• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Audioboxer

Soo many first timers still getting slayed by the old iron king lol (cutscene on entrance and insta death). At least first timers on DS2 PS4. Obviously can't tell if they played the ps3 version.

I'm running a fist only character at the moment and I'm only at 95 agility, still having plenty fun rolling around attacks and haven't had any trouble dodging attacks. I'll still get it to 100 just to be sure though but it's not been a painful experience.

Well, from 95 to 100 there's no much difference (1 or 2 more iframes at max) but the road until a decent amount of AGI was really painful in my case. I started dying a lot less when I reached that point.

ike_

I'm running a fist only character at the moment and I'm only at 95 agility, still having plenty fun rolling around attacks and haven't had any trouble dodging attacks. I'll still get it to 100 just to be sure though but it's not been a painful experience.

95 AGI is usually where I'm content to be for the majority of the game.

Maybe worth mentioning you get AGI from attunement too. So if you are a magic focused character you don't need to necessarily pump ADP quite as much.

Aces&Eights

Well that is my main issue with the game so maybe I need to get a new controller.

Remember, too, that you cannot do a function until the animation is done for the current one. Sometimes, when I get swarmed and hit hard I'll roll out and then hit square for Eustus Flask. It won't do anything. It is not that the game is not registering, rather I hit it while I was still rolling. Can't do two things at once. So, if you are switching weapons and then try to hit R1 or L1 while your character is still doing the animation for changing out to a new weapon, your character will not swing. Add all these little times up and it can seem like the game is not responding correctly. It is. We are just impatient people when being mobbed lol

Dexterity early on is rough as hell. I nearly packed it in. Once you get 2/3rds of the way to 100 it starts to take shape.

ADP is essential if you aren't using a shield or a heavy weapon that stuns like mad. It's not press circle to win though. Takes timing, patience and learning of enemy moves to dodge like a pro. I'm getting there now.

The remixed main game has been pretty good for me so far. A few surprises. I've never played the DLC either and I think I'm about to start my first chunk after the Iron Lord. Something new there that wasn't in the main game.

I know from vanilla dark magic was OP as hell. I think it's toned down a bit, but still great for DPS. From what I've heard part of the remix was allowing everyone to get one of the best normal magic staves a lot earlier. It was previously locked out till near the end game.

If you go a high STR though I still think FTH magic is the most complimentary. Followed by Dark and then traditional magic is best focussed as caster only, maybe with a basic weapon to fall back on.

Hm, STR and FTH sound good. Faith if I recall does have some offensive based spells right? I think lighting attacks fall under faith stat right? I guess I could rock a shield until I get my agility to 100.

Hm, STR and FTH sound good. Faith if I recall does have some offensive based spells right? I think lighting attacks fall under faith stat right? I guess I could rock a shield until I get my agility to 100.

Yes, although it has mostly utility spells.

If you're confident in your parry skills you can use a buckler, although it won't work with all weapons and attacks.

But if you really want to avoid the turtle technique is an option

Audioboxer

Faith is lightning, yeah.

If you go with a shield or a strong 2 hander like the great sword you wont need agility as high as 100. Especially not if you roll with a shield. Your points are better off elsewhere if you're going to block or 2 hand a good stunning weapon.

When I said on the road to 100 I meant soul level above. 100 agility is a good stopping point for a shieldless character or dex though.

I'm not saying neglect agility but it's far more essential for a shieldless or dual wielding character.

Jito

Banned
Well, from 95 to 100 there's no much difference (1 or 2 more iframes at max) but the road until a decent amount of AGI was really painful in my case. I started dying a lot less when I reached that point.

Good to know there's no point of levelling over 100 then, thanks!

95 AGI is usually where I'm content to be for the majority of the game.

Maybe worth mentioning you get AGI from attunement too. So if you are a magic focused character you don't need to necessarily pump ADP quite as much.

I never knew that, I've been putting points into both on my mage class so I'll keep at attunement instead.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Agility

Agility is vital if you want to dodge, period.

Holy wax on a baby's smooth buttox that's a huge difference (just watched the youtube clip).

Damn shame they didn't explain this a bit better. You go from bullshit hits from questionable hitboxes to borderline god mode invincibility.

I'm actually excited to get into this game now. I've been doing the whole shield routine since Demon Souls. It's why Bloodborne was so refreshing to me since I can get away from being a turtle.

High Agility + 60 fps, I'm going to Trickster style Dante the fuck out of this game.

Yes, although it has mostly utility spells.

If you're confident in your parry skills you can use a buckler, although it won't work with all weapons and attacks.

But if you really want to avoid the turtle technique is an option

Yeah, I think parrying would be fine especially at 60 fps. But the whole reason I want to get rid of shield use is so I can start using weapons in two handed mode. The downside to using shields in my playthroughs of the souls games is that I was never able to utilize weapons readily in two handed mode. It always felt like I was missing out on half of the weapons move set.

Audioboxer

Good to know there's no point of levelling over 100 then, thanks!

I never knew that, I've been putting points into both on my mage class so I'll keep at attunement instead.

Yeah I should have mentioned that in my post above yours. Attunement puts up agility for magic/hex based characters as well. Slower than ADP, but still a little.

Also, does the I-frames in regards to rolling - did the developers properly correlate it to the increased framerate?

If it says agility 100 is about 13 frames of invincibility, in the PS4/XOne version that should now translate to 26 frames of invincibility right?

I ask this because I think somebody said weapon degradation happens faster because of the higher framerate and the devs didn't correct for this.

Hypron

If you want to do a shieldless run, you need AGI, no matter what. Once you reach 100 points is basically a gamechanging moment and truly a painful experience until you reach that point.

I managed to finish the game at SL1 (so without a shield since they're all useless at that level and the only good weapon needs to be two-handed) but yeah I agree, put some points in AGL, it's just not fun otherwise. You have so few invincibility frames at SL1 that you basically need to physically avoid attacks instead of phasing through them, which makes dodging really hard.

Also, does the I-frames in regards to rolling - did the developers properly correlate it to the increased framerate?

If it says agility 100 is about 13 frames of invincibility, in the PS4/XOne version that should now translate to 26 frames of invincibility right?

I ask this because I think somebody said weapon degradation happens faster because of the higher framerate and the devs didn't correct for this.

Yes. Most people use 30fps as the baseline when they say "X move has Y frames of invincibility". The game correctly accounts for higher framerates, so you'll be invincible for the same period of time.

CLEEK

I went STR+FTH build in SDII, as I hadn't put a single level into Faith in the previous two games. Found it a really powerful combo.

Start off focusing on mostly on STR to get it up to a level you can use whatever weapon you want, then focus more on FTH.

Once you get Lightning Spear - the miracle projectile attack - FTH has offensive power. Then once you are able to buff your weapon with Lightening, FTH improves both your main weapon and your projectile attacks.

Nere

Finally beat the Ancient dragon, what a pain in the ass for a melee character. I never managed to kill him back in the ps3 version although I didn't tried too much due to all those dragon knights raping you in the stairs constantly. The strategy I followed was I used Fume greatsword and was just hitting his toes 2 times then run back if he breathed fire I run hitted 2 times and run away again if he flew up I run as far as possible. Took like 5-6 min because I did so little damage to him but he finally died, then with 5 giant souls vendrick became piss easy:D

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I bought a copy of the ps4 version from gamestop and it came with no boxart. Where can I get a high res scan so I can print one out? Thanks!
(In before "buy a new copy")

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Iron Keep and man, you guys weren't kidding about how annoying that area is. It feels like those damn knights aggro from halfway across the map, and it's not unusual to find yourself ganged up on from multiple directions. Definitely had my most deaths in this area.

Anyway glad that's over! Thankfully it's a relatively short area.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
One shot Smelter Demon 2.0. I was just running through all the skeleton knights and casters because I didn't want to deal with their shit and didn't expect this guy to be beyond the fog gate. I almost shit my pants because I only had 2 estuses and didn't know if they changed his moveset at all. Had to use a lot of life gems to survive him.

BNhzWeM.jpg

Fume Knight, where are youuuuu?

Well, unlocked all the areas in just under 15 hours on my New game + playthrough, a cakewalk compared to the first playthrough. Also got my new favourite primary weapon and shield now. The Crypt Blacksword +10 looks fucking sexy, it's base damage is over 400 and it does an additional 150+ dark damage on top of that! I'm hitting all the bosses for 650-700 damage per swing! Moveset's unique too. Including a fast second vertical slice on the one handed weak attack, really caught out PVPers with that. Dragonkeeper greatshield +10 is great as well. Fully upgraded it has over 70% defense against EVERYTHING and 100% physical defense.

1DKO9Qi.jpg

Still got my red eye ring on for maintaining aggro in boss fights and co-op runs and the third dragon ring, and the Royal Soldier's Ring +2 to bring my equip load over 151, medium rolls with 3 large swords a greatbow, a healing chime, and a greatsheild all at once. Tank ahoy baby! Think I'm gonna work on Adaptability and get my agility up to 100 for more generous invincibility frames when rolling.

2AdEPT

Anyway, I've always rocked dexterity builds. This time around I'm thinking high strength and high magic. I've never been a magic/arcane user in any of the Souls/BB games. What's the best way to approach magic in Dark Souls 2? I know there are several forms of magic in this game, including Pyromancy, what's a good / fun magic build?

Hexing is the way to go in DS2..it was not a thing in DS1 so it was kind of on display and made OP at various times with ifferent patches. By far my favourite magic in any souls game is the dead again hex.

I also made somewhat of tutorial video on how to get started with hexes.

Finally beat the Ancient dragon, what a pain in the ass for a melee character. I never managed to kill him back in the ps3 version although I didn't tried too much due to all those dragon knights raping you in the stairs constantly. The strategy I followed was I used Fume greatsword and was just hitting his toes 2 times then run back if he breathed fire I run hitted 2 times and run away again if he flew up I run as far as possible. Took like 5-6 min because I did so little damage to him but he finally died, then with 5 giant souls vendrick became piss easy:D
Did you use RTSR? It's not that great in DS2, but it's better than not using it for that fight.

void666

Banned
Fashion Souls time.

RzIWArK.jpg

Killed fume knight and vendrik today. Never killed vendrik before.
Fume knight is not hard but i can't dodge his delayed sword swing. He hits me everytime.

addyb

So gaf I have a question or questions regarding late game.

Ok so ive done undead crypt and seen Vendrick walking around. I know you have to
get more giant souls to make the fight less tough
. My confusion is should I get these souls and go back and kill him or is it entirely optional? If it is recommended I kill him is there a certain point I do this or does it not matter.

So I could do the rest of normal game then go back?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ended up cheesing the dual pursers in Dranglaeic Castle NG+. Dunno how they expected anyone to solo this without using exploits.

void666

Banned
So gaf I have a question or questions regarding late game.

Ok so ive done undead crypt and seen Vendrick walking around. I know you have to
get more giant souls to make the fight less tough
. My confusion is should I get these souls and go back and kill him or is it entirely optional? If it is recommended I kill him is there a certain point I do this or does it not matter.

So I could do the rest of normal game then go back?

Yes, it's optional. If you want
his set and the blessings for your crowns you have to kill him though. Find more giant souls and come back later. When I killed him i had 4 souls. Piece of cake.

Korosenai

Started new game plus and I'm already at Dukes Dear Freja in about 2 hours flat. I think on my first play through it took me 30 something hours to make it to this point.

I did skip a lot, and I'm not really exploring since I already know where to go.

addyb

Yes, it's optional. If you want
his set and the blessings for your crowns you have to kill him though. Find more giant souls and come back later. When I killed him i had 4 souls. Piece of cake.

Thanks mate. After beating him can I just consume the souls or am I best keeping them for NG+? Or do you lose them anyway.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Does anyone here have a spare Alonne Captain Gloves and Leggins? I want to complete the set but those two just wont show up. Most Alonne Captains are already extinct now....
Edit: Never mind, they dont exist...

Novocaine

If you want to do a shieldless run, you need AGI, no matter what. Once you reach 100 points is basically a gamechanging moment and truly a painful experience until you reach that point.

So is it pretty much pointless in playing this kind of run until SL150?

I'm going to make a 2nd character here soon and I've never really messed with AGI and was thinking about trying it out.

Really tempted to get this when I'm finished with bloodborne but I'm worried about not being able to find other players to help me out. I know there are a few bosses that I couldn't have beaten with out the help of other sun bros.

Ayt

Banned
So is it pretty much pointless in playing this kind of run until SL150?

I'm going to make a 2nd character here soon and I've never really messed with AGI and was thinking about trying it out.

That wasn't good advice. 100 agility isn't some magical number where you will notice a difference immediately when you get there. 99-100 agility is a good thing to shoot for as an initial goal for that stat because of the diminishing returns after that, but you don't need that much in the beginning to play a shieldless character. 105 is what a lot of people ultimately shoot for on a pvp character because it is the equivalent of a fast roll in DS.

Look at the table here:

You'll want to get it to at least 86 asap because that gives a large jump. Beyond that, go by feel and the break points you see on the table.

The biggest thing to know when playing without a shield is that iframes trigger right when you start your roll so keep that in mind if you are trying to execute rolls that are going to be taking you through an enemy attack. Most rolls you'll be making will be to completely avoid the range of an attack, so iframes won't even matter in that case.

Really tempted to get this when I'm finished with bloodborne but I'm worried about not being able to find other players to help me out. I know there are a few bosses that I couldn't have beaten with out the help of other sun bros.

this game has plenty of online activity on PS4. messages being rated more than BB too.

theDeeDubs

Also what bonfire do I need to Ascetic to get Chancellor Wellager to NG++ because fuck gaining 3 ranks in the Blue Sentinels?

You can't. You have to progress to NG++. I just finished up all the achievements yesterday and I found a fairly quick way to get to him.

1. Head to the Forest of Fallen Giant to buy a Fragrant Branch of Yore and the key to the Blacksmith shop (for repairs etc.).
  2. Head to Black Gulch through the well in Majula, picking up another Branch of Yore at the end of the Gutter along the way.
  3. Use one of the Branches to open the second bonfire beside The Rotton boss.
  4. Farm The Rotten with Bonfire Ascetics until you reach 3 million Soul Memory (for that playthrough- so if you start NG++ at 3mil, for the Shrine of Winter to open your SM will need to say at least 6 million when you stand in front of it).
  5. Head to Dranleic Castle using your second Branch to unpretify Rosabeth of Melfia.

Novocaine

That wasn't good advice. 100 agility isn't some magical number where you will notice a difference immediately when you get there. 99-100 agility is a good thing to shoot for as an initial goal for that stat because of the diminishing returns after that, but you don't need that much in the beginning to play a shieldless character. 105 is what a lot of people ultimately shoot for on a pvp character because it is the equivalent of a fast roll in DS.

Look at the table here:

You'll want to get it to at least 86 asap because that gives a large jump. Beyond that, go by feel and the break points you see on the table.

The biggest thing to know when playing without a shield is that iframes trigger right when you start your roll so keep that in mind if you are trying to execute rolls that are going to be taking you through an enemy attack. Most rolls you'll be making will be to completely avoid the range of an attack, so iframes won't even matter in that case.

Okay that helps. I have played through multiple times with non AGI and I'm fairly used to rolling before attacks hit so it may not be so bad.

You can't. You have to progress to NG++. I just finished up all the achievements yesterday and I found a fairly quick way to get to him.

1. Head to the Forest of Fallen Giant to buy a Fragrant Branch of Yore and the key to the Blacksmith shop (for repairs etc.).
  2. Head to Black Gulch through the well in Majula, picking up another Branch of Yore at the end of the Gutter along the way.
  3. Use one of the Branches to open the second bonfire beside The Rotton boss.
  4. Farm The Rotten with Bonfire Ascetics until you reach 3 million Soul Memory (for that playthrough- so if you start NG++ at 3mil, for the Shrine of Winter to open your SM will need to say at least 6 million when you stand in front of it).
  5. Head to Dranleic Castle using your second Branch to unpretify Rosabeth of Melfia.

Yuck. Okay, well I'll have to do that on a new character, I've blown Ascetics all over the place so NG+ on my current character will be an absolute nightmare.

Divius

Finished my first Dark Souls 2 journey. Took me ~48 hours including a bunch of jolly co-op. It was a 95% blind playthrough, looking up two or three on the wiki and getting a few nudges in the right direction from steam friends.

Before anything, it is worth noting that I have 600 hours into Dark Souls 1, so you could say I am somewhat experienced in the twisted world of DS. I'm not going to compare the games too much, I'll just say that DS1 is the better game, but I loved my time DS2 as well and it is a mostly worthy sequel.

I was really, really struggling with the new combat/movement mechanics and overall feel of the game, but once I got my agility up and found my groove it was pretty much smooth sailing. Being familiar with the general mechanics coming from DS1 I felt confident enough in most situations and I don't think I died all that much.

Top 5 causes of death

Messing up my dodges in the early game
(frustrating)
Rolling/jumping of edges
Gank squads
Being too greedy and trying to get one more hit in at bossfights
(we've all been there)
5. Actual regular typical Dark Souls deaths

* Gank squads are the worst. Getting bumrushed by 5 enemies at the same time just sucks. The fact that they swing their weapons through each other makes it even worse. It happened a few times too often in the game, but I guess I learnt to deal with it along the way.

The game looks amazing, the level- and character design, the weapons and armors, the bosses and the vistas.. oh my the vistas. It's all pretty great. The DLC was especially great in this regard, I loved those areas.

Not doing NG+, just going to start a new character with a different build and dive into the wiki to see all the things I have missed. Which, I am guessing, is a lot. Probably just skimmed the top of the content, story and lore so I am not done with this game for a while yet. Praise the sun!

Should I do a STR or a mage build next?

Audioboxer

Done all the primal bonfires. SL 120. Came across an item that's let me start my first DLC. Excited as I've done none of them. Going to see how I get on before heading to the shrine of armana.

theDeeDubs

Okay that helps. I have played through multiple times with non AGI and I'm fairly used to rolling before attacks hit so it may not be so bad.

Yuck. Okay, well I'll have to do that on a new character, I've blown Ascetics all over the place so NG+ on my current character will be an absolute nightmare.

Ah. I never use them so I had almost 30 ascetics by the time I got to NG++. With exp items I was clearing maybe 250k souls each run once you get the intensity higher if you count the two souls he gives you.

I think I need a nudge to the right direction. Last places I cleared were Undead Purgatory and Iron Keep.

I see a lot of places telling me to
bring a ring, but I have no idea what ring and from where.

Where to next?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
That moment when you finally click with dual wielding and no shield. Been helping people with the Iron King. Rolling through his attacks like melting butter.

Never touching a dirty shield again :p

Powerstancing a black steel katana and ricards rapier.

I went through DS1 as a heavy strength + Faith build. Want to go through this as Dex + Magic. Picked starting class of swordsman since it fit. Also Dex lets me use whips occasionally, even though I hear they aren't great.

Really not used to this dual wielding so far. Give me tips please?

theDeeDubs

Even after the nerf, lightning still wrecks the game (minus dlc). Since I had high faith and atunement from pyro already, I started loading up on Great Lightning Spears. Had 24 uses and a good chunk gets refreshed every two minutes from the dlc crown. Lightning Dragon Charm +5, Lightning Clutch Ring, and Iron King Crown made NG+ a breeze. It one-shots most normal enemies. I also used a pyro flame +10 in my offhand for toxic misting turtlers.

Novocaine

Adding to this, do I need to collect 1 of every spell/miracle/etc on a single character for the trophy to pop or can it all be spread over multiple characters?

This is the first time I've felt compelled to platinum a Souls game. I rarely bother but I can't get enough of this for some reason.

I think I need a nudge to the right direction. Last places I cleared were Undead Purgatory and Iron Keep.

I see a lot of places telling me to
bring a ring, but I have no idea what ring and from where.

Where to next?

After you cleared the boss in the undead purgatory did you go check out the kings room past the boss? There's a ring in there, and 3 doors in the world that will only open if you are wearing it.

Top Bottom