• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Mistel

Banned
Going to dive in tonight, any tips coming from BB?
I read something about leveling adaptability to roll better?
It is not rolling better it is more I frames during rolls and back steps, the higher your agility the more you have you should aim to have an agility between 100 to 120 at the top end.

Tarkus

the game is great, but getting or offering help is just too anoying because of soul memory range? how to avoid that?
You can lock soul memory with the Agape Ring purchased from Straid in Lost Bastille. You don't gain souls and you're not able to use soul items with the ring on.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You really think so? I find it so... I don't know, artificially inflated, somehow. It seems bigger than it needs to be to accommodate its contents, enemy placement isn't particularly stellar (there's, what, ten Royal Swordsman who rush you right before the Sentinels?), it's visually uninteresting when you're not looking up at the sky, and the whole "ship the undead to be locked up" thing was done before and better in Undead Asylum.
Sounds like you're going out of your way to find reasons to hate the place, tbh.

Plus the frequency of pursuer encounters is a little ridiculous.
I thought that was an amazing improvement from the vanilla game. Pursuer finally living up to his name.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uh, no? I don't even hate it, it just doesn't do anything that the Souls series hasn't already done better. It's a disappointing regression.
There's nothing in Dark Souls that's not been done better in Demon's Souls (Tower of Latria, Shrine of Storms) -- what a disappointing regression!

Ehh. I think Lost Bastille is one of the best levels in the whole series, not quite Latria good, but up there.

Mike M

Nick N
There's nothing in Dark Souls that's not been done better in Demon's Souls (Tower of Latria, Shrine of Storms) -- what a disappointing regression!

Dude, what are you even going on about? Even putting aside that there is no analog to either Latria or Shrine of Storms to even draw such a comparison, I don't get why you're trying to pick a fight about this. It's one of your favorite areas, great, IDGAF and have a different opinion on the matter.

Christ.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dude, what are you even going on about? Even putting aside that there is no analog to either Latria or Shrine of Storms to even draw such a comparison, I don't get why you're trying to pick a fight about this. It's one of your favorite areas, great, IDGAF and have a different opinion on the matter.

Christ.
Sorry, I thought we were having a friendly back-and-forth/debate. Guess not. Nevermind then.

I have defeated The Last Giant and The Pursuer, which way should I go next, The Bastille or Heides Tower?
I second Heide's Tower.

Manu

MTGGrwS.gif

Dragon Shrine..... No words. What is this, is it a challenge, is it meant to be balance, or is just a bunch of extra enemies aggroing at the same time for no fucking reason whatsoever. I don't get it, are you meant to handle a mace giant and 2 or 3 dragon bros all at the same time (with all their lovely infinite poise), are you meant to run past them all? I, errr yeah I'm done.

This is a really bad version of an already poor game. I'd very much forgiven DS2 it's sins but maybe that was just because I'd forgotten just how awful it plays - everything is so sluggish, delayed and unresponsive - character movement and combat, one minute it's like you're underwater, the next it's like you're on black ice. Coming back to it from Bloodborne really made this hit home - I had forgot how strikingly worse it is in actual gameplay, controlling the character compared to the other 3 games. So I'm out, I've got Fallout 4 and Dragon Quest Heroes to squeeze in before DS3 come out next year and I want to play BB some more and do a DS1 run or two, I don't have time for SOFS and it's horrible, horrible physics, movement and mechanics. I'm out, thank fuck I only paid £12 for this POS.

Manu

lol

The dragon guys in Dragon Shrine don't aggro if you don't aggro them first.

But looks like you had already made up your mind about the game.

Gestahl

This is a really bad version of an already poor game. I'd very much forgiven DS2 it's sins but maybe that was just because I'd forgotten just how awful it plays - everything is so sluggish, delayed and unresponsive - character movement and combat, one minute it's like you're underwater, the next it's like you're on black ice. Coming back to it from Bloodborne really made this hit home - I had forgot how strikingly worse it is in actual gameplay, controlling the character compared to the other 3 games.

The deadzone in turning compared to DS and BB makes me furious

Zocano

I think I would have the same reaction going from Bloodborne to Dark Souls 1.

I did, however, go straight to Demon's Souls and wrapped up my platinum on that and still loved every second so what do I know.

Manu

Dark Souls 2 is so unresponsive, guys.

I just killed Fume Knight on my second try rolling through all of his attacks, but you know, unresponsive.

Mafro

Dragon Shrine..... No words. What is this, is it a challenge, is it meant to be balance, or is just a bunch of extra enemies aggroing at the same time for no fucking reason whatsoever. I don't get it, are you meant to handle a mace giant and 2 or 3 dragon bros all at the same time (with all their lovely infinite poise), are you meant to run past them all? I, errr yeah I'm done.
Dragon knights are non-hostile (they actually bow to you) unless you attack them or if you don't kill the big enemies. You either ran in all guns blazing, or just tried to spring through the level.

I started playing this again with a bleed build and I'm kind of surprised to see that it actually does work. I've triggered the bleed at least once on every opponent so far and I've had a couple of people run from me and heal as soon as I bled them out.

It's fun!

Manu

So I'm aiming for the Platinum, which I thought I'd never do, and turns out it's not as hard as it seems. I'm only missing the spells from NG+ and beyond and farming Sunlight Medals.

Yet, I'm having problems with Benhart's quest. It looks like they purposely put him in the worst places to summon before bosses. Tseldora BEFORE the rolling boulders? A giant memory? The hallway with the spawning knights before Looking Glass Knight? Come on.

People who got the plat, what's the best way to complete Benhart's quest in your opinion? Any tips? Thank you.

Buraindo

I started playing this again with a bleed build and I'm kind of surprised to see that it actually does work. I've triggered the bleed at least once on every opponent so far and I've had a couple of people run from me and heal as soon as I bled them out.

It's fun!

I like the reduced stamina and slow effect more than the sudden massive loss of HP, but it's a shame that it's practically useless in PVE.

I'm supposed to head to Iron Keep, I however have almost no fire resistance, what do?

You don't really need fire resistance unless you plan on walking on the lava platform, in which case you'll get some of the better fire resistant gear in Iron Keep itself (
Smelter Armour
Alonne Knight and Captain armour).
You should also get Flash Sweat from Rosabeth and roll through the black pots that contain water which will greatly increase your fire resistance.

So I'm aiming for the Platinum, which I thought I'd never do, and turns out it's not as hard as it seems. I'm only missing the spells from NG+ and beyond and farming Sunlight Medals.

Yet, I'm having problems with Benhart's quest. It looks like they purposely put him in the worst places to summon before bosses. Tseldora BEFORE the rolling boulders? A giant memory? The hallway with the spawning knights before Looking Glass Knight? Come on.

People who got the plat, what's the best way to complete Benhart's quest in your opinion? Any tips? Thank you.

Clear the areas before summoning the old mate, then fight the bosses. Toughest summon is probably the Giant Memory since the boss there will hit him HARD so I'd probably avoid that.
You only need to summon him three times so I suggest avoiding the memory and summoning him for the Prowling Joke and his hollow pals, Looking Glass Knight, Throne Watcher and Defender and
Nashandra or Elana

Tarkus

It's fun!
I was thinking about doing one of those builds. What weapons are you using? I was thinking about going with a Curved Twinblade with bleed infusion or Royal Greatsword.

Manu

Clear the areas before summoning the old mate, then fight the bosses. Toughest summon is probably the Giant Memory since the boss there will hit him HARD so I'd probably avoid that.
You only need to summon him three times so I suggest avoiding the memory and summoning him for the Prowling Joke and his hollow pals, Looking Glass Knight, Throne Watcher and Defender and
Nashandra or Elana

I heard the easiest way was to summon him for Magus&Congregation and use ascetics. Probably gonna try that one.

Buraindo

I heard the easiest way was to summon him for Magus&Congregation and use ascetics. Probably gonna try that one.

Ah true, true. I didn't think of ascetics as I rarely ever use them, but that should definitely work. Don't know why you'd want to deal with NG++ sliding falconers though heh.

Manu

Ah true, true. I didn't think of ascetics as I rarely ever use them, but that should definitely work. Don't know why you'd want to deal with NG++ sliding falconers though heh.

I don't think I've ever used an ascetic either, but I really need that stupid trophy.

Actually, you did that all wrong. Those knights just chill and watch you fight the giant dudes. Almost as if testing to make sure you are worth meeting the dragon. I loved that place.

I was thinking about doing one of those builds. What weapons are you using? I was thinking about going with a Curved Twinblade with bleed infusion or Royal Greatsword.

Flamberge, Bandit's Knife and Manikin Sabre all infused with Bleed, and the Notched Whip. The Lacerating knives are a good addition as well because if I catch someone with one and it triggers the bleed it'll do about 300 damage. I've also got the Shadow Gauntlets and the Crest of Blood for the bleed bonuses they provide.

Mistel

Banned
Use a Royal Greatsword it has better scaling and higher damage than the Curved Twin Blade, plus the moveset of a Royal works better for bleed least to me.

Tarkus

Flamberge, Bandit's Knife and Manikin Sabre all infused with Bleed, and the Notched Whip. The Lacerating knives are a good addition as well because if I catch someone with one and it triggers the bleed it'll do about 300 damage. I've also got the Shadow Gauntlets and the Crest of Blood for the bleed bonuses they provide.
I'm running the bleed equipment with powerstanced Notched Whips and bleed Ashen Warrior Sword. Not working out too well at the moment.

I'm running the bleed equipment with powerstanced Notched Whips and bleed Ashen Warrior Sword. Not working out too well at the moment.

Are you not triggering bleed? It usually takes me four or five hits to get it going and if it didn't trigger then this build would be awful because with bleed infusions the damage output is quite low. I never said it was an effective build but it's definitely fun. I have to be really aggressive because some people just run away when the bleed starts building up.

Tarkus

Are you not triggering bleed? It usually takes me four or five hits to get it going and if it didn't trigger then this build would be awful because with bleed infusions the damage output is quite low. I never said it was an effective build but it's definitely fun. I have to be really aggressive because some people just run away when the bleed starts building up.
It's triggering, I've just never used whips before. I'm getting better with it. I can get it with 1 L2 followed by an R1 I think. I've stopped using the sword. With bleed infusion, the damage is just too low. I have ole painless in my back pocket for desperate times.

Top Bottom