• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I'm having the exact same experience. Absolutely beasting my way through this game. Even hollowed and solo I'm one shotting most bosses.

The petrified statue nonsense has made me break sequence a few times. I beat Freya the spider before the ruin sentinels, the lost sinner or the Gargoyles.

Alot of it is just reaction and memory from previous games. The game is only as hard as you are fast enough to dodge/ figure out tells for attacks etc ala Monster Hunter imo

how does bell covenant summoning work in this version? i used to hang out in servant's quarters in bastille on ps3 for summons. now it doesn't work anymore?

edit: nm, it still works.

bronk

Banned
The elevator bug/glitch in
lumenflower garden
is pissing me off. Someone please tell me there's a fix or if they are gonna patch it soon?

Edit oops wrong thread. Im excited to jump back in ds2 on ps4 when im done with Bloodborne. I think i prefer ds2 we ll see

Is there anyone around 350,000 SM who can help me with Ruin Sentinels?

I'm feeling a little squishy as a low-level hexer . . .

Edit: Found a phantom who didn't suck and did it!

Now starting a run for the platinum trophy and got a bit of a leg up by taking down the bosses in the first two areas and opening the shaded woods etc.

Before I go further what's missable? I know I have to summon the two npcs into certain bosses and which certain lever not to pull, but is there anything else to be careful of?

Skatterd

So after hearing people's horror stories about new Iron Keep I was prepared for the worst...but it seemed much easier to me o_O. Perhaps I'm just a better player now.

Also imo I like the new enemy placements a lot more than the vanilla game in most places (with a few exceptions)

Now starting a run for the platinum trophy and got a bit of a leg up by taking down the bosses in the first two areas and opening the shaded woods etc.

Before I go further what's missable? I know I have to summon the two npcs into certain bosses and which certain lever not to pull, but is there anything else to be careful of?

lever? also whats the NPC you have to summon besides lucatiel? i only know luc's quest line, hows the other one go?

i can't stand dual manikin fights, that's one of the worst enemy combos i've fought in the series, like all i can do is get lucky and pancake them both at once or really cheese them with the environment

i'ma stream for the rest of the night, come say hello? mostly me getting mad at pvp and my controller but a little drangelic and maybe some dlc thrown in between

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

lever? also whats the NPC you have to summon besides lucatiel? i only know luc's quest line, hows the other one go?

The other summon is the guy with the moonlight great sword outside of shaded woods. Just summon him wherever you can, of course it's best to stay human so you can see who's available at each boss.

The lever is the one in the area where the giant dragon skeleton sits. It's on the left as you enter and surrounded by player made warnings. It will ruin a lot of quests if you pull it.

guys what's up with kings passage? i thought if you killed the stone soldiers in the room with the giant his fire lights, but none of the soldiers come to life for me so i'm stuck....i think it's a bug, some other people have talked about it. am i missing something? um i'm streaming now maybe i'll try cooping a few times to see if it kicks out or not but i beat this game twice and i'm pretty sure this is some kind of glitch? or am i being stupid and missing something?

Sullichin

I can literally sit here for hours just invading people in the bell tower areas or iron keep bridge and be happy.

Yeah it's amazing going back to this after Bloodborne. I don't even have time to take the ring off before I'm summoned to get another chunk.

guys what's up with kings passage? i thought if you killed the stone soldiers in the room with the giant his fire lights, but none of the soldiers come to life for me so i'm stuck....i think it's a bug, some other people have talked about it. am i missing something? um i'm streaming now maybe i'll try cooping a few times to see if it kicks out or not but i beat this game twice and i'm pretty sure this is some kind of glitch? or am i being stupid and missing something?

You gotta kill them near the giant so the souls go to him

Captcha

My biggest piece of advice is to take care of the covenant specific grinding that requires co-op or invasions before you get out of the sweet spot for soul memory. I made the mistake of over-leveling and had to grind for sun medals and Dark Berserker (for the Bell Covenant); both of those were awful.

Don't forget about Vengarl and killing his body which unlocks a trophy. They moved him to Shrouded Ruins and you need a branch to access him now (he's just beyond Tark).
Hardly anything is truly missable with ascetics, though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

The soldiers have to die fairly close to the golem in order for it to absorb their souls. I messed it up when I did the room the first time, and there aren't but a couple of soldiers there that actually come to life, so I had to basically lure an enemy from the next room over.

The soldiers don't come to life in the new version of the game. There may be some other enemies nearby, though.

My biggest piece of advice is to take care of the covenant specific grinding that requires co-op or invasions before you get out of the sweet spot for soul memory. I made the mistake of over-leveling and had to grind for sun medals and Dark Berserker (for the Bell Covenant); both of those were awful.

Don't forget about Vengarl and killing his body which unlocks a trophy. They moved him to Shrouded Ruins and you need a branch to access him now (he's just beyond Tark).

That's a good point. I'd totally forgotten about the covenants. Do they all hold gear/spells needed by maxing them out or is it only certain ones? I maxed the rat covenant on my last run but it didn't seem like much of notice dropped.

yeah that's genuinely bizzarre. none of the stone soldiers came to life ever for me. only the manikins in the next room, and the only way i could activate the statue was by kiting them all the way into the statue room and only when they were killed right next to the statue did it activate. what a strange design decision

Heysoos

So, what's generally considered the best STR weapon against bosses? I've been using my Zwein and Great Lance and rotate them every once in a while. But if there's better ones out there, I'd like to level them up and have them for bosses/PVE in general since I have a ton of spare upgrade stuff.

That's a good point. I'd totally forgotten about the covenants. Do they all hold gear/spells needed by maxing them out or is it only certain ones? I maxed the rat covenant on my last run but it didn't seem like much of notice dropped.

- You need to max out the Sunlight covenant by getting 30 Sunlight medals. Those are obtained by helping people in co-op as a covenant member, or by summoning members of the covenant to help you.
- You need to get rank 2 in Bell Keepers, which requires 30 PvP wins in those 2 covenant-specific areas. However, you can also get this by grinding kills of a certain NPC invader who shows up sometimes.
- You need to max out Abyss covenant, but that's all single-player stuff. Recommended to do it on the first playthrough, though, because it's tough and will only get tougher in NG+.

The other covenant-specific spells that would take a long, long time to get through normal play can be purchased from a certain vendor in NG++.

Hugstable

Banned
So, what's generally considered the best STR weapon against bosses? I've been using my Zwein and Great Lance and rotate them every once in a while. But if there's better ones out there, I'd like to level them up and have them for bosses/PVE in general since I have a ton of spare upgrade stuff.

Club/ Great Demon Mace is pretty good I think, I always carry one or the other on me along with my Zwei. They knock the shit out of regular enemies, and the R2 in 2-hand mode turns red phantoms into a joke

Skatterd

Come to the Greatsword side, it's fun here :)
Large Club is pretty wreck too.

Captcha

The Heirs of the Sun, Pilgrims of the Dark, and Bell Keepers have spells that can't be gotten anywhere else. I think a couple of the other covenants have certain spells you can get early by maxing them, but they are obtainable by other means.

Only just made it to Iron Keep but I am already planning on playing Dark Souls 1 again after(only ever made it to Anor Londo and never touched the dlc.) Having a great time.

Got my Crypt Blacksword fully buffed and my Flynn's Ring, back to glorious 700+ attack power like my DX9 version. Things disintegrate when I hit them.

Neoweee

Company of Champions on the DLC as a Faith build is ruining me. I can do it, I can make progress, but boy is it hard. I think a few more points in Strength (or respec into Dex) could make a huge difference. CoC pushing enemies from 1->2, 2->3, or 3->4 hits is a big deal. For the most part, it just slows down progress to make the "distance" in time between bonfires and shortcuts much, much longer than what is typical in any of the games. Likewise

Plan:

1) Ascetic something that will be useful. I already got a 2nd stack of Toxic Mist by asceticing the RRV. What else?
2) Continue to dump points into Vit. I need to be able to survive more than 2 or 3 hits.
3) Swap one of my light pieces of armor for something heavier, with a shitload of poise. Lion Clan Skirt -> LKG Pants? Overkill?

I'm not going to look up a guide to find shortcuts or bonfires. Fuck that. I assume I missed something in DLC1, the 2nd->3rd bonfire in DLC2 is just really long it seems, and the first section of DLC3 is brutal.

where is the life ring +2 now? i thought it was right by the 3rd SOA bonfire but now i can't find it, did they move it for this version or is it just further back or something

ike_

I still think my favorite is DLC3 for that yellow-ass blue color scheme.

3RIC9RL.jpg

I wanted to take back what I said about DLC1 (sunken) though. Dipping into it again, it has some cool areas and a strong intro:

Which I just realized reminds me a little of:

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Started the first DLC and man what a difficulty spike. I love it. I'm really enjoying it so far. When I get to NG+ I'm going to try out a dex/hex build next. Loving respec.

Fisty

Anyone want to give me a hand on the first DLC? Im level 120 on PS4, standing at Sanctum Walk bonfire. Throw down a sign and ill summon you!

I kinda wanna do a magic build when I start this (hopefully this weekend) but knowing that Magic is nerfed hard in the DLC areas makes me reconsider. Magic is my least played class in all the Souls games and this seems like a good time to rectify that but it would suck ass if I had to abandon it mid game to go melee again to tackle the DLC.

Maybe a faith/Hex build would work better. I dunno.

HeelPower

I still think my favorite is DLC3 for that yellow-ass blue color scheme.

Can you tell me how to get this armor ?

I've beaten Lost Bastille,Wharf,Heide's tower and I still didn't get an option to buy this armor...Totally forgot how it unlocks.

saturnine

Can you tell me how to get this armor ?

I've beaten Lost Bastille,Wharf,Heide's tower and I still didn't get an option to buy this armor...Totally forgot how it unlocks.

You can buy it from the armorer in Majula once he upgrades his stock. I think it's the first upgrade.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Welp I got bad luck and Onifex is now dead... FUCKING FROGS!!!!

By bad luck you mean you fucked up? Never seen anyone not kill those frogs before freeing her

Also, I don't know what it is about this game but I'm thinking about making another new character, a faith one this time which I never used. But i really should move on to other stuff :/

Well what I should do, and will, is do the other 2 dlcs and finish the game lol

Looking back I should have done CoC for this run, base game is too easy for me now. They also buffed ultra greatsword and it is a beast. Though I've never done the DLC I should probably do that before doing a CoC run through it, hear it's quite hard.

How do you open the bonfire before Freja? I completely forgot how to, the one next to where the blacksmith spawns. Want it for completionist sake.

Looking back I should have done CoC for this run, base game is too easy for me now. They also buffed ultra greatsword and it is a beast. Though I've never done the DLC I should probably do that before doing a CoC run through it, hear it's quite hard.

How do you open the bonfire before Freja? I completely forgot how to, the one next to where the blacksmith spawns. Want it for completionist sake.

If I recall you have to drop down from above. I wish that bonfire was fixed with the enemy placement changes. Why do there need to be spiders in there? Why does there need to be spiders that will follow you into the merchant's house and bite you while you're trying to buy shit?

It's weird as they fixed the one with Straid where the enemies are still there, but passive until you attack them(?)

Top Bottom