• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

It seems to be the only sensible way of running a bleed setup, which is a challenge itself. Quite fun though. Plus, I've got to get some use out of the Shadow Gauntlets that I spent an hour farming for :p

I haven't had trouble getting the bleed to work without using the whip. In my build the whip is a wake-up or sudden off-hand surprise attack that I switch to to keep my opponents on their toes.

Tarkus

I haven't had trouble getting the bleed to work without using the whip. In my build the whip is a wake-up or sudden off-hand surprise attack that I switch to to keep my opponents on their toes.
The Sabre is pretty good. I have mine infused with Dark and buffed because of the build. Did you lose a lot of AR with the bleed infusion?

The Sabre is pretty good. I have mine infused with Dark and buffed because of the build. Did you lose a lot of AR with the bleed infusion?

Yeah, the AR is pretty poor on most weapons once you put the bleed infusion on them. I chose to not use the ring of blades or flynn's ring because if the weapons are too strong then you'll never get the bleed, and then what's the point of having it at all? I did the same when I tried a poison build and that worked nicely as well.

Here's my build, in case you're interested.
harrycrisp1_by_realghostvids-d9l075c.jpg

If Lacerating Arrows were purchaseable I would replace the Bandit Knife with a bow because that dagger REALLY sucks for damage once you put bleed on it. I also swapped the Manikin Sabre for a bleed Rapier purely because I missed being able to parry things, and I am awful at curved sword parries.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, the AR is pretty poor on most weapons once you put the bleed infusion on them.
You could get higher AR if you used the STR bleed weapons but there's really no point as you say unlike the DEX ones their scaling is a lot more generous.
what do you transfer over to NG+? everything? souls, weapons, etc?

found it here

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/New+Game+Plus
It's in the first paragraph of that link, but you keep everything other than keys, fragant branches of yore, dlc keys, and the kings ring.

Tarkus

yeah but don't won't to kill him...which bonfire ascetic should i use in early stages/areas?
Didn't you do his side quest on NG? You had questions about the end parts of the quest on the previous page. I figured you completed it. If you did, then kill that
snake.

Are you trophy hunting or something? There's only a few items that are NG++.

This game is addicting. I've got 2 characters both in NG++. One a hexer rolling Dark Silverback Spear and Black Witches staff. Dark silver back Sickle as back up.

Then a poison Dex character with power stance chaos blade and Manslayer with curved dragon great sword. I have trouble decided which to play everytime I turn it on

tariniel

I played through the game once at PC launch and am considering grabbing that upgrade to try out all of the DLC. I'm just a bit worried Bloodborne's fast pace will make appreciate it less than I used to.

Sadly I lost all my save data so will have to start over. Is a dual-wield no shield character viable?

Arjen

I played through the game once at PC launch and am considering grabbing that upgrade to try out all of the DLC. I'm just a bit worried Bloodborne's fast pace will make appreciate it less than I used to.

Sadly I lost all my save data so will have to start over. Is a dual-wield no shield character viable?

The slower pace will get some getting used to, but the 60fps will make up for it. Shield less is absolutely viable, just make sure you get your agility up as fast as possible.

I really enjoy my duel wield we with no shield at all and he's on NG++. It's very doable just get that stamina to dodge.
My hexer has that little parry shield from very beginning but I hardly use it

Finally picked this up after loving the original and not having any of the DLC.

But... did they nerf lightning spear hardcore? I'm a PVE loving carebear, and one of my favourite things to do was roll up a fresh cleric and go hang out at the first 3-4 bosses helping newer players. So I get in for the Last Giant and smack him right in his face with lightning spear and it did almost no damage to him (sub 50). And he's even supposed to be weak to lightning!

I quite enjoyed that build because I could fight, spear was great DPS, and I could heal others with the cleric heal spell. Now, it seems much less powerful than I remember!

1) I have like an empty bar immediately to the right of my health bar that I swear has been getting bigger, what's up with that?
2) why on earth can you only level up at the woman now instead of at every bonfire like dark 1 or have a hub area you can go back to constantly like BB

1) I have like an empty bar immediately to the right of my health bar that I swear has been getting bigger, what's up with that?
2) why on earth can you only level up at the woman now instead of at every bonfire like dark 1 or have a hub area you can go back to constantly like BB

1) have you died and not fully human?? That's what the bar on the right of health bar is and everytime you die it gets larger losing more max health. And Majula where you level up is sort of the 'hub'

sam777

It's on the dock as you are walking to the ship if you've followed all her dialogue spots and talked to her

Thanks, I realised my main problem, which was I need to be a human first. So basically I played up until No Man's Wharf without ever using an effigy and having half health lol.

Manu

That mace wielding dark spirit at Drangleic Castle's door in NG+. Dayum.

Almost done with my NG+ run, which I'm just breezing through, and then I just need to play half of the game again for my platinum. Feels good, man.

mstevens

Hey guys

Just started this a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. I just beat the ruin sentinels.

I heard today that you need to PVP in order to get a spell or else you can't platinum the game. Is this true? I really enjoy these games for the PVE and would hate to do that. Is there alternatives? Also, is there any other items or trophies locked behind multiplayer? Playing on PS4 for reference.

1) have you died and not fully human?? That's what the bar on the right of health bar is and everytime you die it gets larger losing more max health. And Majula where you level up is sort of the 'hub'

I've died when I'm still undead. Do I need to burn an effigy to regain my health?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
butwhy.gif
Why what?

You lose your max HP when you die. The more you die, the more HP you lose, so you gotta stop dying. You can revert that by using an effigy to revive to human form and regain your HP, but they are a semi-rare consumable (there's many of them, just not easily infinite amounts) so you gotta use them wisely.

What part is unclear?

Why what?

You lose your max HP when you die. The more you die, the more HP you lose, so you gotta stop dying. You can revert that by using an effigy to revive to human form and regain your HP, but they are a semi-rare consumable (there's many of them, just not easily infinite amounts) so you gotta use them wisely.

What part is unclear?
I'm confused on why that mechanic was implemented as it's punishing you for dying long term beyond losing your souls, losing weapon durability and losing progress. I'm also not spending points in vit cause I first I gotta get my agility up to combat these terrible iframes

in addition is there no way to reverse the HP loss without using an effigy?

Mike M

Nick N
I'm confused on why that mechanic was implemented as it's punishing you for dying long term beyond losing your souls, losing weapon durability and losing progress. I'm also not spending points in vit cause I first I gotta get my agility up to combat these terrible iframes

You don't lose weapon durability for dying, it's restored at every respawn or bonfire rest (and really only ever seems to be a concern for me with rapiers and katanas.).

You can restore humanity without an effigy by helping someone beat a boss as a White Soapstone phantom, or by helping beat a some number of enemies as a Small White Soapstone shade.

I'm not sure what the exact number is to fulfill your duty as a shade, but it doesn't seem high at all. I got summoned to No-Man's Warf, there were two other summons, and I didn't make it past the Pharros contraption before I got the Duty Fulfilled message.

The hollowing system is very Demon's Souls-esque compared to Dark Souls 1, right down to an equivalent to the Cling Ring.

spliced

Hey guys

Just started this a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. I just beat the ruin sentinels.

I heard today that you need to PVP in order to get a spell or else you can't platinum the game. Is this true? I really enjoy these games for the PVE and would hate to do that. Is there alternatives? Also, is there any other items or trophies locked behind multiplayer? Playing on PS4 for reference.

I'd advise joining the Heirs of the Sun(Sun Bro) covenant as soon as you can and co-oping bosses to get the 30 Sunlight Medals you'll need. You can get them in PvE but the drop rate is pretty rare.

mstevens

I just happened to join them a little bit ago. I'll be sure to look for summons on upcoming bosses to cut down on the grind later.

I'm just relieved that I don't have to PVP.

I did hear that you have to get to NG++ for some trophy reqs like spells... How hard (impossible) does it get for someone who things ng is pretty dang hard?

Mistel

Banned
There's two ways but as you've got effigies you can't do the first but the second a successful summon you can. Effigies functionally infinite so it's a real non issue using one. You then can either use the ring of binding to cap the loss at 80% or cheat death with either ring of soul protection or ring of life protection but they're crutches really.
I did hear that you have to get to NG++ for some trophy reqs like spells... How hard (impossible) does it get for someone who things ng is pretty dang hard?
Well as you hopefully get the DLC stuff first time around it's not much of a jump from NG+ otherwise it can be.

Dahbomb

You don't need to PvP to get the platinum.

If you finish the quests of the Abyssal covenant that gets you your level 3 requirement for covenant.

NG++ isn't that much harder though there is definitely more cheap stuff thrown in the game like bosses getting additional helper dudes. Beating the game isn't that hard when you know exactly where to go and what the required bosses. You can get to end game if you have 2 million souls I believe, essentially speed running through the game. Then it's a matter of navigating the areas and getting summons for bosses to kill them faster.

Hardest part about the platinum are the missable trophies. That Royal sorcerer quest plus Lucatiel are a pain in the ass, just make sure you follow the exact road map. Having to do their quests in NG+ is really annoying when you just want to blow through the game.

Buraindo

I just happened to join them a little bit ago. I'll be sure to look for summons on upcoming bosses to cut down on the grind later.

I'm just relieved that I don't have to PVP.

NG++ is only marginally more difficult than NG+. You'll probably have less issues with it because the enemy health and damage increase is negligible compared to the jump from NG to NG+. Besides you will already be aware of all the NG+ ambushes and changes so there's that.

Aaaaand done.
Now I can finally play other games (until DS3 comes out.)
Congratulations! I do hope to see the Faraam set in all its glory in DS3.

Quikies83

Any xboners want to run through any/all of the DLC today/tonight?
I have the place to myself until Monday :)
Any active co-oper's add me: Quikies83

Top Bottom