• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this time ill definately ho holy tho, I want those spears :(

was so jelly back when I played it, everyone had magic spears but me (yes I know they are nerfed)

ironcreed

Banned
Sorry but this is bullshit. Same with the earlier GIF you posted. That's not a hitbox issue, that's some sort of clipping issue.

Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 have been out for a considerably long time.

But Dark Souls 2 is the one with the majority of hitbox issues. I'm not suggesting that the other games are not prone with said issue, I'm suggesting that Dark Souls 2 is the biggest offender.

There are so many GIFs and videos with Dark Souls 2 hitbox issues. But if all you have is one or two GIFs from BB and nothing from Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1, then I really don't see where this is heading.

You want to praise DS2? Fine. I'm okay with that. I enjoyed DS2.

But in no world are it's hitbox issues the same as DeS/DkS/BB. It has significantly more problems.

I am not going to get into some drawn out gif war to try and prove any point, lol. As I don't really care how many more gifs there are of the hitbox problem. All I am saying is that all of the games have issues where you can get hit at times when you should not be, whether that be from clipping or a hitbox issue.

In my case, I have experienced swivel-hits and clipping hits in all of the Souls games. But never noticed any strictly hitbox issues. I don't doubt that it is an issue, just that it was not an issue for me. However, the clipping problem most certainly has been. Point being, you are still being hit when you should not be in either case. That's all I am saying.

Carl7

brazillian price is still very fucked up

89e89be45dbac457f18f55d9ec1c78aa.png

game normal price is 90,99

upgrade price, 99,99

what the hell?

Here is 66 and 90, but they have to add the option to upgrade with dlcs which should 40.

Sorry but this is bullshit. Same with the earlier GIF you posted. That's not a hitbox issue, that's some sort of clipping issue.

Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 have been out for a considerably long time.

But Dark Souls 2 is the one with the majority of hitbox issues. I'm not suggesting that the other games are not prone with said issue, I'm suggesting that Dark Souls 2 is the biggest offender.

There are so many GIFs and videos with Dark Souls 2 hitbox issues. But if all you have is one or two GIFs from BB and nothing from Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1, then I really don't see where this is heading.

You want to praise DS2? Fine. I'm okay with that. I enjoyed DS2.

But in no world are it's hitbox issues the same as DeS/DkS/BB. It has significantly more problems.

To be fair, BB has been out for hardly any time at all still. People haven't had the opportunity to comb over thousands of playthroughs to package its hitbox issues into convenient gifs yet. Those are starting to come out so a few have been linked in this thread and they seem just as silly as the DS2 gifs.

I don't know. I remember hitbox issues causing deaths in every Souls game for me, from Demon Souls to BB. But in none of these games (not even DS2) did it happen more than a couple times and in none of those games did it actually impact my enjoyment of them. That said I'm a pretty easy going player and more likely to have a laugh about a death caused by such a problem then actually get angry about it as long as it's a sparing issue, and it so far always has been.

HeelPower

Indeed. But by the same token, you are still being hit when you are not supposed to be hit. So in that sense, same sort of problem. One that I have had in every Souls game and Bloodborne. But it did not sour the experience for me at all.

Oh, I guess bad wall collisions are A-OK then. :p

This issue is so prevalent in the souls series that I've come to expect it in every situation.

I enjoy using it to my advantage as well.This is how I beat Gwyn in DS1.Spear and hit through the pillar when he extends his foot.LOL

Yes, which is bullshit. People like to say "tough, but fair!" while ignoring the bulkshit the games throw at you. Both hit detection and clipping are the games breaking realism to fuck you due to lazy programming.

It doesn't give an unfair advantage to the enemy.There are tons of weapons you can use to your advantage in these situations to hit through walls.

I wanna try a magic build. Either specialize in one or mix and match. Can someone give me the skinny on different magic classses?

Sorcerer = Int stat
Pyro = Faith/Int Stat , need the fire glove to use pyromantic and can be upgraded after saving a NPC
Priest = Faith stat , you will be a melee class for a while because the damage miracle spells are in mid game and your spears are/will be nerfed to the ground until you speak with the NPC in Heides
Hexes = Faith/Int the new caster class some of the spells can be pretty powerful at the cost of consuming part of your souls

Neoweee

This issue is so prevalent in the souls series that I've come to expect it in every situation.

I enjoy using it to my advantage as well.This is how I beat Gwyn in DS1.Spear and hit through the pillar when he extends his foot.LOL

It doesn't give an unfair advantage to the enemy.There are tons of weapons you can use to your advantage in these situations to hit through walls.

Its not unfair, just cheap and cheesy. The player can use it more effectively in most circumstances. Dark Souls 2 mostly deleted pillars from boss arenas to counter, or at least that is my impression.

Arafo

i5 4670k
770 2gb
2880x1800
rock solid 60 fps

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii_2015_04_00buqn.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii_2015_04_0qeuhv.png[/IMG]

It looks pretty much the same than vanilla ds2 but a lot bloom and some better textures.

I wanna try a magic build. Either specialize in one or mix and match. Can someone give me the skinny on different magic classses?

There are three magic stats in the game and 4 "classes" of magic.

The three magic stats are Intelligence, Faith, and Attunement. Intelligence and Faith dictate what kind of spells you'll cast while attunement is how many spell "slots" you have open to you so it is good for any spell caster.

Sorcery spells use the Int and involve a lot of direct offensive spells and utility spells. If you're trying to make a strict "Mage" then this is pretty much your bread and butter.

Miracle spells use Faith and involve more buffing and healing though there are some utility and even a couple direct attack spells (lightning bolt).

Hex spells use either Int or Faith or both. They're usually offensive in nature and kind of weird. It's hard to strictly define them.

Pyromancy uses no stat and its damage is dictated by the pyromancy flame weapon strength (which is upgraded like any other weapon). Pyromancy spells are generally very close range attacks and some buffing. Pyromancy is mostly a spell option for those who don't actually make mage characters.

Generally you'll want to either go Int or Faith and then grab Attunement in either case. Also there are weapons that scale with faith/int so even as a "Mage" you'll probably still get some good use out of a weapon, you just have to find the right one as they tend to be rarer or require being crafted a certain way.

Edit: mixed up wording for spell types

This is a pretty shameful release, honestly. Should have been free.

Some devs do it right, at least: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...rrior-adds-directx-11-support-in-free-update/

From having to make a whole different sku for dx11 is so stupid.

i5 4670k
770 2gb
2880x1800
rock solid 60 fps

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii_2015_04_00buqn.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii_2015_04_0qeuhv.png[/IMG]

It looks pretty much the same than vanilla ds2 but a lot bloom and some better textures.

Can you try manually importing a save?

Bl@de

i5 4670k
770 2gb
2880x1800
rock solid 60 fps

Same system as me, except that I have a Xeon 1230. Curious if it runs at 60fps with 4K. Will test it out tomorrow morning when I pick it up. But 2880x1800 is already nice^^

To be fair, BB has been out for hardly any time at all still. People haven't had the opportunity to comb over thousands of playthroughs to package its hitbox issues into convenient gifs yet. Those are starting to come out so a few have been linked in this thread and they seem just as silly as the DS2 gifs.

I don't know. I remember hitbox issues causing deaths in every Souls game for me, from Demon Souls to BB. But in none of these games (not even DS2) did it happen more than a couple times and in none of those games did it actually impact my enjoyment of them. That said I'm a pretty easy going player and more likely to have a laugh about a death caused by such a problem then actually get angry about it as long as it's a sparing issue, and it so far always has been.

That's why I mentioned Demon/Dark Souls 1. Those games have been out for a long time. I'm not suggesting that this problem is exclusive to Dark Souls 2 but the problem is definitely more noticeable and more pronounced. Hiding behind "but other games in the series have the problem" is a bullshit way of deflecting the issue.

You don't see me going "oh build variety in Bloodborne is not a problem because I only ever went melee builds." No, build variety in BB is definitly less then DeS/DkS/DkS2. Same with any other similar criticism of any of the past Souls games. Hitboxes are a more pronounced and are a bigger problem in Dark Souls 2. You might not notice it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't true.

Deku Tree

most people play it more defensively (with a shield), you can not use a shield, but you never have near as much stamina to roll around forever like you do in BB, keep that in mind

but plenty of people play without shields. and theres magic too, you can just play a mage

Same sort of style, but slower, no quick-step (only a roll and back step) and equipment can weigh you down. But on the bright side, you have so many more options to play around with when it comes to your build.

I'd say very different.
Blocking isn't really much of an option in Bloodborne. The game is designed around dodging. Dark Souls is very much a blocking AND rolling game.
Also like Rhaknar said, using magic lets you attack from a much longer range than in Bloodborne.

Yes and No.

BB is the same core gameplay but faster and being able to dash cancel like crazy while in Dark Souls the gameplay is slower and dashing consumes a lot of stamina if you are not careful enough so you have to invest more time evaluating your gear and weight stats.

Dark Souls have more variety about facing the enemies compared to BB but it really depends of how you play, like me I usually play ranged instead of melee but you can see people going full melee with greatswords or use shields (or the new attack shield mechanics).

Thanks!!! Sounds still really fun!!!

Joey Ravn

Banned
From having to make a whole different sku for dx11 is so stupid.

I think FROM said that it's due to the new enemy locations. I guess that a player with the old version of the game (with the original enemy placement) can't connect to a game that uses the new enemy placement.

Then again, FROM could have treated the Scholar of the First Sin version as their "Gold Edition" from the start: bundle all the DLC together for people who don't have it, upgrade the graphics and performance for all, and make the changes in the placement of enemies either a NG+ feature, or an optional toggle. Or, heck, make it free for everyone.

Hmm.. if I buy the 64-bit upgrade version, it notes that this doesn't get me access to the old version (which was understood). But do I still get to keep the old version? I'm thinking of all my slacker friends who will never buy this upgrade, yet I still want to convince them to finally play some DS2 with me (they bought it long ago).

I beat Bloodborne in about 51 hours and Dark Souls 1 in 60. Is Dark Souls 2 around that? I have heard that the game is HUGE lol is it safe to say Dark Souls 2 is the biggest game when compared with BB and Dark Souls 1?

Carlius

Banned
whatever...from may have goofed this one, but its still no ubisoft and i want to support souls games on PC, so i bought it and imma play the shit out if once again baby.

Hmm.. if I buy the 64-bit upgrade version, it notes that this doesn't get me access to the old version (which was understood). But do I still get to keep the old version? I'm thinking of all my slacker friends who will never buy this upgrade, yet I still want to convince them to finally play some DS2 with me (they bought it long ago).

It should be listed as a separate entry for you in Steam.

Krakn3Dfx

whatever...from may have goofed this one, but its still no ubisoft and i want to support souls games on PC, so i bought it and imma play the shit out if once again baby.

Yeah this is pretty much how I'm looking at it, even though I bought the game and season pass day one when they came out. I'll play through this again easily at least once, just to check out the changes.

MonkeyNuts

Neo Member
I beat Bloodborne in about 51 hours and Dark Souls 1 in 60. Is Dark Souls 2 around that? I have heard that the game is HUGE lol is it safe to say Dark Souls 2 is the biggest game when compared with BB and Dark Souls 1?
Considering it includes all the DLC it is pretty damn massive lol

Abylim

Picking this up in an hour or so when I head out.

The trophy list is identical to Dark Souls 2, do we have confirmation that it will be a separate list from the ps3 one?

So happy, Platinumed bloodborne yesterday, Dark Souls 2 today xD!

That's why I mentioned Demon/Dark Souls 1. Those games have been out for a long time. I'm not suggesting that this problem is exclusive to Dark Souls 2 but the problem is definitely more noticeable and more pronounced. Hiding behind "but other games in the series have the problem" is a bullshit way of deflecting the issue.

Yes, but some people have disagreements on exactly how profound that difference is. When people are saying "the other games in the series have the problem", they're not excusing the problem in Dark Souls 2 but rather pointing out that it's unfair to single out DS2 for those problems. People's experiences with these games vary and while you're correct that significantly more gifs have come out to show hitbox issues in DS2 than Demon's Souls or Dark Souls they're obviously not wide-spread enough for it to actually have effected everyone who played the game or negatively impact their experience. Most people who come into threads dissing DS2 with gifs like this already have other reasons they dislike the game, they just use the hitbox gifs as a way to support their viewpoint. That's fine, but I don't think maybe a few more sketchy hitbox issues actually significantly detracted from anyone's experience, especially in the face of maybe more universally applicable problems DS2 might have had.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. Again, I'm pretty easygoing when playing these games, so a bullshit death usually just amuses me as long as it isn't something that repeats. And so far I haven't died to a hitbox issue in ANY of these games repeatedly so it can't be that bad in any of them.

Proc

The steam store for me doesn't have a separate discount for owning all of the dlc. Anyone else have this issue? I'm also a bit timid buying the upgrade because it's essentially splintering the user base. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, but some people have disagreements on exactly how profound that difference is. When people are saying "the other games in the series have the problem", they're not excusing the problem in Dark Souls 2 but rather pointing out that it's unfair to single out DS2 for those problems. People's experiences with these games vary and while you're correct that significantly more gifs have come out to show hitbox issues in DS2 than Demon's Souls or Dark Souls they're obviously not wide-spread enough for it to actually have effected everyone who played the game or negatively impact their experience. Most people who come into threads dissing DS2 with gifs like this already have other reasons they dislike the game, they just use the hitbox gifs as a way to support their viewpoint. That's fine, but I don't think maybe a few more sketchy hitbox issues actually significantly detracted from anyone's experience.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. Again, I'm pretty easygoing when playing these games, so a bullshit death actually just amuses me as long as it isn't something that repeats. And so far I haven't died to a hitbox issue in ANY of these games more than once.

And I'm not suggesting that it significantly detracts from the problem (especially if people don't experience it). But the hitbox issue is real (or rather, in some cases, its the hurtbox issue). If it doesn't effect you, fine. That's great. But it's a noted and pretty well documented issue and you can't just dismiss it as "other games had it too" because they didn't. Not to this extent.

Will it effect your enjoyment? Probably not. It didn't effect mine in any substantial way.

wickfut

Banned
The new DX11 graphics don't change much, it certainly isn't the pre-release lighting and looks a lot worse than any ENB or GeDoSaTo effects.

The DoF seems to now be slightly variable, the brightness is much higher , I've lowered image brightness slider to the far left to get it close to the match the DX9 version.

The areas that you'd think would be dark, like the couple of tunnels in the start area are still well lit. Not much has changed near the start apart from the few odd Heide's knight placements, trolls, a statue blocking an entrance in the start tunnels and the dragon.
:(

VN1neQ.jpg

uploading a quick youtube of a run from start to the dragon in Heide's Tower Of Flame. It should be available here in about 10-15 mins.

https://youtu.be/jEHsgBwiS0E

What exactly did they add that requires DX11? Seems like DX11 was slapped on to justify this versions existence on PC. I mean we cant make it look as good as the DX9 version. DX11 isnt necessary for enemy placement. What was the point?

Naedtrax

Banned
Once again PC gets the short stick. No big deal tho, people should just play with GeDoSaTo with Vanilla Dark souls 2 and have an ultimately much better looking game.

Upsetting, as i would have bought it in a heart beat if it was an actual improvement

Played the shit out of ds2 on ps3 and PC. Didn't touch the dlc even though I bought it. Not sure if I want to upgrade. Would definitely get it if my saves would carry over. Currently loving bloodborne. Beaten it at around 49 hours and now running through these chalice dungeons. I'll probably just play the dlc instead after I finish everything in bloodborne. Dark souls 2 gets a lot of hate but I loved it. I've loved each game even though there are certain things I didn't agree with.

Carlius

Banned
Once again PC gets the short stick. No big deal tho, people should just play with GeDoSaTo with Vanilla Dark souls 2 and have an ultimately much better looking game.

Upsetting, as i would have bought it in a heart beat if it was an actual improvement

better looking is not the same as a complete game with full dlc, new npcs and new enemy locations. sorry man, worth the 20 bucks for me. cant wait to play it again for a third time.

Gbraga

I'm interested in this version for the actual meaningful additions, I don't care which one looks better.

Bl@de

What exactly did they add that requires DX11? Seems like DX11 was slapped on to justify this versions existence on PC. I mean we cant make it look as good as the DX9 version. DX11 isnt necessary for enemy placement. What was the point?

11 > 9, higher = better

marketing

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is this using the fancy new windows 10 only dx? Dx12 or whatever it was?

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, those of us who played on consoles are going to reap the biggest benefit here in terms of the technical upgrades. Cannot wait.

On a side note, that Xbox One stream shows the game running like silk. So good.

Top Bottom