• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

saturnine

PvP blows when ping is awful, hitboxes suck and my hits (which on my screen clearly hit) don't register. I thought joining the Bell Covenant would be fun for some jolly PvP, lawl. Of course the opponents are so used to it they can exploit ping to their advantage? IDK. Hell you're best off using some heavy-ass weapon 1 handed, stun lock and riposte, instant kill since hitboxes are so messed :(

EDIT: Does someone have a recommendation for a PVP build, I have no idea how these guys do that move that allow a riposte from the front...
A riposte from the front ? Are you talking about the L2 parade or the shield break (when your stamina bar is fully drained after a shield block) ? Both can be chained with a simple R1 hit for massive damages.

And you couldn't be more wrong about heavy-ass weapons in PVP, most of the time they are so slow that you won't manage to connect a second hit, if you're even able to land the first one that is.
The best pvp weapons are the fast ones, especially with DSII's fucked up useless poise system. The rapier or the estoc can stunlock really easily, same with the cestus. One of the most dangerous weapons I witnessed in my early bellbro invasions was the fire longsword : somewhat fast swings and good damage.

So I beat the original last boss and then a new one shows up with the intention of one shotting me to death should I even look at it funny. I didn't get a trophy yet so I'm guessing I need to kill that too for it. I just wanna restart now but there's a new shiny pain in the ass blocking me.

Also what's up with Ancient Dragon? So easy if you watch the stamina and stay near the tail. Never even took a single hit that way. I figured it would have a tail whip attack or something.

DeaviL

Banned
PvP blows when ping is awful, hitboxes suck and my hits (which on my screen clearly hit) don't register. I thought joining the Bell Covenant would be fun for some jolly PvP, lawl. Of course the opponents are so used to it they can exploit ping to their advantage? IDK. Hell you're best off using some heavy-ass weapon 1 handed, stun lock and riposte, instant kill since hitboxes are so messed :(

EDIT: Does someone have a recommendation for a PVP build, I have no idea how these guys do that move that allow a riposte from the front...

The riposte move is forward + R1 it knocks you off balance and gives you time for a quick riposte.
It takes the place of the Dark Souls kick move.

Ac30

A riposte from the front ? Are you talking about the L2 parade or the shield break (when your stamina bar is fully drained after a shield block) ? Both can be chained with a simple R1 hit for massive damages.

And you couldn't be more wrong about heavy-ass weapons in PVP, most of the time they are so slow that you won't manage to connect a second hit, if you're even able to land the first one that is.
The best pvp weapons are the fast ones, especially with DSII's fucked up useless poise system. The rapier or the estoc can stunlock really easily, same with the cestus. One of the most dangerous weapons I witnessed in my early bellbro invasions was the fire longsword : somewhat fast swings and good damage.

Thanks, I'll need to try that with the Estoc then; I use the fire longsword +8 but the lag is killer, it passes through 'em :/ And I have Gigabit internet too lol.

The riposte move is forward + R1 it knocks you off balance and gives you time for a quick riposte.
It takes the place of the Dark Souls kick move.

Yeah I'm aware of that one, it was the shield break one I didn't know allowed for a riposte. The more you know I guess :p

EDIT: To add, do all piercing swords stagger? I love that about the mace I have.

I think the game has been great so far but the durability issue is kind of ridiculous. I'm only about an hour or so in but I can barely get through a group of enemies without my sword having to be repaired. Please tell me its gets better...

Well I only need two more things for my NG to be completed.

One is farming 120 total (very late game boss)
Giant Lord
Souls so I can skip almost all NG++ once I get there, for the last trophies I'll need to get.
I know I don't need to do that really, but I've never really tried it before either.

One other is either take on
Vendrick
with 4
Giant
Souls or try and get the fifth one from the
Ancient Dragon
before dealing with him...

Harvest Valley pretty switched up now, can't say I'm a fan of the pyromancer that shoots from the top.

They made the path to the boss a lot easier, dealing two pyromancers at once was a headache. It's like they smoothed out the difficulty of the zone.

Huntsman copse seems mostly unchanged.

Having never played the 2nd or 3rd DLC and not playing DS2 for a few months: Is there any new armor worth going for that is pretty easy to get to in any of the DLCs? I am playing mostly melee atm but I'll probably respec to some form of HexDex build when I get 10 or so more levels.

Loving all the little changes and having things come back to me. Hell, I played for several hundred hours but this new edition is like a whole new experience. Cleared out to No Mans Wharf and most of Huntsmans Copse so far. I'm having so much fun I can't decide which path I should continue on. Oh, and is it worth jumping down and getting Ricard's Rapier? Is it still pretty viable?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One is farming 120 total (very late game boss)
Giant Lord
Souls so I can skip almost all NG++ once I get there, for the last trophies I'll need to get.
I know I don't need to do that really, but I've never really tried it before either.

what?

Started playing for the first time last night, ended up playing way too late/early. Now I have to debate whether I dare turning it on again tonight or just catching up on sleep.

Really liking it better than Dark Souls but it is still early, only 4 bosses in.

So how much is ice rapiers projectile slowed down from the nerf? I have a full melee build w only 6 mag that I might bring to 15 dex just for that range attack since I'm not using knives or arrows or bolts. Is mag ice rapier still a decent range poker with no stat investment like it used to be ?

furreal doe, i'm sure somebody's seen it in action (can't test it with my current 11 dex), is the projectile stupid slow now? i liked adding it to melee chars before just because it gives you a distance threat that while isn't gonna kill someone doesn't let them just get out of melee range and do whatever they want.

i'm at 104 though now and pretty happy with my build, i don't think i'm gonna go much past the DS1 meta of 120/5 at this point simply because i don't see things i really need to do to see huge improvements with my char....any decent change i wanna see is a solid 10 levels of a stat away and for the reward just doesn't seem worth it (as someone that doesn't need to just like see all the spells and stuff, most of the weapons i want to rock with are around 30 str, and i hate the high level magic havel bullshit in the arena)

well i'ma stream the rest of the night mostly pvp maybe hit a little more of the eleyum loyce DLC but i'm like SM 750k ish if anyone wants to fight or needs help, or just wants to join in wrecking the dlc.

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

Neoweee

Harvest Valley pretty switched up now, can't say I'm a fan of the pyromancer that shoots from the top.

They made the path to the boss a lot easier, dealing two pyromancers at once was a headache. It's like they smoothed out the difficulty of the zone.

Huntsman copse seems mostly unchanged.

Copse actually has a lot of changes. New placements, a few extra hollows, dogs?, a duel with a Red Phantom to get the "key" rather than a gank squad, a fantastic farming spot, a spawn for Mr. F, and a handful of other changes. Most subtle changes, all improvements by my book.

Takuan

I'm gonna be streaming for 45 minutes or so. If anyone wants to watch me die in potentially hilarious ways, feel free to watch:

http://hitbox.tv/takuan

Gonna be messing around in No Man's Wharf. This is all new to me.

Edit: I suppose it'd help if I started streaming. It's up now. Enjoy the fuckery.

Edit 2: Gonna download DS2Fix to address the durability issue. I need my damned Heide Sword.

The Fume Knight... oh my god. Just pure bullshit hard.

IMO it's the fairest boss among all of the truly difficult Souls bosses. requires technical precision unmatched by probably any 1vs1 boss fight in the series. it took me 100+ tries to beat him, but I still think it's a fantastic fight and maybe the high point of DS2.

nah, brah, git gud

#rekt

No, in all seriousness, this is my main problem with Dark Souls II: forced invasions. In DsK1 you could choose to risk it and go human if you wanted to summon someone, or play the game hollow if you didn't want to get invaded. But here comes FROM and fuck you, player, get invaded by people who are actively building their characters to wreck yours. The only option you have is to fully disconnect yourself from the game, but that means that you'll miss the bloodpools and messages...

my problem with invasions in DS2 is there aren't enough of them. I was invaded maybe five times in 100 hours :-/

ironcreed

Banned
IMO it's the fairest boss among all of the truly difficult Souls bosses. requires technical precision unmatched by probably any 1vs1 boss fight in the series. it took me 100+ tries to beat him, but I still think it's a fantastic fight and maybe the high point of DS2.

It was my first encounter with him, so this was expected. Besides, taking those healing totems out might help a bit, lol. They are everywhere and only now do I realize how to take them out. I'll get him.

I haven't fought him yet, but regarding the technical precision comment, did you by any chance fight Abhorrent Beast in Bloodborne?

Playing the game at the moment, just beat the Mirror Knight.
I'm not really fan of some changes they did, like the stupid statues they put in front of some paths for absolutely no reason or the fact they changed Creighton's location in the Shaded Woods, wtf.
But apart from that, playing the game in 60 fps is quite nice and I'm having fun.

I immediately saw a reason for the statues. It gives you control over the sequence of the game without being a 'skeleton key' solution like they had in ds1 and also makes the fragrant branch of yore more meaningful. I thought it was cool. I also can't see how any returning player would be less than delighted by the enemy placements. Yes, there are more enemies in some areas but some have LESS or no enemies, rearranged placement or to my knowledge completely new enemies altogether. Keep that shield up(or roll ready) because you can't just stroll through the areas like you've done 1000 times before.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yep. Like his second phase. Attacks are easier to dodge but if you fuck up you're toast

Guru-Guru

Banned
I just bought this yesterday and spent 3 hours, mostly messing around. My thoughts so far:

-Bloodborne was my first Souls game, which I absolutely loved. Learning the different combat system has been a bit of a struggle, but that is to be expected. I keep trying to play like I did with my Bloodborne character, but I am obviously way slower. Early game enemies are pretty easy to avoid their attacks and learn their patterns, but the odd time I get unknowingly trapped between a wall and an enemy (or two), I always forget to use my shield. I didn't really gun parry that much in Bloodborne (with the exception of around 3 bosses), and mostly just evaded. I'm digging the combat in Dark Souls II as well though.

-The sheer amount of stats/customization/info in menus, etc. have been overwhelming. I play all my PS4 games in Japanese too, and that makes it even harder to figure out. I have put most of my stats so far into endurance, adaptability, and strength so far. I'm leaning towards going for a melee build, but to be honest, I haven't read any build info online, and I will likely just wing it. I guess if I wanted to play similar to how I did in Bloodborne, I would instead put points into dexterity, endurance, and adaptability?

-I like finding a lot of equipment compared to Bloodborne, even if most of the early game stuff I have found so far hasn't been that useful. Still nice!

Rocking the heide knight sword early on with my STR/Faith build. Will this thing be viable long term or should I keep an eye out for something else soon?

Just found the bastard sword and the move set seems nice and i like the longer reach. Would it be a good choice to infuse with lightning for my build?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Rocking the heide knight sword early on with my STR/Faith build. Will this thing be viable long term or should I keep an eye out for something else soon?

Just found the bastard sword and the move set seems nice and i like the longer reach. Would it be a good choice to infuse with lightning for my build?

Everything is viable. It is all about what movesets you like.

Fuck. Had two dudes with me to take out the dragon. Run onto the bridge and get swiped off but they kill it before I despawn, now it's gone and I didn't get any loot or soul :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I assume that
gray dragon that pops up in various places
in the first DLC is the boss? Or at least A boss.

Rhaknar

Oh, you're going to have fun.

I hate this dlc Nabs :(

But I also love it :(

Earlier after many deaths I finally made some progress...and then died to a
corridor full of spikes from the walls
:(

Also I got MKX /dare

Arkage

Banned
How viable is sorcerer compared to general sword/shield bro? I never played a magic class in a souls game and never played DS2. Thanks!

How viable is sorcerer compared to general sword/shield bro? I never played a magic class in a souls game and never played DS2. Thanks!

You can make a mage hit hard as hell with the right stats and setup. Also it has a kinda cool advantage since you can snipe some enemies that might perhaps give you trouble. I've never actually played a mage myself but I've seen plenty tearing it up, and been on the bad end of the spells a good few times too. There's some really tough mages out there doing PvP.

The Fume Knight is hands down the hardest boss in the series. Jesus Christ.

I found a little something to make him a bit easier. Once he goes into his badass phase try to keep more distance. Although his lunge attacks can be pretty quick they're easy to read after a couple tries and it's a whole lot easier to get behind him by rolling at one of his sides, dodging the regular follow up and getting an attack window. Since his sword has good reach too he tried his 3 swing combo quite a lot as I was gaining distance again which gave a really nice window to heal, just gotta be sure he's making that third swing.

Rhaknar

It's not only viable but better in some cases. Not so much in the dlc areas tho aparently >_>

tanooki27

i figure i'm about 3/4th thru bloodborne but i'm so goddam tempted to snap up DS2 for that sweet 60fps. never played it on PS3. impulse to conserve money dropping...

Hmm so beat the night after the dragon (same model from Dark souls? forget his name though) then managed to get a boss kill as a white phantom to join the blue knights.

Did the 3 lanky knights after 4 trys, came in via some route that dropped me infront of one? took him out then picked off another.

Apparently level 60 though, seems abit high. Guess Im going STR build cos I ploughed 30 levels into it just so i can swing these obscene great swords and hammers about.

No clue where you get better headgear from, only thanks to those heige knight is my helm not the starter..

Top Bottom