• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Mike M

Nick N
All my previous Souls game runs, I made heavy use of shields, but I'm planning on going straight from DS2 into Bloodborne, so I figure I might be better served to play an agile, shieldless build. Plus, it'd be a new way to play regardless.

Thinking the Explorer might be the best starting class for this, maybe? Second lowest starting Soul Level after Deprived, starts with the highest Adaptability, and all its other stats are pretty balanced. Plus it starts with some Prism Stones I could trade with the crows for stuff.

My biggest concern is starting with a dagger. I'm not used to playing with such a short ranged weapon, low damage weapon outside of back stabs and ripostes (which I'm not particularly adept at), so I think I might be in for a bit of a small early game slog to get to something beefier.

Played a little in Things Betwixt and Majula, still can't decide which starting character and gift is best.

In Things Betwixt there's a statue near one entrance, why?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Played a little in Things Betwixt and Majula, still can't decide which starting character and gift is best.

I don't think there's an optimum choice of starting gift. I usually take a gamble with a Petrified Something.

Have you played Souls games before? It's unusual in that, unless you're min-maxing, choosing a class is more about your starting gear than a life-long commitment. What sort of playstyle do you enjoy most in games?

In Things Betwixt there's a statue near one entrance, why?

Gating that section. I've not done it yet but I assume there are some high level enemies there for us to come back later and pound.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, I'm glad I'm not a completionist. The wall Great Chaos Fireball is gated behind is fucking obscene.

Unless I am utterly and completely misinterpreting something about leveling up that covenant...

Arjen

Man, I'm glad I'm not a completionist. The wall Great Chaos Fireball is gated behind is fucking obscene.

Unless I am utterly and completely misinterpreting something about leveling up that covenant...

Nope, it's utterly insane. You can buy it from wellager in NG++ if you want though.

Dahbomb

Man did they up the darkness in this version? I finished the original Dark Souls 2 and in this places like the Dwarf and Gutter are unplayable without using a torch. I remember the Dwarf used to be fine without a torch but here it's really hard without one.

Any changes to the lighting in this version?

Mike M

Nick N
Got to play for a bit tonight, but didn't get terribly far, only to the Cardinal Tower bonfire in the Forest of Giants to grab the Flame Longsword and enough levels to power stance a pair of daggers. Only died a couple of times, each to botching fights with ogres.

Kinda burning through Lifegems faster than I would like, but otherwise doing fairly okay for trying out a completely different play style than I'm used to.

I have all but the memories and the last boss to deal with in the main game, so I'm doing the DLC areas right now(+/- 26 hours. A couple of those were spent farming Amana for twinkling titanite and Gulch for chunks).

Everything does so much damage. It's kinda ridiculous, even by Souls standards. I just reached the Smelter Demon and I'm getting wrecked in a couple hits. Apparently the DLC bosses delay their swings, so dodging isn't working out for me. I think I might just shield up instead.

I'm having hard time with DS2, how to level up quickly?

I see many youtube videos with DRAGONSLAYER easily fall down from ledge, but I tried 10x times with no luck :(

I bought the upgrade on steam and it looks exactly like vanilla DS2...is this normal? Yes I'm starting SotF I don't even have DS2 installed

So my (only) staff is about to break. Where can I repair it at? I'm at the very begining of the game. I have only beat
Dragonrider
so far and have recently found a different (much easier) path by the main town area.

So my (only) staff is about to break. Where can I repair it at? I'm at the very begining of the game. I have only beat
Dragonrider
so far and have recently found a different (much easier) path by the main town area.

Unless your equipment is actually broken (huge crack appears in front of it in the inventory screens) it repairs instantly when you rest at a bonfire.

If there is a crack, you'll have to see a blacksmith.
You might have met one when you entered Majula. You unlock his place by buying a key from someone you meet early on in the area you're currently in.

I'm playing this game as a sorcerer. Is that making the game too easy? Or is it no more easier/difficult as playing as any other class?

Celegus

Are you an experienced player? I've been playing for 30 hours past week and just finished the Skeleton Lords. Still have to defeat Executioner's Chariot but I'm feeling its going really slow lol.

I played it obsessively for about a month last year when it first came out, but haven't played it since then. It definitely took way longer the first time around, but knowing where to go and how to fight bosses obviously makes a big difference.

Just cleared out the Sunken King area, it was great! Loved the atmosphere and the verticality. The Cave of the Dead at the end was so awesome too. On to the other two!

Man did they up the darkness in this version? I finished the original Dark Souls 2 and in this places like the Dwarf and Gutter are unplayable without using a torch. I remember the Dwarf used to be fine without a torch but here it's really hard without one.

Any changes to the lighting in this version?

I've noticed it too, yeah. I like it way better this way though.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice. I beat the
Dragon Rider before attempting to kill the Guardian Dragon. This now means all the Heide Knights are wandering around as well as the Old Knights
. I am fine, one on one with these, but when a few gang up I get destroyed. What is the best way to deal with crowds? My experience is limited to a little of the original Dark Souls and I have beaten Bloodborne, so pretty new to the series.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice. I beat the
Dragon Rider before attempting to kill the Guardian Dragon. This now means all the Heide Knights are wandering around as well as the Old Knights
. I am fine, one on one with these, but when a few gang up I get destroyed. What is the best way to deal with crowds? My experience is limited to a little of the original Dark Souls and I have beaten Bloodborne, so pretty new to the series.

For crowds you're usually better off looking for a doorway or narrow corridor to funnel them. If you're using a greatsword or another weapon with a wide sweeping attack you could attempt to attack them as a group. Thing is though you need a good amount of poise so that stray hits don't halt your swings.

Unfortunately, the situation you're in is rather particular. Most of the fights in that area are 2-3 vs 1. The big guys ignore attacks, and the smaller guys aren't too fazed by smaller weapons.

To be honest, I think you're better off summoning help, or coming back later on after getting some better equipment.
The other boss is entirely optional, and simply opens the path to another covenant. I believe SotFS added the knights and the dragon to force that area of the game to be more co-op oriented.

Why is so hard to summon for help?

What area are you in?

Celegus

You can usually circle around or funnel the smaller knights to a narrow area to single them out for a few seconds, then just parry (L2) their attacks and stab away. Working on the timing might cause a couple deaths, but they are very easy to parry once you get it, and much easier than trying to sneak hits in since they're very hard to stagger. It is a totally optional area though, so don't go too crazy trying to clear it just yet.

For crowds you're usually better off looking for a doorway or narrow corridor to funnel them. If you're using a greatsword or another weapon with a wide sweeping attack you could attempt to attack them as a group. Thing is though you need a good amount of poise so that stray hits don't halt your swings.

Unfortunately, the situation you're in is rather particular. Most of the fights in that area are 2-3 vs 1. The big guys ignore attacks, and the smaller guys aren't too fazed by smaller weapons.

To be honest, I think you're better off summoning help, or coming back later on after getting some better equipment.
The other boss is entirely optional, and simply opens the path to another covenant. I believe SotFS added the knights and the dragon to force that area of the game to be more co-op oriented.

I did decide to go and try No-Man's Wharf, to try and level up. I had made my way pretty much to the end of that area (I think) and had a decent number of souls amassed. I was caught in two minds whether to return and level up or plough on and risk it. I stupidly ploughed on and got surrounded and died. That put an end to the evening's play session, but I will try again tonight, as like you say, I think I need a some new equipment before trying that part of Heide's Tower again.

You can usually circle around or funnel the smaller knights to a narrow area to single them out for a few seconds, then just parry (L2) their attacks and stab away. Working on the timing might cause a couple deaths, but they are very easy to parry once you get it, and much easier than trying to sneak hits in since they're very hard to stagger. It is a totally optional area though, so don't go too crazy trying to clear it just yet.

I have got the timing down with parrying the Heide Knights, so one on one is OK. It is that area just before the Dragon with the broken staircase. Both the Old Knight and Heide Knight attack at the same time. By the time I have parried the one, the other is attacking. Also, I know exactly what is going to happen. I will clear the area having used all my healing items and the Dragon will kill me. As both of you seem to suggest leaving it a little while and coming back, I am going to go back to No-Man's Wharf.

Pretty sure it's the Chaos Blade (trade NG+/bonfire ascetic'ed Lost Sinner soul to Ornifex).

Alright, I'll look into it. Pretty happy with the blacksteel katana but if I can hurt more I'll take it :p

Als, getting 30 sunlight medal seems a bit tedious... I have a pretty high Soul memory be cause I've farmed 50 Loyce Soul so I guess it'll be harder to find coop now :/

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'll look into it. Pretty happy with the blacksteel katana but if I can hurt more I'll take it :p

Blacksteel is a beaut. My favourite of all the katana. The R2 quick draw comes out quicker after a rolling or running attack (possibly after a backstop attack too) and can be targeted with no lock on. Very useful in PvP.

Cmagus

Is there a way to turn off invasions? I'm not that far into the game but this one guy is literally sitting in my path to move forward and he keep invading my game and one shotting me.

Buraindo

Is there a way to turn off invasions? I'm not that far into the game but this one guy is literally sitting in my path to move forward and he keep invading my game and one shotting me.

Sounds like an NPC. Could you name the exact spot where this happens?
You can temporarily disable invasions by burning an effigy at a bonfire but this won't affect NPC invaders.

Cmagus

Sounds like an NPC. Could you name the exact spot where this happens?
You can temporarily disable invasions by burning an effigy at a bonfire but this won't affect NPC invaders.

The guy is near the Soldiers Rest bonfire. He is just sitting there waiting and sometimes he just waits in the corridor with the skeletons on the way there. I ran from him a few times and went up the ladder in the cardinal tower but he just sits down there and waits which prevents me from using bonfires while someone has invaded. I'll probably just take a break for awhile hopefully if it is a person the get bored and log out lol.

The guy is near the Soldiers Rest bonfire. He is just sitting there waiting and sometimes he just waits in the corridor with the skeletons on the way there. I ran from him a few times and went up the ladder in the cardinal tower but he just sits down there and waits which prevents me from using bonfires while someone has invaded. I'll probably just take a break for awhile hopefully if it is a person the get bored and log out lol.
That's not how invasions work.

That's an NPC. You have to fight him or ignore him.

Buraindo

The guy is near the Soldiers Rest bonfire. He is just sitting there waiting and sometimes he just waits in the corridor with the skeletons on the way there. I ran from him a few times and went up the ladder in the cardinal tower but he just sits down there and waits which prevents me from using bonfires while someone has invaded.

Hmm sounds like
Armorer Dennis
. He can be tough but you should try to roll behind him when he's casting a spell and land a couple of backstabs. Or you can just wait for him to time out and you'll be clear until you use a bonfire again heh.

I can't get past pursuer in forrest.....and have nobody to help.

Are you on PC?

Cmagus

Hmm sounds like
Armorer Dennis
. He can be tough but you should try to roll behind him when he's casting a spell and land a couple of backstabs. Or you can just wait for him to time out and you'll be clear until you use a bonfire again heh.

Yeah it's him and I just killed him. It was frustrating I thought some person was just camping that spot and that area is full of difficult enemies so trying to pay attention to him and the enemies threw me off. Thanks for the help though guys I shall continue on to die some more.

I gotta say I'm finding this game way more difficult than Dark Souls but I feel like this game has a better challenge, like you really need to be on your toes in this one.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I can't get past pursuer in forrest.....and have nobody to help.

Clear the way to the Pursuer, but don't go into the fog. Go down to the room with the skeletons and there is an NPC (Ruined Aflis) on the floor to summon right after you go through the door. Take him with you to the Pursuer and as he grabs the attention of the Pursuer run to the Ballistas and shoot the Pursuer.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, I made no progress at all last night. Got as far as Pate from the Cardinal Tower, but accidentally aggro'd the guys behind the ballistas who all ran out and super murdered me. I had no problem getting that far initially, but ever since then I've been striking out just getting past that one platform with the loot and four soldiers. Somehow on my first attempt I knocked the one throwing firebombs down a level and followed without any problems, but now I can't repeat that same feat without waking the other ones up.

My build so cannot take four guys at once right now...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I made no progress at all last night. Got as far as Pate from the Cardinal Tower, but accidentally aggro'd the guys behind the ballistas who all ran out and super murdered me. I had no problem getting that far initially, but ever since then I've been striking out just getting past that one platform with the loot and four soldiers. Somehow on my first attempt I knocked the one throwing firebombs down a level and followed without any problems, but now I can't repeat that same feat without waking the other ones up.

My build so cannot take four guys at once right now...

Have you
opened the shortcut from the Bonfire to Pate
yet?

Clear the way to the Pursuer, but don't go into the fog. Go down to the room with the skeletons and there is an NPC (Ruined Aflis) on the floor to summon right after you go through the door. Take him with you to the Pursuer and as he grabs the attention of the Pursuer run to the Ballistas and shoot the Pursuer.

it's not there anymore.....

i'm on ps4, really desperate.

Mike M

Nick N
You know
those explosive barrels stacked up against the wall on the way to Pate, guarded by a fire bomb throwing guard, just after the stretch of castle wall with all the junk
...?

Yeah... ;)
Yeah, right before it is where I keep dying : P

Just gonna suicide run it with my fire longsword. Heh.

Top Bottom