• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

First playthrough complete including all 3 DLCs. Just solo'd Ancient Dragon, feels good.

Time to wrap up a couple more things and move into NG+.

Corpekata

Banned
I've still yet to see complaints about the enemy placements that weren't either extremely overstated or very similar encounters in the vanilla game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What level do people usually do iron keep? Having a tough time finding a summoning sign at the bonfire to get help with smelter demon

You can use Lucatiel if you've been doing the quest but I guess you haven't?

Corpekata

Banned
What level do people usually do iron keep? Having a tough time finding a summoning sign at the bonfire to get help with smelter demon

I always save it for my last Great Soul. Personally I'm at like 90ish now and will probably be in the early 100s by the time I get there. However I've had the bonus souls ring on me for a lot of the game.

So that covenant you can join in Majula what does it do for me in terms of whawt doe it allow me to do or what?

There are 2 there. If it's from the guy, if you wear the ring and get invaded you can be protected by another faction players. However it's never been implemented well. If it's the stone, it makes the game much harder and is not recommended for newbies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Kinda regret buying MKX. I just wanna play this lol. Oh well

Get'sMad

Never did the DLCs in the OG and just got to B
rume
T
ower
. Probably calling it a night but I'm really forward to doing these since it was one of the main reason I bought this again...that and the obvious performance enhancements and just wanting to give the whole thing another go since I was so mixed on it during my 3 play-throughs last year.

Curse just reduces your HP by an amount (I think) similar to if you died once.

Adaptability is up to you. I personally take it to 25 which puts AGI in the low 100s. 105 gives you the same iframes as DS1 I think.
thanks! Will do that

Kinda regret buying MKX. I just wanna play this lol. Oh well
Haha I am in the same boat as well.
yes, but I heard the difficulty actually becomes much harder!
So the enemies will keep respwaning, in a sense it's good if you wanna grind for certain gear like the hedge knight armor?

Kazuhira

They added the aurous set(visible version) to ng,no more farming bs.
It´s in the gutter now,here´s the location if you want to look for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29RsKCLm7Pk&feature=youtu.be

fIl51lb.jpg

Rhaknar

Is the increased cast speed on the lions mage set significant or can you just use whatever? I'm not noticing much of a difference tbh

Guess who used the bonfire things three times at Majula and bought the butterfly set. Guess who didn't realize the butterfly set worked on NPCs.

I only had to kill the dude who sells you the ladder stuff. His sword seems pretty nice actually. May upgrade it and use it.

Get'sMad

I'm a weirdo but the Gutter/Black Gulch combo is my favorite in the game environmentally by far....annoying poison statues aside it actually makes good use of the torch mechanic and one of the few areas in the game that makes sense geographically.....love the verticalness of it and the whole way down has a nice eerie/creepy vibe to it.

It's probably also because I have some fond memories of staying up way too late while getting stoned playing it and listening to that radio station in San Francisco that was playing Nelly - Hot in Herre on a loop for a few days last year.

Victrix

*beard*
Heh, I liked them both too, and thought they were baby Blighttown...

Now that I'm replaying DS1, they're more like distantly related cousin's cousin's baby Blighttown, that place is hell.

Also I remain amazed at how well designed and connected DS1's world is, it's really amazing. Takes nothing away from DS2, given how much variety it has, but it's a great experience.

After spending the last couple weeks with Bloodbjorne, I upgraded to the Scholar edition on PC and started a new character. HOLY CRAP your character is slow and clumsy like a tank in this game after playing BB. It's taken me ~3 hours just to not mess up parries and successfully time roll-a-ways.

Wagram

Started this tonight. Good lord man it's a shame how these titles are just so much better than other games out there. Liking the changes to enemy placement thus far as it makes the experience feel fairly different. Pretty much a directors cut.

Victrix

*beard*
After spending the last couple weeks with Bloodbjorne, I upgraded to the Scholar edition on PC and started a new character. HOLY CRAP your character is slow and clumsy like a tank in this game after playing BB. It's taken me ~3 hours just to not mess up parries and successfully time roll-a-ways.

If you're trying to dodge, raise Agility. iframes are crap until it goes up, as is estus drinking speed.

Keep your equip load low and you'll be quick and agile.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can someone explain what the hell is happening in this video?

http://youtu.be/UEaUGjFabPo

IIRC from the original Dark Souls II (pre-Scholar), the Falchion (along with most curved swords) had very quick, near-instantaneous parry frames, very long parry animations and quick recovery. Even more so than parrying daggers and shields. It was very easy to parry enemies that telegraphed their attacks. I think it's been nerfed with recent calibrations, though.

Ratrat

IIRC from the original Dark Souls II (pre-Scholar), the Falchion (along with most curved swords) had very quick, near-instantaneous parry frames, very long parry animations and quick recovery. Even more so than parrying daggers and shields. It was very easy to parry enemies that telegraphed their attacks. I think it's been nerfed with recent calibrations, though.

interesting...going to test this then.

Rhaknar

and
Drangleic castle
done. got my chime from it, +10 infused with dark woot. btw speaking of magic, people say faith is nerfed but I was just 1 shot by a lightning spell from someone the mirror knight summoned >_>

sure my mage only has like 1050 health but still. Gonna leave
Shrine of Amana
for later, cba now :p

edit: oh I joined the
dark convenant, how hard are those dungeons you can do
?

Still not had any online interaction, which is odd. The only thing ive seen is at heides tower there was a mark up from the first fire called ole hydie or something but then it just fails.

Need to look at my stats think ive just been pumping stuff into endurance so I can get the weight limit up..

pa22word

So I'm near the end of the game and think I might want to go after dark lurker...

Experienced souls guys...dlc first or dark lurker?

Also I didn't get to fight the new last boss :/

Ending was the same as it was in og for me. Dunno what I did wrong, but hey, that's what ng+ is for :p

Roussow

Finally playing through a Souls game shieldless -- two-handng Greatswords. I hope to get to the point where I can power-stance dual wield Greatswords.

Just a thought though -- to do PVP through the Bell Keepers covenant do I just have to where the ring in the bell area? Will I get summoned / invaded anywhere as long as have the ring on?

Still not had any online interaction, which is odd. The only thing ive seen is at heides tower there was a mark up from the first fire called ole hydie or something but then it just fails.

Need to look at my stats think ive just been pumping stuff into endurance so I can get the weight limit up..
If you're inn the company of champions covenant, you can't do online. I made the same mistake at first :p

Danny 117

Finally playing through a Souls game shieldless -- two-handng Greatswords. I hope to get to the point where I can power-stance dual wield Greatswords.

Just a thought though -- to do PVP through the Bell Keepers covenant do I just have to where the ring in the bell area? Will I get summoned / invaded anywhere as long as have the ring on?

You'll be summoned anywhere as long as you're wearing the ring and are human.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
and
Drangleic castle
done. got my chime from it, +10 infused with dark woot. btw speaking of magic, people say faith is nerfed but I was just 1 shot by a lightning spell from someone the mirror knight summoned >_>

sure my mage only has like 1050 health but still. Gonna leave
Shrine of Amana
for later, cba now :p

edit: oh I joined the
dark convenant, how hard are those dungeons you can do
?

Black gulch one and the one under dranleic castle are tough!

Ayt

Banned

I'm guessing you just named the wrong stat here, but endurance only impacts stamina and hp in DS2. You'll want to increase vitality to increase your weight limit.

ohgawd the new enemy placements are hilarious. Heide's Tower of Flame is impossible to solo early in the game when all the Heide knights automatically aggro.

Also invested in the Arced Sword and I'm hating it. Damage isn't bad but the diagonal sweeps it does often manage to miss the enemy.

Weapon durability is a huge shit too.

pronk420

is there a weapon class that is overpowered in this? I always end up regretting my choice of weapon in souls games

I was thinking about going with some kind of mace/morning star since i had fun with that in demon's souls, and my previous DS2 build was dex/faith so i want to try strength/magic

Corpekata

Banned
ohgawd the new enemy placements are hilarious. Heide's Tower of Flame is impossible to solo early in the game when all the Heide knights automatically aggro.

Also invested in the Arced Sword and I'm hating it. Damage isn't bad but the diagonal sweeps it does often manage to miss the enemy.

They shouldn't automatically aggro. They should only aggro after you kill the boss, and a couple closer to the dragon do too. But if you're considering a dragon some Heide Knights shouldn't be an issue.

They shouldn't automatically aggro. They should only aggro after you kill the boss, and a couple closer to the dragon do too. But if you're considering a dragon some Heide Knights shouldn't be an issue.

I killed the dragonrider so they're making my way to the Old Dragonslayer a living hell. Might just pick stuff off one by one 15 times to make it easier but that's quite a timesink.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I don't like though... maybe I'm just hyper aware of these things, but I feel like there's something wrong with movement. I'm playing on PS4 and if I walk forward and move the left stick slowly to the left or right, my character keeps walking straight. It's not ruining my game experience, but sometimes it's really noticeable. Feel like I really have to tilt the stick to change movement. It's like there's a pretty big dead zone. The reason I notice this is because I just finished Bloodborne and it didn't have this issue.

Yeah there's a pretty noticeable deadzone with the left stick where you can only really move in 8 directions. Thankfully there's a mod on PC that removes the deadzone, which I've been playing with and enjoying.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I literally just rushed to dragonrider and killed him so I could safely summon the NPC to help me with that area, it's so tedious to do it solo.

Top Bottom