• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Just finished DS1 after finishing Bloodborne really early in the year. When do I get more than 1 estus flask? Is healing ever instant? Why does this game's opening suck so much :/
Check the well (the actual well, not the giant hole) in Majula near the locked house for an early Estus Flask shard. The game really throws consumable healing items at you there are tons of different kinds so get used to not relying on Estus so much.

Healing is never instant but you can make supping Estus (marginally) quicker by leveling adaptability iirc, it's a new stat that governs a few things like that and more importantly invincibility frames on roll, you WILL notice the difference once you start leveling ADP if you are a more dodgy than blocky type of player. Aaaaand, give it time, it's not DS1, it's not Bloodborne, but it's still a good game with it's own charms.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, the super limited Estus at start isn't as bad as it seems. Life gems are everywhere, and you get access to an NPC who has an infinite supply to sell you early on in the game. Use Estus only for emergency healing, pop Lifegems between mob encounters if you need to, and you'll be fine.

Fhtagn

Meh alright I'll trudge on. Also I immediately switched jump back to O instead of the left stick, that's a generally good idea right?

Nah, the stick is better because you don't get accidental jumps after running; it's more flexible.

Either way is fine and if you plan on switching between the games a lot, leaving it at O makes sense, but I use the L3 personally.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't get accidental jumps after running regardless, so I stick with the old configuration. It's too ingrained at this point.

Meh alright I'll trudge on. Also I immediately switched jump back to O instead of the left stick, that's a generally good idea right?
It's entirely up to your preference, but L3 helps with certain jumps as it means you aren't taking your finger off the run button for that split second, in general I think you can get a bit more distance to a jump with L3 but there is nowhere it is necessary (other than speedrun strategies or something obscure like that).

Personally I change it back too as I much prefer using 'O'.

Yeah I'd say either go for 99 or 105 agility.
Anything in-between (or above) is a waste of soul levels.

Here's a handy image for figuring out i-frames:

http://i.imgur.com/IERyIep.jpg

Basically the more points you invest, the longer your invulnerability lasts while you're rolling. 11-13 frames is about the same as Dark Souls 1.

Tarkus

Team 105 here. Feels most like DS1's fast roll to me. I think that's 26ish ADP, but that also depends on attunement since that also increases agility, albeit 3 times less with each point.

Don't forget about I-frames with your (highly important) back step PsychoWARD23.

Blegh, so I need to level up all that adp when i also really need to upgrade my strength and stamina. Why would they link I frames to a stat

Also is there a way to increase the size of damage numbers and enemy health bars?

attunement = slots

Attribute governing number of spells that can be attuned and the number of casts per spell. Also boosts spell casting speed, agility and curse resistance.

You gain one extra Attunement slot at Attunement level 10, 13, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 75

inteligence = more spells

Attribute required for Sorceries and Hexes. Boosts magic, fire and dark attack and defence. Also slightly boosts casting speed.

i do have hexen set :)

which staff for sorcerer is the best?

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats

Tarkus

Intelligence DOES NOT increase the number of casts per spell. It increases cast speed and governs the level of spells you can use.

It even says so in that fextralife link above.

Wikidot is superior btw.

DarkFlame

Banned
Intelligence DOES NOT increase the number of casts per spell. It increases cast speed and governs the level of spells you can use.

It even says so in that fextralife link above.

Wikidot is superior btw.

i could swear that attunement increases cast speed,not intelligence

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't remember if anything increases cast speed, but attunement increases the number of casting slots and, at certain thresholds, give extra casts per spell.

Just got to the Crypt and was laughing my ass off at one of the changes - I dropped down to light the torch and had some repeating invader dude to contend with plus the ladder up was blocked by one of the big shield dudes! I didn't know if it was evil genius or evil stupid!

Some of the changes they've made have baffled me, others made me laugh - but I don't think once have I thought "cool, that's a nice new addition" - I still think they should've included the original version of the game with SOFS and have the new version as a type of "master quest" remix version. I know I'm not done yet, but I don't think I will want to come back to this version, I don't really think the changes they made benefit anything, at least that I've seen so far.

Manu

Less mobs during the Skeleton Lords fight is a good change.

The Forlorn were a great change.

The additional phantom NPCs.

The Dragonrider before Vengarl.

The Executioner Chariot in Drangleic Castle.

Aldia and the additions to the lore in general.

I don't know, I think SoFTS is an improvement in virtually every way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't remember that.
Vendrick you mean?

Yeah I agree. I think most of the changes are positive.

Not sure about the Chariot in Drangleic, that was kind of a WTF moment, but whatever. I think they just wanted to make the "be wary of horse" messages to be useful. :D

Tarkus

The Chariot Horse at Drangleic is pretty neat I think. Though the unbreakable columns in the room trivialize and already-easy fight.

Buraindo

The Forlorn were a great change.

The additional phantom NPCs.

Aldia and the additions to the lore in general.

I think there's way more skeletons during the Skeleton Lords fight. They traded wheel ones with a whole bunch more warriors.
The Dragonrider and Chariot would've been great additions if they didn't have some of the most ridiculous health bars in the game making their encounters more boring than they needed to be. Same goes for the NPCs and their blatant cheating.
I do think that SOTFS is an overall improvement over DS2 but to be honest I was expecting a bit more out of it.

Dahbomb

Just picked this up yesterday for PS4, this is my first souls game, any tips? Chose this over Bloodborne because I want 60fps
Branches of Yore are key items that unpetrify statues and open up a new way/treasure. Same for Pharo's Lockstones.

Explore, explore and explore. These games highly reward exploration. If you think you can't take on something, go to some different area and try to find items there.

Use Souls on something when you have a high amount even if you to use a Homeward Bone to teleport back. Dying loses your Souls and if you die twice in a row without retrieving your souls they are lost for good.

Use lock on a lot (R3), otherwise you will whiff a lot of attacks. Always wait for an enemy to complete their attack before attacking yourself, don't try to trade hits at the start.

Dodge more often than blocking. Your dodge has some invincible frames so abuse them. You get more invincibility if you put more points into Adaptility which increases your Agilot. You want your Agilot to be around 100 late game.

Weapons have stat rating with a letter grade. Better grade means they scale well with that stat so if you want to increase their damage then put stats into that attribute.

If you want to start using spells then you need 10 points in Attunement to gain 1 attunement slot and then a catalyst item to use spell. So if you want to use a Pyromancy spell you need to have the stat requirements, the slot to equip the skill and a pyromancy glove equipped on your character as a weapon.

Bonfires are your checkpoint but if you rest at them (which restores HP, your Estus and weapon durability) it respawns enemies. Always look for shortcuts back to your Bonfire especially before boss fights so that it's easier to get back to a boss when you die.

Always take one enemies one at a time and don't button mash. Actions get buffered and you will get locked into an action which will kill you.

Always read every item description completely. Also exhaust all NPC dialogues by talking with them (keep talking with them until they repeat).

All weapons are good enough to complete the game with as long as your upgrade them. Use what you like and don't worry about over committing on upgrades on a few items, you get enough upgrades.

Soul Vessels allow you to reallocate your points at the starting old ladies if you need to. These are very limited in the game.

You should read what every stat and attribute does like Poise, VGR, Endurance etc. Also be aware of their soft cap limits.

When you die you get turned in a hollow and you can't summon NPC to help you. You can turn human again by using a Human Effigy. If you keep dying as a hollow then your max HP keeps getting lowered until 50% max. Don't spam Human Effigies every time you die, use it right before a boss to summon an NPC to help you.

There are some online stuff you probably want to read about if your interested.

Do not have your equipment burden over 70% it will affect your movement and roll. But at 69% you are OK!

Hitting enemies from behind while close to them hit's them with backstabbing which does a lot of damage. You can also parry them with L2 then do big damage. If an enemy is blocking then press forward + R1 to do a guard break and then punish. Forward + R2 is a jumping attack with different usage based on the weapon.

Press Triangle to go double handed for more damage but you can't use a shield to block. I prefer this greatly against bosses.

There's probably a lot more. Game is more about skill than stat min maxing. Tackle it like an action game where you dodge stuff and attack after they complete. Never over commit to your action, even if you just do roll, attack once and back off that's good enough if you are consistent.

Less? It's been a good while since I played vanilla DS2, but it seemed like there were TONS more skellies, and I'm talking about only killing one Lord at a time, definately less bonewheel skellies though I think, only 2 compared to 4 before (maybe NG+ adds them back? I intended to go for the platinum but after a few days of playing I can't stomach it as it's bringing back all my old memories of what was wrong with the game when I'd kind of made my peace with it after not playing it for so long).

Are you being sarcastic? I thought this was really dumb, all I could wonder is how they got it the hell up there in the castle! Where does it sleep at night, where's all the horse shit on the marble floor... etc! I suppose it's more interesting than the elephant and those annoying archers, but it's just a cut and paste job with an enemy that doesn't really belong there.

Can I also just say how hilarious those falconer guys are in the Shaded Woods and Tseldora, I don't think I noticed before how funny they walk bobbing around like penguins, then also they have the worst case of enemy speed-up walking I think. I can't be the only one that's noticed this in DS2 where you turn the camera around on an enemy that's either advancing or retreating because of AI leashing and it's like they're in a Benny Hill sketch!

Just picked this up yesterday for PS4, this is my first souls game, any tips? Chose this over Bloodborne because I want 60fps
Dude.....

Mistel

Banned
Use lock on a lot (R3), otherwise you will whiff a lot of attacks. Always wait for an enemy to complete their attack before attacking yourself, don't try to trade hits at the start.
You shouldn't rely on lock on you should practice and be able to do it without it as it's helpful in lots of situations.

Buraindo

Can I also just say how hilarious those falconer guys are in the Shaded Woods and Tseldora, I don't think I noticed before how funny they walk bobbing around like penguins, then also they have the worst case of enemy speed-up walking I think. I can't be the only one that's noticed this in DS2 where you turn the camera around on an enemy that's either advancing or retreating because of AI leashing and it's like they're in a Benny Hill sketch!

Right up there with Alonne knights.
I like how they twist themselves in the most unnatural position to shoot their bows as well.

Dahbomb

You shouldn't rely on lock on you should practice and be able to do it without it as it's helpful in lots of situations.
I feel early on you should play with lock on as much as possible and once you get the feel of the game then you should play without it in certain situations. Like against very big dudes I have lock on off and against dodge heavy enemies I like to disengage my lock on and aim the great sword to better hit them with.

Manu

Bosses that break your weapon when you attack them suck, and I hope it's not in DS3.

Sihn and Aava are great fights ruined by this crap mechanic.

Moonkid

The atmosphere has grown on me a lot but it's been quite hard switching from Bloodborne to this from a gameplay perspective. I don't mind the technical disparities in the graphics and it's the difference in movement that's a little off-putting. Having said that I just beat the Lost Giant, a bit of a dull fight, and I'm keen to keep chugging along before Dark Souls 3 drops. Right now I've pumped stats into endurance and adaptability, any tips for a DEX build?

buraindo: you were right, didn't exhaunted pate's dialogues fully in harvest valley/earthen peak.

one other question:

i'm not in doors of pharros/tseldora but in Gyrm's Respite
Behind the first Primal Knight all enemies are frozen/not moving :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, Lost Bastille is really just a shittier version of Boletarian Palace/Undead Burg, isn't it?
No? Lost Bastille is amazing. Stellar level design, with tons of wrapping around, secrets to find in nooks and crannies, cool bosses, a cool look and atmosphere, etc.

I like it a lot more than Undead Burg to be honest, especially atmosphere-wise.

Styles

So, I've just recently returned to finish off the rest of my achievements for SOTF, but the game/Steam/internet connection freezes and cut off for about a minute everytime I try to summon/be summoned/invade etc. So, I can't do any co-op. I've tried every solution that has been suggested around the net, but to no avail. :( Any help?

Oh yeah, and windows audio would shut off entirely as well.

[e d i t] looks like I solved the issue by flushing my steam files. Gonna have to do it everytime I shut down my pc.

Buraindo

The atmosphere has grown on me a lot but it's been quite hard switching from Bloodborne to this from a gameplay perspective. I don't mind the technical disparities in the graphics and it's the difference in movement that's a little off-putting. Having said that I just beat the Lost Giant, a bit of a dull fight, and I'm keen to keep chugging along before Dark Souls 3 drops. Right now I've pumped stats into endurance and adaptability, any tips for a DEX build?

I personally like rapiers (Ricard's Rapier is my personal choice) with the Leo Ring for my DEX character. Katanas are also a really good choice but I they require to get a bit closer to the enemy while still dealing immense amounts of counter damage. No shields, low vitality and Flynn's Ring for either.

buraindo: you were right, didn't exhaunted pate's dialogues fully in harvest valley/earthen peak.

one other question:

i'm not in doors of pharros/tseldora but in Gyrm's Respite
Behind the first Primal Knight all enemies are frozen/not moving :(

Are you in the Rat King Covenant?

Man, Lost Bastille is really just a shittier version of Boletarian Palace/Undead Burg, isn't it?

I wouldn't say that. I don't like it as much as the Undead Burg but it's probably one of the better areas in DS2. Ruin Sentinels always make for a good fight too.

Mike M

Nick N
No? Lost Bastille is amazing. Stellar level design, with tons of wrapping around, secrets to find in nooks and crannies, cool bosses, a cool look and atmosphere, etc.

I like it a lot more than Undead Burg to be honest, especially atmosphere-wise.

You really think so? I find it so... I don't know, artificially inflated, somehow. It seems bigger than it needs to be to accommodate its contents, enemy placement isn't particularly stellar (there's, what, ten Royal Swordsman who rush you right before the Sentinels?), it's visually uninteresting when you're not looking up at the sky, and the whole "ship the undead to be locked up" thing was done before and better in Undead Asylum. Plus the frequency of pursuer encounters is a little ridiculous.

The gunpowder barrels are a neat environmental hazard, but even that was already done in the FoFG, right down to uncovering the bonfire...

I mean, it's not bad and is one of the more Souls-y areas I've seen so far, I just find it living in the shadow of previous attempts.

Tarkus

I like Drangleic Castle the best. To me, it's one of the best areas in Souls game. The size and atmosphere are excellent. Iron Keep and DLC areas are excellent too.

Undead Burg >>>>>>>> Lost Bastille

thanks

in undead crypt i accidentaly brought light into area where Grave Warden Agdayne is....i died, but everytime i restart level, even without a light, all 3 Grave Wardens trying to kill me...

am i screwed?

Tarkus

thanks

in undead crypt i accidentaly brought light into area where Grave Warden Agdayne is....i died, but everytime i restart level, even without a light, all 3 Grave Wardens trying to kill me...

am i screwed?
I think if you go see Cromwell at Brightstone to absolve your sins they will de-aggro.

You might could also kill them and Agdayne, then revive him at his gravestone to reset things. Not sure though, I've never aggroed them.

Top Bottom