• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Zocano

B-Team Defense Force reporting for duty.

Someone posted this earlier but it didn't get much talk so I'll post it again (Bloodborne hit detection):
http://a.pomf.se/uabsdl.webm

Bitching about hitbox shit will always plague every Dark Souls 2 thread with people unable to look past them. I couldn't care less as these problems rarely ever occur in any form so I find it so weird that people get hyper attentive toward these sorts of technical issues.

Bl@de

What builds is everyone going for?

I'm considering something I never played. Always played melee (swords, spears, dual katanas, you name it). This time I'll take Faith , Magic or Hexes. Preferably faith but still undecided. Never used magic in a souls game and have no clue how to do it best...

Nabs

just added the JP version to my cart...

IBsZ3i.jpg

It says I already own the Scholar of the first sin DLC so I'm unable to repurchase it?

That's the DX9 version.

burgerdog

Shieldless builds in Dark Souls games require a bit more skill and experience as the game was built around defensive play style using shields. You can certainly try it, but getting hit isn't as forgiving as it is in Bloodborne, you could easily be taken down in 1 swipe by a boss.

I don't think this is true at all. The beauty of every Souls game is that you can play it like a turtle or a rolling god. I do not use shields in any of the games and I find it incredibly fair, not once have I said: god this would be so much easier if I was using a shield. Another thing, there's plenty of bosses that can one shot you in bloodborne as well, perhaps you don't see those attacks if you play with low insight?

I have videos of a large portion of the dark souls 2 / dark souls bosses on my channel if you want to check them out.
https://www.youtube.com/user/burgerdog999/videos

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Someone posted this earlier but it didn't get much talk so I'll post it again (Bloodborne hit detection):

Bitching about hitbox shit will always plague every Dark Souls 2 thread with people unable to look past them. I couldn't care less as these problems rarely ever occur in any form so I find it so weird that people get hyper attentive toward these sorts of technical issues.
Sorry, but I refuse to believe this gif. I'm not a hater of DkS2 (everyone knows I love that game over DkS1) but out of this 150 hours I've spent in BB, I've never had anything even CLOSE to the gif above happen to me.

Ashkeloth

Not so sure this is hitboxes, as much as the player trying to activate the visceral attack too early. In my experience with Bloodborne, You usually need to wait a second or so after stunning before you hit attack to get the visceral attack to work. Not that I haven't had plenty of times where I've had the same thing happen... or that I really have a horse in this race. I like Dark Souls II and I like Bloodborne.

Edit: My bad. Thought you were talking about the visceral attack not working. Somehow didn't notice the wonky-ass hitbox on the second half of the webm. That does look kinda bad.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sorry, but I refuse to believe this gif. I'm not a hater of DkS2 (everyone knows I love that game over DkS1) but out of this 150 hours I've spent in BB, I've never had anything even CLOSE to the gif above happen to me.

There is definitely some questionable hitboxes in BB.

Ferrio

Banned
Kinda wanna pick this up but I already beat it, and if I did it again I'd have to do something different. Never used a shield my first play through (2 handed curved greatsword), so guess means I'd have to try using shields for once. But that doesn't sound fund, and Pillars is calling me.

What a stupid post, some people had (god knows I have no idea what people are talking about when it comes to hippo grabs, seems fine to me) no issues in DS2, doesn't mean they didn't exist.

'refuse to believe this gif.'? Just lmao.

Randam

I believe that gif(?), but yeah, can't think if anything like this during my time with bb either, but I can with dark souls 2.

And that's the point
None of the games are perfect, and dark souls 2 is the least perfect.

ironcreed

Banned

And there you go. It's easy to cherry pick instances where something like this or similar happened to someone in any of the Souls games and even Bloodborne. But you can't use that as a measuring stick for the overall quality or for the experience that everyone else is having.

Jiraiza

I'm going to laugh if From screws up their listings and everyone ends up buying the version they didn't want.

Oh boy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Was surprised when I got the email saying this is ready for pickup, thought it was like next week or something, heh. The only problem is I'm nowhere near done with Bloodborne yet. Oh well, guess I'll pick it up tomorrow anyway and jump in once my first run through BB is done. All dat Souls!

Dr.Acula

Banned
If you're having trouble finding it in Steam, just click on a Souls game and follow the "FROM Software" link, you'll find the DX11 ver in a list there.

DarKshodaN

When i open the Link in my Steam Client it works, but i can not purchase it, say's i already own it , what the hell is now messed up

Tymerend

Keeps telling me I have overlapping items in my cart and to remove them, even though the upgrade is the only thing in my cart. Hopefully this gets sorted out shortly.

HeelPower

Why can't every game as perfect the paragon of animations, physics and hit detection that is Miyazaki-san's masterpiece Bloodborne?

bbpig.gif

This is not really a problem in hit detection.

I am currently farming these pigs(fighting many,many of them) and the only attack that has ridiculous tracking is the charge attack.

Its meant to do that because its only dangerous attack and you should never approach that enemy from the front.Once you get close to its back(or even its side) its incredibly easy to avoid any and all of its attacks.

Top Bottom