• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RyudBoy

Very tempting to get this on XB1 (I already finished it on 360). Don't know how I feel about having to pay $60. I haven't played any of the DLC yet so that could be worth it. 1080p60 is also nice.

The big difference is there seems to be a lot more AO in the DX11 version. Adds a lot of life to the game going by those screenshots, even if it's not the best implementation.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So they've moved the Dull Ember:
It's now in chest in the bonfire room that the eagle drops you off in at the Bastille. So you can do infusions way sooner now.

16980670376_74aa62f53a_o.png

UberLevi

Alright, so I never beat Vanilla Dark Souls 2. I made it to the
Demon of Song
boss fight and haven't advanced past that. Should I beat the rest of vanilla before I buy this, or just drop the play through now and start a new one? (I also don't own the DLC.)

Shinjica

Demon of Song
boss fight and haven't advanced past that. Should I beat the rest of vanilla before I buy this, or just drop the play through now and start a new one? (I also don't own the DLC.)

You liked the vanilla? If yes, buy it otherwise no, in my opinion the change are not worth the price.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
These dx11 effects in the screenshots are amazing! Does the PS4 version look anywhere near this?

UberLevi

You liked the vanilla? If yes, buy it otherwise no, in my opinion the change are not worth the price.
Oh yeah, I've loved what I've played of DS2. Gameplay is a mile ahead of Dark Souls even if the overall design is less inspired. Just wondering if it's worth it to finish vanilla so I understand the changes better.

that's odd, but yeah in the comparison shots it just looks like the contrast and bloom are jacked up - thank you for the comparisons, though. is there any way you could try running some aggro'd mobs through a boss fog gate (pursuer?) to dispel this stuff for us people on the fence?

Mobs can't go through boss fog-gates, from what I've seen. I've tried aggroing a couple, but nope.

I can't believe they still haven't fixed that durability bug.

I'm probably gonna have to hold off on buying this until they either fix it, or the price drops dramatically.

Or unless the coolest fucking change is there that forces me to buy it.

So they've moved the Dull Ember:
It's now in chest in the bonfire room that the eagle drops you off in at the Bastille. So you can do infusions way sooner now.

That's probably the best change I've heard so far. It was so annoying having to go all the way to iron keep and back for that damn thing.

Corpekata

Banned
I didn't mind the durability thing before as I never really had many instances of it being an issue but I got the Old Whip with my Petrified Something and man does it degrade stupid fast.

Fighting an Old Ironclad and it took it down from like 29 to 7.

One change I've noticed for sequence breakers is you can buy
a Fragrant Branch of Yore from the vendor lady you find in the Forest of Fallen Giants. Granted though I've already seen one new petrified NPC so I will probably use it on them instead just for curiosity's sake.

Demon of Song

Presuming you mean PC I'd get this since you don't own the DLC and it is great. Would cost you 25 bucks for the season pass anyway, so it's like a 5 dollar upgrade difference.

Carlius

Banned
The textures look exactly the same. just darker. I thought they were supposed to be improved.

u need to see it in motion, there is a difference and its immediate. its much cleaner and better looking, and some textures have been upgraded, not all of them. these shots are honestly not doing it justice.

I didn't mind the durability thing before as I never really had many instances of it being an issue but I got the Old Whip with my Petrified Something and man does it degrade stupid fast.

Fighting an Old Ironclad and it took it down from like 29 to 7.

It also created the most immersion breaking strategy ever where you had to make sure you didn't overkill enemies or else your kitana would break because of a glitch.

It's just sooo bad.

UberLevi

Presuming you mean PC I'd get this since you don't own the DLC and it is great. Would cost you 25 bucks for the season pass anyway, so it's like a 5 dollar upgrade difference.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The upgrade price for people interested in the season pass seems like the best value, savings-wise.

u need to see it in motion, there is a difference and its immediate. its much cleaner and better looking, and some textures have been upgraded, not all of them. these shots are honestly not doing it justice.

Yep, 100% this. It's definitely an upgrade, but not a major one.

Playing this in 4K 60fps with 2 sec loading times really is something else when you come from Bloodborne.

Really looking forward to a new playthrough now! Everything feels different and tougher.

One change I've noticed for sequence breakers is you can buy
a Fragrant Branch of Yore from the vendor lady you find in the Forest of Fallen Giants. Granted though I've already seen one new petrified NPC so I will probably use it on them instead just for curiosity's sake.

Considering the whole concept of the early game was to go at it at any order you like, I wouldn't really call it sequence breaking. This change is definitely an improvement.

CruelTott

Neo Member
Anyone know if they've changed stuff around in the DLC areas?
I want to experience both the old and new enemy+item placements, by I only finished the non-DLC part of the DX9 version since I only had a NG+ character when they were released.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People are fixating on the graphics too much.

The 'changed enemy locations' thing on the tin is incredibly significant. They've completely redesigned these areas, far more then just shuffling some guys around. It's a huge change so far.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

The 'changed enemy locations' thing on the tin is incredibly significant. They've completely redesigned these areas, far more then just shuffling some guys around. It's a huge change so far.

But I don't remember my vanilla playthrough :(

Maybe when I start it it will come back to me

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm guessing the release would be too close to BB on the playstation so pushed the consoles back a week to create a bit of breathing room. Honestly I'm not even done with BB yet so it's kind of handy to keep me from being tempted.

Well, it's out on consoles today here in Europe. Don't know why the US has to wait another week.

UberLevi

Still haven't gotten a solid answer on whether I should finish my vanilla playthrough first or drop it and head straight into Scholar.

I might go ahead and do it just under the premise that I didn't know I had to use activate on illusory walls instead of hitting them until I reached Iron Keep.

def sim

I'm liking some of these screenshots. Playing this at 4K/60 is going to be such a refreshing treat again, especially after completing Bloodborne.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you ask yourself that when we have to wait 90% of the time? :p

Yep!

But it's typically just a wait of 1-2 days nowadays, it's rare that we have to wait all that long like in the olden days. We even get consoles almost simultaneously now (the XBO mess notwithstanding).

Still haven't gotten a solid answer on whether I should finish my vanilla playthrough first or drop it and head straight into Scholar.

I might go ahead and do it just under the premise that I didn't know I had to use activate on illusory walls instead of hitting them until I reached Iron Keep.

I say just head straight to scholar.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Man, 6h left before I leave work to play this. Only 25 euros as I didn't own the DLCs so it's a good deal for me.

Keep the impressions coming. Too bad about durability issue, but I'll just work around it with bonfires and repair powder. Recommend that you don't stick to a single weapon - there's several slots after all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I say just head straight to scholar.

Without spoiling anything (as I haven't played this), does the game naturally flow in a way that takes you through the vanilla stuff before getting into the additional content? That's how I would prefer to play it, I think.

derFeef

Yes! Eager to see how it flows now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So is this the defacto OT for new players / old geezers like me that can't remember vanilla? Can we talk about where to go, how to build etc here as if was a new game?

Top Bottom