• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

ike_

Regarding item placement changes: they removed
the Ring of Life Protection pickups in No Man's Warf and Shaded Woods! Those were nice crutches from the midgame on to say in human form with full life and not lose your souls for the pretty small cost of 3000 to repair.

I used to use them for all my builds, but I'm kind of excited they took that crutch away from me.

Corpekata

Banned
Without spoiling anything (as I haven't played this), does the game naturally flow in a way that takes you through the vanilla stuff before getting into the additional content? That's how I would prefer to play it, I think.

They're all blocked off by vanilla content that requires significant effort so you won't be doing them too early. You should have a good handle of the game before you're even close to accessing any of the DLC.

Without spoiling anything (as I haven't played this), does the game naturally flow in a way that takes you through the vanilla stuff before getting into the additional content? That's how I would prefer to play it, I think.

You'll definitely know whether you're at a DLC area, they're really separated from each other and the main game.

Beepos

Played the game on PC but never got the DLC so this is perfect for me.

I'm sure they added a whole bunch of new items and spells so what do people reckon are more fun overall now - pure sorcery or pure hex mage.

UberLevi

I'm tempted to try a different build than what I did in vanilla, but I don't like dexterity builds and magic feels kind of cheap and easy. My go-to playstyle is usually greatshield and ultra greatsword, but I've done that so much in this series that I might need a change.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I heard they nerfed holy spells but are they still viable for my greatswors/shield tank supplement?

Seanspeed

Banned
People are fixating on the graphics too much.

The 'changed enemy locations' thing on the tin is incredibly significant. They've completely redesigned these areas, far more then just shuffling some guys around. It's a huge change so far.
Well the new enemy placement is certainly the main reason I'm going to pick this up, but I think a lot of people are still eager to know what has been improved graphically. Especially since the use of GeDoSaTo is unavailable now that this is DX11.

I'd still like to hear confirmation of the ability to run higher-than-native resolutions and would like to see how people's performance is. DX9 version ran like a dream so you could run at a decently high resolution without a super powerful card.

Anyways, the screenshots look better in some ways and worse in some ways. I'm still not convinced on them. I know some of you are saying it looks better in the game, but I see no motion blurring or any sort of effects that would cause a distinct disparity between screenshot and motion.

I'm tempted to try a different build than what I did in vanilla, but I don't like dexterity builds and magic feels kind of cheap and easy. My go-to playstyle is usually greatshield and ultra greatsword, but I've done that so much in this series that I might need a change.

I have the solution for you.

DOUBLE GREATSWORDS

Well the new enemy placement is certainly the main reason I'm going to pick this up, but I think a lot of people are still eager to know what has been improved graphically. Especially since the use of GeDoSaTo is unavailable now that this is DX11.

I'd still like to hear confirmation of the ability to run higher-than-native resolutions and would like to see how people's performance is. DX9 version ran like a dream so you could run at a decently high resolution without a super powerful card.

Anyways, the screenshots look better in some ways and worse in some ways. I'm still not convinced on them. I know some of you are saying it looks better in the game, but I see no motion blurring or any sort of effects that would cause a distinct disparity between screenshot and motion.

Can you go into detail? Is it an improvement or what?

Phased

Finally beat the
Dragon in Heide's,
dont really think I need to spoiler tag that since it's been all over the trailers and previews, but better safe than sorry.

Took me a lot longer than I'd care to admit too. The new enemy placements have gotten me killed a few times so far since I've played the original so much I run through an area I think I know like the back of my hand without thinking, and boom a Turtle Mace guy who wasn't there before wrecks me.

Also, those damn
Knights
in Heide's are such a serious pain, you can't even reliably backstab them since they have this really fast back slash. I mostly ignored them in the original so I never really had a chance to figure them out.

mcz117chief

All right, so I played and finished both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls but I heard some funny stuff about Dark Souls II. Would you recommend me to buy the game on the PS4 or should I rather focus on getting Bloodborne ?

Anth0ny

All right, so I played and finished both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls but I heard some funny stuff about Dark Souls II. Would you recommend me to buy the game on the PS4 or should I rather focus on getting Bloodborne ?

Both are awesome games and both are worth playing.

I'd personally go with Dark Souls II simply because it came out first, but it's totally up to you. win win situation :)

Shinjica

I'll suggest Bloodborne. You will try a different kind of "souls" game instead of the same mechanics

mcz117chief

Either. Both.

Roger that, sir

I have the solution for you.

DOUBLE GREATSWORDS

Bloody hell ! You can do that in Dark Souls 2 ?

I'll suggest Bloodborne. You will try a different kind of "souls" game instead of the same mechanics

Thanks for your input :) I actually tried Bloodborne for about 20 minutes via share play, it felt just like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls to be honest, I didn't notice any fundamental change.

verbatimo

I killed the
pursuer
on the same regular high platform in Forest of the Fallen Giants.

I traveled to Lost Bastille and he came back with buffs and was seriously pissed.
So far this updated version has been great. I love it. :)

Bloody hell ! You can do that in Dark Souls 2 ?

Thanks for your input :) I actually tried Bloodborne for about 20 minutes via share play, it felt just like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls to be honest, I didn't notice any fundamental change.

You can indeed! It does require a lot of strength but you can literally have a greatsword in both hands and swing them both with each attack.

Watch the vid below to see what that's like :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYG0viokbY

Maybe skip like 5 minutes in because the guy spends a lot of time just going over gear first.

Rambone

For those that have played the new game and played with all the new updates in place I have a question.

My previous build in vanilla DSII was Holy and Strength. From my understanding, Holy is no longer very viable. I am considering working my way to a hex based build, would strength pair well with this or would dex? The end result I want is to be able to be a wrecking ball in PVE and be able to hold my own in PVP should I encounter an invader.

My play style has always been rush into battle and attack enemies as fast as I can by spamming R1 to do as much damage as fast as possible before they can react and hit me. I understand that Dex makes more sense for this play style but from my understanding is that dex based weapons do not interrupt enemy animations most of the time effectively stunning them in place. I think I've read that Dex has less weapons making them less viable vs strength?

I recently started playing with the Giant Club and found that knocking over enemies with it has worked extremely well early on and late in the game. If I go strength, I may consider using that weapon again till I find something else. I would plan on knocking 75% of my encounters over and the ones I cant I will switch to a different weapon to quickly dispatch them.

Abylim

I killed the
pursuer
on the same regular high platform in Forest of the Fallen Giants.

I traveled to Lost Bastille and he came back with buffs and was seriously pissed.
So far this updated version has breen great. I love it. :)

He only seems to pop up when you open the chest in Lost Bastille. He got me first time, but I came back and cleaned him up, good.

Loving this so far, 4 bosses down. Cant get into the
Sentinels fight anymore without a branch =\

420bits

Its up on the EUstore now but I almost chocked on the pricetag, 74usd / 68eur for the ps4-version :O

Sadly, I don't see any discount for owning ds2 + seasonpass either.

DAUYM (this will have to wait)

Daante

Even though i felt i was done with this game, after i played trough the DLC, i might buy it again cause i want to support From Software.

Digital Foundry, im waiting for your comparsion! :)

Abylim

100% is. Can't beat one area without my damn MACE breaking. Annoying as hell.

Yeah, I dont understand how this can be working as intended. No other Souls game plays like this. I dont swing wildly, I just kill whatever is on the way, and half the time when I get to the boss I'm nearing broken.

100% is. Can't beat one area without my damn MACE breaking. Annoying as hell.

You would think since its a known issue they apparently cant fix and since the console versions are 60fps anyway with no options for 30fps they would just double the durability for everything to even things out.

wyp100

Even though i felt i was done with this game, after i played trough the DLC, i might buy it again cause i want to support From Software.

Digital Foundry, im waiting for your comparsion! :)

It's on its way. We hope to publish this afternoon.

Its up on the EUstore now but I almost chocked on the pricetag, 74usd / 68eur for the ps4-version :O

Sadly, I don't see any discount for owning ds2 + seasonpass either.

DAUYM (this will have to wait)

I bought a disc version on Amazon.co.uk for 47 euro (shipping to the Netherlands included). It's not cheap, but since I never got any of the DLC for the PC version, I think it's an ok deal.

Yeah, I dont understand how this can be working as intended. No other Souls game plays like this. I dont swing wildly, I just kill whatever is on the way, and half the time when I get to the boss I'm nearing broken.

You know what version played exactly the way other Souls games played? The 360/PS3 versions at 30fps. Weapon durability only got you into trouble when you were pushing it in terms of enemies killed. Still can mess you up when you don't pay attention to it but doesn't do so constantly.

Considering those versions were the first one out and the PS3 was the de facto version in Japan where From is located I believe the way they play is how it was intended.

Um which one ? Dark Souls 2 or Bloodborne.

but I think you mean Dark Souls 2 since this is a Dark Souls 2 thread, but just making sure.

I'd recommend DS2 first just cause Bloodborne plays at a faster pace and doesn't really follow the norm of the Souls games in terms of equipment (No heavy armor, only a wooden shield, no Dragon tooth).

Braag

Is there a comparison trailer between vanilla DS2 and Sins on PC?

I all ready uninstalled DS2 but First Sin does look better than the original DX9 version, mainly because of the new lighting. I didn't use sweetfx or enb however so I dunno how it compares to those.
I wish I would've done some comparison shots before uninstalling :p

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
So the 60fps durability bug is still in. That's just... come on, goddammit, how have you not fixed this? I wasn't one of the B-team hate bandwagon people, but jfc that just reeks of incompetence.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
It's on its way. We hope to publish this afternoon.

yay! Can you post a link here when it's up?

You would think since its a known issue they apparently cant fix and since the console versions are 60fps anyway with no options for 30fps they would just double the durability for everything to even things out.

Didn't they increase the durability with patch 1.15 or was that not for all weapons? If not, they really should if it's hard-coded and they are unable to fix it. I usually use several sets so I won't have that much of an issue, but could get annoying if you only stick to one weapon.

Dreathlock

So the 60fps durability bug is still in. That's just... come on, goddammit, how have you not fixed this? I wasn't one of the B-team hate bandwagon people, but jfc that just reeks of incompetence.

Yeah, i regret buying this for my ps4. My weapon broke from the first bonfire in Majula and the bonfire in the woods. I mean its very early in game and it was just 15 minutes. I had to spend all my souls for the repair. :( Is this intended or is this a "bug" which will get fixed???

Odrion

Banned
If the durability bug is in four versions of the six versions of the game that exist, it's now a feature. :p

Time to stock up on powder or whatever.

Top Bottom