• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Neoweee

lol
blue smelter demon
takes 46 dmg from soul geyser haha. yeah im done with this game. Im actually feeling burned out the last couple of days, and this super anti-magic bullshit in the DLC is just baffling and completely ruining the game for me right now. this is NOT how you balance magic From

sure I could respec, but that defeats the whole purpose of this character, I already have a melee guy. Maybe ill come back to it one day, but for now I think thats it. 2 chars up to the end (except all of the dlc) when I had already finished vanilla isnt too bad I guess

edit: wait thats stupid I should at least check out the third dlc, I mean technically I did finish the second dlc, I got the crown, that other path seems optional. Still super salty about the anti magic shit tho (and I went back to hexes, hated sorceries...wasted a bunch of twinkling upgrading a sorcery catalist too lol)

FUCK THAT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME
at the start of the third DLC

He is one of the six super bosses, there only for extra challenge. Even as an Int build you have access to one of his weaknesses.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He is one of the six super bosses, there only for extra challenge. Even as an Int build you have access to one of his weaknesses.

who are the six super bosses and what is his weekness as a caster then? just curious, ill probably not be arsed with it, but would like to know

Jito

Banned
So i guess im a noob.

Had this game since tuesday.

I'm a knight
Got to grips with the basic aspect of combat but i've been stuck on the huge knights in the castle like arena right at the start. (At least 6 hours yesterday going back and forth) I've leveled up a few time (Strengh and HP) But i don't get what/ where i'm meant to be going.
Plus im the only person out of my friends that will play a game like this so i'm on my own (without GAF obv)
Should i buy a walkthrough or something?

Don't use a walk through unless you're insanely stuck, although it just sounds like you've not explored Majula properly and you're in the wrong area. Go back and check the town out properly!

Skatterd

DLC 2: yeah fuck that
Fume Knight
. more power to you Souls experts that can solo bosses like that one but I just cba. My spells did FUCK ALL to him and he has a ton of health. glad I cooped it.

Honestly I find him WAYYYYY harder with summons.

Neoweee

who are the six super bosses and what is his weekness as a caster then? just curious, ill probably not be arsed with it, but would like to know

Ancient Dragon, Dark Lurker, Blue Smelter, Gank Squad, Double Cat, and to a lesser extent V, and now A as well. Each can be really hard for certain builds and easier for others, and that is okay for optional bosses, IMO.

Blue Smelter is weak against poison pyromancy, and dark element in general.

Dimmle

I'm not sure why I never bothered with them before, but I'm finding the small white soapstone loop to be an intriguing way to break up monotony in difficult areas. My Shrine of Amana progression has been chopped up into these discrete sequences:

1. progress as far as I can
2. die
3. place down soapstone
4. progress as far as I can
5. get summoned
6. fulfill duty, regain humanity
7. place down soapstone
8. progress as far as I can
...ad infinitum

It's a lot of fun and very gratifying from both a personal and altruistic perspective.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol cant kill
burnt ivory king
even with a full posse.

edit: aparently I was supposed to
find more of those knights that seal the portals
...welp I didnt >_>

Hey Dks2 GAF! Me and a friend coop-ed through Dark Souls 2 when it first came out, and are about to do it again with the ps4 version.

I'm probably going to run a faith build, and I was curious if their was a list of everything that was changed from DKS 2 vanilla to now. Is it worth worrying about, or should we go in blind?

Captcha

Does NG+2 add more of those red phantoms or did they tone it down a lot? I just blitzed through everything in NG+ and it was pretty easy, but I remember doing the DLC on PS3 and nearly rage quitting a couple times because of the added red phantoms on top of the regular mobs. I was on NG+3 if I recall, though.

lol
blue smelter demon
takes 46 dmg from soul geyser haha. yeah im done with this game. Im actually feeling burned out the last couple of days, and this super anti-magic bullshit in the DLC is just baffling and completely ruining the game for me right now. this is NOT how you balance magic From

The Blue Smelter Demon is highly resistant to magic. However he is vulnerable to Dark. Get some hexes and he should fall quickly to them.

Neoweee

lol
blue smelter demon

sure I could respec, but that defeats the whole purpose of this character, I already have a melee guy. Maybe ill come back to it one day, but for now I think thats it. 2 chars up to the end (except all of the dlc) when I had already finished vanilla isnt too bad I guess

You have access to multiple elements, and likely some great melee elemental damage. Even as a pure Faith build, I do a hell of a lot damage with a Club. Just because you're an Int build doesn't mean you are limited, no more than being a Strength build is limited to Blunt attacks or Dex limited to slashes. As Int, you have access to Sorcery, Fire, Poison, and some Dark, as well as whatever physical weapon you want to use-- there are some great weapons to enchant with low/negligible requirements.

I agree 100% with this. FromSoft littered the game with Soul Vessels because the game balance is utter crap (and because there are so many stats that it's impossible to not fuck up your build unless you use a guide). When you have to respec for a boss battle, that's bad game design. Also, it defeats the purpose of making more than one characters.

I disagree with this in multiple ways.

- There are no bosses you need to respec against. There might be extra difficulty, but any build gives you access to multiple damage types (physical or elemental). If anything, bosses tend to punish over-reliance on different defensive aspects (roll invuln, roll distance, poise, armor, blocking, stamina for dodging multiple rolls etc.) more than they punish builds over elemental resistances.
- This is the one "Souls" game where there aren't stats that are super-niche or outright worthless. I never used a Soul Vessel until my fourth full playthrough, including CoC/all-boss/plat runs.
- Soul Vessels are in for a lot of reasons, and I strongly, vastly, immensely disagree with the lack of respecs in any game like this where weapons & gear have very high stat requirements. That too often tells players, "Yeah, you aren't using this during thing playthrough because you didn't know what your build was going to be when you entered the starting hub. Sorry!"

Crap stats and unforeseeable requirements have been a significant problem in the entire "series", and respecs are the best way to handle multiple issues with the stat system. I mean, how many players of BB divined that the only major Arcane/Bloodtinge weapons wouldn't show up until way later, or that the best Gun also had the highest Strength requirement? Anybody?

Carl7

I'm not sure why I never bothered with them before, but I'm finding the small white soapstone loop to be an intriguing way to break up monotony in difficult areas. My Shrine of Amana progression has been chopped up into these discrete sequences:

1. progress as far as I can
2. die
3. place down soapstone
4. progress as far as I can
5. get summoned
6. fulfill duty, regain humanity
7. place down soapstone
8. progress as far as I can
...ad infinitum

It's a lot of fun and very gratifying from both a personal and altruistic perspective.

That works with bell covenant too.

Rhaknar

third DLC is gigantic. Im actually following a youtube guide now, you can miss SO MUCH of it if you critical path, im hunting the other knights now, I only had the 1 for the boss and...yeah...

Crap stats and unforeseeable requirements have been a significant problem in the entire "series", and respecs are the best way to handle multiple issues with the stat system. I mean, how many players of BB divined that the only major Arcane/Bloodtinge weapons wouldn't show up until way later, or that the best Gun also had the highest Strength requirement? Anybody?

IIRC, Arcane buffs item damage, increases item drops, and scales with the cane/saw cleaver. Bloodtinge is usable right from the get-go, and you get access to the flamethrower right before BSB. Neither of those stats are gimped from the beginning either.

Neoweee

IIRC, Arcane buffs item damage, increases item drops, and scales with the cane/saw cleaver. Bloodtinge is usable right from the get-go, and you get access to the flamethrower right before BSB. Neither of those stats are gimped from the beginning either.

The effects are pretty modest for consumables, the "letter" it shows on weapons is (on most) only for when the weapon is enchanted, bloodtinge is still a fringe use that almost no new players are going to use to any meaningful effect, scaling on the flamethrower is shit (it is an awesome weapon, but all you need is the minimum, and the utility falls off rapidly, even if you are pumping arcane), and the item drop rate is a joke as the things that drop are already around ~100% drop rate anyways, and it doesn't increase the # dropped. Any new player is VASTLY better off treating the game as only having Vit, their main damage stat, and sometimes Endurance.

They aren't near-worthless stats like Resistance or Luck were, but they are very niche, super subtle, and genuinely bad ideas for anyone playing the game the first time or aiming to kill some of the harder bosses.

Nere

Finished the whole game plus the 3 DLC on to new game plus soon. I have played all souls games (still at the start of Bloodborne though) and I have to say this one is my favourite I think. The game is just so huge with so many different areas compared to the other souls games there is just so much to do in this game. The 3 DLC are just so good and different from each other. I really think this game is criminally underrated and hated from so many souls fans unfairly while they ignore the issues of Dark Souls (later half game way worse than the first half mainly).

Kazuhira

Well,being left-handed in this game is bullshit...i can't believe i never tried it before.
Fighting left-handed gives you a damage reduction,doesn't allow you to backstab,parry or apply resins.
I hope they fix that in DS3.

Anung

Un Rama
Made a lot of headway today. Got the final 2 great souls. The Iron keep was such a pain with all the invasions and lava pits. I've open 2 of the 3 DLC paths as well so I'll do them at some point.

Dimmle

Well,being left-handed in this game is bullshit...i can't believe i never tried it before.
Fighting left-handed gives you a damage reduction,doesn't allow you to backstab,parry or apply resins.
I hope they fix that in DS3.
Yeah, I was excited to finally be able to play with my handedness in vanilla until realizing that half of the verb set was restricted.

Heysoos

Can you kill the
giant gas spewing bug
that's in the gutter? I hate this area and would rather not die to something stupid since the bonfire was ways back.

Gbraga

Greatsword + buff of your choice. I think Crystal Magic Weapon is your best bet but you should ask others on that?

Roll
R1
Swim in the blood of your victims.

I like to go up to 40 STR but that's up to you.
Magic and Faith for whatever you want to use as your buffing (since the damage doesn't scale-- and the only one that did got super nerfed because of the fact that it did).

Probably just have minimum Vitality for the greatsword and whatever simple fashion souls-ing you want. Could go naked for true Faraam-bro-mode.

Most people I see have at least 2000 HP (I forget how much Vigor that is) but the Life Ring + 3 will help you a lot with that as well.

The rest should probably be stamina.

Thank you!

Novocaine

Holy fuck why is this 69.99?

Because it's worth it.

How far am I from the next one from that enemy? I kind of don't want to die this far in.

The 2nd bonfire is somewhat hidden, you'll probably only find it if you're searching really hard. Without spoiling too much you're super close if you are near the gas spewing bug though.

Fought and beat the Darklurker yesterday for the first time. I never did it on my PS3 copy. Pretty fun fight, get's hectic. Starting the DLC areas now, i forgot how awesome Sunken King was, except for those cunt ghost knights.

Heysoos

Because it's worth it.

The 2nd bonfire is somewhat hidden, you'll probably only find it if you're searching really hard. Without spoiling too much you're super close if you are near the gas spewing bug though.

Fought and beat the Darklurker yesterday for the first time. I never did it on my PS3 copy. Pretty fun fight, get's hectic. Starting the DLC areas now, i forgot how awesome Sunken King was, except for those cunt ghost knights.

If I seemingly made it to the ground floor, did I miss it?

edit: nvm this is not the bottom

edit2: found it! just gotta figure out how to get to it now

got it! Woo

Does NG+2 add more of those red phantoms or did they tone it down a lot? I just blitzed through everything in NG+ and it was pretty easy, but I remember doing the DLC on PS3 and nearly rage quitting a couple times because of the added red phantoms on top of the regular mobs. I was on NG+3 if I recall, though.

NG++ is identical to NG+ as far as enemy placements, unless I missed something.

neoism

I got the platinum in Bloodborne and then instantly popped this game in. Created my character (a Knight) and got to Marjula.

Since Bloodborne was my first Souls game, is there anything I should know before I start getting into the game?

I'm loving BB but this is still my fav game in the series... the only thing I like better was the faster fighting in BB..
This game has more of everything....
MORE

Armor
Weapons
items
locations
CO-OP and PVP are waaaaaaaaaaayyy better.. the bell system is NOT good at all.
the story and lore is better..
this game gives the player WAAY more power/control the way the game is played
YOU can respec <3 one of my favorite things in the game, I'm a one character player.. I've beat it 4 times on one character on PC with over 250 hours LVL280 SM55mil
you can control enemy spawns <3
you can fight boss as much as you want in one play-through <3
BB for me is the easiest in the series... this game is a little harder but not that hard.
THE DLC is fucking insanely AWESOME.

now it does have ify hit boxes sometimes.. BB did a great job with this.. and even though the level design didnt bother be at all it doesn't really do the short-cut thang like in BB and DS1 and DemS. but it has wonderful variety in locals.
I'm biased though my favs go as follow
DS2>>BB>Ds1>>>>DemS.
with out a doubt my GOTY 2014.. I will definitely get this on PS4 later down the road.. but without being about to use my save from my DX9 version plus no mods... I'll skip getting it on steam.

Rhaknar

well the
burnt iron king with the 4 knights helping us
sure is a different story >_>

edit: so is that it? no big climax to the dlcs? I have the 3 crowns, anything to do with them?

Heysoos

Ah fuck. I think I may have fucked up regarding Lucatiel.

I didn't talk to her or summon her for the Rotten fight. Am I fucked? I had not summoned her for the fight at No Man's Wharf either.

Rhaknar

Take them to a certain king.

ah I thought about that. what if he was already dead (as he probably would be in vanilla when the dlc came out)? unless you dont mean
vendrick
?

edit: nvm hes dead lol. he IS easy, just stayed on his back/left side the whole time and he couldnt hit me, used my sword isntead of trying to use spells

Skatterd

Just strolled through Shrine of Amana like I owned the place.
I can barely move and dodge the spells there now. Not the auto lock on hell of vanilla. I was worried they'd turn the difficulty up a notch.

Overall I think except for early-game, most areas are much easier. I prefer the new placements more though, they seem to flow better and make the world feel more alive (love certain doors being guarded and the trees of giants being attacked, etc)

i finished so much today.

did 20 kills for the bell cov.
20 for sunbros.
cleared iron keep. i don't think it's harder than vanilla. i died when i suddenly got 3 katana guys beside me. the other death was thanks to a turtle guy who knocked me into the lava, lol. oh yea some invader spirit totally cheesed me too. smelter is still fun.
got all nps in majula now.

Rhaknar

and finished! guess I didnt give rage quit this afternoon afterall lol. oh souls games...

Game is BY FAR the hardest in the series imo, and I have no problem admiting that I would never kill many of these bosses without coop, especially as a mage.

Im not sure what I missed, I know there is a
2 tiger boss in the snow place
, I didnt do that. And I didnt do
Darklurker
. Or
Ancient Dragon
. But those are all so removed from the narrative that I struggle to care tbh. I did kill the
blue smelter, sir alonne, fime knight, those 3 fuckers in the cave, vendrick and the new last boss

Ancient Dragon,
theres no reason at all to attack him, dude is a bro >_>

Anyway, game probably stands as my favorite in the series (what can I say), and this new version is better imo. The DLC areas are amazing but way too hard, but I guess thats what actual good souls players want so I wont bitch about it :D

oh and hey From, you can take your unskipable credits and you can shove them >_>

Top Bottom