• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Buraindo

The fastest way to get effigies: Go to the Iron Keep Threshold Bridge and equip the pyromancy Warmth (you don't need Warmth, but it's courteous). Summon every red sign you see. Stand back in the alcove in the middle and let the phantoms fight each other. You usually won't be attacked unless one of them is a dick but still, you won't lose ANYTHING. With each phantom that dies, you will gain an effigy. Heal the winner with warmth in alcove after each duel. Sometimes the phantom will heal themself with miracles. YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT. There are many people who only play the game, including myself, just for this. You'll have enough effigies to finish the game in no time.

Don't forget to place prism stones all over the bridge. Can't have a fight club without prism stones.

say again? :)
They mean you basically host a fight club for PvPers - you summon red phantoms with their signs you see on the ground, every time a red phantom "invader" dies, the host (you) gets a human effigy and a bunch of Souls.

Are you using the ring of binding which limits the HP decrease you get from dying? If that's what you're using effigies for to keep full HP the ring will help, so will leveling vitality for more HP in the first place.

That's not a bad idea, but you don't always have to be in human form. Unless you specifically want to summon for co-op or something, often it's just easier to not be in human form, especially whilst exploring on your first playthrough - you will die and you will lose souls, it's just the nature of the beast. I would save your effigies for boss fights, maybe not even the first time you face a boss (because you might die quickly), but when you want full health for the boss fight.

Mike M

Nick N
Finally cleared everything out of Huntsman's Copse. Those bosses are some bullshit to solo, holy shit.

What was the item outside Undead Purgatory? I thought it was sublime bone dust, but there was none in my inventory when I went to burn it. Not sure if I'm just mistaken or if the game glitched out and cheated me of an important item...

Mike M

Nick N
I've been getting by restoring humanity by co-oping with other players to kill bosses in their world. Plus, it's pretty good practice.

IbukiLordSA

Bought this while it was on sale 2 weeks back, a week later had the Platinum. Really enjoyed this version compared to DS2 on PS3. Lots of new content to dig into and the changes were enough to make it feel different.

I really liked the spawn places of the Persuer. The additional DLC was great except one of them areas, really didn't like the DLC with the Pyramids and stuff, the bosses where boring and the enemies just didn't do anything for me. Really didn't enjoy that but it was also the last DLC pack I played. The other 2 were great really enjoyed the atmosphere around them.

I usually go with a DEX build but decided early on to go with a duel wielding Greatswords just for fun and really enjoyed it.

RDMjsEV.jpg

Mistel

Banned
so when i did, i just offe summon help? didn't know that.
That's the way the summoning system works covenant rewards and restoration of humanity, refilling of estus, weapons and spell casts replenished for a normal standard summon. Small soapstone shades only get humanity and a silky stone.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's the way the summoning system works covenant rewards and restoration of humanity, refilling of estus, weapons and spell casts replenished for a normal standard summon. Small soapstone shades only get humanity and a silky stone.
Successful small soapstone coop sessions refill estus, spells and repair weapons too. They just don't give a token of fidelity (or sunlight medal).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not sure about that, but what I like about small soapstone is that it's the quickest and easiest way to revive outside of human effigies, usually. As a shade you don't even need to kill a boss, just a couple of mobs for the most part, and you get "Duty Fulfilled".

Mike M

Nick N
Man, I feel like I'm playing this wrong, why do I have access to a merchant with infinite large shards to purchase, but none with regular shards? Makes starting the upgrade process kind of a pain and limits my ability to utilize different move sets when they're so out-classed in damage output.

Mistel

Banned
Man, I feel like I'm playing this wrong, why do I have access to a merchant with infinite large shards to purchase, but none with regular shards? Makes starting the upgrade process kind of a pain and limits my ability to utilize different move sets when they're so out-classed in damage output.
Chloanne post old iron king has infinite titanite of the regular variety so that's where you should be looking. Otherwise just farm steelworkers.

Manu

For being the armor set featured in the game's advertising and promos, it bothers me a bit how long you take to get the Faraam set.

In DS1, you can just rush to Darkroot and get the Elite Knight set in like 20 minutes.

So what's the thing that happens when you light all the torches in the gutter - An invader? It didn't seem that special after being invaded by 3 seemingly randomly named invaders in the Black Gulch, I was expecting something a little more interesting.

why is shaded woods so difficult? and can't summon anyone? + those ghosts who can't be killed? :p
Do you mean the invisible ones with dagger/crossbow? They can be killed - you can't lock on though which is annoying with DS2's wonky movement/combat system.

Whilst on the subject of Shaded Woods - anyone know if they fixed the jump over the wall to the chest (near the hole down to the wheelchair dude) - I'm naked and jumping with L3 but can't get over the wall.

Buraindo

Whilst on the subject of Shaded Woods - anyone know if they fixed the jump over the wall to the chest (near the hole down to the wheelchair dude) - I'm naked and jumping with L3 but can't get over the wall.

Don't think so. Honestly never thought it was meant to be possible since the game uses incredibly low walls as insurmountable obstacles fairly often in that area.

Mistel

Banned
The only ever patched the shrine of winter skip none of the latter skips for the
So what's the thing that happens when you light all the torches in the gutter - An invader?
That's all it is other than the ability to get the black witch set a bit earlier that's it really.

Tarkus

why is shaded woods so difficult? and can't summon anyone? + those ghosts who can't be killed? :p
Try a weapon with nice horizontal attacks. If you don't have one, hug the left wall as you enter the woods until you find a path up a hill. Talk to the merchant in the rock pile and buy a Claymore or Greatsword. Both have good horizontal attacks.

Fhtagn

I am pretty sure I have every base game pyromancy (I just double checked a list) but the trophy didn't pop (I'm in NG++ at the castle.)

This is the only trophy I need for the platinum. All the other spell/miracle/hex trophies popped on just the base game spells. Anyone else have this problem?

PS4 SOTFS version.

Oh FML apparently I need the DLC Pyro? Fuuuuuuu. Going to have to do iron King on NG++ to get the two I ignored in my NG run? At least I already have Outcry.

Arjen

I am pretty sure I have every base game pyromancy (I just double checked a list) but the trophy didn't pop (I'm in NG++ at the castle.)

This is the only trophy I need for the platinum. All the other spell/miracle/hex trophies popped on just the base game spells. Anyone else have this problem?

PS4 SOTFS version.

Oh FML apparently I need the DLC Pyro? Fuuuuuuu. Going to have to do iron King on NG++ to get the two I ignored in my NG run? At least I already have Outcry.

I'm pretty sure you need the DLC spells for the trophy yeah. But if you've come this far that shouldn't be a problem.

Fhtagn

I'm pretty sure you need the DLC spells for the trophy yeah. But if you've come this far that shouldn't be a problem.

It's only a problem because I could have picked them up in my NG run where I did everything in the game and only didn't bother because I was doing a quality build at the time and didn't think they counted; I must have picked up the DLC sorceries, hexes, and miracles along the way.

I'm pretty much ready to be done playing this game for a while having recently finished out the platinum on the PS3 version as well. So being at the moment of victory and then realizing I need to spend a few more hours getting the iron King key and going through about half of the dlc to get two pyromancies I could have just picked up in my NG where I did everything is a bit demoralizing.

Ah well, I'll get hyped up for it. Gonna suicide run more often than usual.

Mistel

Banned
It's only a problem because I could have picked them up in my NG run where I did everything in the game and only didn't bother because I was doing a quality build at the time and didn't think they counted; I must have picked up the DLC sorceries, hexes, and miracles along the way.
You must have as in this version the DLC spells/hexes/miracles are required for the trophies.

Mike M

Nick N
Roflstomped No Man's Wharf. Probably some combination of showing up later than From intended and having played enough Souls games to know all their tricks before they pulled them.

I actually kind of liked the area. The torch gimmick and the monsters afraid of the light were a neat mechanic, and it seemed denser than any other area I've been to thus far. It was the area most reminiscent of DeS or DaS1 to me, but still not quite up to par.

In general, I've noticed a lot of these areas are a bit on the sprawling side, and the shortcuts are more about getting to a boss quicker than opening pathways between entire areas. I'm still liking everything, but Drangleic just isn't as cohesive as Lordran, and that's disappointing.

So I'm running a Spell-casting build.
Aside from spells, my most-trusted weapon is a Magic-infused hand-axe.
My STR and DEX are 9 and 7 respectively. Yep, I have just enough strength to one-hand the axe. It saves me the headache of swapping, and sometimes forgetting that my staff isn't ready when I hit LB.

I'd like a Dark-infused weapon (as a counterpart for the axe), but I'm not sure what I should use.

Fhtagn

You must have as in this version the DLC spells/hexes/miracles are required for the trophies.

I wish I had realized that two weeks ago when I hadn't already gone to NG++; funny that I unintentionally ended up with all the other DLC spells just not the pyro ones.

At least I just need the tower key and scepter and don't have to kill Fume again.

Mistel

Banned
So I'm running a Spell-casting build.
Aside from spells, my most-trusted weapon is a Magic-infused hand-axe.
My STR and DEX are 9 and 7 respectively. Yep, I have just enough strength to one-hand the axe. It saves me the headache of swapping, and sometimes forgetting that my staff isn't ready when I hit LB.

I'd like a Dark-infused weapon (as a counterpart for the axe), but I'm not sure what I should use.
You don't really have much choice unless you want to two hand something as really there's another axe, puzzling stone sword, broken thief sword, dagger, parrying dagger, thief dagger, foot soldier sword, and the broken sword that you can use with those stats one handed. But if you two hand something you've got a larger variety that you can use that'll probably work better.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is the Scythe of Nahr Alma any good for a hexer? What about the Scythe of the Forlorn?

I guess the Scythe of Want is the best, but that's end-game. Wondering if I should farm full moon sickles and infuse them with dark.

I want a druid-like character. ^^ The Great Scythe looks underwhelming compared to the DS1 counterpart.

You don't really have much choice unless you want to two hand something as really there's another axe, puzzling stone sword, broken thief sword, dagger, parrying dagger, thief dagger, foot soldier sword, and the broken sword that you can use with those stats one handed. But if you two hand something you've got a larger variety that you can use that'll probably work better.

Hmm..fair enough. I'll grab the stone sword and if I don't like it I'll just settle for a two-hander.

Thanks.

Mistel

Banned
Is the Scythe of Nahr Alma any good for a hexer? What about the Scythe of the Forlorn?

I guess the Scythe of Want is the best, but that's end-game. Wondering if I should farm full moon sickles and infuse them with dark.

I want a druid-like character. ^^ The Great Scythe looks underwhelming compared to the DS1 counterpart.
With an infusion of bleed it's pretty good better than infusing it with dark same with most of the reapers as they have higher scaling for dark but lower dark damage. They're are pretty good for hexers either with the dark infusion or bleed. The full moon sickles are better for pure bleed stuff or going physical they're good but awfully slow in the power stance stuff.
Hmm..fair enough. I'll grab the stone sword and if I don't like it I'll just settle for a two-hander.

Thanks.
The puzzling stone sword is a trek from where you probably are currently but it is worth it.

Buraindo

I'd advise against using either of the Forlorn weapons. They scale with hollowing and even at 50% they're barely any good.
Great Scythe, Scythe of Want and Bone Scythe are the better weapons of their class, I think.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I forgot about the hollowing scaling. Ugh yeah that sucks.

Guess the Nahr Alma scythe is the best one for a hexer build until I get the Scythe of Want?

Mistel

Banned
Guess the Nahr Alma scythe is the best one for a hexer build until I get the Scythe of Want?
That or a dark bone scythe which is stronger in terms of damage 227/227 with B STR and B dark scaling which is far stronger than the scythe nahr alma scythe is in either normal or dark infusion. You may not like either as they're both use the great scythe moveset same as the scythe of want.

Fhtagn

So, I managed to get halfway through Iron King to pick up th last pyromancy I needed and then warped over to Straid to trade for Outcry, and managed to get my Platinum trophy screenshot to say "Feeble cursed one!" which is deliciously amusing if I say so myself.

Running through the first half of Iron King in NG++ with a moonlight greatsword build reinforced my maybe unpopular opinion that while Iron King has top tier boss fights and a lot of great level design, some of the gauntlet rooms are almost stupidly difficult and encourage cheesing instead of fighting. I used a lot of alluring skulls to just run past enemies in some places because my magic weapons did so little damage to half of what I was supposed to fight.

The room after the second bonfire with the series of gates and lightning ninjas and flame heads feels almost like an NES game in how straight up gamey it feels. The room after the first bonfire with the giant fire spewing club dude is almost impossible to fight through, leading me to just wait around until the barrel dudes eventually blew themselves up against said giant and I picked off the rest with alluring skulls and great soul arrows.

Fume Knight and Sir Alonne are worth the hassle of course.

Just finished DS1 after finishing Bloodborne really early in the year. When do I get more than 1 estus flask? Is healing ever instant? Why does this game's opening suck so much :/

Top Bottom