• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Heysoos

Guys, here are my stats atm. I really had no build in mind when I was playing. Just put a lot in str because fuck it why not. What other stats should I focus on? I kinda wanted some magic or pyromancy to fall back on for those enemies that are weak to that sort of thing, but I don't really know where to go from there. Tips/suggestions welcomed.

CQfnyd2.png

Captcha

Guys, here are my stats atm. I really had no build in mind when I was playing. Just put a lot in str because fuck it why not. What other stats should I focus on? I kinda wanted some magic or pyromancy to fall back on for those enemies that are weak to that sort of thing, but I don't really know where to go from there. Tips/suggestions welcomed.

Wow, how in the world did you get that far with base adaptability? Have you found dodging things to be annoying? I'd suggest pumping that ASAP if so (until your agility is about 100).

As for magic, unless you're willing to dedicate a good bit of your soul levels to it I'd just keep on with your melee build. You'll need to pump int (or faith if you want miracles) AND attunement (for slots and casting speed). I'm not sure it's something worth doing half-heartedly. You could always get an x-bow and elemental arrows and use those for stuff weak to a particular element.

If you're going melee, I think you will appreciate more adaptability. Your agility will get higher to make it easier to dodge, and it also increases your poise, which allows you to trade hits easier in the event that you do get hit (aka, you'll get staggered less).

I would also consider taking Vigor to 20. I believe that's when the soft cap comes into play, so you should get a decent chunk of health to that point. However, considering your base adaptability is so low, I would say this is secondary because the better agility/poise should help with survivability.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Repair Powder is too expensive and not widely available

- Have two weapons with you.
- Don't hit walls (not that hard)
- Don't hit corpses (this can be hard)

-Drop a small soapstone and get a free repair when you're done

Wow, how in the world did you get that far with base adaptability? Have you found dodging things to be annoying? I'd suggest pumping that ASAP if so (until your agility is about 100).

As for magic, unless you're willing to dedicate a good bit of your soul levels to it I'd just keep on with your melee build. You'll need to pump int (or faith if you want miracles) AND attunement (for slots and casting speed). I'm not sure it's something worth doing half-heartedly. You could always get an x-bow and elemental arrows and use those for stuff weak to a particular element.

My first character had base ADP/AGL, since I didn't know what it did when I first played. It really isn't too difficult, just that I couldn't rely on i-framing through moves most of the time and actually needed to move out of the range of a move, or block. A good shield really helped.

Heysoos

If you're going melee, I think you will appreciate more adaptability. Your agility will get higher to make it easier to dodge, and it also increases your poise, which allows you to trade hits easier in the event that you do get hit (aka, you'll get staggered less).

I would also consider taking Vigor to 20. I believe that's when the soft cap comes into play, so you should get a decent chunk of health to that point. However, considering your base adaptability is so low, I would say this is secondary because the better agility/poise should help with survivability.

Cool, thanks for the tips guys!

so was the hit box/detection never fixed in this game? I play pvp and people hit me when the weapons never touch me. It's pretty annoying.

Also, what rapiers are great? I'm using chaos rapier, is there another that is better?

usp84

I think you should level up ADP in order to have at least 105 AGL to get the same roll adn irframes as dark souls 1.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Ok. I gave Dark Souls 2 more of a chance and I am starting to like it a bit more now. I still stand by what I said previously about the combat and cheap bullshit, but I guess I have adapted.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The sense of power in weapons is much better in DS2 than it is in Bloodborne. There may be less room for error but if you master dodging against bosses in this game, you'll do way more damage with the Giant Club than you would ever do with the Kirkhammer in Bloodborne. That to me feels more rewarding.

I was really disappointed with the Kirk hammer in Bloodborne :( I was expecting it to dish out huge damage. But it was relatively weak compared to all other weapons in the game, unless you fully charge R2 attack.

FUCK YES I FUCKING DID IT FIRST TRY* FIRST GOD DANG TRY IM THE BEST
AROUND
NO ONES EVER GONNA BRING ME DOWN

If you ignore the 800 tries yesterday. those aren't canon

I remember that I wrecked V
endrick
as a dex, no shield build. But damn, as a caster that took many tries, the sad thing is that I had to go melee, because all my spells where doing shit damage.

FUCK YES I FUCKING DID IT FIRST TRY* FIRST GOD DANG TRY IM THE BEST
AROUND
NO ONES EVER GONNA BRING ME DOWN

If you ignore the 800 tries yesterday. those aren't canon

Congrats! He was a nasty fight I found. Probably one of the few where dying is almost mandatory to learn his moves. Since I've played before most bosses have gone down in one go but this guy still got 10+ deaths out of me. Fighting him with a slow heavy weapon is something I won't be looking to do again in a hurry.

LeonSPBR

Your ADP is way too low, you need more poise so that you'll be able to trade blows. (Raise to 20, 25)

Then raise your vigor, you need more hp, depending who you face you'll be killed in 3, 4 blows (especially in NG+)

coolbrys

hahha I like how the music stops suddenly.
but where is that area ? Im at the second boss of the game and Ive yet to encounter that area ? you say its near the beginning ?

Yeah, I just ran from the starting area and wound up there. It's not the path that leads to the Forest of Fallen Giants, but it is on the path to Heide's Tower of Flame. It was the first path I found so I simply took it.

Jobbs

Banned
After thinking about it, I think the weapon breaking stuff is an interesting change. I actually have to think about repair powder now, and I actually bring multiple weapons that are being upgraded around with me so I can switch when one gets close to breaking. This as opposed to never thinking about weapons breaking at all.

BTW, have they made any changes to soul memory? I really hated that.

Spent some more time with Dark Souls 2 over the past few days. At first I thought Bloodborne was just hands down better, but after spending more time with Dark Souls 2, I'm a little conflicted. I think both games did a few things amazingly well, and a few things not so well.

Bloodborne's top 3 things are, in my opinion:
1) The fast paced combat
2) The connected and masterfully designed world
3) The presence of shortcuts.

And Bloodborne's worst 3 things are, in my opinion:
1) Lack of build diversity
2) The mostly linear path at which you progress the game
3) The lack of replayability.

With Dark Souls 2 it's literally like the exact opposite. The best 3 things about Dark Souls 2 are
1) The amazing build diversity
2) The openness of the world and the different ways you can progress through things in completely different orders
3) The immense replayability and new things you can find in NG+

while the worst 3 things are

1) How disconnected the world feels -- no sense of spatial awareness. Where is Earthen Peak in relation to Heide's Tower of Flame? I coudln't tell you. I mean I can tell you how to get from A to B, but you just don't have that same feeling of connectedness.
2) The combat. Using a goddamn estus flask makes me want to rage my fucking eyes out. Stop standing there you motherfucker, drink and run!
3) The lack of shortcuts. Once I've cleared every enemy in an area and gotten every piece of loot, I want all this shit out of my way and I just want to make a boss run. But the placement of enemies means that often you *have* to kill them or they will gank you on the way to the boss. It's enraging. I've killed this shit 10 times already, just stop it. I know you can farm the enemies out, but that's such a chore. Just give me a shortcut so I can run to the boss.

Can you imagine if Bloodborne 2 or Dark Souls 3 had the top 3 of both of these lists? I think it would honestly be the best game ever made.

After thinking about it, I think the weapon breaking stuff is an interesting change. I actually have to think about repair powder now, and I actually bring multiple weapons that are being upgraded around with me so I can switch when one gets close to breaking. This as opposed to never thinking about weapons breaking at all.

i like it too, forced me to use 3 weapons as soon as i found the first vendor and could get the axe and club. the only thing i dislike about it is the huge 'weapon almost going to break' or whatever it says alert usually comes on ....the hit that breaks the weapon. grrr. but if you watch the repair bar its kind of cool. although i do dislike that for pvp......its a bad mechanic. basically bc you play pve and power up a ton of weapons then in pvp you dont have to switch weapons so those who powered up less weapons are at a lower soul memory and have an advantage in most pvp meets. but that's really miniscule and nitpicky not something anyone who isn't anal would ever pay attention to lol

KiteGr

As I'm playing the game for the first time, and having beaten 5-6 bosses I realised something.

This game is nowhere near as good as the original Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.
While there are some technical improvements and I completely understand their intentions behind the low Item durability and the fast travel, the game appears... uninspired.
The best Ideas are riped from the last 2 games, and besides those, I'm having trouble remembering most of the areas, area names, characters and bosses I've met.

The majority of the enemies and bosses appear to be "Dudes in Armor", sometimes with little variety within each stage, and I completely understand why they felt the need to rearrange some enemies and items, beyond the need to keep the game fresh.
After finishing each stage, I usually take a look at some walk-through of the original version of the stage, and I realized how often those stages kept repeating the same enemies. Placing a different type enemy somewhere on a stage in the new version where every other enemy is exactly the same type helps a bit to break the ice, but that doesn't help much when the rest of the game appears to be so un-interesting.

Korosenai

I'm going for a strength build, currently around mid game, and trying to decide on an armor set. Should I go with Alva or Faraam for now? Might upgrade to Haval later when I get it.

So it finally happened, after barely giving ds 1 a chance and quitting after only a few hours Ive put a substantial amount of time into scholars of the first sin on xbox one, and Im in love. I finally understand why people swear by these games. Now I might have to borrow my 360 back from my brother that I gave to him to replay ds1, and Im heavily considering a ps4 now for bloodborne.
Welcome to the party! If you have the option give demons souls a try. Many people consider it their favorite, even after experience the improvements and conveniences of the other games. There's a purity to its design that is kind of missing in the others. It's certainly still my favorite, in almost every regard. The whole series is fantastic though!

Kemal86

Increase your ADP/AGI. Big time.

Ayt

Banned

Have you been dodging very much at all? If you have and have been doing so successfully, you must have great timing with your adp being so low.

If you aren't really dodging at all and are turtling behind a giant shield (which would make sense given your stats), I'd put the next 5 levels into vigor for an additional 150 HP before moving on from there.

What weapon and shield are you using?

Sullichin

I maxed the greataxe really early thanks to the new dull ember location and bell covenant. I like that change.
Or wait, now that I think about I don't think you need the dull ember for regular path upgrades. I don't even remember.

void666

Banned
One more hit to kill that stupid
frog boss.
The fucker one hit me. Now i have to kill all those thrash mobs again. This is so stupid. Fuck you team B.

B-Dex

My 2H Axe only run is going pretty well. Just need to kill rotten and head off to the 2nd half of the game now.

Also finally nabbing Vengarl armour is really helping out with the weight management haha.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*Tries to use resonant soul, has no chime

Fuck my life >_>

Where was the best chime for hexes again? I've been upgrading the sunsomething staff which I read was the best for hexes, but I need a chime

void666

Banned
Just run to the fog gate. The casters shouldn't be able to hit you in time.

Yes, i did it. I was just pissed off. Sorry.

Typical frustration rant post. Souls style.

Oh god, just arrived at
undead crypt. Knights everywhere. How is the hall leading to vendrik? Two hundred knights plus casters
?

Heysoos

Have you been dodging very much at all? If you have and have been doing so successfully, you must have great timing with your adp being so low.

If you aren't really dodging at all and are turtling behind a giant shield (which would make sense given your stats), I'd put the next 5 levels into vigor for an additional 150 HP before moving on from there.

What weapon and shield are you using?

Grand Lance and Drangelic Shield

Occasionally switch to other weapons depending on the enemy. I was dodging most of the time, a little sluggish at times since I was almost always over 70% load. Made Smelter demon a hard fight. :p

I'm really liking the new enemy placements. They change things up without making it too much more difficult in most cases, and make sense for each area. I thought
the big dude on the ship that comes into the Wharf
was an especially cool addition.

I've played up to Huntsman's Copse and I have to say that the complaints about durability are way overblown. Yes, weapons degrade faster than in the original release, but all you have to do is carry a backup weapon. I've yet to actually break a weapon, and most of the time I don't even have to switch to a second weapon.
It depends on what weapon you're using. Try using a whip or for special self loathing try dual wielding certain low durability weapons that have certain swiping animations that tend to hit the ground. You will understand.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wheres my casters at :(

Stop using melee you bastards!

Wheres my casters at :(

Stop using melee you bastards!

nah after bloodborne i have no interest in dealing with this series' clunky ass magic system. magic for a buff or a buff and a pyro is ok but dark was so OP when i beat this game first time i puke in my mouth when thinking of magic. bc they nerfed lightning to be crap for offense, and magic is kind of cool but then you realize dark is almost always stronger so regular magic is just outdated and i've never been able to give it fair stance in DS2.

i'm gonna stream all night if anyone would like to chat souls with me, or anything else. gotta hit up bright for the last primal and as always throw my hat at pvp if anyone wants to fight, iirc i'm a little above 550k SM on ps4

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

Captcha

Who in the world thought it was a good idea to have you
farm 50 loyce souls for Alsanna's soul? I have every bit of item discovery and I'm eating rusty coins and barely getting one every other fight. I'd just kill her, but I want the armor set too. :(

Rhaknar

farm 50 loyce souls for Alsanna's soul? I have every bit of item discovery and I'm eating rusty coins and barely getting one every other fight. I'd just kill her, but I want the armor set too. :(

Whats this?

Victrix

*beard*

Supposedly cooping raises the drop rate. Dunno if its true, but I got multiple souls every run.

Captcha

Can you elaborate please?

Inside the final boss arena are these 3 mirrors that will spit out some dudes called Charred Loyce Warriors. They have a small chance to drop their souls. As you collect 50 of them this NPC outside the boss area will incrementally give you pieces of an armor set. At 50 she'll give you her soul/unlock the ability to buy the Ivory King set.

My first time playing Dark Souls on PC. Beat Dark Souls 1 on PS3, got 2 on PS3 but never played it much....holy shit 60FPS is just unreal and a completely different experience. Great port.

Top Bottom