spoiler:
The eponymous Scholar of the First Sin is only available if you do the relevant quest before beating Nashandra. He will spawn after as a new "final" boss. I think the criteria is to get Vendrick's crown first, but you will want to confirm elsewhere.

The DLC is still fully available either way. "Advance to NG+", essentially, is available in Majula post-game.

void666

Banned
So, i've been dual wielding blacksteel katanas. They are quite powerful. But i'm still getting used to its moveset. I have a drangleic shield for emergencies. And some lightning bow for cheesing affairs.
Pure melee build. I'm having trouble with some enemies and bosses though.

End boss spoiler:
The eponymous Scholar of the First Sin is only available if you do the relevant quest before beating Nashandra. He will spawn after as a new "final" boss. I think the criteria is to get Vendrick's crown first, but you will want to confirm elsewhere.

The DLC is still fully available either way. "Advance to NG+", essentially, is available in Majula post-game.

I see. Thank you!

Can anyone confirm when youre actually able to access the DLC parts? Id really like to give one a shot but it seems you need the item and the location where the entrance is.

Like how early in the game can i get into the dlc areas.

ryuken-d

Wait, this is out today? I guess I will be playing this since I can't play bloodborne without feeling motion sickness.

wtf?! is this a 30fps thing? so sorry! Bloodborne is the best game ever!!!!! maybe one day it'll be released for PC. My fingers are crossed for some friends of mine who will not buy a PS4. ....because of RES and FPS.

ehead

Hello Gaf, new-ish member here. I just tried playing this game for about an hour and I'm having a great experience so far. I picked deprived and I just got to Majula (?), I took my time just roaming around and exploring what I see as safe areas (basic lesson I learned from Dark Souls).

One thing's bothering me though, the amount of unbelievable comments (something about horses, illusory walls, etc.). But I guess its only natural since the game just released. The game seems optimized for PC, I'm glad it runs smooth and looks fine on my laptop.

drotahorror

new game+, first time playing the DLC. @ Crown of the Old Iron King

(Blue)
Smelter Demon
made me want to break something
Fume Knight
made me want to die
Sir Alonne
I have not formed an opinion on yet, but he's tough. Also the areas in this DLC are brutal.

drotahorror

Can anyone confirm when youre actually able to access the DLC parts? Id really like to give one a shot but it seems you need the item and the location where the entrance is.

Like how early in the game can i get into the dlc areas.

first dlc area you can get to by killing the giants in black gulch (have to drop down, its sketchy you may want to look it up), which give you the forgotten key. Unless you have quite a bit of HP, use the ladder dude (found in earthen peak) in majula to drop the 12k ladder in the pit. Go down, then up another ladder that it leads to. Open door with key and there you go. Use the material after Rotten in the gulch past the primal bonfire.

I'm sure this has been asked but what's the deal with all these illusionary wall notes? I can never seem to open them. Maybe I'm missing something?

One is in the boss room for the last giant and it's got like a 1500 rating.

What am I doing wrong?

Fighting the fume knight and really not having fun anymore. It seems he has attacks that can launch faster than I recover, attacks that go through rolls and never leaves a window to heal on the second phase. Being a heavy weapon user this is awful.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure this has been asked but what's the deal with all these illusionary wall notes? I can never seem to open them. Maybe I'm missing something?

What am I doing wrong?

Pretty sure those aren't really fake walls, just troll messages.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

What am I doing wrong?

Note that you press A (or PS4 equivalent) to open illusory walls (except Pharros walls and like one other wall).

If someone places a sign in front of a real illusory wall pressing A will always open the wall first.

owlbeak

Have really been struggling with this game after having blasted through Bloodborne and not having played Demon's or Dark Souls in over a year, but finally hit my stride.

Played almost all day yesterday and made it through various bosses and lit two Primal bonfires. :) Feelsgoodman.jpg

Sullichin

I farmed some souls to buy and have enough STR to two hand the great axe. Got sad when I remembered enemies stop respawning. I hear joining covenant of champions makes them keep respawning, but I left that covenant because I wanna see some of the new NPC summons. Does this covenant also prevent coop?

Forgot that it does the human effigy effect after beating a boss, lame :/ At least you can cancel it.

ironcreed

Banned
I never bothered with the Smelter Demon ultra great sword back when I played on PS3, but this thing is a monster. Especially after you upgrade it a few times.

Divius

I am now at the Icy G
rand Cathedral
bossfight with a king (forgot his name) and damn, this is painfully hard. There's a few 'minions' he sends out before the appears, and they are a pain in the ass...stop ganking me!

Managed to get the boss to appear once but was down to a single estus and did not stand a chance. He's even summoning more minions while he's there @_@

At this point this just seems impossible. Fucking mobs. I don't do nearly enough damage to deal with this yet.

Might get some jolly co-op on this bitch, even though I do not really want to.

Bleh.

Picked this up yesterday, surprised my laptop can run it on High.

Spent aged running about, went off and killed some big ass soilders, managed to get some armour off one and then took down the boss leading to the cleric npc?

Pretty sure Ive gone a totally different way compared to pushing on past the hag shop woman NPC in the giants place lol

Still has bastard hard as the others souls games and twice so far managed to make me shout "holy fuck AAHHHH" and start rolling away in fear

Sullichin

I forgot how fast you level in this game. Already level 46 or so and only beat 3 bosses. Don't really feel any stronger because some of those levels went into ADP.

Respect

Getting my copy in the mail today...I want to go back and forth from this and BB, but I have a feeling that won't be a good idea, combat will be too different. Might have to dabble a little bit though, see how it goes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Fighting the fume knight and really not having fun anymore. It seems he has attacks that can launch faster than I recover, attacks that go through rolls and never leaves a window to heal on the second phase. Being a heavy weapon user this is awful.

Fume Knight is an annoying endurance grind. You can't really get more than one, maybe two hits in at a time. The only strategy seems to stay up against the arm that holds his ultra great sword, roll under it when he swings (since it will end on the opposite side) and get one hit in. Then repeat and hope you don't screw up.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What is the trick to reach the dragon they added to Heide's Tower?

I'm starting to get really annoyed. The dragon itself is pitifully easy to beat. But I can't figure out how to reach it. This character doesn't have anything ranged, btw.

I'm starting to get really annoyed. The dragon itself is pitifully easy to beat. But I can't figure out how to reach it. This character doesn't have anything ranged, btw.

i straight booked it right at him, took flames on the chin, and got under him right before he blew fire again

Evolved1

i straight booked it right at him, took flames on the chin, and got under him right before he blew fire again

He hits me with the fire three times (and I die) if I rush though... I almost made it once by luck, but there must be a way. There has to be.

void666

Banned
I am now at the Icy G
rand Cathedral
bossfight with a king (forgot his name) and damn, this is painfully hard. There's a few 'minions' he sends out before the appears, and they are a pain in the ass...stop ganking me!

Managed to get the boss to appear once but was down to a single estus and did not stand a chance. He's even summoning more minions while he's there @_@

At this point this just seems impossible. Fucking mobs. I don't do nearly enough damage to deal with this yet.

Might get some jolly co-op on this bitch, even though I do not really want to.

Bleh.

Did you
find the 3 knights to help you? You're talking about the ivory king right? There are three (or four) knights that once released will help you fight the boss. They eventually block the portals where his minions come from.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
He hits me with the fire three times (and I die) if I rush though... I almost made it once by luck, but there must be a way. There has to be.

When facing the bridge to access him, run to the right side of the platform to trigger his breath attack. If it's triggered far enough over the flame movement won't cover the whole platform and you can wait on the opposite side of it (on the left side of the platform), ready to sprint across the bridge ASAP.

Evolved1

When facing the bridge to access him, run to the right side of the platform to trigger his breath attack. If it's triggered far enough over the flame movement won't cover the whole platform and you can wait on the opposite side of it (on the left side of the platform), ready to sprint across the bridge ASAP.

Thanks I'll try this.

I really don't want to summon.

I'm gonna have to leave a 'fatty' message there later for the giggles. Too much heavy armor is your problem. I managed to run it without getting hit at all wearing the drangleic set. Just as you reach the end of the bridge make a small jump left to the platform he's on and you can get there damage free.

pager99

Beat the iron keep demon, he was actually pretty easy in the end but as usual I made it look hard, I also didn't realise there was a bonfire close buy so it was an ordeal every time just getting to him, I've now moved in to the elf area crown of the iron demon or should I complete game first and then move onto Dec?

bronk

Banned
I think I am going to pick this up tomorrow. Bloodborne was my 1st From Software game and I loved it. 40 hours of pure bliss. On the weekend I thought I should take a break before playing Dark Souls II, which seems to be longer than Bloodborne. I got Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was on sale. I know it is an unfair comparison, but the combat system felt like complete shit. It was also jarring playing a game where you have a map with just about everything already conveniently labelled for the player. Bloodborne spoiled me; time for Dark Souls II!
I might be in minority here. But I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 alot more than bloodborne. Much better multiplayer, more builds, more loot, less loading.
I did love Bloodborne though.

Kazuhira

Clear the path of heide knights and iron golems,so you can kill it with a bow.
That´s what i did,because i´m a cheap bastard :p

Evolved1

I'm gonna have to leave a 'fatty' message there later for the giggles. Too much heavy armor is your problem. I managed to run it without getting hit at all wearing the drangleic set. Just as you reach the end of the bridge make a small jump left to the platform he's on and you can get there damage free.

lol.

I took my armor off and got it first try. I don't really wear super heavy armor (i'm around 50%) and didn't realize it made a difference in that way. huh

ironcreed

Banned
So having just reached Shrine of Amala, how far into the main content would I be? When is a good time to start up the dlc?

I am further behind than you and checked out the first area yesterday and got to the second bonfire before backing out. It is not too bad, plus I got a new weapon, some twinkling titanite and a few more items. Amazing area and I can't wait to go back.

Top Bottom