• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

"It looks like you have packages which overlap in your cart. You need to remove the redundant packages from your cart before you can checkout."

When trying to buy the DX11 Upgrade version.

Afar

Neo Member
so has anyone upgraded in steam? does it replace DS2 DX9 or is the upgrade just a discount and you end up with both versions?

Havel

"It looks like you have packages which overlap in your cart. You need to remove the redundant packages from your cart before you can checkout."

When trying to buy the DX11 Upgrade version.

Yeah everyone is getting this currently.

The non upgrade version seems fine though...

wutwutwut

Well, bought. I'm pretty excited to go back in. I enjoyed DS2 much more than DS1 -- as for the other games, it's hard to go back to PS3 graphics, and I don't have a PS4.

Corpekata

Banned
When I added it to my cart it was fine but I was selling a few market items to soften the blow and yeah, now it is saying that cart issue like everyone else. The sub was updated 6 minutes ago so something they did during that is what screwed it up.

HeelPower

Is it true that every enemy will now follow you constantly unless you reach a bonfire/teleport ?

Are there bigger hordes now ?

A mix of both, I dont recommend going to Heides first unless you know your gameplay

I'm pretty used to the series but that's good to hear. Something about the sequel rubbed me the wrong way. Some enemy placements at the start were over the top and some at the end were borderline insane. Then there's loads in between that were kinda stale. I'm tempted to give this another shot after BB since the dlc is all new to me.

I'm gonna wait on the verdict from GAF though I think since honestly, I know it's old hat but I was on the bad end of the hit detection often enough to drag it down a bit and the enemy placements were already doing that for me. Good to see they're planning to tweak them.

Carlius

Banned
what is this???????? why cant i buy it?

UYlsYaN.png

ironcreed

Banned
This is a problem with game walls and not the hit detection.

You can hit the pig in this scenario and it can hit you back because its body is acting as if there's no wall.

I don't see a phantom hit box here.

Indeed. But by the same token, you are still being hit when you are not supposed to be hit. So in that sense, same sort of problem. One that I have had in every Souls game and Bloodborne. But it did not sour the experience for me at all.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So will we finally see DX11 screenshots soon? I'm really curious as to comparisons with the DX9.

You can hit the pig in this scenario and it can hit you back because its body is acting as if there's no wall.

Oh, I guess bad wall collisions are A-OK then. :p

Got the money but I'm going to wait to see how it looks, runs, sells before buying the upgrade. I'm all about PvP and if the split kills the community there's no point in me buying it.

Neoweee

Yes, which is bullshit. People like to say "tough, but fair!" while ignoring the bulkshit the games throw at you. Both hit detection and clipping are the games breaking realism to fuck you.

Edit: less abrasive. Sorry, on phone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm gonna pick this up on PS4 after loving BB.
Is the DS2 combat very different from BB?

most people play it more defensively (with a shield), you can not use a shield, but you never have near as much stamina to roll around forever like you do in BB, keep that in mind

but plenty of people play without shields. and theres magic too, you can just play a mage

ironcreed

Banned

Same sort of style, but slower, no quick-step (only a roll and back step) and equipment can weigh you down. But on the bright side, you have so many more options to play around with when it comes to your build.

Parsnip

The €uro upgrade price was a nice surprise. Was expecting €19.99 and would have grabbed it at that price too, but €14.99 is even better.

And there you go. It's easy to cherry pick instances where something like this or similar happened to someone in any of the Souls games and even Bloodborne. But you can't use that as a measuring stick for the overall quality or for the experience that everyone else is having.

Sorry but this is bullshit. Same with the earlier GIF you posted. That's not a hitbox issue, that's some sort of clipping issue.

Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 have been out for a considerably long time.

But Dark Souls 2 is the one with the majority of hitbox issues. I'm not suggesting that the other games are not prone with said issue, I'm suggesting that Dark Souls 2 is the biggest offender.

There are so many GIFs and videos with Dark Souls 2 hitbox issues. But if all you have is one or two GIFs from BB and nothing from Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1, then I really don't see where this is heading.

You want to praise DS2? Fine. I'm okay with that. I enjoyed DS2.

But in no world are it's hitbox issues the same as DeS/DkS/BB. It has significantly more problems.

Robot Pants

I'd say very different.
Blocking isn't really much of an option in Bloodborne. The game is designed around dodging. Dark Souls is very much a blocking AND rolling game.
Also like Rhaknar said, using magic lets you attack from a much longer range than in Bloodborne.

Risev1

so wait, which version is the directx9 version? Is it the normal version that was available since 2014 or something? Kinda confused here.

PC is out now. consoles later lol. who ever htought eh? pc before consoles lol

I'm guessing the release would be too close to BB on the playstation so pushed the consoles back a week to create a bit of breathing room. Honestly I'm not even done with BB yet so it's kind of handy to keep me from being tempted.

Yes and No.

BB is the same core gameplay but faster and being able to dash cancel like crazy while in Dark Souls the gameplay is slower and dashing consumes a lot of stamina if you are not careful enough so you have to invest more time evaluating your gear and weight stats.

Dark Souls have more variety about facing the enemies compared to BB but it really depends of how you play, like me I usually play ranged instead of melee but you can see people going full melee with greatswords or use shields (or the new attack shield mechanics).

Top Bottom