• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

ElTopo

Banned
Anyone have a good Auto Hot Key script? I'm about to reinstall the OG version of the game and I use Mouse/Keyboard.

Does the new version finally fix the mouse lag and weapon durability bug?

DALBEN

Banned
Cant you just kill him? or is there another dude after the persuer who does the same thing

I encontered 4 pursuers until now, i killed the first one,
I encontered one at the Forest of Fallen giants ( this one killed me so many times :( ), iron keep, and two others i think, but i dont remember the names of the maps.

Get'sMad

Shrine of Amana still sucked but it def. seemed easier than in the OG console version...easer to roll the casters soul arrows because of the 60fps, arrows also seemed weaker and those lizard/humanoid things, or whatever they are, were easier to spot.

Yeah he popped up even after I had beat him as a "boss" in the prison/tower stage (one with 3 knights) scared the crap out of me as it was in an area filled with bloody dogs and bow men. Sprinted off to hide till he left haha

Neoweee

Cant you just kill him? or is there another dude after the persuer who does the same thing

Some notes on the Pursuer(s):

- There are 4 or so spots where "Shadow Pursuers" appear.
- They have 1 new move, but less health.
- They are all separate enemies-- killing one does not prevent the others from spawning.
- If you run away, they will despawn, and not return until you rest at a bonfire.
- Each one gives 6000 souls AND a Twinkling Titanite. Great farming!
- Once you kill one, that location will not spawn anymore.
- You can easily abuse their shadow wave. When they charge up, run behind them and start smacking.

All upside to me. Cool atmosphere, fun fights, and a great reward that early.

Shrine of Amana still sucked but it def. seemed easier than in the OG console version...easer to roll the casters soul arrows because of the 60fps, arrows also seemed weaker and those lizard/humanoid things, or whatever they are, were easier to spot.

Mroe Priestesses, fewer lizards, a few extra knights. Range on the Priestesses is still horrifying, but at that point in the game you can be in a position to 1-or-2 shot them, or strong enough to start the DLC instead. That's my plan-- playing in Company of Champions, Shrine is completely horrifying. I'd rather be backstabbing armored guys in the DLC with my Lightning Club +10. Also, more options for armor means more ways to get decent Magic Defense.

DALBEN

Banned
Yeah he popped up even after I had beat him as a "boss" in the prison/tower stage (one with 3 knights) scared the crap out of me as it was in an area filled with bloody dogs and bow men. Sprinted off to hide till he left haha

hahaha he scared me to, "wtf".

So how do I open that locked door in the Shrine of Amana? Not the one by the fourth bonfire but the one by the second one, just across the hidden bridge. I remember reading before that you had to kill Vendrick but I've already done that and it still won't open. It looks like there'll be something interesting in there to by the design on it.

owlbeak

Can someone tell me where R
osabeth of Melfia
appears in Majula? I exhausted dialog, gave armor, and haven't seen her appear in Majula yet. I read she appears near the Crestfallen Covenant guy, but she's nowhere to be seen.

Edit: Nevermind, she's moved outside of where she originally was by the door.

ironcreed

Banned
Dat crown of the Old Iron King. Good riddance, Fume Knight. God, what a pain in the ass.

Screenshot-Original.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So how do I open that locked door in the Shrine of Amana? Not the one by the fourth bonfire but the one by the second one, just across the hidden bridge. I remember reading before that you had to kill Vendrick but I've already done that and it still won't open. It looks like there'll be something interesting in there to by the design on it.
You also have to be human. Eat an effigy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Air Allone? Like the Allone knights in Iron Keep?

ironcreed

Banned
Air Allone? Like the Allone knights in Iron Keep?

Only he is some ultra badass
samurai
who drains your entire stamina bar in one swipe and can kill you in 2 shots. I honestly think he is harder than the Fume Knight. Taking a break for the night.

Only he is some ultra badass
samurai
who drains your entire stamina bar in one swipe and can kill you in 2 shots. I honestly think he is harder than the Fume Knight. Taking a break for the night.

Hm, I found him to be a lot easier. But still pretty tricky. It's mostly the run back that I don't like about that fight. Never found a way to rush to the boss room without a couple of enemies getting a few cheap shots in. Both bosses are pretty similar in that you need good timing or you're done really quick.

Victrix

*beard*
what does this mean exactly? (there is no actual kick move anymore, right?)

also, i cant figure out how to do a running jump attack. i put jump on the B button and just cant seem to figure it out.

help?

It's a shield break that sets them up for a parry style riposte counter.

It's on L3 now, you can change it in the options, but I like having it on a separate button personally, awkward button or no.

Where can i get more fragrant branches? Ive used up all of them i can find and there's at least 4 places in shaded woods i need to use one (three guys blocking chests and one guy blocking a path after the scorpion)

Cerity

What they've done to the heide knights is disappointing, it was really cool seeing a random one here and there being non-agressive. But now :(

Heysoos

The giant one? Do NOT lock-on

Just stay under his back legs and hack away

Yeah it wasn't really him fucking me over it was the four stupid little rats. Their poison would fuck me up and the big one would pressure too hard that I couldn't heal. Anyways got him.

What's the purpose of the second bonfire in the gutter? It doesn't seem to be connected to the adjacent room, so it seems like a giant dead end that connects to nowhere

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's a lot of bonfires that are just there...because. Earthen peak has at least 2

There's a lot of bonfires that are just there...because. Earthen peak has at least 2

The weird thing about this one is that unless I'm missing something, even getting to it is one way. Once you're there, you have to either die or use a homeward bone to get back.

Rhaknar

The weird thing about this one is that unless I'm missing something, even getting to it is one way. Once you're there, you have to either die or use a homeward bone to get back.

Isn't it on the way or near the door to
havel's
set?

That bonfire is near the exit, if I recall correctly. Trying hitting the wall right near it; the planks will look looser.

Ayt

Banned
what does this mean exactly? (there is no actual kick move anymore, right?)

also, i cant figure out how to do a running jump attack. i put jump on the B button and just cant seem to figure it out.

help?

There is no kick. Instead you do a shoulder block which breaks their guard.

I don't know what you mean by a running jump attack. There is a regular jump attack you do by flicking the L stick towards the enemy at the same time as you press strong attack.

It's completely worthless to do as it would be way longer than just do NG++ normally, but :

120 x 25.000 = 3.000.000 = instantaneous NG++ access to the Shrine of Winter door without the need for Primal Bonfires

I just want to do it that way for the "challenge", really...

Daigoro

It's a shield break that sets them up for a parry style riposte counter.

It's on L3 now, you can change it in the options, but I like having it on a separate button personally, awkward button or no.

There is no kick. Instead you do a shoulder block which breaks their guard.

I don't know what you mean by a running jump attack. There is a regular jump attack you do by flicking the L stick towards the enemy at the same time as you press strong attack.

yeah i meant the jumping attack. havent fired it once yet. does it change if i moved jump to the B button?

so there is a guard break and a parry? im 10+ hours in and i havent figured this out yet... im mostly going 2 handed, so i dont parry too much, but i had no idea about the guard break.

Good lord I've run into gankers before in Iron Keep, but I ran into four separate groups in a row. Understand it's fun for some but, Jesus. Arena it is then. :[

Dryk

Can someone who is more immersed in this than I please explain whether when I eventually buy Dark Souls 2 (on PC) whether I should buy the original version or SotFS?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
There's a really subtle change they made in this version that's quite nice: the slight tweak to Pate and Creighton's quest.

I've always really liked the quest, what with how the game's
ambiguous about which of the sketchy dudes is the bad guy, but Pate always had a slight aura of respectability from helping you fight the Last Giant if you're so inclined, whereas Creighton just scarpered after you bailed him out of jail.

Scholar of the First Sin added
a summon sign for Creighton to help you with the Skeleton Lords, so now both of them are willing to do you a solid after you talk to them.

It's a tiny addition, but I'm rather excessively fond of it.

CrovaxPSO

In the U
ndead
C
rypt
, is there any way to stop
the assholes from constantly respawning and ringing the bells
?

Rhaknar

In the U
ndead
C
rypt
?

Yes
destroy the statues
. Except in the corridor on the way to the boss

KarmaCow

In the U
ndead
C
rypt
?

You can
break most of the statues with bells instead. I think the only one you can't is the last one in the zone.

Ayt

Banned
yeah i meant the jumping attack. havent fired it once yet. does it change if i moved jump to the B button?

so there is a guard break and a parry? im 10+ hours in and i havent figured this out yet... im mostly going 2 handed, so i dont parry too much, but i had no idea about the guard break.

The jump button has nothing to do with the jumping attack. Just flick the L stick forward while pressing R2 at the same time and you'll do the jumping attack. It is the same as it was in previous souls games.

You guard break the same way you kicked in DS1. Flick the L stick towards the enemy while hitting R1. They just changed the animation from a kick to something that looks like a shoulder block which knocks the enemy off balance and opens them for an attack. If they were blocking at the time, they will stagger and you can do the front riposte attack with R1. You just need to make sure you get right up into them to trigger the animation. It is very common for new pvp players to have this happen to them a lot because they run around with their shield up.

You can practice both of these moves just out in the open when not fighting an enemy if you are having trouble.

Can someone who is more immersed in this than I please explain whether when I eventually buy Dark Souls 2 (on PC) whether I should buy the original version or SotFS?

Scholar is the easy choice. It is a much better version of the game.

Top Bottom