• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Question for you all about the DLC in this version.

I am at
Drangleic Castle
I have yet to find anything that lets me start any of the DLC as far as I can tell. I go to some of the shrines and the doors always say closed. Are these locked till NG+?

You can
find a key, by killing 2 giants in the Black Gulch, that will open the door at the bottom of the pit in Medula, that will hold an item that will let you access the first dlc

Now if I can figure out what the heck I am supposed to do in the Castle lol...killed the
Twin Dragonriders
after that I wandered around for a long time and talked to some lady. Kinda lost...

Afther the
Twin Dragonriders
you come across a bonfire, from there it's basically a loop, at some point there will be a room where you fall of a short ledge, and will have a golem the other side.
The room next to it will have two guys in, don't kill them just yet, lure them to the golem and then kill them, this will activate the golem and will bring down the elevator (near the bonfire).
You should get a key that let's you open the door at the bottom of the elevator at some point too.

One of you bastards got me good last night. Just as I spawned in, too. I was in my inventory them bam. But, I beat vanguard and joined the covenant and got the ring so I'm safe now?
Yeah you can walk past all the enemy's in that area. I did a similar thing to some poor sod.

Not sure how many people I have to do over to finish the convent tho

I'm loving this game! Quick question.....

I'm a knight, and am doing ok so far. I'm very early in the game, and I have no interest in magic, unless it's necessary later on. Three questions:

1. Some have said that my starting sword is good for a good majority of the game; is this true, and if so should I upgrade it ASAP? Should I wait for something else?

2. Since I have no interest in magic, should I go full vigor, vitality, endurance and strength? Would I need to do dex at all?

3. Any advice on groups of enemies? I know that I can get one or two to break off from the group and take them out before the rest, but I'm talking about full on ambushes with 5 or 6 guys. By the time I get done blocking my endurance is gone and I can't attack.

Thanks!

purg3

slept with Malkin
40 human effigy later...still stuck on
darklurker
other bosses dont even get close to how hard this is,im about to give this platinum trophy up because of this boss

At least in vanilla, I took him out on my second try with a few sun spears and GLS. Lightning fucks him up hard. Or it did haven't got to him yet on SotFS

Hmm
I got the lift to go but it only goes up to a room with chests and a guy bound with rope on a cage with a Girl in it. I don't seem to have the key to unlock it. The lady I talked to mentioned I should see Vendrick

One of the chests should have had a key, go back down the elevator and open the door at the bottom. You get the key for the girl in the cage in a later area

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
any tips for
fume knight
? been stuck on him for hours now

As a 2H melee using Lost Sinner's Sword +5 with Dark infusion. I just stick as close to him as possible and play it like the pursuer fight. Read his swings, dodge to the left, attack once, regen stamina, repeat. Make sure you destroy the ashen idols outside the entrance so that he doesn't regen. When he goes 2H with the flame sword you just need to watch out for the AoE attack but it's still relatively the same. Don't even bother trying to use a shield or >70% equip load.

Do rings stack?

Like, can I wear the regular version and the +1 version of it at the same time. This is in regards to the "get more souls from enemy kills" ring.

Korosenai

How do I increase the amount of spells that I can cast? I was watching some video of a guy who could cast 73 dark orbs, and I have on his same exact gear and I can only cast 22.

Arkeband

Banned
That was amazing, FS need to add in finishers like that in Dark Souls 3 / Bloodborne 2.

I agree, I was super disappointed in BB when every single visceral attack (minus a few to bosses faces) were just me sticking my hand into their model and then retracting it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
How do I increase the amount of spells that I can cast? I was watching some video of a guy who could cast 73 dark orbs, and I have on his same exact gear and I can only cast 22.

You can attune a spell more than once if you have copies of it IIRC.

Finished Earthen Peak last night. Area makes me wanna scream obscenities and rage quit, but perseverance pays off. I forgot how much I hated this area from playing on PS3. On to Iron Keep.

Pancakes

'Tis weak to plunging attacks Arisen!

Iunderstoodthatreference.gif

I could never get into Dragon's Dogma like I did the souls game, not sure why.

Dragon Shrine
is a joke, right? I can't imagine how I should reach the top without every single one of my weapons broken...

You only need to fight the big guys. The knights won't aggro if you don't fight them.

dosh

Iunderstoodthatreference.gif

I could never get into Dragon's Dogma like I did the souls game, not sure why.

Well DD is way more action-oriented and over the top. It also starts really slowly. But DD does several things like no other game: exploration at night, fights against huge monsters... It's quite epic.

void666

Banned
I've been trying to play pvp. But 9 out of 10 times lag is unbearable. I get hit when i'm out of range. I get backstabed when facing my enemy.

I'm probably on the wrong side of the hemisphere. It's frustrating nonetheless.

mkvl

Neo Member
I'm finding Dark Souls 2 way better this time than the first time I played. I think the BB overdose made me appreciate DkS2 strong points much more than the jump straight from the original DkS to DkS2.

That was amazing, FS need to add in finishers like that in Dark Souls 3 / Bloodborne 2.
Whaaaa?!? Edit: damn quited a reply to the vid hah

Im so bad with 2hs, literally can't survive without a sheild. Best thing I have at the moment is a +2 blacksmith hammer :/

Whaaaa?!? Edit: damn quited a reply to the vid hah

Im so bad with 2hs, literally can't survive without a sheild. Best thing I have at the moment is a +2 blacksmith hammer :/

Heh

I keep trying to use 2 handers and they never work well for me. So used to faster single hand weapons with my trusty shield. But...they look so awesome when I equip them so I keep trying.

addyb

Dragon Shrine
is a joke, right? I can't imagine how I should reach the top without every single one of my weapons broken...

I can't imagine even anyone reaching the top of you had to fight all them. I made that mistake last night. Didn't realise that
you just have to fight the big guys and they leave you alone.

Just got the
Majestic Greatsword
7WHlx.gif

Who needs magic when you have #SWAG

Pancakes

Heh

I keep trying to use 2 handers and they never work well for me. So used to faster single hand weapons with my trusty shield. But...they look so awesome when I equip them so I keep trying.

You gotta swing much earlier than single handed weapons. Once you master that timing every non-boss enemy becomes a complete joke because of the massive staggering power. I used to live by the shield but it's really just a crutch. Mastering timely dodges and 2H is way more fun than hiding behind a shield imo.

You gotta swing much earlier than single handed weapons. Once you master that timing every non-boss enemy becomes a complete joke because of the massive staggering power. I used to live by the shield but it's really just a crutch. Mastering timely dodges and 2H is way more fun than hiding behind a shield imo.

Might have to try to do that after I finish the game soon. Maybe start a new character or reroll my stats

I'm loving this game! Quick question.....

I'm a knight, and am doing ok so far. I'm very early in the game, and I have no interest in magic, unless it's necessary later on. Three questions:

1. Some have said that my starting sword is good for a good majority of the game; is this true, and if so should I upgrade it ASAP? Should I wait for something else?

2. Since I have no interest in magic, should I go full vigor, vitality, endurance and strength? Would I need to do dex at all?

3. Any advice on groups of enemies? I know that I can get one or two to break off from the group and take them out before the rest, but I'm talking about full on ambushes with 5 or 6 guys. By the time I get done blocking my endurance is gone and I can't attack.

Thanks!

1) Personally, I say find something that you click with in terms of move set to start, and upgrade that. I really enjoy the Bandit Axe, and I've used that for the vast majority of the game. Don't fret about it too much. Find something you like, and if it starts feeling a little weak, just upgrade it. You'll get more titanite later.

2) It depends on the weapon you want to use. I had a great sword I wanted to use that had a dex requirement, so I got my dex high enough to use it. However, don't forget to look at the scaling as well. If something scales to Dex with a C rating, and to Str with a E, you should keep that in mind. Don't forget Adaptability as well. It increases your Agility to make dodging easier (more I-frames) and also increases your poise.

3) Don't do that then. ;) Be slow, and try to take on as small a number as possible. If you do get in that situation, depending on your area, see if you can get them to a choke point so you only take on a few at a time. Also, know when it's better to roll and when to dodge. However, with so many guys attacking, it can be difficult to roll because chances are some will be ready to attack by the end of your roll, which is usually not good (especially if you have low poise -- aka, you can get stun locked).

1) Personally, I say find something that you click with in terms of move set to start, and upgrade that. I really enjoy the Bandit Axe, and I've used that for the vast majority of the game. Don't fret about it too much. Find something you like, and if it starts feeling a little weak, just upgrade it. You'll get more titanite later.

Ohh a fellow Bandit Axe fan :3

Once I got it and used it I kept upgrading it hehe

Aces&Eights

So I'm in Black Gulch (screw this place) and had to fight a red phantom npc. Beat him them tried boss and died. After I respawned, he was there again? I thought when you kill an enemy NPC they stay dead?

Pancakes

must be at 60+ deaths by now at
fume knight
that boss is so so strong

What's your agility at? His moves shouldn't be super hard to dodge. Even his annoying delayed swing can be handled with enough stamina and some good timing.

Ohh a fellow Bandit Axe fan :3

Once I got it and used it I kept upgrading it hehe

Love my Bandit Axe +10!

Though, I'm at the point where I need to broaden my weapon / armor choices. The bandit axe can be a bit tough to PVP with at times, and I actually only have one elemental weapon :x For solo play, it's pretty fantastic though.

I'm also only using Vengarl's armor. I feel like I'm missing something because its base stats look like the best for physical damage, so outside of Fashion Souls, I'm not sure why I would want to use something else, unless it's all about those elemental resistances. I also just don't feel like I have that high of defense compared to many people I've come across in PVP. May just be my stats build, but I feel like a lot of it comes down to the armor as well, so I'll need to look into that more.

Akai XIII

How do you get to the GS in the 1st DLC? Cant remember how to get up there.

Also,
which DLC should I do next? I'm upto the Giant memories in the story so pretty much done.

If I go and defeat Nashandra will I go straight to NG+ or can I still play NG (like Vanilla)?

Cerity

Attention: Dark Souls II players!

We will be pushing a version and calibrations update in the coming weeks to address a few gameplay enhancements. Please see below for a list of changes:

On Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam (DirectX 9), Steam (DirectX 11):
--Fixed issue whereby weapon durability was decreased drastically when used on enemy corpses, friendly characters, etc. (Especially apparent for users running the game at 60 fps as the durability decrease rate was linked to the frame rate).
--Fixed issue whereby actions requiring both button and stick controller input (Jump Attack, Guard Break).

On Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam (DirectX 11):
--Fixed issue whereby summoning sign was displayed in Drangleic Castle and Throne of Want even though the player had defeated all bosses in the area.
--Fixed issue whereby the moment of death reply for some blood stains weren't being displayed online.
--Fixed issue whereby client side may hang during the event movie for Laddersmith Gilligan in Earthen Peak.
--Fixed issue whereby the Host may not be able to load their save data after stopping the game while waiting for matching to complete in online mode.

On Xbox One:
--Fixed issue whereby game may quit suddenly if player pauses the system during online multiplayer.
--Fixed issue whereby game may leave online multiplayer if the user pauses the system during online play then starts the game again.
--Fixes issue whereby the game may hang if the user goes back and forth between different maps over and over again.
--Fixed issue whereby the host may not return to normal offline play as intended when their network connection is cut off during online multiplayer.

On Steam (DirectX 9):
--Fixed issue whereby, when playing online, it may appear that the player is sliding forward because the walking motion animation is not being displayed properly.

We'll update everyone as soon as we know the exact date and time that the version and calibrations changes will occur. Thank you for your feedback and patience!
https://www.facebook.com/darksouls/posts/856520764420969

Nothing we didn't already know but nice to get confirmation.

CrovaxPSO

I started a cleric last night and quickly ran through Heide's tower to get Lightning Spear, and found out it only has 3 casts. I don't remember for certain but I thought it had at least 10 in the original release. The damage is pretty terrible as well (granted I only have the 22 faith required to use it). I know it was overpowered and that they nerfed it, but this seems a bit excessive. Is an offensive-based faith caster still viable at all now?

gogosox82

must be at 60+ deaths by now at
fume knight
that boss is so so strong

Yeah he is really tough. I fought him on NG+3 in CoC. He had like 20k hp and basically one shot me. I stopped counting how many deaths I had after a while b/c he killed me so many times but I finally got him.
Only advise I have is make sure the idols are out ( a mistake I made. Was constantly getting healed by the idols), dodge and stay close to him because he has a ton of range with the ultra greatsword.

Pancakes

Hate the mimics in this game I swear. That grab attack just seems to come out of nowhere sometimes.

The hitbox on the grab attack is complete bullshit. If you hit the chest form from the back and it lunges forward, it still hits you.

Ayt

Banned
So I'm in Black Gulch (screw this place) and had to fight a red phantom npc. Beat him them tried boss and died. After I respawned, he was there again? I thought when you kill an enemy NPC they stay dead?

There is more than one NPC that can invade you there so you likely fought a different enemy and didn't realize it.

Top Bottom