• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I noticed I can remove about 50% of Pursuer's health during his "appearance" animation everytime he pops up in The Lost Bastille. Heh, never discovered that with my first char.

Loving my 2nd, "real" character: I am wearing almost full suit od Dranlegic Armor (incl. Shield) and still have <50% encumberance. Plus my Mace +5 of course :)

Only two bosses so far (Last Giant, Pursuer) and I already discovered a new thing this time: the door to Soldier's Rest in TFOTLG. I was very scared and sad when the old merchant lady disappeared :( I only discovered her back in Majula like 3 hours later :/

Tonight I gonna kill the Armours in The Lost Bastille and finally get my first staff. Can't friggin wait.

Audioboxer

Just for fun as I don't pvp I tried to make it to straid with 30k soul memory. Managed 30,300. It's for the agape ring. At least I can control my SM from really early on, especially when farming.

Did From REALLY make the enemy that drops the Red Lion Warrior Cape a one-time-only spawn? That stupid cape already had such a low drop rate, why the hell would they do this?

My fashion is ruined!

rhandino

Banned
Can't believe how easy is the game using Sorcery + Ricard Rapier, I am 34 hours with this new character and recently got the
Ashen Mist Heart.

Sorcery feel soooo good after my Dual wielding playtrough.

Can someone help me. I just bought this game and installed it. I'm trying to get to the first area and everywhere is blocked off saying "cannot pass"

I downloaded all 13gb and installed it but I have no idea why I can't actually go anywhere yet? This is on ps4.

Ferr986

Seems like I fucked it up turning my Uchu+10 to Fire. It does shit damage even with Flame Weapon on.
I wanted to have this weapon for the buff but the damage is around the same with fire+buff and the regular one (and both below regular Chaos Blade)

BizzyBum

When should one tackle the DLC? It seems like no matter how built up my character is, the enemies are still a bitch in them.

I started them at SL 150 after completing the main story. But yeah, no matter what the enemies are pretty tough.

Avoid the Frigid Outkirts. lol

Neoweee

Seems like I fucked it up turning my Uchu+10 to Fire. It does shit damage even with Flame Weapon on.
I wanted to have this weapon for the buff but the damage is around the same with fire+buff and the regular one (and both below regular Chaos Blade)

You can clear the enchantment.

Fire/Lightning/Dark/Magic increase the base damage but nerf the scaling, so if you have high-ish stats it may do less damage generally.

Ferr986

You can clear the enchantment.

Fire/Lightning/Dark/Magic increase the base damage but nerf the scaling, so if you have high-ish stats it may do less damage generally.

Yes I could do that. It just that it feels like a waste now having Flame Weapon.

pringles

When should one tackle the DLC? It seems like no matter how built up my character is, the enemies are still a bitch in them.
It seemed really difficult to me too until I reached about SL140-150. Still a good challenge though.

Yeah, he's very easy when you acquire all 5 Giant Souls, too.
Ancient Dragon
is indeed a bitch to kill, though.
AD kicked my ass in the 360 version. Died so many times the enemies on the way to him despawned. That was with a strength build, high armor and shield.

This time I'm playing a DEX build. Low equip%, only two-handing or dual-wielding. I have seen the light basically. For AD I unequipped all my armor (good stuff together with Flynn's Ring) and somehow I solo'd him on the first attempt.

The 2nd time you fight the bosses they are so easy... Ruin Sentinels, Dragonrider, Scorpioness all died on the first try with me having only 2 Estus Flasks vs having 6 before.

Finally got my very first staff - the Bone Staff. Upgraded my INT to be able to wield it (20) and now I am rocking the following melee-sorcerer build:

- Mace +6
- Bone Staff +3
- Drangleic Armor +2
- Drangleic Leggins
- Drangleic Gloves
- Drangleic Shield
- the Hood that gives you higher item drop rate

All with 49.7% encumberance, yessssssss. (my VIT is insane, lol)

For trash ranged mobs I just switch to the Bone Staff and Soul Arrow the fuck out of them. It also helped with the Dark Priest boss in the Cathedral - I killed him from afar after taking care of the trash in the room.

God I love this game. I do not want it to end. FUCK THE SPIDERS, tho.

Does anyone know how to tell if the dlc has downloaded? As I understand, I'm supposed to have keys in my inventory after I bought the game. Nothing is there. Before I go further or return this buggy mess is it supposed to be like this or should I uninstall and reinstall it?

Does anyone know how to tell if the dlc has downloaded? As I understand, I'm supposed to have keys in my inventory after I bought the game. Nothing is there. Before I go further or return this buggy mess is it supposed to be like this or should I uninstall and reinstall it?

In Scholar of the First Sin you have to find these keys.

Isn't the DLC supposed to be on the disc with this version of the game ?

edit: nevermind

Kaibutsu

Loving my 2nd, "real" character: I am wearing almost full suit od Dranlegic Armor (incl. Shield) and still have <50% encumberance. Plus my Mace +5 of course :)

Wow, how did you manage that? Are you min/maxing your stats and putting everything into vitality? I'm constantly at around 77% with my full Drangleic gear and Heide Knight helmet...

rhandino

Banned
Wow, how did you manage that? Are you min/maxing your stats and putting everything into vitality? I'm constantly at around 77% with my full Drangleic gear and Heide Knight helmet...
Maybe hes using the Royal Soldier ring that reduces Equipment Load... one of them is in
No-Man's Wharf
and the 2nd in
Drangleic Castle

Oh, it seems you resolved the problem with the fog gate that didn't allow you to progress. Good =D

(Please tell me you didn't need to re-download the game T_T)
Yep I left it downloading over night and when I started the game it said "path opened".

I just realised how underpowered a caster is at the start. I also realised how much I hate the hollow mechanic as compared to bloodborne :/

I think going back to this even at the new resolution and frame rate shows how much better bloodborne is.

I got a Soldier Ring? it decreases encumberance.

Other than that I got barebones other stats (12 Health, 12 Stamina) and enough STR to wear the stuff I want. Getting 20 INT was a pain in the ass. VIT is around 38, heh.

But now I can put everything into STR, Health and Stamina. Good times ahead! I love my character. Such a beast with the Mace.

Ferr986

Question about
Dragon
Shrine:

I see the dragon dudes are bros now. But I wonder, will I be attacked by them if I get the egg for the covenant?

Also, was there always that BIG skip at the bonfire in the Aerie before?o_o

Kaibutsu

So i've been putting points into Adaptability recently, I think i'm up to 15 on that and I'm going straight strength build. Is it pointless for me to continue putting points into this?

rhandino

Banned
Yep I left it downloading over night and when I started the game it said "path opened".
Oh, I c, I have very low download speed and when I get my own PS4 I will dread to have to download the game all over again T_T

I just realised how underpowered a caster is at the start. I also realised how much I hate the hollow mechanic as compared to bloodborne :/

I think going back to this even at the new resolution and frame rate shows how much better bloodborne is.

I c, yeah the mages are REALLY weak at the start since you need to invest a lot of levels to get the ability to use something other than the dagger =/

Don't worry, from memory some of the areas in the PS4 version look much better than the ones in the original, I was pleasantly surprised at the changes on the interior of
Drangleic Castle
and the
Undead Crypt

And yeah, Bloodborne world really is something else and even when I love this game so much I can't deny that the parts that were rushed are really noticeable... hopefully Dark Souls 3 can have the level of attention and time that BB received =D

ive just realised that guy who has the lightning sword is no longer there. And there are about 20 guys in that area in the Forrest of the Fallen Giants that make that place not fun at all.

Does the thing still happen that if you kill enemies enough times they disappear for good?

Ive also forgotten - is the Pharros Lockstone area behind the ballista's worth it? 4000 souls is a lot to save at this early in the game.

Edit: yeah damn, stamina ring and titanite slab.

Vitten

So i've been putting points into Adaptability recently, I think i'm up to 15 on that and I'm going straight strength build. Is it pointless for me to continue putting points into this?

Definitely not ! It's one of the best stats to level up if you don't want to rely on shields all the time and instead want to dodge stuff with rolls ( best way to play a Souls game anyway) .
Keep leveling up Adp until your agility is around 105 and you can roll through pretty much every attack without getting hit if you time it right.

God damn the Gargoyles. They fuck me up. I just don't have a proper strategy for them. I can run around them (even 3 at the same time) for some time but just can't time the openings to attack them and little by little they hack my health away. Then I ran out of Estus and it's game over. God damn the Gargoyles. I think I need to kill them ASAP as they unstone even taking one or two hits there, just to not get gangnabged minutes later.

Total Maneater flashback, tho. LOVE THIS GAME.

I think I will come back to them later, I still do not have Mace +8 which I had last time at this moment.

Sinner's Rise... yeah no. Fuck this area.

It's crazy how non-linear this game is. It blows my fucking mind. I have the following available:

- Sinner's Rise (fuck it, Jesus)
- whole Shaded Woods (only killed the Scorpioness running past every enemy and treasure)
- whole No-Man's Wharf
- fucking Gargoyles in the Belfry
- not to mention all the places with Stone Statues but I have to find a way to unstone them first of course :) (NO SPOILERS PLEASE, I assume this will be some Miracle)

This game is easily 10/10 for me. Best *fun* I had since Mass Effect 2.

elfinke

God damn the Gargoyles. They fuck me up. I just don't have a proper strategy for them. I can run around them (even 3 at the same time) for some time but just can't time the openings to attack them and little by little they hack my health away. Then I ran out of Estus and it's game over. God damn the Gargoyles. I think I need to kill them ASAP as they unstone even taking one or two hits there, just to not get gangnabged minutes later.

I really enjoy this fight, as it is a pure DPS race as far as I'm concerned. I mean, you can make the fight much much easier if you have one or two friends with you, but if solo, it is all about DPS.

Forget defence and just swing/cast as hard and as fast you can and you;ll win the fight easily.

Otherwise, yeah, it can turn into a real clusterfuck, lol.

I really enjoy this fight, as it is a pure DPS race as far as I'm concerned. I mean, you can make the fight much much easier if you have one or two friends with you, but if solo, it is all about DPS.

Forget defence and just swing/cast as hard and as fast you can and you;ll win the fight easily.

Otherwise, yeah, it can turn into a real clusterfuck, lol.

Exactly what I was thinking about in the office now (cannot play the game yet I am thinking about the boss battle all day, lol). I need to kill them ASAP so this is a DPS/ Stamina race. Kill one, heal, run to the next one, kill it, heal, repeat etc.

I know I have to eat some hits just to kill this one current motherfucker ASAP before moving to the second one.

It is a great boss fight. At least From put some barricades so you cannot roll out and fall to your death (Maneater flashback!).

And yeah I am soloing the game.

Ferr986

Reached SL 130. Thinking about stopping here . Is this a good SL for the DLC? I heard it's the hardest content, but I don't want to go too high. I like to help people on the latter stages of regular NG. SM 1,3ish M btw.

elfinke

Reached SL 130. Thinking about stopping here . Is this a good SL for the DLC? I heard it's the hardest content, but I don't want to go too high. I like to help people on the latter stages of regular NG. SM 1,3ish M btw.

I stopped at SL120 and blew through all the content no worries, though I did tinker with a few respecs until I found something that felt nice (turned out to be more defensive poise and much more offensive poise breaking ability).

Ferr986

I stopped at SL120 and blew through all the content no worries, though I did tinker with a few respecs until I found something that felt nice (turned out to be more defensive poise and much more offensive poise breaking ability).

Thanks! that's good to know.

Honestly, right now I would have liked to stop at 120 too.

I had the mindset about capping at 150 at first but I realized the extra levels wouldn't benefit me much and I don't want to get my SM too high.

elfinke

Thanks! that's good to know.

Honestly, right now I would have liked to stop at 120 too.

I had the mindset about capping at 150 at first but I realized the extra levels wouldn't benefit me much and I don't want to get my SM too high.

Fair enough. My SM is something like 3.5 or 4mil. I didn't realise there was a way to cap it, and then once I found out I decided I didn't care, lol. But it did make for some tough PvP for awhile!

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Could you guys help me out with some basics ?
Just started playing this after playing Bloodborne and I'm feeling lost. The mechanics seem more confusing.

Estus Flask - At the beginning is just one charge until I rest on a bonfire ?
How do i summon other players to help me out with the bosses ?
Some regular skeletons stopped respawning in their regular places. Why ?
I don't know what the other options, besides travel, on the bonfire are for. o_O
My life get shorter each time I die and don't become human ?

Just trying get used to the game. So hard and confusing, yet so beautiful and addictive.
Thanks.

Neoweee

Could you guys help me out with some basics ?
Just started playing this after playing Bloodborne and I'm feeling lost. The mechanics seem more confusing.

Estus Flask - At the beginning is just one charge until I rest on a bonfire ?
How do i summon other players to help me out with the bosses ?
Some regular skeletons stopped respawning in their regular places. Why ?
I don't know what the other options, besides travel, on the bonfire are for. o_O
My life get shorter each time I die and don't become human ?

Just trying get used to the game. So hard and confusing, yet so beautiful and addictive.
Thanks.

There is an extra Estus charge you can find in town. Enemies respawn a limited number of times unless you are in the hard mode covenant. Life reduction on death stops at 50%. A ring you can get very soon changes that to 75%. Using a Human Effigy brings you back to 100%. Your max health needs to be 100% to see summon signs.

JackelZXA

The SL caps people came up with DON'T make sense for DS2. there's no SL matching, and the stats spread is such that the logic doesn't follow from what DS1 did. It was an early, half-baked decision "because that's how we did it before so just do it again, right?" that only favors certain builds over others (150 does not leave all weapons viable) So just level up continuously. Who cares? There's no mechanic around it anymore and they split up most of the stats anyways.

As for when to play the DLC, do the first 4 bonfires, then the endgame, then before throne of want do the 3 dlc's. (As a bonus: Wait until you get all 4 crowns and then do the optional super hard areas like frigid outskirts. It helps alot) THEN do throne of want and beat the game. (Additionally, doing ivory crown first actually makes more sense with alsanna's dialog and the boss difficulty flow, it also starts you off with the most visually interesting area, ignoring the optional bosses of the dlc's, obviously)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
There is an extra Estus charge you can find in town. Enemies respawn a limited number of times unless you are in the hard mode covenant. Life reduction on death stops at 50%. A ring you can get very soon changes that to 75%. Using a Human Effigy brings you back to 100%. Your max health needs to be 100% to see summon signs.

So all this regular enemies on each map, if I kill them too many times they just won't appear anymore ?

I don't need to use any item to summon other players, like in Bloodborne ? Just find a summon sign ?
Any other benefit been in human form ?

Thanks a lot man !!

Ferr986

The SM caps people came up with DON'T make sense for DS2. there's no SM matching, and the stats spread is such that the logic doesn't follow from what DS1 did. It was an early, half-baked decision "because that's how we did it before so just do it again, right?" that only favors certain builds over others (150 does not leave all weapons viable) So just level up continuously. Who cares? There's no mechanic around it anymore and they split up most of the stats anyways.

As for when to play the DLC, do the first 4 bonfires, then the endgame, then before throne of want do the 3 dlc's. (As a bonus: Wait until you get all 4 crowns and then do the optional super hard areas like frigid outskirts. It helps alot) THEN do throne of want and beat the game.

As far as I know matchmaking is done only via SM, ignoring SL (unless you're in a Covenant PvP arena).
I'm mostly worried about capping my SM than my SL, but of course my SM keeps increasing no matter if I level up or not unless I use the Agape ring, so I have to stop leveling too.

I know I'll still find people at way higher SM's, Its just that, as for know, I want to keep my game at that kind of level. I already played till NG++ on vanilla (without the DLCs) so I'm not interested in that yet.

Thanks for the heads up about the DLC btw, I just have the Throne so today I'll start the DLC.

So all this regular enemies on each map, if I kill them too many times they just won't appear anymore ?

I don't need to use any item to summon other players, like in Bloodborne ? Just find a summon sign ?
Any other benefit been in human form ?

Thanks a lot man !!

Mobs dissapear around after 15 kills I think. Being in the Covenant of Champions erases that. Also, you can use an Asceting to make them reappear at the bonfire, but that makes respawn their NG+ version.

You don't need any item for summoning people, you just need to be in human form. You need an item to be summoned, you get them from a guy in the Forest of the Giants, after the second bonfire.

JackelZXA

As far as I know matchmaking is done only via SM, ignoring SL (unless you're in a Covenant PvP arena).
I'm mostly worried about capping my SM than my SL, but of course my SM keeps increasing no matter if I level up or not unless I use the Agape ring, so I have to stop leveling too.

I know I'll still find people at way higher SM's, Its just that, as for know, I want to keep my game at that kind of level. I already played till NG++ on vanilla (without the DLCs) so I'm not interested in that yet.

Thanks for the heads up about the DLC btw, I just have the Throne so today I'll start the DLC.

Mobs dissapear around after 15 kills I think. Being in the Covenant of Champions erases that. Also, you can use an Asceting to make them reappear at the bonfire, but that makes respawn their NG+ version.

You don't need any item for summoning people, you just need to be in human form. You need an item to be summoned, you get them from a guy in the Forest of the Giants, after the second bonfire.

Sorry, I meant SL in my post, not SM. sl150 doesnt matter at all is what i meant. SM ranges are kind of busted and should have been expanded by a factor of 10.

Aa for capping SM, the way stuff is spread out and theres too many covenants with too many requirements, multiplayer in DS2 is just fundamentally flawed and I don't bother with it anymore unless it just happens in my playthrough.

nortonff

Alright, thx man !!

Ferr986

Sorry, I meant SL in my post, not SM. sl150 doesnt matter at all is what i meant. SM ranges are kind of busted and should have been expanded by a factor of 10.

Aa for capping SM, the way stuff is spread out and theres too many covenants with too many requirements, multiplayer in DS2 is just fundamentally flawed and I don't bother with it anymore unless it just happens in my playthrough.

Oh yeah I agree, the online mode and the SM is so spread and... "messy" that the best way is just to keep going, there's probably people in all SM ranges. I'm just that I'm a little anal on being in the range I want for now lol All would be way easier without SM.

Honestly I was expecting SOFTS to make the SM ranges wider...

JackelZXA

Oh yeah I agree, the online mode and the SM is so spread and... "messy" that the best way is just to keep going, there's probably people in all SM ranges. I'm just that I'm a little anal on being in the range I want for now lol All would be way easier without SM.

Honestly I was expecting SOFTS to make the SM ranges wider...

The orange boxes on the bonfire screen help a bit, but really they should have just not made pvp MORE restrictive. This is the kinda restriction that should only happen before someone lights their first primal bonfire.

About boss order. I feel that moving ivory crown to your first is good for a few reasons. It delays the reveal of "dark queens" in that playthrough (Alsanna warns you of her sisters, so wouldn't it make sense to talk to her while her sisters were still alive?), the ivory king and king's pet are relatively easy compared to the bombastic Sunken Crown bosses and the lone, super hard boss of Iron Crown. (Fume Knight being the last mandatory boss before the throne/challenge bosses feels right)

So tl;dr my recommendation is:
Base Game ~> Pet ~> King ~> Queen ~> Dragon ~> Knight ~> Crowns ~> 4 Challenge Bosses ~> Throne of Want

nortonff

Other quick question: what to do with weak weapons and armors ?

Top Bottom