• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Alright so I totally know this has been answered before, but bear with me: is there any point to playing the original Dark Souls 2 on PC now that this version is out?

edit: in fact it was JUST asked and answered. Ignore me.

Dryk

Scholar is the easy choice. It is a much better version of the game.
Thanks, I'd heard people say that some parts of the game are completely different and I couldn't tell if they were better or harder or worse or a combination.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
can someone explain this to me?

The New Ending for DS2. I got it, im kinda of confused what it means. It seems very vague.
Basically:
A big "Fuck you" to the cycle. You don't become king and then burn as fuel for the first flame. You don't just let it be and become a dark lord, potentially letting someone else relight the flame. Instead you walk away and let the flame fully die. Which is symbolised by the torches dying as your character walks away. That's how I understand it anyway. The regular ending is either king/ dark lord. Aldia ending is the third choice. No age of dark, no age of light. Just letting nature run its course

I hope Dark Souls 3 sheds some light on the Dark Soul and the first flame. They seem to be at odds with each other, yet humanities were used to keep the bonfires going.

drotahorror

OayZ0JX.jpg

2nd FromSoftware game I've plat'd in less than a month.

Maybe like, my 7th or 8th plat. I don't do it for too many games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
maaaaaaaaan got a awesome cleric coop bro that walked me through the first dlc, pointing out all the secrets and shit, was so fun, then he left :(

trying to finish the rest of the zone now but im lost, I got some key that opens a optinal area and now I dont know where to go (besides the optional area)

if that coop bro hadnt pointed out the switches on the ceilings and shit it would have taken me ages to find im not gonna lie

edit: nvm found a path I didnt take, and I hear some lady singing. im so scared alone in this zone you have no idea. stupid spells not working :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
FUCK that
dragon
boss. 130hp per dark orb, I miss my tank :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
maaaaaaaaan got a awesome cleric coop bro that walked me through the first dlc, pointing out all the secrets and shit, was so fun, then he left :(

trying to finish the rest of the zone now but im lost, I got some key that opens a optinal area and now I dont know where to go (besides the optional area)

if that coop bro hadnt pointed out the switches on the ceilings and shit it would have taken me ages to find im not gonna lie

edit: nvm found a path I didnt take, and I hear some lady singing. im so scared alone in this zone you have no idea. stupid spells not working :(

DLC areas is so fun to get summoned to. Pointing to hidden switches and stuff, it's awesome when the host understand what you want them to do :D. One time I got summoned to Shulva and ran straight ahead to the tombs to help the host out, I figure he must have been surprised when
The phantom enemies became solid and took more damage as he was fighting them. He probably wondered where the fuck I ran off too :lol

One of my favourite Souls areas for sure. Shulva and Shrine of Amana are the coolest.

Rhaknar

Crown of the Sunken King Aquired. Co-op'ed that
Sinh
cunt like a motherfucker, #noshame #imascrub #dlchatesmages

still need to do the optional locked area tho, I believe there is also a boss there?

drotahorror

I haven't tried, but would using pyromancy work instead of respecing and making drastic changes?

Maybe, but I doubt it. It seems magic in general did squat in the DLC's. I figured miracles/lightning would rip skeleton type enemies but nope, my soul arrows did more damage.

Personally if it takes 5+ soul arrows for me to kill a mob, it's taking too long. I never did the DLC's til new game+ but I had the best spells in the game at that point and 64 int with 44 faith. Stuff was taking way too long to kill.

Not to mention I wasn't having fun at all the entire time through new game and new game+. I respec'd to a +10 (ultra) greatsword and had a helluva good time. I just wanted to try caster out 1 time since I had never done it in souls games. Big regret spending 30+ hours playing something I hated.

FUCK that
dragon
boss. 130hp per dark orb, I miss my tank :(

Were you soul-less? It took me 20+ hours to realize dark orb used my souls for damage. Then I stopped using it.

Is there an EZ mode build for beginners?

Thats how I played DeS (caster!)

Casters are good but I don't think it's easy. I find it much easier to 2 hand and do work. Just a preference I suppose.

Rhaknar

Were you soul-less? It took me 20+ hours to realize dark orb used my souls for damage. Then I stopped using it.

Resonant Soul uses souls. Dark Orb does not :)

but I always have souls anyway

edit: hoooooooooooooly shit this run back to the
trio boss
in sunken king dlc o_O

edit: and Crown of the Sunken King fully done :D Man that was exausting, even with coop. I love/hate this zone, the look and level design is awesome, but its quite hard and frustrating especially as a mage. I bet its much more satisfying on a second playthrough when you know what to do.

Kylejc86

So I have just finished the main story and want to move onto the DLC but I am looking to respec. I currently have about 50 int and have been using the moonlight greatsword along with some pyro. What would you guys suggest I go for to complete the DLC's I'm at about 165 soul level and I have the rulers sword.

Rhaknar

"second" dlc is the Iron Keep one correct? Well, by order of release at least

NEO0MJ

So I have just finished the main story and want to move onto the DLC but I am looking to respec. I currently have about 50 int and have been using the moonlight greatsword along with some pyro. What would you guys suggest I go for to complete the DLC's I'm at about 165 soul level and I have the rulers sword.

Rulers Sword is useless unless you have 1,000,000 souls or so on you.

"second" dlc is the Iron Keep one correct? Well, by order of release at least

Yep. Hope you switched out of your dark build by now.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I'm really loving Dark Souls II. Only put in 4.5 hours so far, and just beat the first boss on my first try. I'm not going to let that lull me into a false sense of security as I did with Bloodborne. Cleric Beast was a breeze, then I died 10+ times to Father G. I'm expecting the same to happen with me the next boss in Dark Souls II.

Time flies with these games. Whenever I die I immediately want to give it another shot; this gets me stuck in a loop of playing for hours!

drotahorror

Resonant Soul uses souls. Dark Orb does not :)

but I always have souls anyway

doh, you are right, I gott'em mixed up.

I'm really loving Dark Souls II. Only put in 4.5 hours so far, and just beat the first boss on my first try. I'm not going to let that lull me into a false sense of security as I did with Bloodborne. Cleric Beast was a breeze, then I died 10+ times to Father G. I'm expecting the same to happen with me the next boss in Dark Souls II.

Got that right :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Heads up, patch is on the way to fix durability decreasing when weapons hit corpses and making it easier to execute guard break and jump attacks.

http://info.darksouls.jp/other/pc/information_detail/2015-04-16-01.html

Sweet for the corpse bug getting fixed. But durability itself won't be increased. Ta-da, it worked as intended at 60 FPS all along!

Some funny area names when using google translate. Like, wtf is Gilligan's Tower of Soil? Earthern Peak? Heide? :lol

Edit: Oh Gilligan is the ladder dude, Tower of Soil is obviously Earthern Peak. I are dumb.

They've also fixed Sleep Mode disconnecting you from the online servers for consoles it seems. A whole bunch of Xbone connectivity fixes

Victrix

*beard*
Sweet for the corpse bug getting fixed. But durability itself won't be increased. Ta-da, it worked as intended at 60 FPS all along!

Between the weapon slots and the bonfires repairing gear, it seems pretty clear that durability is meant to be a resource like estus charges, but this should fix the problem of inherently low durability weapons becoming unusable after one clusterfuck of a fight in a narrow corridor.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Between the weapon slots and the bonfires repairing gear, it seems pretty clear that durability is meant to be a resource like estus charges, but this should fix the problem of inherently low durability weapons becoming unusable after one clusterfuck of a fight in a narrow corridor.

Aye, I can now do the Katana full sweep at a bunch of dudes without fear of it breaking. I like how people who played on last gen consoles pretty much got EZ Mode with increased durability. Another thing that is telling is how you only fatroll once you go above 70%, probably raised that ceiling to accomodate equpping several weapons at once.

Well i hope that now some people will relize that it was a real problem lol

That was never in question, what people said was that the higher durability loss overall was the intended effect in 60 FPS. In 30 durability didn't decrease as much. Easy to get the two confused though, and probably the source of many unecessary arguments

drotahorror

With bonfire ascetics and the champion covenant you can max out so many weapons in your first new game that durability shouldn't even be an issue.

nded

I'm about to buy the game so I had a question...how's the dual wield sword class? I kinda want to play this like bloodborne.

I used dual caestus for a lot of the game, so dual swords should be viable. Make sure you have the stats power stance whatever weapons you're using. You can't really play this exactly like Bloodborne though; there's no health regain mechanic and popping lifegems/estus takes a little longer than blood vials.

Neoweee

With bonfire ascetics and the champion covenant you can max out so many weapons in your first new game that durability shouldn't even be an issue.

Some weapons were disproportionately hurt by the corpse durability loss. This change will barely effect most weapons, but will make a giant difference for some.

... Unless the translation or notes are incomplete, and they are also tweaking the wall or phantom penalties.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm about to buy the game so I had a question...how's the dual wield sword class? I kinda want to play this like bloodborne.

ive played all the games as a dodge-heavy sword wielder(Dex focused), and DS2 is fine as one. Rough in the early going though as you really need to bulk up AGL to make dodge rolling feel more viable with more I-frames. Once you hit around 95 in the stat, you will be far more capable of surviving the various swipes without feeling the timing windows are broken. So highly recommend prioritizing adaptability to raise AGL in the early levels if you want to be light and nimble on your feet.

Otherwise, don't expect blood borne here, but being an aggressive dodge-spammy dual wielder can be very fun here too.

Neoweee

the B-team made a better game than the A-team

Honestly, I hope they keep the significant durability loss for hitting walls. I cheesed the fuck out of Bloodborne by hitting enemies through walls with impunity. If you aren't going to program enemy AI to actually account for walls and pillars, then you need mechanisms in place to discourage clipping abuse.

Top Bottom