• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Came back to this game today after a few months off. Picked it up in B
rightstone
C
ove
T
seldora
and made it through past the boss without dying. Craftsman's Hammer is just too good, and also the boss is stupid easy.

At this point I've lit 3 P
rimal
B
onfires
, so am I correct in assuming that the next place I need to go is down that hole in Majula?

klee123

After getting the platinum, I decided to load up Dark Souls 2 on PS3 and besides the massive downgrade from the PS4 version lol, the enemy placements overall are what I consider easier.

No man's wharf, though is a lot more tricky since there's no shortcut.

rightstone
C
ove
T
seldora
and made it through past the boss without dying. Craftsman's Hammer is just too good, and also the boss is stupid easy.

rimal
B
onfires
, so am I correct in assuming that the next place I need to go is down that hole in Majula?

Yep, also, make sure you bring enough anti poison items and flame butterflies. It'll help you a lot when traversing through the gutter and the black gulch.

_h8bit

Banned
rightstone
C
ove
T
seldora

rimal
B
onfires

You betcha

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well, got through The Gutter and Black Gulch. They weren't so bad, I died two times from failing to make a jump but made it through unscathed otherwise. The enemies and statues aren't so bad as long as you take your time to make it through slowly and carefully. Next time I do this area I'll probably carry a torch around, but it's doable without one. Boss was pretty easy too.

Now I'm at D
rangleic
C
astle
, and I can already tell this area is more difficult than the last few areas I've gone through. I already died twice in the lead up to the first bonfire. I'm gonna set this aside for another day as I'm Dark Souls-ed out.

Pursuer down!

Didn't have a clue about the
ballista
until after.

Oh well.

Edit: So I've killed the first two bosses now I'm unsure of where to go next. I made it to the soldiers rest bonfire and killed the
invader
there.

It seems to be a dead end though.

Pursuer down!

ballista
until after.

Oh well.

Edit: So I've killed the first two bosses now I'm unsure of where to go next. I made it to the soldiers rest bonfire and killed the
invader
there.

It is a dead end.

Either go back to Majula and
look for another way, usually you wanna do Heidi's tower right about now. The path goes through some cave like structure.

Or go past the place where
you killed the pursuer. You will find a birds nest with a button prompt.

2AdEPT

Pursuer down!

ballista
until after.

Oh well.

invader
there.

If its the same now as it used to be at original launch you have two options. 1.) Look harder around the post pursuer area, there is a speacial portal spot around the area. 2.) Go back to Majula. There are actually two more ways to go at the start of the game from Majula. There is one more way to go to make four total but you wont be able to go further on the fourth until you progress a bit further in the game.

MG310

Poor Rat Covenant guy. Wasted a whole bunch of Corrosive Urns, didn't break any of my equpment, backed up to heal and got hit by one of the trap axes before his heal could finish.

Ferr986

Been helping with the final bosses. Almost no one had
Aldia
unlocked :( Shame, like to fight him with dat music.

Bellbros is desertic at SM 1.5-1.75M tier, same as overall invasions :(

Beat the game! No new ending for me. Think I forgot to do something.

Anyway, I loved this game. As I stated before, DS1 felt like a chore at times for me. There were places in that game where I would spend days. DS2? Not so much. Maybe it was because I better understand how to play the game now.... Having said that, I enjoyed this one more than DS1. Looking forward to the DLC and then NG+.

Additionally...... In the two Souls games that I've played, I've never "casted" anything. Not pyro, hex, spell, nothing. I'd like to try for the DLC. Now that I know what weapons and fighting/armour styles I like, I want to use a soul vessel. I'm going to be able to drastically alter my character, as I don't need to have such high str and such now. Whenever I summoned somebody for assistance, they'd shoot blue things. Forgive me but I have no idea what it is. How do I make my character to do that, and what spells do I use? Thanks.

Beat the game! No new ending for me. Think I forgot to do something.

Anyway, I loved this game. As I stated before, DS1 felt like a chore at times for me. There were places in that game where I would spend days. DS2? Not so much. Maybe it was because I better understand how to play the game now.... Having said that, I enjoyed this one more than DS1. Looking forward to the DLC and then NG+.

Additionally...... In the two Souls games that I've played, I've never "casted" anything. Not pyro, hex, spell, nothing. I'd like to try for the DLC. Now that I know what weapons and fighting/armour styles I like, I want to use a soul vessel. I'm going to be able to drastically alter my character, as I don't need to have such high str and such now. Whenever I summoned somebody for assistance, they'd shoot blue things. Forgive me but I have no idea what it is. How do I make my character to do that, and what spells do I use? Thanks.
Could be soul arrow, greater soul arrow, heavy soul arrow, soul spear. Most of the spells are "blue things" even soul geyser.

1) buy the spells
2) get a staff - upgrade/infuse it - Staff of Wisdom is the best for straight spells. I like the archdrake staff/chime combo at the beginning for soul arrows, soul spears, great resonant soul and that orb hex.
3) get the hexers hood
4) Lion mage outfit - even if it looks like shit.
5) check on reddit for the best sorcerers guide and follow that, it's realy good. they will tell you what rings you need, what spells you need and mix and match from there.

When i had my seriously hardcore fuck off mage on DKS2 on PS3 - i had the Magic Staff of Wisdom +10 in my left hand and the Magic Bluemoon greatsword in my right hand. No need for shield at all with that build it's absolutely awesome.

Audioboxer

Let's see if complaining to the NeoGAF gaming gods will help, as it does so often.

4 x heide sword
2 x heide great helm
3 x heide gauntlets
2 x heide leggings
1 x heide spear

0 x heide chest piece

Damn Heide knights.

Last night I decided to create a Ryu-esque character for fun with a Caestus in each hand. Wow you have to play this game differently now. It is like I am playing full on Bloodborne now.

Kevyt

Was the game patched or something? The game feels different. I'm doing PVP and it just feels different. I haven't played in four days...

Edit: My casting speed is much slower and my character feels heavier all of a sudden even at 32% equip load.

Audioboxer

lol... Just had 3 blacksteel katanas drop on one run through Iron Keep. Don't even need one on this character. Farmed for about 45 mins on another character for one.

Gotta love the RNG sometimes.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the help. Do you think it would be wiser to use the soul vessel and respec, then go into NG+ using a build like this, or just create a new character and start over?

Kind of depends on what you want I guess. Do you want your main to be a sorcerer or do you want to have multiple characters, one of which is a sorcerer? If all you ever want is a sorcerer as your main then go ahead and respec.

klee123

Chances are you'll want to respec to meleefor the dlc though.

A lot of enemies in the dlc have high resistance to magic.

Last night I decided to create a Ryu-esque character for fun with a Caestus in each hand. Wow you have to play this game differently now. It is like I am playing full on Bloodborne now.

Wait till you get the Bone Fist from the Ivory King dlc. You can do fireballs, dragon punches and flying kicks!

I just got to no man's wharf. Is it worth going slowly and lighting each torch so when I finally make a run through I won't need to use my torch and can have my shield up?

The pharros stone? I don't think I want to waste one and from what I saw it really wasn't that effective.

Yeah that's it. I had a bunch of pharros stones when I did it. It worked well for those monkey spider things. It's not necessary, but it helped me.

While playing Crown of the Ivory King last night....... I lost 120k souls. I threw my controller. It broke. I'm sad.

Kevyt

Was the game patched or something? The game feels different. I'm doing PVP and it just feels different. I haven't played in four days...

Edit: My casting speed is much slower and my character feels heavier all of a sudden even at 32% equip load.

It seems that for some reason my other ring increasing casting speed wasn't equipped.

Anyways, 100+ hours into the game, Soul level 230, soul memory 8 million+ having finished the game, parts of DLC and I think I am done with this game. I can still do pvp, but I feel like it's not that fun at that high of a level. Either my opponents have crazy resistance or I'm killing my opponents in three hits.

The DLC seems very bogus as I have said, especially if you are a sorceror. Every damn enemy NPC has ridiculously high magic resistance. I won't even bother with the DLC.

Fun game but forgettable nonetheless. It doesn't have the same charm as Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

I'm really not liking how far they have nerfed all casters. It's really annoying. Now I find out the dlc is created to favour melee fighters?

The fact that I have zero armour and a crap melee weapon should be a disadvantage enough in being a caster, but it sucks that unless you are a seriously high level that spells just don't do great damage anymore.

I'm about 13 hours in now and just beat the skeleton lords, but it's just not as fun being a caster as it used to be.

Kevyt

I'm really not liking how far they have nerfed all casters. It's really annoying. Now I find out the dlc is created to favour melee fighters?

The fact that I have zero armour and a crap melee weapon should be a disadvantage enough in being a caster, but it sucks that unless you are a seriously high level that spells just don't do great damage anymore.

I'm about 13 hours in now and just beat the skeleton lords, but it's just not as fun being a caster as it used to be.

It gets worse when you get to the DLC parts like Crown of the Old Sunken King. Crystal Soul Spear with 64 intelligence and a fully upgraded staff of wisdom does less than 200 on enemy NPC's.

It gets worse when you get to the DLC parts like Crown of the Old Sunken King. Crystal Soul Spear with 64 intelligence and a fully upgraded staff of wisdom does less than 200 on enemy NPC's.
Ok so that is just fucked. What am I supposed to do then? Use the soul vessel, respec and play a melee character for the dlc missions at the end?

Kevyt

Ok so that is just fucked. What am I supposed to do then? Use the soul vessel, respec and play a melee character for the dlc missions at the end?

You could. I decided to keep my stats as they were because of pvp. I checked the wikis and saw that almost all the enemies in the DLC parts have high magic, dark, lightning and fire resistance. I was pretty much overwhelmed by the amount of enemies you can encounter in an area, especially as a sorceror who needs space to cast. I decided to infuse a twinblade with magic, and I managed to beat the crown of the old sunken king without much difficulty. Melee is much better. Long weapons that can hit multiple enemies are recommended. Light equipment load too and rolling is your best bet. There's just no way you can block attacks from up to five enemies so I decided to not use a shield. I had a bandits axe magic infused +10 and a twinblade magic infused +10 and was able to defeat most enemies with two hits. It was weird considering that half my damage came from magic.

Damn that sucks. I had another character on dark souls 2 on ps3 that would be fun but he was a lightning faith based character and that build has been totally downgraded as well.

I really don't know what a good build is anymore since they seem to keep neutering anything which stands out.

Does anyone use the dual mundane avelyns anymore?

I went with a Str build with a bit of Dex. Bandit Axe+10, Halberd+10, Royal Kite Shield, composite bow+10 with lightning got me through the entire game. I two hit most of the bigger enemies, and single everything else. Feels a bit OP to me. I dabbled with some other weapons (a few boss weapons, the Dragon Tooth is a monster, but I like smaller, faster weapons better. I'm currently messing around with the Ice Rapier, which I like).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've been running Craftsman's Hammer for the last God knows how many hours. I've only been able to get it to +4 but it pretty much wrecks everything. Only downside is its reach, but I can manage with some smart rolling.

Adam Blue

BB got me into this series, beat Dark Souls this month, now on DS2.

Level 50, primarily str, 30, with vit and end at 20. I have a +5 fire longsword but not sure if I want that for the rest of the game. I did the Zwei all of DS, but not sure if STR is as good in DS2. It just feels different.

Yeah I've been running Craftsman's Hammer for the last God knows how many hours. I've only been able to get it to +4 but it pretty much wrecks everything. Only downside is its reach, but I can manage with some smart rolling.

yeah its kind of annoying in a way, theres no badass looking version of the hammers.

Hey everyone I finally bought this during the PSN sale and so far it's pretty good!

Now, is it just me or are the bosses piss easy? I am coming from demon souls and dark souls, and have recently finished bloodborne, so I guess I have finally gotten gud?

I have some questions, I have never played this game so please bear with me.

If I want the exact same amount of iframes that DS1 had, I should upgrade my agility to 100 right? Is it worth it going over this number?

I have found one dull ember, however the smith won't take it. I'm guessing it should be given to someone else, but to whom?

I am trying a DEX build with rapiers since Bloodborne spoiled me with fast combat and I am loving it so far, however, I have no idea which armour would be best for this kind of build? It will mainly be PVE, until NG+ where I heard I can respec.

So vigor and vitality both have an effect on HP, one more so than the other, on the other hand the other allows for more things to be carried, in general, how much would you recommend for equipment load???

Dual wielding: are there any special combos or movesets available to me other than 2 handing one weapon? (akin to bloodborne)

Also finally, is anyone else disconnecting every 5 minutes on PS4???? My connection isn't the best but I play TLOU, BF4, Bloodborne and MKX with no problems.

BTW, DS2 is an amazing game so far, mind you, it's no DS1 but still undeserving of the blind hate I've seen from "fans" of From.

klee123

Pretty much what I did.

Respeced to a STR and DEX build and pretty much stuck to the Estoc+10 and Black Knights Greatsword +5 and walked through the dlcs.

Rapiers are so effective in the dlc. It even makes the Fume knight boss battle much easier.

Hey everyone I finally bought this during the PSN sale and so far it's pretty good!

Now, is it just me or are the bosses piss easy? I am coming from demon souls and dark souls, and have recently finished bloodborne, so I guess I have finally gotten gud?

The bosses in Dark Souls 2 are definitely easier than the other games. In fact that times, the regular enemy encounters are more difficult due to the games designers loving to make the regular mobs gank at you.

If I want the exact same amount of iframes that DS1 had, I should upgrade my agility to 100 right? Is it worth it going over this number?

Yeah, anything over 100 in agility is ideal, especially if you're going dual handed melee which means you'll be dodging a lot.

I have found one dull ember, however the smith won't take it. I'm guessing it should be given to someone else, but to whom?

You need to give it to Blacksmith McDuff located in the same area. When you reach to the long staircase which leads down 2 dogs and a gate just before that is actually a breakable wall which reveals a bonfire and access to the second blacksmith McDuff. To get access you need to push the exploding barrel from the top of the staircase down to the botton and make sure it hits the wall. You may have to do it once or twice to get it right.

I am trying a DEX build with rapiers since Bloodborne spoiled me with fast combat and I am loving it so far, however, I have no idea which armour would be best for this kind of build? It will mainly be PVE, until NG+ where I heard I can respec.

With rapiers, it's more ideal to go for light armor since rapiers don't really benefit from tank builds.

So vigor and vitality both have an effect on HP, one more so than the other, on the other hand the other allows for more things to be carried, in general, how much would you recommend for equipment load???

Generally you want the load to be less than 50% if you're not using a shield and below 65% if you're using one. Anything over 65% and you'll be doing fat evasive rolls which is not ideal in any situation.

Dual wielding: are there any special combos or movesets available to me other than 2 handing one weapon? (akin to bloodborne)

There are powerstances where if you dual weild two weapons of similar class and have 1.5x of the required stats of the weapons you can unlock some unique skills.

This page should explain it better: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Power+Stance

Also finally, is anyone else disconnecting every 5 minutes on PS4???? My connection isn't the best but I play TLOU, BF4, Bloodborne and MKX with no problems.

Hmm don't really have that issue, but sorry to hear that.

gogosox82

Damn that sucks. I had another character on dark souls 2 on ps3 that would be fun but he was a lightning faith based character and that build has been totally downgraded as well.

I really don't know what a good build is anymore since they seem to keep neutering anything which stands out.

Does anyone use the dual mundane avelyns anymore?

Avelyns got nerfed pretty hard iirc. You can't go wrong with a 40/40 build (40 str and 40 dex). You can always just use a resin if you want some elemental damage and your damage won't suck b/c from decided to nerf something unless they nerf the weapon your using but then just get a weapon that does similar damage and your good.

Xiraiya

Well after doing all kinds of research and trying different failed methods, I have successfully transplanted my character's look from DS2 to Scholars.

srwHBf.png

This was the character I had in regular DS2.

VUwWEK.png

Scholars Version.

There are a few minor differences just because the sliders aren't always completely reliable even if they're set exactly the same and I decided to shift a few things slightly, but basically it's the same character and look.

The only downside is DSR seems to not...do anything and Gedosato doesn't work for Scholars, so I can't do anything about the shitty lack of AA.

Tarkus

Avelyns got nerfed pretty hard iirc. You can't go wrong with a 40/40 build (40 str and 40 dex). You can always just use a resin if you want some elemental damage and your damage won't suck b/c from decided to nerf something unless they nerf the weapon your using but then just get a weapon that does similar damage and your good.
50/30 is more versatile in this game imo

EUA

did anyone here beat the dlc on their sl1 run?

I reached Elana and i got no idea how to end her miserable existence. I can deal with her but this fucking moron keeps showing up.

Using a longsword +10. Or a mace +10.

Blocking is not an option and neither is rolling through their attacks.

Maybe somebody could clear things up for me. Simpleton's ring highlights the i-frames? In other words, am i invincible when i'm invisible or not?

gogosox82

50/30 is more versatile in this game imo

Probably but I like to power stance certain weapons (either two warped swords or two richards rapiers) and I need 40 dex to power stance with them. You only need 37 dex to do it but I usually just up it to 40 to give me a nice round number.

i just realised - i have never done a guard break and i never knew they existed. Where in the game does it tell you how to do it?

Also, i understand that pressing triangle makes you 2 hand your weapon - is that the same as power stance because i havent seen that explained either.

Top Bottom