• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Do I need to kill that Chariot boss right now in Huntsman Corpse? He's like really hard. The battle isn't really made for Sourcers.
Optional, so no. You can come back later.

Btw, as a mage,
use the Yearn spell to distract the skeletons while you hide in the recesses and/or while you kill the necromancers.

Does anyone else get sick of chasing after crystal lizards?
Very. Worst Souls "feature" ever. :p Fortunately they were made far less annoying in Bloodborne, but yeah, they suck. The Demon's Souls version was the worst.

Buraindo

Does anyone else get sick of chasing after crystal lizards? I hate seeing those things cuz I know I need to get their goodies, but I end up spending forever sometimes running around bashing the shit out of everything with my giant club only to have it squeak by by the length of a skunk's hair.

Not a fan of Crystal Lizards in general but I cannot understand why they won't just drop the items in your inventory when they die like they did in Dark Souls, especially since they're harder to kill here.

weshes195

Maaaaan, I should have gone to the cathedral of blue before taking out the Dragonrider, shouldn't I? Old and Heide Knights at once is no fun : /

Yep, you hit it right on the money. Didn't realize that doing the Boss on the right would wake up those Heide Knights.

I would rather face 5 Old Knights than 1 Heide Knight. They are way too fast and reactive for me to kill them! I will have killed only 1 and have used up all my flasks...

1 Heide Knight >>>>>>>>>>>>>The first 2 Bosses.... I am having trouble with those knights...

Mistel

Banned
Maaaaan, I should have gone to the cathedral of blue before taking out the Dragonrider, shouldn't I? Old and Heide Knights at once is no fun : /
Not really no, once you learn their movesets the Heide knights are very easy to deal with the spear and lance variations are harder but not by much, you can also stagger them with certain weapons. If you struggle with them you would probably be unable to reach the Cathedral of Blue on account of what's outside of it.

Mike M

Nick N
Not really no, once you learn their movesets the Heide knights are very easy to deal with the spear and lance variations are harder but not by much, you can also stagger them with certain weapons. If you struggle with them you would probably be unable to reach the Cathedral of Blue on account of what's outside of it.
I can handle them just fine on their own, it's dealing with them in conjunction with Old Knights that can be problematic. Granted, as long as you start from the Tower bonfire you can kite enemies to split them up (Starting at the Ruins bonfire where you have both on your ass as soon as you walk up the stairs and another Heide patrolling your possible escape route is pretty joyless), but it's more time and risk than I would have to deal with otherwise.

Celegus

Cleared out all the DLC areas this past week. They practically took just as long as the base game!
Fume Knight
was absolutely the hardest boss in the entire game (played as str/fth). Loved playing through again and the new areas were a real treat!

I'm currently fighting
this dark skeleton boss thing after I defeated the two swordmasters
. Am I almost done with the game? It seems like I am toward the end.

Dahbomb

I'm currently fighting
You mean the Glass Knight after the two Dragonrider boss fight?
You still got 20% of the game left I think, more if you need to the DLC. Though I am not exactly sure on which boss you are at. If you are at Drangleic Castle that is.

If you are talking about the Throne watchers and the boss after that then you have beaten the game actually.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm currently fighting
I'm guessing you mean
Nashandra after beating the Throne Watcher & Defender
? If so you're
right at the end, if you met
Aldia
a few times he should be the final boss after that but he might not show up depending on the circumstances. But don't worry, after you kill the final boss and watch the credits you aren't taken automatically to NG+ so you can still explore and do the DLCs if you haven't done that already.

Buraindo

I need to farm chunks, ideas :)

The Bell Covenant is probably the fastest way to farm chunks, as well as some other rare materials. If PVP is not to your liking then try farming the coal tar monsters in Black Gulch, the peasants in Brightstone Cove Tseldora or the Gyrm warriors in the Doors of Pharros.

Buraindo

that bellfry luna area, i need to wear ring, right?

Belfry Luna and Belfry Sol and yes you need to wear the ring to be summoned. You can be summoned from almost any area so long as the Covenant symbol is glowing.
Staying in the Bell areas is better though since you get rewards (chunks included) when you defeat invaders.

Mistel

Banned
The Bell Covenant is probably the fastest way to farm chunks, as well as some other rare materials. If PVP is not to your liking then try farming the coal tar monsters in Black Gulch, the peasants in Brightstone Cove Tseldora or the Gyrm warriors in the Doors of Pharros.
Not really the fastest way probably is the Black Gulch and the black tars which you can infinitely farm with no risk with firebombs.

Buraindo

Not really the fastest way probably is the Black Gulch and the black tars which you can infinitely farm with no risk with firebombs.

Item drops are unreliable and even with items that improve Item Discovery it's possible, and in my experience awfully common, to spend a lot of time farming without getting a single drop.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Belfries are great for farming chunks, provided you're in the correct soul memory bracket. After a while it just dries up. :( Too bad. It's the most fun way to "farm", IMO. I hope DS3 brings that back.

Did they change the ability to cheese Dragonrider boss by making him fall off the edge a few seconds after entering the boss room, or am I just super rusty at doing it? (I suspect it's the latter)

Got it for PS4 and I thought I'd give the game a quick whirl and do my usual start of run stuff, but couldn't for the life of me get him to do the right attack. The game looks great though, I could tell right from the start what the difference between 30 (and sub-30!) and 60 fps, hope to find some time over Xmas to give it a quick run through to see all the differences.

Mistel

Banned
Item drops are unreliable and even with items that improve Item Discovery it's possible, and in my experience awfully common, to spend a lot of time farming without getting a single drop.
I had the other way around with them being pretty decent as by that point they were a better source than the Gyrm warriors and the belfry's being out of the memory brackets so I had little to nothing from them.
Did they change the ability to cheese Dragonrider boss by making him fall off the edge a few seconds after entering the boss room, or am I just super rusty at doing it? (I suspect it's the latter)
Never mentioned in any of the patches at all.

Celegus

Got it for PS4 and I thought I'd give the game a quick whirl and do my usual start of run stuff, but couldn't for the life of me get him to do the right attack. The game looks great though, I could tell right from the start what the difference between 30 (and sub-30!) and 60 fps, hope to find some time over Xmas to give it a quick run through to see all the differences.

That sweet sweet 60 fps made it real hard going back to Bloodborne. So smooth, so silky.

Just finished Black Glutch, where to go next

Shulva or Harvest Valley? Tried Shulva a little but boy enemies are hard, i have Greatsword + 10.

Dahbomb

Shulva or Harvest Valley? Tried Shulva a little but boy enemies are hard, i have Greatsword + 10.
What bosses have you beaten thus far?

In any case Harvest Valley is definitely next. Shulva is DLC area that is really meant for late game.

Mike M

Nick N
Made it past Ornstein. Deeply ashamed of how many attempts it took, and how I eventually had to summon help to get past. Fucking slow Estus recovery >: (

Been farting around Lost Bastille by way of the crow nest in the Forest, doing co-op, got a really good amount of upgrades on my weapons. Used my fragrant branch and opened a can of worms by unleashing a whole bunch of those Knights. They're not hard, but there's like 4 or 6 in one go there...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Harvest Valley, definitely. Shulva is DLC and end-game content. Harder than most of the standard NG+ game heh.

Been farting around Lost Bastille by way of the crow nest in the Forest, doing co-op, got a really good amount of upgrades on my weapons. Used my fragrant branch and opened a can of worms by unleashing a whole bunch of those Knights. They're not hard, but there's like 4 or 6 in one go there...
There's a shortcut you can use to skip them all, but you might need to arrive from the Exile Cells bonfire (via No Man's Wharf).

more question: what do you guys do with great/bosses souls? do you exchange weapons or just use them for money?

+

how does knight or other class use sorcerer items/powers?

I got Dragonrider to suicide first time today, I must've just been out of practice!

more question: what do you guys do with great/bosses souls? do you exchange weapons or just use them for money?

+

1. If you want to use the weapon/spell it makes use the soul for that, otherwise nom nom nom!

2. Any class can use spells you just need the right tool (catalyst for spells, chimes for miracles) and the stats to equip a particular spell. You then need to attune the spell at a bonfire (and level up attunement for more magic equip slots if you don't have any).

Mistel

Banned
Similar to what Red Liquorice says you can do both of those if you partake in the usage of bonfire ascetics on the correct bonfire to respawn the boss. Although there's not really many decent boss weapons that you should really worry about not having in the base game most normal weapons are better.

Tarkus

+

I think there are some really good boss soul weapons in this game. Off the top of my head, Chaos Blade (ng+), Butcher Knife, Crypt Blacksword (ng+), Warped Sword, Arced Sword, Fume Sword, Fume Ultra, Roaring Halberd, Sacred Chime Hammer, Drakewing Ultra.

The Crypt Blacksword and Roaring Halberd do insane damage. Very fun weapons.

If you're going for all of the achievements, you'll definitely want the spells some of the boss souls are tied to.

Boss Soul Weapons that I've tried and liked:

Drakewing Ultra Greatsword - Does good damage and has a projectile special-attack. This move chews through durability but it can do insane damage with proper timing.

Spotted Whip - A great whip for inflicting poison. Originally I wanted to use the Old Whip (gotten from the "silky & smooth" birds), but the durability is too low to do much of anything. Anyway, with a couple of these, power-wielding(hold Y), and a few other poison-buffing pieces of equipment, you can raise some havoc.

Defender Shield - a 100% physical damage reduction shield that's light-weight and also has fairly decent defense against everything else. It's too bad you get it so late, but there's always NG+.

Mistel

Banned
I think there are some really good boss soul weapons in this game. Off the top of my head, Chaos Blade (ng+), Butcher Knife, Crypt Blacksword (ng+), Warped Sword, Arced Sword, Fume Sword, Fume Ultra, Roaring Halberd, Sacred Chime Hammer, Drakewing Ultra.

The Crypt Blacksword and Roaring Halberd do insane damage. Very fun weapons.
Other than the spotted whip, thorned greatsword, and dragonrider stuff that's pretty much all of the good ones. Debatable on the warped and arced sword though.

some of trophies doesn't pop?

Smith for Life
Inherit Steady Hand McDuff's equipment

For this trophy, you must inherit equipment from the Blacksmith McDuff. He is found in the Lost Bastille close to the start of the area. If you do not have the Bastille key, you need to let the enemy at the top of the staircase outside his worskshop knock the explosive barrel in to the wall, revealing a bonfire and an entrance to his workshop.

Find the Dull Ember, which has been moved to a chest at The Tower Apart bonfire and give it to McDuff. You then need to spend a total of 14,000 souls on upgrading/infusing weapons with him in order to inherit his equipment, he will also give you a Titanite Slab if you talk to him after fulfilling this.

did all that and nothing.

Mistel

Banned
some of trophies doesn't pop?

Smith for Life
Inherit Steady Hand McDuff's equipment

For this trophy, you must inherit equipment from the Blacksmith McDuff. He is found in the Lost Bastille close to the start of the area. If you do not have the Bastille key, you need to let the enemy at the top of the staircase outside his worskshop knock the explosive barrel in to the wall, revealing a bonfire and an entrance to his workshop.

Find the Dull Ember, which has been moved to a chest at The Tower Apart bonfire and give it to McDuff. You then need to spend a total of 14,000 souls on upgrading/infusing weapons with him in order to inherit his equipment, he will also give you a Titanite Slab if you talk to him after fulfilling this.

did all that and nothing.
It should of after doing all of that I guess it's glitched or something. You sure you got his equipment and the slab?

Mike M

Nick N
Pretty sure I'm too over-leveled to see summon signs (though it get summoned fairly regularly) in the areas I'm at in the game.

Feels bad, man.

Mistel

Banned
Pretty sure I'm too over-leveled to see summon signs (though it get summoned fairly regularly) in the areas I'm at in the game.

Feels bad, man.
You aren't. You are just out of soul memory range for that area, I assume you aren't wearing the agape ring to prevent gaining souls, so your soul memory will keep climbing pushing you further out of range.
nope i didn't get anything from him that's weird tho.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

DLC really needed at NG+? how is correct progress?
Well then that's why it didn't unlock as you've not go anything from him. The progess route on fextralife isn't really that correct as you can do DLC in any order it's more of guidelines than a hard and fast rule book.

Mike M

Nick N
You aren't. You are just out of soul memory range for that area, I assume you aren't wearing the agape ring to prevent gaining souls, so your soul memory will keep climbing pushing you further out of range.
Oh, I know how that all works, the old parlance is just hard to drop after all these years. I guess.

Seems an ill-thought out mechanic.

Tarkus

I started to sux at this, 75k souls lost, shortage of human efiggy :(

gotta stop playing this game.
The fastest way to get effigies: Go to the Iron Keep Threshold Bridge and equip the pyromancy Warmth (you don't need Warmth, but it's courteous). Summon every red sign you see. Stand back in the alcove in the middle and let the phantoms fight each other. You usually won't be attacked unless one of them is a dick but still, you won't lose ANYTHING. With each phantom that dies, you will gain an effigy. Heal the winner with warmth in alcove after each duel. Sometimes the phantom will heal themself with miracles. YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT. There are many people who only play the game, including myself, just for this. You'll have enough effigies to finish the game in no time.

Top Bottom