• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

saturnine

If I recall you have to drop down from above. I wish that bonfire was fixed with the enemy placement changes. Why do there need to be spiders in there? Why does there need to be spiders that will follow you into the merchant's house and bite you while you're trying to buy shit?

It's weird as they fixed the one with Straid where the enemies are still there, but passive until you attack them(?)

It's slightly harder to reach now, they seem to have removed one of the zip lines.

If you're holding a torch the spiders will back away, even if you are hitting them. Makes the whole area really easier.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's slightly harder to reach now, they seem to have removed one of the zip lines.

If you're holding a torch the spiders will back away, even if you are hitting them. Makes the whole area really easier.

It's just as fast as before because you never needed that second zip line, you just drop down, which you could do before aswell

65 hours in and all 32 bosses defeated! Don't know how to feel about this game in comparison to DS1. Gameplay is vastly superior for the most part, and PvP and co-op is a blast in comparison to the first one. But a lot of the bosses, and a handful of areas feel really fucking lazy. Black Gulch being the biggest offender, if you're going to make an area centered around poison, at least design the level in a way that getting poisoned doesn't feel like a crapshoot everytime. Having to
Chop away at dozens of poison statues without any clear cut signs of which statues fire
isn't challenging or engaging, it's fucking tedious as shit. It's like From even noticed this by making the level short as all hell.

DLC shits all over most of the main game stuff though. Especially Brume Tower.

bobawesome

Summoning people just to farm for Loyce souls is such a dick move. At least die to try and make it convincing. Don't just sent everyone back when the Ivory King appears.

saturnine

It's just as fast as before because you never needed that second zip line, you just drop down, which you could do before aswell

well yeah sure, but now if you take the first zipline you can no longer access the bonfire. what I meant is it's easier than before to lock yourself out of the bonfire on your descent.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well yeah sure, but now if you take the first zipline you can no longer access the bonfire. what I meant is it's easier than before to lock yourself out of the bonfire on your descent.

You are correct sir

Just incase you ever want help again and whatnot, you should just list your soul memory. It's much more important than level.

This is accurate http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

Is it even possible to setup coop sessions with people you want?

Just got through Sinh with a Hexer build, man that was a serious challenge. I'm really considering using a Soul Vessel and running a STR/INT build just for the DLC.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Summoning people just to farm for Loyce souls is such a dick move. At least die to try and make it convincing. Don't just sent everyone back when the Ivory King appears.

You're pretty much never sure whether it's a farming run or a full-on boss run when you put your sign down in there, and it's pretty likely that the host thought they were doing you a favor. Phantoms can gather Loyce Souls too, and that's usually what most folks co-oping that boss are really after, hence the prevalence of Jesters and drooling chest heads in the area. When I was gathering my 50 I got summoned by the same dude 3 or 4 times in a row, and got black crystal-ed out every time after we finished gesticulating at the boss portal. I appreciated it at the time; was nice and efficient and we were all getting what we were after.

I abandoned the place as a co-op destination after getting my 50 for the same reason, though. Seemed to be pretty evenly split between people farming and people fighting for the win, and the former holds no appeal once you're done with the grind.

Rhaknar

Just got through Sinh with a Hexer build, man that was a serious challenge. I'm seriously considering using a Soul Vessel and running a STR/INT build just for the DLC.

I don't want to do that because this is my mage character :/

I might do a non-hex "blue magic" build tho but I doubt that helps much on the other 2 dlcs

Yeah. With name engraved ring and within soul memory range (which is very generous) it's very easy to coop with friends.

Good to know, might have to do that

I might do a non-hex "blue magic" build tho but I doubt that helps much on the other 2 dlcs

If you mean sorceries I guess I should be more specific, my caster is an "archmage" build so I'm using all the different schools of magic. The only one that's even somewhat effective damage-wise is pyromancy which has serious range/cast limitations.

LeonSPBR

By bad luck you mean you fucked up? Never seen anyone not kill those frogs before freeing her

Also, I don't know what it is about this game but I'm thinking about making another new character, a faith one this time which I never used. But i really should move on to other stuff :/

Well what I should do, and will, is do the other 2 dlcs and finish the game lol

Problem was that I fell in the hole and was way too little health, and I saw that door and thought to run away from them, but suprise Ornfex was there and the frogs killed her.... Welp, I won't be getting any boss weapon now...

Rhaknar

Problem was that I fell in the hole and was way too little health, and I saw that door and thought to run away from them, but suprise Ornfex was there and the frogs killed her.... Welp, I won't be getting any boss weapon now...

There is 2 boss weapon vendors actually. But yeah she's the main one. Sucks...that's Dark Souls for you lol :/

LeonSPBR

There is 2 boss weapon vendors actually. But yeah she's the main one. Sucks...that's Dark Souls for you lol :/

I know the first one, and I done deals with him, but the one she offers is way better.. oh well time to keep going, need to beat the game and then the DLC.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
started the first DLC and it feels like the devs decided to just be assholes with these enemies

I kinda like it

Sullichin

I love the Greataxe in PVP. Hundreds of hours in this game and I always go back to STR. Should probably invest in some VIT so I don't have to be naked and might add some pyromancy into the mix as I level.

The new Iron Keep gave me a really hard time. I only have the stats to 2H the GA so I'm not using a shield, and I found dodging the Allone Knights to be wayyy harder than I remembered. They also gang up on you and seem to appear out of nowhere. Smelter was the least of my worries there.

Rhaknar

started the first DLC and it feels like the devs decided to just be assholes with these enemies

I kinda like it

I kinda wanna do it on my tank to see the difference, it feels they only wanted to be assholes towards casters.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Yea the first DLC is tough so far. I've been using a battlemage. My magic has been so ineffective. Hopefully my dex/hex(or faith, haven't decided) build in NG+ can handle it better. Or I might not even tackle these areas lol

Carl7

So far I'm enjoying:

-Much better dialogs.
- Pursuer actually pursuits you now.
-The new enemy placement is not cheap as some people were saying, it's in fact hard where it must be hard. For example, in DSII vanilla it was super easy to get to the Dragon slayer very early on the game, not anymore.
-More secrets and hidden doors
- The game is much more rewarding now, you beat the pursuer, go to Bastille and the dull ember is right there. You beat the Sentinels and the room has like 4 hidden doors.

Also the matchmaking is as good as ever, the pc version has summons signs everywhere and i have already been invaded twice in about 1 hour!

Rhaknar

well thats 98k souls gone in dlc 2 >_>

thankfully I dont really care about souls anymore at my lvl. still sucks tho :p

really need to go buy more poison arrows

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
EDIT: I should F5 more often. :(
Does leveling go even faster then before? Lvl85 with just one Great Soul. Crazy stuff.

CrovaxPSO

Beat the game and chose the new ending. I like it a lot more than the original ending, which I thought was kind of bland. I already really liked Dark Souls II, but I like it even more with the different changes/additions. I didn't do any of the DLC yet, I assume it's fine to start that stuff after the credits. Haven't played any of the DLC before so this should be fun.

I finished the dame on ps3 with a melee buil, +5 lightening bastard sword.

Even if they nerfed lightening is it still a good idea/weapon ?

Can other "sword weapon" build do you think is comparable ?

Many thanks !

NEO0MJ

Same, it has me excited that we will be getting more great FromSoft games because of it, with both teams being of an amazing quality. Been going through the DLC now and it's just making me even more excited for what this team can do. Give them more time this time too N/B!

I hope they take a break from Souls and get back to making mecha games.

Rhaknar

man you get a lot of soul vessels in the dlcs. I had 6 now, might aswell use one and try that non-hex mage build, if I dont like it can just go back to hexes

Sullichin

Just got a titanite slab from winning a bell keeper invasion. It wasn't the rank up reward either, I already got that, just the loot after a match. I think that's the first time that's happened for me.
EDIT: holy crap, two in a row

First time playing the game, just found the first DLC area, should i continue on w/ the main game or tackle the DLC area?

I believe the DLC area scales w/ my soul memory, correct?

Mogwai

Just got a titanite slab from winning a bell keeper invasion. It wasn't the rank up reward either, I already got that, just the loot after a match. I think that's the first time that's happened for me.
EDIT: holy crap, two in a row
Slabs are not rare in DS2. Just in case you thought it was similar to DS1.

Bloodborne effect. I'm experiencing it too.

I don't know. I completed Bloodborne and now I'm trying the dual wield thing in DkS2, but it's not easy.

Perhaps two handing would be easier.

Regardless, there's less stamina to go around in DkS2 and lack of a regain system means you can't take any hits (and you will). Playing aggressively is definitely harder here.

So i guess im a noob.

Had this game since tuesday.

I'm a knight
Got to grips with the basic aspect of combat but i've been stuck on the huge knights in the castle like arena right at the start. (At least 6 hours yesterday going back and forth) I've leveled up a few time (Strengh and HP) But i don't get what/ where i'm meant to be going.
Plus im the only person out of my friends that will play a game like this so i'm on my own (without GAF obv)
Should i buy a walkthrough or something?

Mogwai

So i guess im a noob.

I'm a knight
Got to grips with the basic aspect of combat but i've been stuck on the huge knights in the castle like arena right at the start. (At least 6 hours yesterday going back and forth) I've leveled up a few time (Strengh and HP) But i don't get what/ where i'm meant to be going.
Plus im the only person out of my friends that will play a game like this so i'm on my own (without GAF obv)
Buy a guide?

Well, I can recommend you Google :D

flowsnake

So i guess im a noob.

I'm a knight

There's another area you can go to instead that's easier. Try exploring everywhere you can from Majula.

Sorry if alot of people have asked this but i currently own dark souls 2 an NO DLC and i have two options to buy for the upgrade. A £30 option and a £20 option. If i buy the £20 option will i get the DX9 version, or the DX11 version.

I tried looking at the pic in the OP but i wasn't sure if the re-purchase option meant with or without DLC.

Rhaknar

DLC 2: yeah fuck that
Fume Knight
. more power to you Souls experts that can solo bosses like that one but I just cba. My spells did FUCK ALL to him and he has a ton of health. glad I cooped it.

the zone itself is amazing, and I still need to do
iron passage
also

Sorry if alot of people have asked this but i currently own dark souls 2 an NO DLC and i have two options to buy for the upgrade. A £30 option and a £20 option. If i buy the £20 option will i get the DX9 version, or the DX11 version.

I tried looking at the pic in the OP but i wasn't sure if the re-purchase option meant with or without DLC.

30 is full price (I assume so in pounds), 20 should be the upgrade for people that own Dark Souls 2 but no dlc like you. it gives you the dx11 and all the dlc

edit: wait how does the dark covenant dungeons work? I died and now I cant access it anymore?

sobaka770

Banned
So i guess im a noob.

I'm a knight

Is this your first Dark Souls game?

In this case, there's no shame in getting a guide, or getting some minor help to understand where to go first. I finished DS1 with minor walkthrough help, and, in retrospective, in the beginning if you struggle a lot, it's better to go through the first one-two zones with a guide since tutorial is lacking a bit.

In your specific case, the Tower of Flame knights are tough because it's not the first zone where you are supposed to go (although they are certainly doable). Talk to the people in Majula, pay attention to their advice, always speak to them until they run out of dialogue.
Exhaust all the dialogue, especially with the guy near the lighthouse.

Sullichin

DLC 2: yeah fuck that
Fume Knight
. more power to you Souls experts that can solo bosses like that one but I just cba. My spells did FUCK ALL to him and he has a ton of health. glad I cooped it.

the zone itself is amazing, and I still need to do
iron passage
also

30 is full price (I assume so in pounds), 20 should be the upgrade for people that own Dark Souls 2 but no dlc like you. it gives you the dx11 and all the dlc

edit: wait how does the dark covenant dungeons work? I died and now I cant access it anymore?
You need to offer an effigy each time until you beat the final boss in the third one. Then you can enter them freely but by then there's not much point

Rhaknar

You need to offer an effigy each time until you beat the final boss in the third one. Then you can enter them freely but by then there's not much point

ugh...I went in the shaded woods one first, narrow walkways all over the place, and then the first enemy I meet is a havel guy and I barely have room to cast spells or dodge >_>

Ayt

Banned
So i guess im a noob.

I'm a knight

Search along the water by the bonfire in Majula for a different path.

I also wouldn't recommend a guide. A huge part of the experience is in exploring the world yourself. If you get stuck or don't understand a game mechanic, ask here or google for it. I'd definitely avoid the walk throughs that are out there.

Zocano

Guys guys guys GUYS

I want to make a Greatsword (the weapon) PVP build, halp

Greatsword + buff of your choice. I think Crystal Magic Weapon is your best bet but you should ask others on that?

Roll
R1
Swim in the blood of your victims.

I like to go up to 40 STR but that's up to you.
Magic and Faith for whatever you want to use as your buffing (since the damage doesn't scale-- and the only one that did got super nerfed because of the fact that it did).

Probably just have minimum Vitality for the greatsword and whatever simple fashion souls-ing you want. Could go naked for true Faraam-bro-mode.

Most people I see have at least 2000 HP (I forget how much Vigor that is) but the Life Ring + 3 will help you a lot with that as well.

The rest should probably be stamina.

Rhaknar

lol
blue smelter demon
takes 46 dmg from soul geyser haha. yeah im done with this game. Im actually feeling burned out the last couple of days, and this super anti-magic bullshit in the DLC is just baffling and completely ruining the game for me right now. this is NOT how you balance magic From

sure I could respec, but that defeats the whole purpose of this character, I already have a melee guy. Maybe ill come back to it one day, but for now I think thats it. 2 chars up to the end (except all of the dlc) when I had already finished vanilla isnt too bad I guess

edit: wait thats stupid I should at least check out the third dlc, I mean technically I did finish the second dlc, I got the crown, that other path seems optional. Still super salty about the anti magic shit tho (and I went back to hexes, hated sorceries...wasted a bunch of twinkling upgrading a sorcery catalist too lol)

FUCK THAT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME
at the start of the third DLC

Mogwai

lol
blue smelter demon
takes 46 dmg from soul geyser haha. yeah im done with this game. Im actually feeling burned out the last couple of days, and this super anti-magic bullshit in the DLC is just baffling and completely ruining the game for me right now. this is NOT how you balance magic From

sure I could respec, but that defeats the whole purpose of this character, I already have a melee guy. Maybe ill come back to it one day, but for now I think thats it. 2 chars up to the end (except all of the dlc) when I had already finished vanilla isnt too bad I guess
I agree 100% with this. FromSoft littered the game with Soul Vessels because the game balance is utter crap (and because there are so many stats that it's impossible to not fuck up your build unless you use a guide). When you have to respec for a boss battle, that's bad game design. Also, it defeats the purpose of making more than one characters.

That's also why I'm happy that regular spells aren't available to players in Bloodborne. When the developers can't make up their minds whether magic is cheap or not, leave it out.

Top Bottom