• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

And I'm not suggesting that it significantly detracts from the problem (especially if people don't experience it). But the hitbox issue is real (or rather, in some cases, its the hurtbox issue). If it doesn't effect you, fine. That's great. But it's a noted and pretty well documented issue and you can't just dismiss it as "other games had it too" because they didn't. Not to this extent.

Will it effect your enjoyment? Probably not. It didn't effect mine in any substantial way.

I only dismiss it in the context that I don't personally believe the hitbox issue is as widespread or significantly greater than the other Souls game, it just has had more attention and exposure given to it.

Regardless, it's a tiring conversation to have in every single DS2 thread that comes up, especially if we both agree it doesn't actually significantly effect many people's enjoyment of the game. Especially because it ALWAYS seems to come up and usually in a way that's extremely dismissive of the game as a whole.

HeelPower

Yeah, those of us who played on consoles are going to reap the biggest benefit here in terms of the technical upgrades. Cannot wait.

On a side note, that Xbox One stream shows the game running like silk. So good.

Yeah.

This is a HUGE upgrade for many of us that will vastly improve the game.

It can't be stressed how big the difference is coming from PS3.

Teeth

What exactly did they add that requires DX11? Seems like DX11 was slapped on to justify this versions existence on PC. I mean we cant make it look as good as the DX9 version. DX11 isnt necessary for enemy placement. What was the point?

What DX11 game has EVER looked substantially better than its DX9 version?

ironcreed

Banned
Seems like the game will be totally different.

Usually that area is populated with simple enemy soldiers...now we get these tough ass hippos.

Another good example is a
guardian dragon
in Heide's Tower now. And DLC enemies appear in the main game. All sorts of new devilry.

Is there an upgrade option for the DX9 version that includes the new enemy placements and items. I really dont want to give up a version with far superior graphics just for new enemy placements.

Guys with the PC version, how big is the game file coming in at? I'm so tempted to buy this on PC, I for sure would be able to run it at max settings. I'm not sure why I'm leaning toward the PS4 version.

So yeah, how big is the game download?

def sim

Guys with the PC version, how big is the game file coming in at? I'm so tempted to buy this on PC, I for sure would be able to run it at max settings. I'm not sure why I'm leaning toward the PS4 version.

So yeah, how big is the game download?

11.8 GB

TEH-CJ

Banned
I am a massive demon/ dark souls fan and Bloodborne has just turned into my favorite game of all time. Should I pick up Dark Souls 2?

I was watching some gameplay footage of it and it looks very clunky and average compared to Bloodborne :(

Is there an upgrade option for the DX9 version that includes the new enemy placements and items. I really dont want to give up a version with far superior graphics just for new enemy placements.

No.

Wait a week or two and I'm sure graphical mods will be made to work on it too so you can have the same graphical quality with the redone content.

Crisco

Banned
Meh, even the combat in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls wasn't "average" or "clunky", it's just the most survivable playstyle was sword and shield with a lot of backing off. Eventually you can play more aggressively when you're staggering dudes with one hit.

I am a massive demon/ dark souls fan and Bloodborne has just turned into my favorite game of all time. Should I pick up Dark Souls 2?

I was watching some gameplay footage of it and it looks very clunky and average compared to Bloodborne :(

If you're a massive Souls fan and you haven't played DS2 you should very much pick it up. But if you're really enjoying Bloodborne, just wait a bit. It'll probably be cheaper later on if you don't really want to play it right now.

ironcreed

Banned

If you like Demon's and Dark Souls, then by all means. It is a killer game.

Shiokazu

Already did. Waiting for pagseguro to stop mucking about.

Jolly co-op tonight mate? I'am looking foward to not knowing shit about what comes next.

you bet!

1396983884366.png

pagseguro is also taking its time here

Just buy it, never deny a Souls game if you liked BB

It's great, huh? It is going to throw those of us who have played off guard.

Yeah, pretty fresh start for veterans and newcomers

Thanks man.

Alright, anyone want to talk me into getting the PC version over the PS4?

I'd be able to play it sooner on PC, have access to mods, and probably have access to a great online community.

PS4 would be a new box for my collection, trophies and part of my DeS, DS1/2, BB boxed collection on Sony platforms.

C'mon guys help a fellow Souls fan with this choice, lol.

hawk2025

Thanks man.

I'd be able to play it sooner on PC, have access to mods, and probably have access to a great online community.

PS4 would be a new box for my collection, trophies and part of my DeS, DS1/2, BB boxed collection on Sony platforms.

I made the same choice:

Picking it up on PS4, picking up the Steam version when it's super-cheap.

I want to play it on PS4 and go through the experience with my brother that hasn't played DS2 yet :)

Robot Pants

Thanks man.

Get both. Unsealed ps4 version for the Sony showcase. (Maybe triple dip so you can get the platinum) and PC for the mods etc

i5 4670k
770 2gb
2880x1800
rock solid 60 fps

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii_2015_04_00buqn.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii_2015_04_0qeuhv.png[/IMG]

It looks pretty much the same than vanilla ds2 but a lot bloom and some better textures.

Gametrailers Just Played SCholar of the First Sin

Gametrailers says we pc gamers got shafted on the dx11 bullshit. That the game just doesnt look much different from vanilla ds2. thats pretty sad and now we cant even use enb or gedo with it.

Looks similar to vanilla DS but without enb or gedo support.
I see..

Joey Ravn

Banned
better looking is not the same as a complete game with full dlc, new npcs and new enemy locations. sorry man, worth the 20 bucks for me. cant wait to play it again for a third time.

If you think you are spending your money well spent, more power to you. But this is not true, though. If you are paying only $/€20 it's because you already have the game (DX9) with the three DLCs (or the Season Pass). The only things that you get by paying for the "upgrade" is 1. DX11 graphics, 2. new enemy placement and 3. up to 6 invaders/summons at the same time. The new NPCs, the new weapon balance, the new item descriptions, etc. is already included for free in the base game via the latest patch.

IMO, the best deal for PC players is for those who have the base game but not the DLCs. You can get all three DLCs AND the new features for only $/€5 more of what you would pay for the DLC. If you only have the base game and don't care for the new enemy locations, then getting the Season Pass is a better option.

Faabulous

Thanks man.

Ever played DaS2 vanilla on PC? If you did, and can deal with its problems (like needing a controller for it to be a decent experience) if you didn't or can't deal with that just get it on PS4.

Is it neccessary to have played the original before playing this one ? I'm 100% sold by Bloodborne, might want to step right into another souls after it while I'm at it

I'm tempted to just grab the dx9 version when I get my fill of BB. I really was looking forward to the PS4 version, but their pricing structure is just fucked. $40 is more than fair, but IMO every version should have released at that price, with better discounts to you loyal customers (and a free upgrade on pc if you bought the game+DLC). As a person newer to the series, I have some good options, but all this kinda pisses me off when thinking about my fellow gamers, even if it doesn't bother them (you).

better looking is not the same as a complete game with full dlc, new npcs and new enemy locations. sorry man, worth the 20 bucks for me. cant wait to play it again for a third time.

The DLC is available for the DX9 version. And unlike the last gen consoles there isnt a single reason they couldnt have added the new NPC's and enemy locations to the DX9 version.

This is flat out the most transparent rip off from a company I've ever seen.

Ghazi

Is it neccessary to have played the original before playing this one ? I'm 100% sold by Bloodborne, might want to step right into another souls after it while I'm at it
Not really, they're fairly separate games! That's some throwback, but nothing you'd NEED to have played DS1 to enjoy.

Ever played DaS2 vanilla on PC? If you did, and can deal with its problems (like needing a controller for it to be a decent experience) if you didn't or can't deal with that just get it on PS4.

I've got the 360 wireless controller for PC, would be a step back compared to the PS4 controller but at least control would be fine. Man, I think I may have to buy both version. The PC version is a better price now, so I could wait for the PS4 version to go on sale down the line for my collection.

acsn

When and in what order should the DLC be done? Is it like the first game where NG+ starts immediately after beating the last boss?

Abylim

Does it have new trophies? I like the Bloodborne school of "kill a boss, get a trophy".

The trophy list is identical to the PS3 version.

What I'm trying to work out is if its separate or stacking.

You would think it would be separate, its on a different platform, but you never know.

Teeth

The first line of the steam page spiel states:

So going by that they advertise it as being the key selling point to the game.

And they are "enhanced" basically as much as any other DX11 "upgrade". Which is to say barely at all.

I don't know why anyone expected any different.

Afar

Neo Member
so if I upgrade to DX11 do I lose access to my DX9 version and save?
I know there sepret games on steam but does buying with the upgrade price remove my old version?
( i never got around to beating DS2, kinda want to play both versions)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
When and in what order should the DLC be done? Is it like the first game where NG+ starts immediately after beating the last boss?

In DS2, after the final boss the player returns to the game world and can choose when to launch new game+.

I'm not sure if the DLC has an intended order, but the portals to the added zones appear at three major points in the game's critical path. In my experience the expansion zones are on the difficult side, but I think if you did them after beating the last boss you'd be overpowered for them on vanilla NG.

so if I upgrade to DX11 do I lose access to my DX9 version and save?
I know there sepret games on steam but does buying with the upgrade price remove my old version?
( i never got around to beating DS2, kinda want to play both versions)

The DX9 version stays in your library as a separate game.

Nabs

I've got the 360 wireless controller for PC, would be a step back compared to the PS4 controller but at least control would be fine. Man, I think I may have to buy both version. The PC version is a better price now, so I could wait for the PS4 version to go on sale down the line for my collection.

Plug in your DS4 or pair it with BT if you can. Take 2 seconds to download and install this: www.ds4windows.com - then make sure you go into the settings tab and check "hide ds4 controller". You'll be golden.

Thanks. Will probably buy. Now, waiting for feedback on both PC and PS4 versions. If both sucks, will buy Dx9 PC for cheap

Make sure you pick up Dark Souls on the cheap (on PC!) and use Durante's tool to unlock the resolution and framerate. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and it feels wonderful on PC.

Top Bottom