• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Tarkus

If you liked the Claymore before, then you'll love it in this game. Far better moveset and quite powerful. I'd also recommend a Sun Sword if you've co-op'd enough for 20 seals.

Stay away from elemental upgrades with your low FTH and INT.

Edit: have you found trouble dodging?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
If you liked the Claymore before, then you'll love it in this game. Far better moveset and quite powerful. I'd also recommend a Sun Sword if you've co-op'd enough for 20 seals.

Stay away from elemental upgrades with your low FTH and INT.

Edit: have you found trouble dodging?

Sort of not really? I don't try to roll dodge too much as I can generally shield tank enough to slip around to an enemy's side/back. My shield (old knight) does get broken if I play for too long without a bonfire. Why, should I or do my stats suggest that I suck at it lol?

Tarkus

Sort of not really? I don't try to roll dodge too much as I can generally shield tank enough to slip around to an enemy's side/back. My shield (old knight) does get broken if I play for too long without a bonfire. Why, should I or do my stats suggest that I suck at it lol?

Invincibility frames during the roll are tied to your agility stat. Agility is increased by Adaptability and Attunement. It increases 3x as fast with ADP than with ATN. Both of those are low on your build, so I'm assuming that you get hit a lot when dodging. Most people recommend 100 agility but I recommend 105. If you have a few Soul Vessels then try it sometime with <70% equip load.

Arkos

Invincibility frames during the roll are tied to your agility stat. Agility is increased by Adaptability and Attunement. It increases 3x as fast with ADP than with ATN. Both of those are low on your build, so I'm assuming that you get hit a lot when dodging. Most people recommend 100 agility but I recommend 105. If you have a few Soul Vessels then try it sometime with <70% equip load.

Damn interesting, thank you. How do you people find this shit out lol? I feel like I'm cheating when I consult a wiki

Arkos

100 agility is plenty, really. If he blocks a lot, he doesn't even need to raise it that high.

I mean I'm at 90 atm. I am stuck on Aldia though, I can get in like one hit before the fire shield and even then I normally take some damage, the NPCs I summon just sit in his fire shield, the people I summon haven't been much help and I am out of human effigies, so I'm trying to farm humanity by helping others which is its own battle. Still haven't beaten Aldia, either in my own world or as a summon

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You'd probably have less trouble soloing him. Summoning just adds defense to the boss, and that's a good trade-off in many cases since it divides the aggro/attention of the boss, but it doesn't really apply to Aldia.

Also extra agility won't change much for Aldia if he's the one giving you trouble. Seriously it's just a game of patience. As soon as the fire shield is down, get a hit or two in, don't get greedy and just back away, then wait and repeat. Kind of an annoying fight but definitely not very hard.

Astral Dog

That is just sad. I struggled on with the Pursuer at first too, but when I got his pattern down he was a complete cakewalk. Now I can almost always perfect him. Don't give up!

He's optional too lol...

damn it seems you were supposed to kill it with the crossbow thing and he dies quickly! :(

After watching a few video guides, im not sure why so much trouble a level 34 character should have against him, anyways...maybe there will be another time.:/

Celegus

That is just sad. I struggled on with the Pursuer at first too, but when I got his pattern down he was a complete cakewalk. Now I can almost always perfect him. Don't give up!

He's optional too lol...

So mad I bungled my shot at killing him early in the forest. He was just a couple hits away from dying and I hadn't taken a hit, then I accidentally rolled off the platform getting out of the way of his attack, run back up the ladder and he was gone. Jerk.

Arkos

So endgame
when I beat Aldia I spawned back at the Far Fire. What are my options? I did sit on the throne. I was trying to go dark ending, did I mess it up lol?

Side note: decided to play MGR next (again) and it's like child's play lol. Parry parry parry

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So endgame
when I beat Aldia I spawned back at the Far Fire. What are my options? I did sit on the throne. I was trying to go dark ending, did I mess it up lol?

Side note: decided to play MGR next (again) and it's like child's play lol. Parry parry parry
Yes, sorry. You can always
go to NG+ at the Far Fire ("start journey 2") but you need to replay the game of course. It goes by pretty fast if you skip all the optional stuff though, and besides NG+ is fun, there's some new stuff both in enemy placement and some new items too.

I just played this yesterday, that first hulking brute of a monster killed me 10 times, so much hard to avoid his attacks, different then BB.....:(

Arkos

Lollers, I'm gonna hold off until I join the next gen with a PS4 and I'll play SotFS then, but it's been real. Glad I finally got into this game, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the hype led me to believe, although I do understand why people may have been disappointed. Still a great game, look forward to revisiting it with the DLC one day.

Next up is actually Demons Souls. I've played both DkS but not that :3

Rogan

Banned
I'm new to the series and this is my first souls experience! Absolutely love it, played about 7 hours and defeated
The Last Giant + The Pursuer

I really thought it would be harder from the get-go. It had to do some research to understand the leveling, but after my research I made some progress.

Arkos

I'm new to the series and this is my first souls experience! Absolutely love it, played about 7 hours and defeated
The Last Giant + The Pursuer

I really thought it would be harder from the get-go. It had to do some research to understand the leveling, but after my research I made some progress.

You're in for a treat :p as I said I think DkS2 is great, but do yourself a favor and play the first at some point as well.

I know when I played the first I definitely did a lot of "research" to make sure I was doing it right and it didn't take away from the experience, so don't feel bad about "researching" lol.

Also, play with others. I soloed the first so I didn't realize how fun it is to summon and be summoned until the second one. So do that, it's fun.

And praise the sun. Praise it.

mstevens

So I just finished (platinum) Bloodborne, which was my first souls experience. I went into it thinking it would be much too hard and frustrating, but I really enjoyed it.

My question is - How does the difficulty compare in this game? Is getting 100% harder? Easier? Do level work similar to where you can keep leaving if you're really stuck somewhere?

I just finished BB but I'm already itching for another souls experience. I'm hoping this one will be a good fit too.

Edit: I also read that the dlc enemies scale with your SM.. Is that true for this version as well? True for bosses too?

Arjen

So I just finished (platinum) Bloodborne, which was my first souls experience. I went into it thinking it would be much too hard and frustrating, but I really enjoyed it.

My question is - How does the difficulty compare in this game? Is getting 100% harder? Easier? Do level work similar to where you can keep leaving if you're really stuck somewhere?

I just finished BB but I'm already itching for another souls experience. I'm hoping this one will be a good fit too.

Edit: I also read that the dlc enemies scale with your SM.. Is that true for this version as well? True for bosses too?

100% will take a lot longer because there's more content and you'll need to finish the game twice and a half to get the platinum, it's not really harder although there are some pretty tough fights in here. You can farm for souls if you want to, enemies don't scale to your level.

mstevens

100% will take a lot longer because there's more content and you'll need to finish the game twice and a half to get the platinum, it's not really harder although there are some pretty tough fights in here. You can farm for souls if you want to, enemies don't scale to your level.

Not even in the dlc areas? I heard they do.

Any good guides or builds? Don't want to gimp myself.

Hey.
I have a question regarding my build. I'm lvl 139 and my stats are :
VGR 36
END 30
VIT 5
ATN 10
STR 22
DEX 45
ADP 20
INT 10
FTH 16

I originally wanted to do a DEX build, but now I kinda want to add a bit of sorcery and/or miracle. What I'd like is to be able to cast some buff and heal (and maybe some damaging spell if that's not too late).
Do you think it's worth upgrading my ATN/INT/FTH now ? Or the build will be worthless for NG+ and beyond ?

Tarkus

Hey.
I have a question regarding my build. I'm lvl 139 and my stats are :
VGR 36
END 30
VIT 5
ATN 10
STR 22
DEX 45
ADP 20
INT 10
FTH 16

I originally wanted to do a DEX build, but now I kinda want to add a bit of sorcery and/or miracle. What I'd like is to be able to cast some buff and heal (and maybe some damaging spell if that's not too late).
Do you think it's worth upgrading my ATN/INT/FTH now ? Or the build will be worthless for NG+ and beyond ?
How many Soul Vessels do you have in your inventory?

Manu

Not quite on topic, but I was able to pick up a Collector's Edition of DSII and I thought I'd share it here.

12274617_10208224827688307_8978933485131495412_n.jpg

12299293_10208224827648306_3000402421464036245_n.jpg

And the whole family together:

12295337_10208224825648256_8064177895361310449_n.jpg

I don't usually like statues or tacky stuff but I'm loving the statue. Shame I sold my vanilla DS2 copy, my collection would be bigger now.

Rogan

Banned
I'm in love. What a great game, I played 20 hours past week and defeated:

Last Giant
The Pursuer
Dragonrider
Old Dragonrider
Flexile Sentry
Ruin Sentinel
Lost Sinner

(spoilers right?)

Up next should be
Belfry Gorgoyle
right? I really like the farming concept and teaming up with others, but I am missing a farm spot and BG should be the next boss.

So, where do I go next? Places with bonfires I unlocked:

Forest of Fallen Giants
Heides Tower of Flame
Cathedral of the Blue
No-Mans Wharf
The Los Bastille
Sinners Rise

Been searching online, but can't really figure out where to go next.

Arjen

I'm in love. What a great game, I played 20 hours past week and defeated:

Last Giant
The Pursuer
Dragonrider
Old Dragonrider
Flexile Sentry
Ruin Sentinel
Lost Sinner

(spoilers right?)

Up next should be
Belfry Gorgoyle
right? I really like the farming concept and teaming up with others, but I am missing a farm spot and BG should be the next boss.

So, where do I go next? Places with bonfires I unlocked:

Forest of Fallen Giants
Heides Tower of Flame
Cathedral of the Blue
No-Mans Wharf
The Los Bastille
Sinners Rise

Been searching online, but can't really figure out where to go next.

Make sure you exhaust the dialogue with the lady on top of heides and then go back to majula and look for her there. There's also another path from majula if you have a branch of yore.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
So a strange thing happened tonight, I was wrapping up some loose ends before going into NG+ and decided to take out the boss in the
Undead Purgatory
, after defeating him and lighting the bonfire I went back to Majula and all of a sudden I got the achievement for increasing the population of Majula, now I didn't get this before because Rosabeth got caught in some crossfire and took a dirt nap. Now she was standing up near the stairs to the statue in some pretty bad ass gear and was fully functional.

Does defeating the boss in the Undead Purgatory resurrect NPC's?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so I rebought this on PS4 after rinsing it on 360. Tried a variety of builds but my main on the latter was a single Blacksteel Katana build. I loved it. Had a whole 'old swordsman' deal going on. Looked mint. Loved him.

Now I'm torn: do I rebuild my awesome single Katana build or try something slightly different (thinking dual curved swords with a middle eastern theme)? I'm all for adventure and new things but at the same time I think I'm gonna miss the comfort of my single katana badass, which (as much as I love it) means going through the game again in the same style...

Any suggestions which route I should take, GAF? I'm paralysed by indecision!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So a strange thing happened tonight, I was wrapping up some loose ends before going into NG+ and decided to take out the boss in the , after defeating him and lighting the bonfire I went back to Majula and all of a sudden I got the achievement for increasing the population of Majula, now I didn't get this before because Rosabeth got caught in some crossfire and took a dirt nap. Now she was standing up near the stairs to the statue in some pretty bad ass gear and was fully functional.

Does defeating the boss in the Undead Purgatory resurrect NPC's?
No, sounds like a glitch.

Does the SotFS edition on next gen platforms do anything about the massive lighting downgrade?
Not exactly. The game does look much better than the original versions but don't expect the E3 footage stuff.

Celegus

Apparently I do still remember most of this game since the original launch. Absolutely loving the updated version, so buttery smooth! 12 hours or so and I'm pretty much done with the original content, time to jump into the DLC areas I've never seen! Can't believe I haven't touched Fallout 4 in a week.

Demption

I'm thinking about jumping in Dark Souls-series, i have played Bloodborne and enjoyed it a lot. Which of the Dark Souls would you recommend?

I'm thinking about jumping in Dark Souls-series, i have played Bloodborne and enjoyed it a lot. Which of the Dark Souls would you recommend?

Personally I like them all but I think DS2:Scholar is on sale at the moment so that might be worth you looking at, just be prepared for a different experience to BB, they have a different playstyle so you'll have to get your head around that, if they click though they're amazing games.

Rogan

Banned
12 hours or so and I'm pretty much done with the original content, time to jump into the DLC areas
Are you an experienced player? I've been playing for 30 hours past week and just finished the Skeleton Lords. Still have to defeat Executioner's Chariot but I'm feeling its going really slow lol.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Are you an experienced player? I've been playing for 30 hours past week and just finished the Skeleton Lords. Still have to defeat Executioner's Chariot but I'm feeling its going really slow lol.

I think my Sorcerer is at 21 hours played and level 115 and I just completed everything except the DLC and a few optional bosses. I explore every area and try and open every chest, light every bonfire, etc...

Take your time, everyone goes at their own pace. If you need any help ask away.

danthefan

Going to start this game this week, are there any pitfalls in char creation I need to avoid? I've read to put a lot of early levels into adaptability, is this the right way to go?

Rogan

Banned
I think my Sorcerer is at 21 hours played and level 115 and I just completed everything except the DLC and a few optional bosses. I explore every area and try and open every chest, light every bonfire, etc...

Take your time, everyone goes at their own pace. If you need any help ask away.

Thnx! Yeah, I'm taking my time and I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait to see how this community will be when DS3 releases.

Top Bottom