• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

mario_O

Looks like it's not worth it for PC owners..15 euros for Dx11 that looks almost identical and new enemy placement?
The only thing interesting is the 6 player online, but it should be a free upgrade.

void666

Banned
Looks the same as the old version. I only hope we get some graphic mods soon.
It's so weird going back to DS2 after a week playing bloodborne. Rock solid 60 fps is beautiful. Everything else...

DSix

Banned
When and in what order should the DLC be done? Is it like the first game where NG+ starts immediately after beating the last boss?

No this time you are free to go back and explore more after the last boss. NG+ is optional.

Played up past the first boss and little after, I'm liking the new enemy placement. It feels really weird to go from Bloodborne's framerate to this, but man it feels good to be back. If I wasn't already excited to play this I would've just waited for a sale for sure since $30 is more than it should be even with the DLC, but I'm gonna enjoy it either way. It's a shame the DX11 stuff hasn't been much different so far, hopefully we get some fixes/mods later down the road.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I barely remember dark souls 2, I didn't touch any of the dlc and i coop'ed pretty much every boss. After finishing Bloodborne and for the first time in a Souls game killing all the bosses solo, I'm kinda excited to play this again.

Also I miss shields, I love the impact

Mman235

So Dull Ember is now located in
Lost Bastille
:O

Wow, this could blow early game builds wide open, as having to beeline for
Iron Keep
before was needed for any elemental build, and
Lost Bastille
is generally quicker to reach. Though I guess it only changes so much if it's right before
Lost Sinner
or something

Corpekata

Banned
Game seems to be running better than the old version for me, defaulted to 4k downsampling and I didn't change because I wanted to test it out, and running awesome at it so far. DX9 version I'd have some hiccups with.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If I want to go tanky shield/greatsword (which was my char in vanilla) but with holy spells this time, what stats am I looking at?

I can't fucking remember any of it, I have bloodborne caps on the brain lol

No SLI support :(

Wait what? Vanilla had it :/

If I want to go tanky shield/greatsword (which was my char in vanilla) but with holy spells this time, what stats am I looking at?

I can't fucking remember any of it, I have bloodborne caps on the brain lol

Wait what? Vanilla had it :/

Tried using the default ds2 profile as well as the one that worked best for me with dx9 (The Crysis one). Neither was using more than a single card.

Uthred

last time I checked, enhanced and updated means improved, not the same.

No updated only means, well updated, which they have been to DX11, it could be argued it implies improvement. But again, they have been improved, just not massively.

blado

The new enemy placements are completely throwing me off. Dying in places I never expected I'd have trouble with. Really enjoying it so far.

When and in what order should the DLC be done? Is it like the first game where NG+ starts immediately after beating the last boss?

There is no real order because it doest impact the game and there is no real requirement this time like dark souls 1 but to defeat the boss area to get access to the bonfire but you require to collect all three crowns to get the special buff and at least have a late game item to get access to the Ivory King hidden boss memory but release order is Sunken king, Iron King and Ivory King in that order.

And no, when you finish the last boss you have to go talk to the HUB lady to start the NG+ cycle if not you can explore or farm the rest of the stuff you didnt discovered without any restriction.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The new enemy placements are completely throwing me off. Dying in places I never expected I'd have trouble with. Really enjoying it so far.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Rhaknar

Do we know if the steam discount is a launch thing or a permanent thing?

Meneses

New enemy and item positioning is cool, should make it a fresher experience for people who played the original version a lot.

Loading times on PS4 are quite good but still nowhere near PC.

Is it possible to play in 4K (DSR) and keep the 144Hz refresh-rate?

I mean it's just downsampling via GPU, it should be possible.

The lag in 60Hz is quite significant, even if it's locked to 60fps :/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why is this gif so fluid

Because I'm a cool mfer B-)
i made it, and it's a 50fps GIF is why. So smooth!

I actually made an updated one here

reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

First time player here. Thinking of buying this. I have a PC more than capable of running DX11 version of this. My question is, should I just buy the DX9 version due to it having down sampling and ENB support? Was hoping DX11 would be more than a very tiny improvement on the graphics but since that doesn't appear to be the case I wonder if DX9 version is a better buy since you can improve the graphics more noticeably with mods.

First time player here. Thinking of buying this. I have a PC more than capable of running DX11 version of this. My question is, should I just buy the DX9 version due to it having down sampling and ENB support? Was hoping DX11 would be more than a very tiny improvement on the graphics but since that doesn't appear to be the case I wonder if DX9 version is a better buy since you can improve the graphics more noticeably with mods.

It really fucking sucks that they put you in this position doesnt it. And for no good reason.

Buburibon

Game seems to be running better than the old version for me, defaulted to 4k downsampling and I didn't change because I wanted to test it out, and running awesome at it so far. DX9 version I'd have some hiccups with.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your system specs? Thanks!

Neoweee

By almost all accounts the DX11 version is better. People really seem to be liking the revisions to the gameplay. It essentially replaces the old version for new customers, while screwing over those that owned the game + season pass.

VashTS

So far the new item placements and enemy placements look really bad. Like a really bad fanmod bad. I really want to see what Vaati and ENB have to say about this though.

Ayt

Banned

I'd get DX11 for the new enemy and item placements.

pixlexic

Banned
there is a noticeable difference in the graphics. its not a remake level but its easily noticeable.

The new enemy placement is both good and bad to me. lol bad because its giving me issues lol.

a fucking dragon in hides tower!!??

HeelPower

So far the new item placements and enemy placements look really bad. Like a really bad fanmod bad. I really want to see what Vaati and ENB have to say about this though.

I hope they didn't ruin the uniqueness of every location.

If every enemy is randomly encountered everywhere it wouldn't really be fun..and it wouldn't make sense lore wise.

:/ We'll see.

Robot Pants

Masaaybe I'll hold off on this for a while. I was hoping the new enemy stuff and the dlc was gonna make the game better for me. Doesn't sound like that's the case.

And they left in the 60fps durability bug?
Wtf

I don't think it's possible for Vaati to say anything bad about anything From did.

Do you have the game or are you basing that on a few preview videos? It's merely going to be random enemies in different spots, that's it. I'm not sure how that constitutes "fanmod" bad when I'm not sure what else they could have done. I don't see how that could be disappointing for someone unless they were expecting something much more like brand new enemies in new spots?

You can still downsample easily via nvidia. Yes you'll lose ENB support though.

Lanrutcon

You mean the dead bodies thing or just the general lower durability?

Hitting a dead body dramatically lowers durability. This also counts for killing blows: some weapons, after killing an enemy, continue swinging through the corpse. Whips, halberds, etc.

Gbraga

Hitting a dead body dramatically lowers durability. This also counts for killing blows: some weapons, after killing an enemy, continue swinging through the corpse. Whips, halberds, etc.

Why the fuck didn't they fix it? WTF?

>_>

I'm also not convinced on the new enemy placements. The new item placement seems fun, having to redisocover and route the game again, but the enemy placement, eeeehhhh

Carlius

Banned
game runs better yes...its like the shadow warrior update, perfomanc eis a lot better but it looks the same lol. whatever, glad i supported from, i want to see all souls games on pc baby

edit: i think the game actually does look better and running on 4k even better. turn the brightness all the way down and it has a very nice color palette going on. worth the 20 bucks for me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They updated all the textures, it looks quite a bit nicer then before.

Liking the changes so far, encounters seem planned out a bit better. Also I'm dodging stuff I couldn't previously, could be nothing but it feels like the hit detection has changed a bit.

Proc

I caved and bought it for PC. Its already kicking my ass and much more challenging than the early go of bloodborne. Loving it. The new enemy placements scare the hell out of me lol.

I've been watching a guy stream a quick play through and the new enemy placements aren't that bad, they're pretty cool actually in some cases.

Dragon for Dragonslayer, Pursuer is reoccuring

But I also noticed they added a lot more NPC summon/invaders, and I even think a blue sentinel NPC, but I couldn't tell if it was a player or NPC from the stream. That's pretty cool in my book, they original game was so lacking in PVP elements in NG at least they did SOMETHING even if it's just NPCs.

Neoweee

So, some things that really weren't emphasized, based on impressions:

- Multiple new summon NPCs.
- Some items for progression & unlocks moved earlier.
- Some items like Estus upgrades moved later/guarded.
- New enemy AI that wasn't used before.
- Multiple new invaders.
- Enemy variety appears a little bit more extensive than suggested before?

Top Bottom