• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
it's not there anymore.....

i'm on ps4, really desperate.

Ok, not sure how exp you are with the game, but if you know this already I apologize.

Make sure you are human (use an effigy) and not undead. You can't summon NPC's or players to help you if you are undead as the symbols on the ground won't show up.

I'm also on PS4 so let me check my characters and see if I have anyone around that level.

My PS4 gamer tag is in my profile and you can add me as a friend.

you must be human to see signs on floor to summon? đeeze, didn't know...

will add you....there's something about soul memory calculator?

will there always be symbol on the ground before boss?

So I have managed to kill
Sinner, The Rotten, and the Giant Spider in Brightstone.
I have also cleared the areas in between, but despite that I don't know what I am suppose to do next. I feel that I have gone everywhere in the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I have managed to kill I have also cleared the areas in between, but despite that I don't know what I am suppose to do next. I feel that I have gone everywhere in the game.
I swear everyone gets stuck there lol...
Remember Licia, the miracle vendor? If she's still at the Tower of Flame, talk to her there and exhaust all her dialogue. She'll then relocate to that circular area between Majula and Heide's Tower. Pay her 2000 souls to activate the contraption and she'll unlock a new path for you.

I swear everyone gets stuck there lol...
Remember Licia, the miracle vendor? If she's still at the Tower of Flame, talk to her there and exhaust all her dialogue. She'll then relocate to that circular area between Majula and Heide's Tower. Pay her 2000 souls to activate the contraption and she'll unlock a new path for you.

Who the fuck thought people would figure this out?

Yeah, game is just too difficult...i mean it's beautiful and all but without any guidance...

In Bloodborne everything is more easy, more fluid to understand what's your next step.

Dahbomb

Yeah, game is just too difficult...i mean it's beautiful and all but without any guidance...

In Bloodborne everything is more easy, more fluid to understand what's your next step.
If it makes you feel any better... Pursuer is actually one of the harder boss in the game. IMO if you can beat him you can beat most other challenges in the game as he's quicker than most other bosses.

You should explore other areas around Majula, there are many other paths to go to. Level up, get more items then come back to the Pursuer. The key to Pursuer is spacing and dodging a bit late. When he holds his shield up he will do a single power attack where he zones in on you and you need to dodge it (dodge it late) then hit him a couple of times. If he starts his slash fast he will do the 3 hit combo and you should just stay out of range and be ready to dodge the final attack of his combo. The other attack is his blue blade cursee attack, his blade will shine blue. Just back the hell up and punish him when he tries to poke you. Not much to the boss fight, just dodge, attack him a couple of times, stop to regain stamina and reposition and then repeat. Use your shield only for last ditch saves. In fact I would just go two hand mode for more damage (press Triangle).

Make sure you are putting points in agility for bettee dodging I frames and your equipment load is below 70%. That is one of the biggest mistakes people make coming from Bloodborne, they just equip armor with best stats and then their rolls become worse.

Mike M

Nick N
Made pretty good progress tonight, even though I'm still farting around in the forest of Fallen Giants. Giant is down, boosted some stats, leveled up my swords (haven't found anything but trash armor sets yet), did a lot of Jolly Cooperation. There's still the Persuer, who I'm reasonably sure I can get with time, but when each attempt costs me my max HP and effigies aren't exactly easy to come by...

That leaves the part of the fort on the other side of the wall in the swampy tree branch shanty town, whatever's on the other side of that door guarded by that huge knight, and whatever lurks in the salamander's cave. All seems like stuff to tackle later.

I guess there's still some loot in the area outside the fire cave I haven't gotten yet, I could always spend a few deaths trying to jump to those...

So I have the game downsampled at 4K and it looks great. The problem is when I go into some rooms, there are times when my TV stops displaying my computer screen. Is there some settings I need to change to stop this from happening?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Who the fuck thought people would figure this out?
Eh, it was never a problem for me. I guess I just like to explore, I noticed there was path that was locked off at the beginning so I checked there again at some point and since I always exhaust all dialogues from NPCs, Licia was there already.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Made pretty good progress tonight, even though I'm still farting around in the forest of Fallen Giants. Giant is down, boosted some stats, leveled up my swords (haven't found anything but trash armor sets yet), did a lot of Jolly Cooperation. There's still the Persuer, who I'm reasonably sure I can get with time, but when each attempt costs me my max HP and effigies aren't exactly easy to come by...

That leaves the part of the fort on the other side of the wall in the swampy tree branch shanty town, whatever's on the other side of that door guarded by that huge knight, and whatever lurks in the salamander's cave. All seems like stuff to tackle later.

I guess there's still some loot in the area outside the fire cave I haven't gotten yet, I could always spend a few deaths trying to jump to those...

This game is all about the "Never give up" attitude, you will get better, you will get your strategies down, you will win.

FYI: If you help others beat bosses and you survive you will get your humanity back for free.

So how do I beat
the Medusa like boss
in Inner Earthed or whatever it is called? The entire floor is poison and I brought that poison resistant ring but it does nothing. Do I just have to kill her as fast as possible?

Tarkus

So how do I beat
the Medusa like boss
in Inner Earthed or whatever it is called? The entire floor is poison and I brought that poison resistant ring but it does nothing. Do I just have to kill her as fast as possible?
Carry a light source and have a close look at the windmill by the bonfire.
Eh, it was never a problem for me. I guess I just like to explore, I noticed there was path that was locked off at the beginning so I checked there again at some point and since I always exhaust all dialogues from NPCs, Licia was there already.
People skip that area a lot because of fast travel I believe. If you don't recognize that there's another path there people just write it off as a useless connection to Heide's. Why go by foot when you can warp? Grumble grumble fast travel at the beginning of the game.

Mike M

Nick N
This game is all about the "Never give up" attitude, you will get better, you will get your strategies down, you will win.

FYI: If you help others beat bosses and you survive you will get your humanity back for free.
Oh, I'm no stranger to how the Souls games work.

Though I wonder if I leveled myself up outside the co op window that most people are at in the area. Bonfire used to be lousy with summon signs, but it dried up. May have had something to do with how late at night it was, though.

Dahbomb

I actually killed that poison boss the hard way my first time around lmao. Basically just rushed her down while being poisoned and kept using the heal over time items. I did have a poison resistance ring though.

Mike M

Nick N
Cleared out the last of the Forest. Did some co-op in Heide. Lost a ton of souls to the mace knight outside of Dragonrider's room, and promptly fell off a cliff fighting the first knight up the stairs from the bonfire : /

I fucking hate these knights. They're not even that hard, but it's so god damn tiresome to wait for an opening to hit them safely.

I've been watching youtube videos and some user do kill some NPC as

Maughlin the Armourer or Licia of Lindeldt

why?

Licia of Lindeldt
will allow you to access an area of the game after she moves from the Tower of Flame. Not sure what happens if you kill her before you access the area. Assuming there is alternative way as well. You can invade her after she moves from the Tower of Flame with Crushed Eye Orb. In addition you need to kill 3/4 great souls as well. She drops the Soothing Sunlight miracle. I think thats the only way to get that miracle.

I dont believe killing Maughlin the Armourer lets you gain an type of special items.

Buraindo

Licia of Lindeldt
will allow you to access an area of the game after she moves from the Tower of Flame. Not sure what happens if you kill her before you access the area. Assuming there is alternative way as well. You can invade her after she moves from the Tower of Flame with Crushed Eye Orb. In addition you need to kill 3/4 great souls as well. She drops the Soothing Sunlight miracle. I think thats the only way to get that miracle.

I dont believe killing Maughlin the Armourer lets you gain an type of special items.

Maughlin
drops the complete Tseldora set. It's by far the easiest way to get it.

Licia however
will always drop the Rotunda Lockstone whenever she dies but Soothing Sunlight is only a drop if you invade her world with the Crushed Eye Orb.

Maughlin
drops the complete Tseldora set. It's by far the easiest way to get it.

Licia however
will always drop the Rotunda Lockstone whenever she dies but Soothing Sunlight is only a drop if you invade her world with the Crushed Eye Orb.

Ha never knew that :p

buraindo: so what is common sense,
kill them or leave them?

one other question: soul of defeated bosses, do you use them or leave them?

Griss

I dropped this at the
Undead Crypt
to go play Fallout 4, but F4 has been so underwhelming in its first 5/6 hours that I'm considering going back to finish this one off.

So... how far from the end am I? How many hours?

Are the included DLC areas worth playing? How long do they take?

kill them or leave them?

Keep alive until the very end IMO. Just like any other souls items. Look in your inventory to use them. But majority of the bosses souls can be traded for special weapons from a dealer or used to create special weapons as well.

Buraindo

I dropped this at the
Undead Crypt
to go play Fallout 4, but F4 has been so underwhelming in its first 5/6 hours that I'm considering going back to finish this one off.

So... how far from the end am I? How many hours?

Are the included DLC areas worth playing? How long do they take?

You're not too far from the end of the base game.
The expansions are very good and I would highly recommend you play through them. I think they're about 6 hours each more or less, depends on how much you look around.

kill them or leave them?

I rarely kill NPCs, but yeah iRAWRasaurus' advice is spot on.
I suggest trading the boss souls at least the first time through just to see and try new and unique weapons and spells.

I have 3 great souls so far
Iron King, Sinner, and The Rotten
. And while I killed
The Duke's Dear Freja
I did not get a great soul for some reason. What do I do now? I feel that I have been everywhere.

Tarkus

I have 3 great souls so far
Iron King, Sinner, and The Rotten
. And while I killed
The Duke's Dear Freja
I did not get a great soul for some reason. What do I do now? I feel that I have been everywhere.
If you have the Soul of Duke's Dear Freja then you have her great soul. It looks different than the other great souls. Sounds like it's time for the Shrine of Winter.

Hey guys.

My wife picked this up for me a few months ago (Xbox 1). I am ashamed to admit it is still in the plastic wrap.

I enjoyed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls was decent. One of the reasons I have put the game off is that the character build choices are a bit... overwhelming. Is there anyway way to respect in DS2? Am I going to totally mess a character up if I focus on one type of weapon vs another?

I don't want to feel like I am being punished later on in the game because I picked a starting build/focused on a weapon and didn't know any better.

Dahbomb

Hey guys.

My wife picked this up for me a few months ago (Xbox 1). I am ashamed to admit it is still in the plastic wrap.

I enjoyed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls was decent. One of the reasons I have put the game off is that the character build choices are a bit... overwhelming. Is there anyway way to respect in DS2? Am I going to totally mess a character up if I focus on one type of weapon vs another?

I don't want to feel like I am being punished later on in the game because I picked a starting build/focused on a weapon and didn't know any better.
Yeah there's a respec option and upgrade materials are plentiful so you don't have to worry about being punished for going down a specific route.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hey guys.

You can respec in this one. There are some items, in limited numbers (but still quite a few per playthrough, maybe 4-5 of them? and they're even technically farmable), that you can consume to re-allocate your stats. Upgrade materials are also not too bad to obtain, titanite slabs for example are quite more common so you can experiment with various weapons.

But yeah in all those games, most weapons are viable til end-game if upgraded properly (and if pumping the stats that boost their damage of course).

Mike M

Nick N
How do I get that item on the scaffolding across the way from the Cardinal Tower? I tried to jump after I stripped all my equipment and put on the life ring and silver cat ring, but I still went splat : /

Hey guys.

You can respec with an item and paying a fee to an NPC.

Arjen

How do I get that item on the scaffolding across the way from the Cardinal Tower? I tried to jump after I stripped all my equipment and put on the life ring and silver cat ring, but I still went splat : /

You can't get there until much later in the game.

Dahbomb

That's a very late game pick up I believe.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
But I want it nooooooow
2d348fa0a4106ed6af409b4dd72e0915.gif

Mistel

Banned
You can respec in this one. There are some items, in limited numbers (but still quite a few per playthrough, maybe 4-5 of them? and they're even technically farmable), that you can consume to re-allocate your stats.
By the second area you find them you can farm them somewhat easily in early game. There's 6 found in the base and 3 in DLC.

Buraindo

I don't see any other great soul in my inventory.
Freja's Soul doesn't share the same icon as the other Great Souls, it looks the same as any other regular boss'. The actual Great Soul you get from the ground after the fight doesn't get stored in your inventory.

down 2 orth

Does anyone else get sick of chasing after crystal lizards? I hate seeing those things cuz I know I need to get their goodies, but I end up spending forever sometimes running around bashing the shit out of everything with my giant club only to have it squeak by by the length of a skunk's hair.

Do I need to kill that Chariot boss right now in Huntsman Corpse? He's like really hard. The battle isn't really made for Sourcers.

Mike M

Nick N
Maaaaan, I should have gone to the cathedral of blue before taking out the Dragonrider, shouldn't I? Old and Heide Knights at once is no fun : /

Top Bottom