• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Started a new guy to try out dex. I got Vitality and Endurance to 20, and now I'm pumping it all into Agility. I picked up a Uchigatana and I'm liking it so far. The durability is awful though so I'm complimenting it with a Winged Spear until I can get a sword from one of the Alonne knights. Going to avoid using shields except for the Pursuer mini bosses I'm allowing myself to use the target shield so I can get them dead without stress (The Pursuer is my bane).

Grab the Washing Pole (20 durability) out of Harvest Valley too for another situational katana. Not sure if is as good as it used to be in vanilla though. I just found it and was surprised by its location.

Edit: also I just got to Iron Keep and went back and read the last page. I remember reading some bad shit about it in this thread earlier too. God damnit, it is going to be totally different and suck isn't it?

So many infinite health hosts all of a sudden, and they all seem very aware of gravity being the only threat they face.

I've taken to pelting them with corrosive urns, but I still wish there was a real solution.

pager99

I love the fact that the Ogre in the FoFG respawns. 1000 souls and he has a solid chance to drop Titanite Shards or Souls of the Proud Knight. Great spot to jump start a character, especially if you have some offensive spells.
I farmed him solid and got exactly that, another good farming spot is the blacksmith in lost Bastille the dogs there drop human effigys

Tarkus

I farmed him solid and got exactly that, another good farming spot is the blacksmith in lost Bastille the dogs there drop human effigys
Can duel on Iron Keep Bridge where defeating a summon or an invader yields Human Effigies. Many duelists will be week and sucky. You'll have 30 effigies in no time.

JackelZXA

Finished my SotFS playthrough (after beating bloodborne first) wow what an improvement. Every area is so much more interesting and feels more well thought out. Big things are shit like spots in the old game would have abunch of archers, in this instead theres one archer and one big enemy. The use of bosses as minibosses in lategame really adds to the feel of dranglaec castle, which is such a better area now. The game is just more fun now, and I love it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So you can't teleport to Primal Bonfires? I wanted to go pick up something I missed near one of those and it's not on the list of places I can teleport to.

void666

Banned
Fighting Sir
Alonne.
He does his grab stab attack. I dodge. I'm behind him. Game teleports me back to the tip of his sword.

Dark Souls

110 agility plus simpleton's ring by the way.

So you can't teleport to Primal Bonfires? I wanted to go pick up something I missed near one of those and it's not on the list of places I can teleport to.
Yes they're treated differently to other bonfires, mainly I think for no death/no bonfire runs which have in-game rewards for doing them. You'll notice when you use a primal bonfire all they basically are is a homeward bone back to Majula, they don't heal/repair etc.

People really had trouble with this guy? He was pretty easy as a 2H melee character.
Try it @ SL1 - 1 hit death, agility for shit, crap damage output. Oh yes, he's still a challenge!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Credits roll. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but clearly the weakest of the litter. This is the only one that I was just like ok can I just beat this already? I didn't even do the DLC I just went straight for the clear.

void666

Banned
Credits roll. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but clearly the weakest of the litter. This is the only one that I was just like ok can I just beat this already? I didn't even do the DLC I just went straight for the clear.

The DLC is pretty good. Interconnected, shortcuts, slow sense of progression. Some interesting enemies.

addyb

So I initially made a mistake in
Dragon shrine. I stupidly ran from the first drake keeper and didn't realise the Dragon knights chase you.

I thought jeez I can't possibly take all these on. It was ridiculous. I then realised that
they leave you alone if you just fight the big fellas and bow and that.
lol

sappyday

I'm still very early in the game but how come I just realized that the Clear Bluestone Ring I have is +2. I swear that's an item that you get in NG+

idonteven

40 human effigy later...still stuck on
darklurker
other bosses dont even get close to how hard this is,im about to give this platinum trophy up because of this boss

Mob_zter

Neo Member
So guys i have a Problem. I want to buy this game. But at the same time i dont want to buy this game. I have the same Problem with Bloodborne.

1st i must say i Played Dark Souls 1 on PC & i have beaten it. Its really is an amazing game. But when i play Dark souls 1 i had time to Play games at least 25 hours per week. Now i don't have that much time. I love gaming. but I just don't have time to grind. I'm not that patient anymore. I don't want to play the same area for hours coz im dying too much.if i start playing a game , i want to beat it properly before moving to the next game. if it got trophies , i would try to get the platinum if its not too much grind. Now Im just scared that if i bought this game that i wont be able to beat it. I wont be able move on to the next game..

Do any of you guys have this problem. Sorry about my English. :)

This game is awesome. First time playing on XBone. All I can say without reading the thread which is full of spoilers.

Thank you FROM SOFTWARE for being such boss!

Cerity

Caught up to where I dropped the game the first time (Drangleic castle) and I've just gone through Shrine of Amana.

Didn't seem that bad running through with a bow on the side, had more trouble with the two archdrake guards guarding the way to the 3rd(?) bonfire than any of the priests. Demon of Song was a letdown, got hit twice, hard and pretty much gambled on the fact that it attacks then goes back in.

Haha, so I think I was just inadvertently a part of someone's no death run on Twitch.

I was doing my Sunbro thing and got summoned by someone in Shaded Woods for Mytha, we go through and kill her and I keep playing for a bit, then turn it off. I go to Twitch and see the same character with the same name on stream. Not sure why he was doing a no death run online but yeah.

And...I just saw them die in Amana. Aw man. XD

saturnine

darklurker
other bosses dont even get close to how hard this is,im about to give this platinum trophy up because of this boss

He's one of the tougher cookies. Some tips that might help :

- Wait until you're endgame, maybe even post-dlc.
- His weakness is fire, so infuse your weapons accordingly / use pyromancies.
- During his sword combo, stay close to him, he might swing over your head.
- Most of his long range attacks (death laser and teleporting fire projectiles) can be evaded by circle-strafing. The laser is easy to avoid by standing really close to him while circling around him, and it gives you an opening to hit when he goes back to the ground.
- When he separates in two, stop using your lock-on. You need to be aware of where they both are at all times from now-on. Don't forget to look up to see where their glowing orbs spawn / if one of them is charging a laser. Your main tactic now is hit once and run, do NOT get greedy.
- Depends on your weapon's reach, but if you have an opening to hit both of them at the same time, DO IT.
- Have some luck.

burnfout

Man the improved graphics and 60 FPS reallly make a difference.

Yesterday I stayed at Heide's Tower for hours on end, playing coop, clearing out all old knights, trying to fight
the Dragon
all the while looking at the beautiful environment.

I need a remaster of DS1 stat, because right now this is my favorite souls game, and I feel it's not a fair comparison.

takriel

I love the fact that the Ogre in the FoFG respawns. 1000 souls and he has a solid chance to drop Titanite Shards or Souls of the Proud Knight. Great spot to jump start a character, especially if you have some offensive spells.

Meh, you can just beat some bosses and pick up titanite shards in treasure chests in No Man's Wharf instead of farming him. You get more Souls like this, as well.

idonteven

He's one of the tougher cookies. Some tips that might help :

- Wait until you're endgame, maybe even post-dlc.
- His weakness is fire, so infuse your weapons accordingly / use pyromancies.
- During his sword combo, stay close to him, he might swing over your head.
- Most of his long range attacks (death laser and teleporting fire projectiles) can be evaded by circle-strafing. The laser is easy to avoid by standing really close to him while circling around him, and it gives you an opening to hit when he goes back to the ground.
- When he separates in two, stop using your lock-on. You need to be aware of where they both are at all times from now-on. Don't forget to look up to see where their glowing orbs spawn / if one of them is charging a laser. Your main tactic now is hit once and run, do NOT get greedy.
- Depends on your weapon's reach, but if you have an opening to hit both of them at the same time, DO IT.
- Have some luck.

im pure melee and i hear its the hardest way to kill him that way

Vindicator

darklurker

Managed to take him down yesterday, never used lock-on
with Red Iron Twinblade, he's extremely weak to lightining, a late split also helps a lot
good luck.
Now I'm stuck at the
final Scholar Boss
, tried a few times yesterday with full npc gank squad engaged but no success yet.

Dresden

I'm pleasantly surprised. Like what I've seen of the new enemy placements; they just make more sense, and/or are less punishing in that unpleasantly ganky way. Small details like seeing one of the Bastille dudes aboard the ship at wharf, or the Varangians guarding the elevator up to the bonfire once you arrive at LB.

The bosses feel so sluggish after Bloodborne, though. Just dancing around them with no worries at all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Even after the nerf, lightning still wrecks the game (minus dlc). Since I had high faith and atunement from pyro already, I started loading up on Great Lightning Spears. Had 24 uses and a good chunk gets refreshed every two minutes from the dlc crown. Lightning Dragon Charm +5, Lightning Clutch Ring, and Iron King Crown made NG+ a breeze. It one-shots most normal enemies. I also used a pyro flame +10 in my offhand for toxic misting turtlers.
Damn, that build sounds like a lot of fun. I'm gonna have to check it out.

burnfout

Were we always able to coop a boss before killing it in singleplayer?

Clearing out all enemies before a boss, throw down summon sign, defeat boss, everything gets refilled, kill boss in SP.

Seems too easy now, I never really did this in the PS3 version.

phoenixyz

DS2GAF, I need some recommendation concerning my character: Currently I am playing a Faith build with Lightning Claymore and medium roll. But as both Sunlight Spear and Sunlight Blade are ridiculously weak I am looking to respecc now. In DS1 I played strength and in DeS intelligence. So maybe dark this time? Is this viable and fun if I want to still mainly do meele (weapon enchantments?) with some casts in between? What would be a good weapon for this?

So a few hours ago I played some souls coop/PvP for the first time ever.
I get it.
And now I cant stop.
Set up shop in iron keep, ran smelter/and iron king a few dozen times,helped out others.
Everyones praising the sun after our victory.

Then I get invaded and pull a victory from defeat in my first duel,were both starting off with a respectful bow.
I cant stop playing this.

Ragnaroz

DS2GAF, I need some recommendation concerning my character: Currently I am playing a Faith build with Lightning Claymore and medium roll. But as both Sunlight Spear and Sunlight Blade are ridiculously weak I am looking to respecc now. In DS1 I played strength and in DeS intelligence. So maybe dark this time? Is this viable and fun if I want to still mainly do meele (weapon enchantments?) with some casts in between? What would be a good weapon for this?
Dark is one of the strongest melee builds there is. Dark infuse your weapons and use the Dark Weapon spell and you can easily hit bosses for almost 1k in ng+ with some weapons(I used the ordinary Greatsword +10).

Neoweee

destroyed him after respecing into pyromancy

i was stuck on that boss for hours and hours with melee

You didn't need to fully respec. What element did you have on your weapon? Did you try using the consumable that gives temporary fire or lightning buff?

Question for you all about the DLC in this version.

I am at
Drangleic Castle
I have yet to find anything that lets me start any of the DLC as far as I can tell. I go to some of the shrines and the doors always say closed. Are these locked till NG+?

As for my progress, I am excited that I am near the end, finishing Bloodborne (first title to finish in the Souls genre) and now this has been a amazing ride. After this I plan to finally dive into the PC copy I have of Dark Souls :3

Now if I can figure out what the heck I am supposed to do in the Castle lol...killed the
Twin Dragonriders
after that I wandered around for a long time and talked to some lady. Kinda lost...

Top Bottom