• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

HaleStorm

Oh I didn't know those things didn't respawn. I thought they did. That would make it a lot better. They funny thing about that boss is that I had no problem beating it, but the first time I got it down to like 3% hp, fucked around and tried to heal and got smoked. I just started laughing at my stupidity.

The statues seem to be considered environment, and only respawn when you die.

The boss just annoyed the hell out of me the first couple of times I fought it. Cleaver lands a foot from your cape? Flattened. Range on the enrage mode smoke shit? double what you can see. Roll past the knife, but clip his body in his charge attack, full damage.

Strangely, I took out the Iron king second try without having to heal, smelter knight on my 2nd try with some healing, so I seem to be ok on bosses that other people seem to take issue with. (shit, I even killed the snake woman without draining the poison... that sucked. it sucked even more when I found out that it could be drained.)

Santiako

Trophy question about a spell
great Chaos Fireball
You can purchase this in NG++ upon entering Drangleic Castle from Chancellor Wellager. Or you can reach rank 3 in the Brotherhood of Blood which requires 500+ PvP wins.

So i cant buy anything from this dude,i used a bonefire ascetic to make it ng+++ ( already was on ng+) but still nothing showed up

what do i do now

You can't do it via ascetics, you need to actually be in ng++.

Kovet

Hey so im at the drangleic castle.

im stuck at this one spot, i just killed
The two Dragonriders
and i cant seem to progress. there is a locked door by a lift and i cant get the lift to trigger. it says online to
kill stone soldiers in a room with a stone golem
but none of them come to life. what do i do?

idonteven

The two Dragonriders
and i cant seem to progress. there is a locked door by a lift and i cant get the lift to trigger. it says online to

lure the 2 dudes in the next room into the room with the golems

edit:sorry for double post

Santiako

The two Dragonriders
Drag the manikins from the next room to the golem.

Kazuhira

The two Dragonriders

Lure one of those mannequins and kill it near the golem.
That guide must be for the vanilla version.

BizzyBum

I didn't realize how much I played the original version on the PS3. I just got to
Iron Keep
and this is where I stopped playing the old version.

I'm approaching the end of the game and am thinking of finally trying the DLC's. I went for a very int focused build with the Moonlight Great Sword and Staff of Wisdom. I'm wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to approach the DLC's as I've heard that most enemies and bosses have very high magic resistance.

Should I completely respec or will I go for enchantment infusion on my weapons since it changes damage to physical? I'm not sure how effective that is though because I've honestly never messed around with infusions that much.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think I've heard that I should save the DLC for the end of the game, but I just wanted to double check that this is the case since I came across the entrance to the first DLC yesterday. I don't have the key yet so obviously I can't access it, but I just want to know when I should plan to tackle it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think I've heard that I should save the DLC for the end of the game, but I just wanted to double check that this is the case since I came across the entrance to the first DLC yesterday. I don't have the key yet so obviously I can't access it, but I just want to know when I should plan to tackle it.

the jump in difficulty in the DLC is huge, be warned

I think once you level up and pass certain soul memory thresholds it becomes harder to find people in your level range to summon. When I had just started the game and was going through Heide's Tower I could summon and be summoned almost instantaneously. Yesterday at level 112 in Iron Keep I was lucky to find a single summon sign at the Smelter and King fights.

Is this why people dislike Soul Memory so much? I can see this becoming annoying if you enter a Soul Memory band that just doesn't have very many people for you to play with.
It doesn't have anything to do with your level - you could be SL1 and summon someone SL400. However if you're just playing through the game without a thought to capping soul memory then certainly SL112 might mean you have a relatively high soul memory for the Iron Keep. Other than it being a pvp hotspot it's kind of an early-ish mid-game area so SL112 could mean you have a relatively high soul memory.

People disliked SM for the same reason though - because it means matchmaking is completely independent of SL - again meaning you could you be SL1 and be invaded by someone SL400. You literally have no chance at all in that situation even if it is extreme in it's example.

I'm approaching the end of the game and am thinking of finally trying the DLC's. I went for a very int focused build with the Moonlight Great Sword and Staff of Wisdom. I'm wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to approach the DLC's as I've heard that most enemies and bosses have very high magic resistance.

Should I completely respec or will I go for enchantment infusion on my weapons since it changes damage to physical? I'm not sure how effective that is though because I've honestly never messed around with infusions that much.
Respec if you want but it's not necessary. All the DLC does have high non-physical resistance from what I remember but that doesn't mean it's impossible for a magic user. I'm doing the DLC areas @ SL1 at the moment and it's not so much different - Get a fully upgraded physical damage only weapon and you're good to go, even if your crystal magic weapon buff doesn't do a ton of damage it's still better than no buff at all.

Dimmle

I liked it too, atmosphere there was crazy and the monsters scared the fuck outta me the first time I saw it.

It makes a hell of an impression. I think it's best that it doesn't wear out its welcome. And considering its small size, it hides a surprising amount of secrets.

Apparently some bitter gaffers missed the hidden bonfire.

Nere

Anyone else has gotten an invasion from an actual player and not an npc? I am playing close to 70 hours and haven't gotten a single invasion =(

Audioboxer

What the hell did they do to the Iron Keep?? This is absolutely ridiculous.

I died there a lot, lol.

I went through DS1 as a heavy strength + Faith build. Want to go through this as Dex + Magic. Picked starting class of swordsman since it fit. Also Dex lets me use whips occasionally, even though I hear they aren't great.

Really not used to this dual wielding so far. Give me tips please?

Whips are only really good against flesh based enemies, and in PVP.

Dual wielding starts out rough as hell. I focussed on ADP a fair bit early on to get agility up for rolling. Went with the falchion/rapier early on. Pokes of the rapier can be helpful to maintain distance.

To power stance two weapons you need 1.5x the strength requirement and dexterity requirement. Power stancing two falchions doesn't need that high a stat investment and they are good. I went with a falchion in left hand and rapier in right.

I killed the first DLC boss before work today, now onto the shrine of amana! I do think the first DLC was well designed. Died quite a lot taking it on this early, but it was fun.

Ragnaroz

Finished the game with my first character and played a bit of NG+ before I got bored of him and decided to make a bit more specialized char. The first one was a jack of all trades and he was actually doing quite well damage-wise because I was abusing the OP-ness of hexes and dark weapons.

So, for the second character I decided to challenge myself by never ever using a shield. I know it'll make some of the bosses stupidly hard, but I'll pull through. Decided to go for Sorcery this time and the crows actually gave me the Channeler's Trident for my starting gift. With that and Fire Longsword I'm currently breezing through the game. Last Giant, Pursuer, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer, Ruin Sentinels and Belfry Gargoyles all died on the first try. The only fight I used an NPC on was the Gargoyle fight because I knew I couldn't do a lot of damage to them if I don't have someone to distract at least one while I cast my spells. Also decided to trade 4 of the souls to Straid early on even though I didn't need any of the weapons to get his set. Looking sick right now. :D

W92w1Ps.jpg

Beaulieu

Anyone else has gotten an invasion from an actual player and not an npc? I am playing close to 70 hours and haven't gotten a single invasion =(

happens to me all the time playing around with convenants tbh.
what's your convenent ? might be related...

Nere

happens to me all the time playing around with convenants tbh.
what's your convenent ? might be related...

Yeah it might be the problem I have no covenant.........:D

Will join Pilgrims of the Dark soon though so I can fight the Darklurker my last remaining boss before ng+ but the Pilgrims won't increase my invasions right? so I don't think its a covenant issue.

I'm amused at how many people are thrown off by the change in Drangleic castle with
luring the manikins into the room rather than the statues coming alive
. It's a fairly simple puzzle, but because it's a fundamental change from vanilla everybody thinks the game is broken or something. Nice work, From.

I'm amused at how many people are thrown off by the change in Drangleic castle with
. It's a fairly simple puzzle, but because it's a fundamental change from vanilla everybody thinks the game is broken or something. Nice work, From.

'puzzles' shouldn't have to be reset via bonfire. its stupid...

Dimmle

'puzzles' shouldn't have to be reset via bonfire. its stupid...

The choice to create a puzzle with the manikins and subvert expectations for previous players strikes me as more interesting than the vanilla room but this is a valid point: all I could do was cringe as the guy I was assisting in coop immediately slew both manikins and proceeded to wander around aimlessly. I had to abandon him after it got too painful to watch.

its akin to a small child taking your keys and telling you he hid them in the house. only to tell you an hour later that he threw them in the yard out the window. the room is full of stone statues that always have some that come to life and activate the big statue. it wouldn't be a big deal if you didn't have to reset the enemies at the bonfire but the fact that you do makes it stupid and like that guy said ruins summons in that area unless you spoil the trick for your host

Frigid Outskirts is the worst area in the souls series. Period.

I had a notion of being that way, but after 2 hours of having to deal with the same shit to reach a yet-another duo boss which is another big fuck you to casters it was set in stone. I could probably have done it if I could summon real players but I'm stuck with the useless NPC summons.

Well, time for some fashion souls!

Gutter really freaked me out when I found it. Seeing those lights far off in the distance, the moving walls, and the heart beat. I was terrified and didn't want to do that area at first hah. Then it was nothing....at least with a torch equipped.

I didn't think The Gutter was that bad. But Black Gulch is still the worst area in the game, IMO. It's just really not fun at all.

Anung

Un Rama
Started a secondary character. My main character is level 150 and is a strength build. My secondary is level 70 now and uses magic. Never used a magic character in a Souls game before as I usually stick swords. Really interesting change although having healing spells and the like has made everything trivial.

Neoweee

I'd say:

- Heide's approach to the OD
- Aerie
- Aldia's
- The part right near the 2nd bonfire of Amana (though most of the zone falls between the launch and patched version of the original game)
- That really douchy room in D. Castle

... are harder than the original.

Started a secondary character. My main character is level 150 and is a strength build. My secondary is level 70 now and uses magic. Never used a magic character in a Souls game before as I usually stick swords. Really interesting change although having healing spells and the like has made everything trivial.

Knowing the game matters a ton, and likely more, for making the game feel trivial. I recommend doing Company of Champions for replays to help mitigate that.

Ragnaroz

I love the fact that the Ogre in the FoFG respawns. 1000 souls and he has a solid chance to drop Titanite Shards or Souls of the Proud Knight. Great spot to jump start a character, especially if you have some offensive spells.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Frigid Outskirts is the worst area in the souls series. Period.

I had a notion of being that way, but after 2 hours of having to deal with the same shit to reach a yet-another duo boss which is another big fuck you to casters it was set in stone. I could probably have done it if I could summon real players but I'm stuck with the useless NPC summons.

I love the outskirts; there's really no area that's like it in any other game in the series. I co-op there a ton, guiding people through the area like a grossly incandescent beacon in the fog of blinding snow.

Boss is mighty weaksauce, though. If you're stuck with only NPC summons it actually seems to work better to summon only one of them, since then you get the aggro split of having a companion but you don't have the massive boss boost that you get from having 3 of them. You still get a meat shield without giving up most of your personal DPS output just for the sake of having a full party. Of the three available NPC summons
Vengarl
seems to be the best for taking up the solo tank role.

So I'm at the point right after getting the
King's Ring
. Should I do the DLC now or after the end of the normal game?

I don't think it really matters since you just continue playing after the credits roll. The way you start NG+ is by activating it in the Majula bon fire, not by completing the boss or anything like that.

Personally I went through the original game area's first, and then went to DLC. Reason being is that the DLC areas are pretty damn tough in comparison, so I had a higher soul level by the point I went to the DLC. Only completed Ivory King DLC so far, and doing the other two this week (since their keys are tricky to find, unlike the Ivory King key). I'm still heading back into the main areas of the game too as there has been a lot of things I missed originally that I want to get.

thanks for the update man.

contributing to the thread :
I just killed the big rat, anyone could tell me how far I am to end game and to DLC access ? This game seems so huge ! I love it.

Rat King? Just pulling a number of my ass, I'd say you're 70-80% of the way to the end or so, depending on the optional shit you want to do as well of course.

As for DLC access, technically you can access it whenever you want. If you've lit 4 primal bonfires, then you can access them all now if you have the appropriate keys. One of them is pretty much on the golden path, and will be easy to find. The other two keys are a trickier to find.

Korosenai

You can't. You have to progress to NG++. I just finished up all the achievements yesterday and I found a fairly quick way to get to him.

1. Head to the Forest of Fallen Giant to buy a Fragrant Branch of Yore and the key to the Blacksmith shop (for repairs etc.).
  2. Head to Black Gulch through the well in Majula, picking up another Branch of Yore at the end of the Gutter along the way.
  3. Use one of the Branches to open the second bonfire beside The Rotton boss.
  4. Farm The Rotten with Bonfire Ascetics until you reach 3 million Soul Memory (for that playthrough- so if you start NG++ at 3mil, for the Shrine of Winter to open your SM will need to say at least 6 million when you stand in front of it).
  5. Head to Dranleic Castle using your second Branch to unpretify Rosabeth of Melfia.
This is what I'm going to do for my ng++ to just get the achievements and be done with this game for now. Currently at the Shrine of Amana on ng+.

Kama_1082

Banned
thanks for the update man.

contributing to the thread :
I just killed the big rat, anyone could tell me how far I am to end game and to DLC access ? This game seems so huge ! I love it.
Anytime, I'll be at your service.

Contributing to the thread:

Been waiting all weekend to start and finally have a chance with no will to play. :(

Surprised at how well they addressed some of the complaints I had.

My two biggest ones were how irritating it was to clear to vendrick and the ancient dragon (on repeated boss attempts). They pretty much solved both of those in a clever way. It wasn't hard it was just extremely tedious to clear through the trash on the way to the boss fights, especially ancient dragon, given how long it takes to walk to him and how long the boss battle is.

Novocaine

Started a new guy to try out dex. I got Vitality and Endurance to 20, and now I'm pumping it all into Agility. I picked up a Uchigatana and I'm liking it so far. The durability is awful though so I'm complimenting it with a Winged Spear until I can get a sword from one of the Alonne knights. Going to avoid using shields except for the Pursuer mini bosses I'm allowing myself to use the target shield so I can get them dead without stress (The Pursuer is my bane).

Top Bottom