• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

ironcreed

Banned
This Crown of the Sunken King area is better than any area in the first Dark Souls. It's unreal. Glad I missed the DLC, as this is a treat.

Have to disagree with you there. It's quite good, but more quite good in a "this is what Dark Souls 2 should have been like all along" way. Personally I feel like Dark Souls 1 DLC is the best.

While some of the bosses have been a lot better than the base game's, I still find their designs and music too uninteresting to care about them in any way. But killing the F
ume
Knight was really satisfying.

Did anyone else get vibes of the castle from the first headstone in Demons Souls with the Ivory King DLC? I don't know if it's just the vast and semi-open layout but something about the level design here is giving me a strange kind of deja vu.

Just curious if the people who are having a lot of problems with Amana played the og version of dark 2, because honestly with the difference of some big enemies that they placed here and there it's basically the same as it was in the original isn't it?

I don't remember there being a 3 man gank squad at the last sniper before the second fog gate? I dunno, they could have been there all along except now with the increased aggro range the further two get pulled into the fight and didn't previously. It's been too long since I've played the original to be sure. It's still horrible IMO thanks to all the sniper mages.

pa22word

Just curious if the people who are having a lot of problems with Amana played the og version of dark 2, because honestly with the difference of some big enemies that they placed here and there it's basically the same as it was in the original isn't it?

It's noticeably easier for me. That cyclopean-rat giant doesn't aggro so fast, and the last area before the fog gate didn't feel like I was playing a bullet-hell SHMUP. Still more difficult than most areas, though.

Or maybe I got better, although I haven't played the original in about a year.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Felt the same to me

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Just got past Iron Keep and I'm at SL 100. It is so easy to level up in this one. My battlemage feels really good now. The Old Iron King was pathetically weak.

Dawg

People told me DS2 was very bland and boring but I'm really liking how it looks on PS4. Exploration is great. Feels like a really big game compared to Bloodborne.

Going for a STR melee build which I've heard is good. I guess I should just focus on STR while bringing VIGOR, ADAPTABILITY and ENDURANCE to 20?

tuna_love

Banned
People told me DS2 was very bland and boring but I'm really liking how it looks on PS4. Exploration is great. Feels like a really big game compared to Bloodborne.

Going for a STR melee build which I've heard is good. I guess I should just focus on STR while bringing VIGOR, ADAPTABILITY and ENDURANCE to 20?
More ADP is never a bad thing

Dawg

One thing I don't like though... maybe I'm just hyper aware of these things, but I feel like there's something wrong with movement. I'm playing on PS4 and if I walk forward and move the left stick slowly to the left or right, my character keeps walking straight. It's not ruining my game experience, but sometimes it's really noticeable. Feel like I really have to tilt the stick to change movement. It's like there's a pretty big dead zone. The reason I notice this is because I just finished Bloodborne and it didn't have this issue.

AU Tiger

Congrats! He was a nasty fight I found. Probably one of the few where dying is almost mandatory to learn his moves. Since I've played before most bosses have gone down in one go but this guy still got 10+ deaths out of me. Fighting him with a slow heavy weapon is something I won't be looking to do again in a hurry.

Everyone dies at the Sentinels. The first real boss fight of the game IMO.. the first one where I actually had to study patterns and juggle that with awareness of where each guy was at all times.

Carl7

in1V6Gu.jpg

Took 10 seconds to summon those 2 guys and the NPC, what the hell did they do with the matchmaking in Bloodborne?

ExVicis

I'm having trouble finding anyone to summon me in the Iron King DLC. What's the recommended SL or Soul Memory for this area?

42 hours in on my first ever playthrough of the game blind and I've beaten the game. Interesting series of events towards the end I have to admit...

Three boss fights in a row, Throne Defenders, Nasandra AND Aldia, Scholar Of The First Sin. Barely scraped through all three fights on my first try. Decided to leave the throne room for my ending. Made a similar choice in DS1 by not kilning the first flame again, I always find it more satisfying to break the cycle in these games, after seeing what terrible fates these cycles have brought upon each of the games' kingdoms. It was a tad better than DS1's ending, but it did feel a bit copy/paste though. Aldia is an interesting sort.

Nice that they boot you back to Majula and allow you to start over again when YOU want to, instead of throwing you straight into NG plus at the beginning.

Everyone dies at the Sentinels. The first real boss fight of the game IMO.. the first one where I actually had to study patterns and juggle that with awareness of where each guy was at all times.

Good point. The Sentinels also force you to either adapt to killing a boss very fast or learn to kite enemies so you can manage small groups. I would add the Lost Sinner too since he gave me no end of hassle on the PS3 version but in SotFS I found him to be considerably easier. I dunno if that's down to the ADP/iframes or if he was tweaked but he seemed to provide a lot more windows to attack and be a bit of a worse shot with his moves even leaving his back exposed for a good while from time to time. I haven't heard anywhere near as many people having trouble with him this time around either though.

sappyday

I'm really tempted to get this. I thought Bloodborne would be all I need but all it did was make me want to play more Souls.

Just one question. Is the community lively?

Dimmle

Got 3/4 of the way to a bonfire in the Sunken Sanctum and was ganked by a knight hanging out around the corner. Back I go. Oh, that classic Souls sting.

Get'sMad

Not there yet in this version but yeah I'm seeing people bitching about it wondering this too because didn't they nerf it in the OG in a patch at some point last year?

Woah is that one of the DLC areas? Haven't gotten to see that yet. Just hit Undead Crypt, the boss of Amana was really cool, really liked his design. Probably my favorite looking designed enemy of the game so far.

You'll see it soon enough. ;)

Woo! I just got to AD like I hoped, so now I'm gonna go prepare for MKX. I'll probably come back every now and again to dispense advice if it's needed. See ya, y'all.

Captcha

Not there yet in this version but yeah I'm seeing people bitching about it wondering this too because didn't they nerf it in the OG in a patch at some point last year?

They added like 2 things and changed a pull right before the fog door. If anybody is having trouble they need to put their pride aside and go wheel and deal with Gavlan for poison arrows (as has been said a bunch already). Every last sorceress can be safely sniped.

Captcha

I still get summoned (even at an out of the way boss) at around 10 million soul level within 30 seconds usually, lol.
Probably because no one so far has had more than one knight for the Ivory King boss.

Still not getting the drop I need though :(.

Inspired by blood borne I decided to go shield less,...as my first ever souls run haha, it's been tough but rewarding. Just leveling the hell out of dex and adp.

ironcreed

Banned
The three DS2 DLCs are the best Souls content that exists.

As soon as I walked into Shulva my jaw dropped. Especially after the
dragon that woke up and flew away.
Then I was of course floored by what I have seen of the level layout, which is also amazing in what I have seen of the Old Iron King area. I know I am in for a real treat once I dig into all three, but just sampling two of the areas so far has me salivating.

God. Is anyone else finding the game to be almost too ridiculous in parts? I am not loving the remixed enemy locations. The old areas seemed to flow a bit better, playing a sorcerer now I obviously can't take many hits, so running to a boss is far more difficult thanks to the crowding, and if I kill everything in the way I am far too low on spells by the time I reach it. The bosses themselves are just as easy as before, I'm one shotting them for the most part. It's getting to them that is the pain in the ass.The game is not more difficult, it's just more irritating and time consuming. Stupid stuff like running through Earthen Peak and every 10 feet there's a new assassin jumping down your throat. Why? All that does is give me a one shot death, over and over. Dark Souls used to be about unique challenges and expecting a new form of death or surprise, not repeating the same jump 30 times between bonfires just to be a dick.

If they wanted to make it more difficult, they could have just removed some of the damn bonfires. Loading the areas up with ridiculous amounts of enemies does nothing but waste my time instead.

pa22word

Just a heads up for people about to visit the undead crypt....

theres a torch dude that follows you around like in the wharf area. Kill him or he will Agro the dark cov dudes

pa22word

God. Is anyone else finding the game to be almost too ridiculous in parts? I am not loving the remixed enemy locations. The old areas seemed to flow a bit better, playing a sorcerer now I obviously can't take many hits, so running to a boss is far more difficult thanks to the crowding, and if I kill everything in the way I am far too low on spells by the time I reach it. The bosses themselves are just as easy as before, I'm one shotting them for the most part. It's getting to them that is the pain in the ass.The game is not more difficult, it's just more irritating and time consuming. Stupid stuff like running through Earthen Peak and every 10 feet there's a new assassin jumping down your throat. Why? All that does is give me a one shot death, over and over. Dark Souls used to be about unique challenges and expecting a new form of death or surprise, not repeating the same jump 30 times between bonfires just to be a dick.

If they wanted to make it more difficult, they could have just removed some of the damn bonfires. Loading the areas up with ridiculous amounts of enemies does nothing but waste my time instead.

If you look around you can agro each of the assassins one a piece in earthen peak via shooting them with a bow. The gank squad on the way to the boss all perch them selves so you can do it directly after climbing the ladder after the bonfire and looking up.

There's also a hidden bonfire directly above the boss area you can get into and you never have to deal with them leading up to the boss again.

Captcha

What does cursed do again? Assuming it takes away your humanity? and what should my ADP be? Its 18 with agility at 94.

Curse just reduces your HP by an amount (I think) similar to if you died once.

Adaptability is up to you. I personally take it to 25 which puts AGI in the low 100s. 105 gives you the same iframes as DS1 I think.

Top Bottom