• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

v0mitg0d

Now that the game has been out for a bit I have some question for you fine folks:

1) If I have the (vanilla) game already on PC but don't have any DLC. I'd like to play in on my couch. Is this purchase worth $60 to you? for what it's worth, I'm a fairly big souls fan.

2) How does the game look (to you) on PS4? What about XBO owners? I have both consoles.

3) What is this "remix" stuff people are mentioning? Enemies have been moved around and shortcuts added? It sounds interesting! What else is new within the game world? New weapons and armor?

4) If I do pick it up, whats the DLC order of operation? Do the monster levels adjust to yours so you can do them in any order?

5) I originally played sword and board with my PC play (didnt complete the game), but this time I'd be interested in a magic class. What build + weapon path did you enjoy?

Thanks in advanced!!

[/LIST]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
1) If I have the (vanilla) game already on PC but don't have any DLC. I'd like to play in on my couch. Is this purchase worth $60 to you? for what it's worth, I'm a fairly big souls fan.
If you have the vanilla game on PC without any DLC, you can get the new version for 30 bucks.

3) What is this "remix" stuff people are mentioning? Enemies have been moved around and shortcuts added? It sounds interesting! What else is new within the game world? New weapons and armor?
Yeah, there are different enemy placements and they've moved some items around a bit. There's also an important new NPC with some story stuff. Haven't found any new shortcuts myself. I wanna say I saw a new weapon or two but it could just be stuff I didn't find from last time.

4) If I do pick it up, whats the DLC order of operation? Do the monster levels adjust to yours so you can do them in any order?

DLC seems to be balanced for endgame.

lol you keep telling yourself that.

I've put plenty of time into both games; I don't have to "tell myself" anything.

Honestly, I hope they keep the significant durability loss for hitting walls. I cheesed the fuck out of Bloodborne by hitting enemies through walls with impunity. If you aren't going to program enemy AI to actually account for walls and pillars, then you need mechanisms in place to discourage clipping abuse.

Then remove areas like Black Gulch where the only way to get through them is by hitting lots of walls

Neoweee

You can just switch out to your fist and one hit punch the statues anyway.

I mostly just ignore them. Both of the shortcuts and bypasses skip 80% of them, and the few after the last bonfire are easy to smash if you really feel it is necessary.

There are zones where durability is a big issue, but gulch has never been one for me.

drotahorror

Some weapons were disproportionately hurt by the corpse durability loss. This change will barely effect most weapons, but will make a giant difference for some.

... Unless the translation or notes are incomplete, and they are also tweaking the wall or phantom penalties.

word. It definitely affects certain weapons more than others. I was scared going in though after all the fear mongering going on prior to the games official release. Turns out it was the same experience anyway regarding durability. Played the vanilla PC version on release.

Nephtes

From Software via Google Translate said:
•In Xbox One version, and the boundary of the area has been back and forth many times, modification of phenomenon that game hangs up

Sounds like they're fixing the Xbox One random lock up issues...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
lol you keep telling yourself that.

Yes, you have the purest most objective opinion. Some people like it better, get over it lol.

Enough with this "B-Team" shit. The "B-Team" sequel is a much better game than the "A-Team" original.

Glad to hear about the durability fix for corpses.

Aye, they made a much larger game too. More goodness.

Sounds like they're fixing the Xbox One random lock up issues...

Along with all the issues with getting disconnected from the matchmaking server. Sweet deal for Xbros.

Didn't have any problems with durability but I also don't use very fragile weapons, so it's good they're fixing this for people with problems.

I'd really like it if they increased lighting spear charges or damage, I'm eyeing a faith build for my next run through but 3 charges on the first spear seems low.

Neoweee

Didn't have any problems with durability but I also don't use very fragile weapons, so it's good they're fixing this for people with problems.

I'd really like it if they increased lighting spear charges or damage, I'm eyeing a faith build for my next run through but 3 charges on the first spear seems low.

Faith wants attunement. I get 9 spears per stack.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Agreed. I've been running with the grand lance and it has 100 durability. When I tried using the bone scythe which had 40 durability I realized what everyone was complaining about.

wrongway

Agreed. I've been running with the grand lance and it has 100 durability. When I tried using the bone scythe which had 40 durability I realized what everyone was complaining about.

Yeah, it really depends on the weapon. When I played the original release on PC, I made a Dex-based character and thought the rapier was fun to use, but it was really a perfect storm of bullshit for the durability system. Few durability points (30 originally, 45 now), low per-hit damage so it took more hits to kill, and the thrusting style meant it tended to stay in contact with your target after it died so it liked to take bonus damage from the corpse bug. The result was a weapon that was ready to disintigrate just moving between close bonfires.

Then I tried the spear and it was even worse. D:

Thankfully it seems like they gave a lot of the 'problem weapons' more durability points, but it would be wonderful if they can actually fix the corpse bug.

Audioboxer

Just started this. Jesus, the combat is rough coming off of Bloodborne. As is character creation, it really is terrible. My character looks like casper the ghost as well, for whatever reason he is 100 shades lighter in-game from creation menu.

And this isn't a dig at 60FPS, but a personal observation. Finding it a little hard to adjust. Keep running off edges by accident lol.

edit: I platinumed DS2 on PS3. The improvements Bloodborne has made to combat just stand out much more when you go back.

ironcreed

Banned
I think I am going to head on back to Shulva and finish the rest of Brume Tower up after that. I love what I have seen of that area so much.

Just started this. Jesus, the combat is rough coming off of Bloodborne. As is character creation, it really is terrible. My character looks like casper the ghost as well, for whatever reason he is 100 shades lighter in-game from creation menu.

And this isn't a dig at 60FPS, but a personal observation. Finding it a little hard to adjust. Keep running off edges by accident lol.

edit: I platinumed DS2 on PS3. The improvements Bloodborne has made to combat just stand out much more when you go back.

Felt exactly the same way at first. Get your ADP up early, it helps a lot. It doesn't make the combat anywhere near as good as Bloodborne, but nothing will.

I've more or less adjusted to it. Now I don't necessarily think it's worse. Just different. (Well, maybe a little worse :D)

hawk2025

It's not really the 60fps (that only helps), the game just plain doesn't play as well as far as combat and just basic running around goes, despite the much better framerate.

However, you will adjust to it in short order, I know I certainly did. Get that ADP up as well, it should only take a little while to get back into the groove :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

If you try to play it super aggressively like Bloodborne, then it will suck for sure.

The Souls games are a good deal slower and more methodical in comparison, especially if you're playing with a shield. It's much more about being reactionary than going balls out berserk on enemies.

I like both, honestly, but I think the Souls games suits me better. I've always been a dirty shield user, though, so I think my next playthrough of DSII will be using a two-hander. I've never dabbled with Miracles in the game, either, so maybe I'll try some kind of Paladin (Strength/Faith) build.

Dimmle

Jesus,
Sinh
is really highlighting the decreased durability. I do not enjoy this fight as a melee build. Useless targeting, constant nursing of the camera, weird hit boxes, and overwhelming attack range. It's hard to be a pugilist.

Neoweee

Jesus,
Sinh
is really highlighting the decreased durability. I do not enjoy this fight as a melee build. Useless targeting, constant nursing of the camera, weird hit boxes, and overwhelming attack range. It's hard to be a pugilist.

That isn't the issue. It is a mechanic for the fight 100% unrelated to the 60fps.

Captcha

Heads up, patch is on the way to fix durability decreasing when weapons hit corpses and making it easier to execute guard break and jump attacks.

http://info.darksouls.jp/other/pc/information_detail/2015-04-16-01.html

The corpse thing is needed considering how often you seem to fight multiple enemies. Sometimes aiming away after you kill one thing is just not feasible. I didn't see anything (through shitty Google translate) about fixing durability when you hit phantoms which I also think is terrible. It makes stuff like
the Ivory King
fight absolutely awful. Are you supposed to take turns hitting stuff when you co-op so you don't accidentally swipe each other? It is probably my biggest issue with the durability stuff. Aside from that it isn't that bad at all.

addyb

So I thought iron keep and smelter was a breeze but now struggling in the run to the next boss. Either it's harder or I've just lost my skills lol.

Hugstable

Banned
So I thought iron keep and smelter was a breeze but now struggling in the run to the next boss. Either it's harder or I've just lost my skills lol.

lol I was the opposite, I failed so much in the Smelter path that they eventually stopped spawning. After that I ended up gettign to the next boss in 1 shot.

-______-

Hugstable

Banned
I like hearing stuff like this cuz it means that From Software will continue to be able to pump out quality software at a good pace

Awesome times

Love both teams honestly

Same, it has me excited that we will be getting more great FromSoft games because of it, with both teams being of an amazing quality. Been going through the DLC now and it's just making me even more excited for what this team can do. Give them more time this time too N/B!

Either the game's difficulty has been toned down, or Bloodborne has made me a much better Souls player.

I've always played rather defensively before Bloodborne....now I'm all up in there double fisting my tools on these fools.

Beaulieu

weapon upgrade is so confusing...
should I keep upgrading my weapon with twinkling shards or should I wait for elemental shards ? how come elemental shards remove so much attack power ? :(

Pewp

I got the platinum in Bloodborne and then instantly popped this game in. Created my character (a Knight) and got to Marjula.

Since Bloodborne was my first Souls game, is there anything I should know before I start getting into the game?

ElFly

weapon upgrade is so confusing...
should I keep upgrading my weapon with twinkling shards or should I wait for elemental shards ? how come elemental shards remove so much attack power ? :(

Element is independent of upgrade.

You will keep using twinkling to augment the +1 counter, even after making your weapon into fire/poison/dark/whatever.

They remove attack power because you will get an extra bonus from your own elemental bonus, and ideally you are using the weapon to attack enemies that are weak to that element.

Remember that you can re enchant weapons to any element you like, so don't be afraid to experiment. You will lose your elemental shard but that's all.

Anung

Un Rama
Either the game's difficulty has been toned down, or Bloodborne has made me a much better Souls player.

I've always played rather defensively before Bloodborne....now I'm all up in there double fisting my tools on these fools.

I'm having the exact same experience. Absolutely beasting my way through this game. Even hollowed and solo I'm one shotting most bosses.

The petrified statue nonsense has made me break sequence a few times. I beat Freya the spider before the ruin sentinels, the lost sinner or the Gargoyles.

weevles

I was going to hold off getting this game, but maybe I should get it now since everyone is bragging how easy the game is. I'd hate to settle down the road if From gets annoyed and decides to patch uber difficulty into the game later. :p

Dimmle

I never noticed how clever the small white soapstone gameplay loop is. It just clicked with me in Drangleic this morning.

1)Fail at a section.
2)Lose humanity.
3)Drop a small soapstone sign.
4)Help someone else.
5)Get humanity.
6)Succeed?????

Neoweee

I was going to hold off getting this game, but maybe I should get it now since everyone is bragging how easy the game is. I'd hate to settle down the road if From gets annoyed and decides to patch uber difficulty into the game later. :p

Good luck with that. Probably not worth your time.

Hellcrow

Goddamn three invasions before I even get to cross the damn bridge in Iron Keep. I have knights to kill!

And I need help with Smelter demon. Fuck that guy

Top Bottom