• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Just realized that enemies now follow through fog gates? Damn, I'm gonna have to bail. That's pretty much my method for fighting bosses gone, I can't be bothered to clear the area every time and was pretty used to sprinting straight to the boss after an area sweep. Sure it won't affect them all but it's gonna make a good few considerably more tedious.

Just realized that enemies now follow through fog gates? Damn, I'm gonna have to bail. That's pretty much my method for fighting bosses gone, I can't be bothered to clear the area every time and was pretty used to sprinting straight to the boss after an area sweep. Sure it won't affect them all but it's gonna make a good few considerably more tedious.

Wait, what? Surely not into bossfights? :O

RIP in peace Speedruns.

Ayt

Banned
I hope they didn't ruin the uniqueness of every location.

If every enemy is randomly encountered everywhere it wouldn't really be fun..and it wouldn't make sense lore wise.

:/ We'll see.

The new enemies aren't random. They are using the type of enemy you'd expect to face in an area.

I've only messed around in the Forrest and Heide's so far but I'm loving the new enemy placement.

ike_

Is there a way to force resolution? It won't let me select a resolution higher than 720. Maybe because resolutions higher than that are 30Hz on my TV, but 1080 still looks way better and is still silky smooth on this model.

This wasn't a problem with the DX9 version. I don't see a slot for the game in GeForce Experience/Control Panel yet.

Did they get rid of soul memory?

The mechanic is still there, you can however buy a ring that will absorb any souls so your soul memory will not increase further. You do have to have minimum like 30k soul memory though iirc.

RIP in peace Speedruns.

That's also going to make farming Duke's Dear Freja as a mage a gigantic pain in the ass ;_;

Voidguts

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff, saved me 20 bucks, thanks :\

The mechanic is still there, you can however buy a ring that will absorb any souls so your soul memory will not increase further. You do have to have minimum like 30k soul memory though iirc.

That's also going to make farming Duke's Dear Freja as a mage a gigantic pain in the ass ;_;

It absorbs souls? Like you don't get to spend them then?

Carlius

Banned
Can someone please make some comparison screens between DX9 and DX11?

i would do them but i uninstalled dx9 version. trust me though, the difference is there, not massive, but its a lot prettier than it was before. no more muddy crap, very good color palette. you can clearly see it and i am loving it. very much worth the 20 bucks since i never played the dlc.

It absorbs souls? Like you don't get to spend them then?

Yes all souls are absorbed by the Agape ring so you do not get souls to spend but you don't have souls added to your soul memory either. Basically if you're planning on Sun Bro'ing/PVP'ing a lot it'll be good to keep you on the same level.

It's still far inferior to the level system deciding the multiplayer though unfortunately (imo), I'm still not sure if I want to upgrade and play the DLC or not.

Yes all souls are absorbed by the ring so you do not get souls to spend but you don't have souls added to your soul memory either. Basically if you're planning on Sun Bro'ing/PVP'ing a lot it'll be good to keep you on the same level.

It's still far inferior to the level system deciding the multiplayer though unfortunately (imo), I'm still not sure if I want to upgrade and play the DLC or not.

Ah alright, cool.

It's sort of annoying but still good.

RIP in peace Speedruns.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff, saved me 20 bucks, thanks :\

Seems so, just discovered it googling around for details on the changes. Was news from a month ago so if anyone here can confirm it would be the best test to see if they kept it in. Honestly I think it's a horrendous idea and just stopped me from buying the PS4 version I was planning on getting. I'm legitimately baffled, I'm really hoping someone who's grabbing it on PC can confirm for us because it seems like such a horrible idea that I'm reluctant to believe it until I see it in gameplay.

ike_

Seems so, just discovered it googling around for details on the changes. Was news from a month ago so if anyone here can confirm it would be the best test to see if they kept it in. Honestly I think it's a horrendous idea and just stopped me from buying the PS4 version I was planning on getting. I'm legitimately baffled, I'm really hoping someone who's grabbing it on PC can confirm for us because it seems like such a horrible idea that I'm reluctant to believe it until I see it in gameplay.

Haven't had any enemies come through fog gates into boss fights with me so far with Last Giant, Persuer, and Dragonrider. I ran past most enemies to get there.

They definitely follow you much further through the level though, which I kind of love.

A quick comparison:

DX9

darksoulsii2015-04-02bzuhg.jpg

DX11

DX9

DX11

I will do more soon.

Lamneth

Banned
i would do them but i uninstalled dx9 version. trust me though, the difference is there, not massive, but its a lot prettier than it was before. no more muddy crap, very good color palette. you can clearly see it and i am loving it. very much worth the 20 bucks since i never played the dlc.

Thanks.

A quick comparison:
Thanks. Am I crazy that I find DX9 more pleasing to the eye?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If those shot comparisons are raw (no sweet fx or anything) that's pretty drastic compared to what ppl were saying

Will wait for a steam sale I guess. Maybe over the summer. Don't feel like paying $50 for this since it's barely improved from the original game and I really disapprove of the DX9/DX11 bullshit with the separate skus and whatnot.

Won't support these practices at full price.

Shepard

Game runs better than the original, for me. I used to get small drops when playing at 4k, now it is a rock solid 60 fps. Bought DS2 but never had the time to play it and didnt buy the DLC too, so I guess it is time
,after I finish Pillars of Eternity

Foffy

Banned
Is the durability bug still there 100%? By this, I mean is its impact factored less when running the game at 30fps? I assumed it would be, but having clear information now may help.

Hypron

They fucking what?

Ugh that's a terrible change. Who thought that was a good idea?

Nyoro SF

Except they don't aggro when you enter the area. They only aggro if you stand near them. It's impossible for this to happen unless it's done intentionally.

Huh? I distinctly remember entering this specific area with the fallen knight and being instantly aggro'd by like 5 of these guys in the original. Their line of sight is pretty long!

They fucking what?

Ugh that's a terrible change. Who thought that was a good idea?

Just want to add that a player on PC has apparently not had this happen so it could have been back pedalled. I really hope it isn't true since it would be crazy hard and honestly should have probably pm'd someone with the pc version to test this first just in case. Don't panic yet would be the general thing I'm trying to say because it seems the info from February might be outdated now.

void666

Banned
Huh? I distinctly remember entering this specific area with the fallen knight and being instantly aggro'd by like 5 of these guys in the original. Their line of sight is pretty long!

Well, in this version it doesn't happen. You can calmly wake them one by one.

Ayt

Banned

They are all on the ground in the updated game and don't wake up until you go near them. The dude in that screenshot would have needed to run all over the entire area to wake them all up.

TBH, it is simpler in the new version.

Voidguts

Not sure why but my shots looks way worse when I compare them with in-game ...

The details are actually not lost like you see in the screenshots. It's super weird.

It looks great actually.

that's odd, but yeah in the comparison shots it just looks like the contrast and bloom are jacked up - thank you for the comparisons, though. is there any way you could try running some aggro'd mobs through a boss fog gate (pursuer?) to dispel this stuff for us people on the fence?

Top Bottom