• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Tarkus

HEX/STR or HEX/Quality is a lot better than HEX/DEX

STR/ADP/VIT plus upgrading weapons. Other than that maybe some armor depending on what you've got already.
Hex/quality is the best but it doesn't rhyme with Hex or wrecks :p

Novocaine, do you want straight hex or a melee component?

I don't know if anyone remembers but I came in the thread hopeless, but right now I just beat
the Old Iron King and the Scorpioness.
Feels pretty good so far but I'm constantly incredibly anxious and nervous over the difficulty and surprises/traps. It's truly an exhilarating experience and I just can't stop playing. The actual really hard stuff is probably yet to come though. :(

What I got so far:

jfqDnkP.jpg

B9R5kFB.jpg

Am I doing it right? I only want to focus on PvE for now. I was inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfm5jlcCkFg
I basically want to do a lot of hexes and sorceries, but I read that a lot of late bosses have dark resistance. The fire longsword is up to +10 because I had the shards for it, didn't really plan that. It's okay but I feel like at this point I should do more damage. I enchant it with Dark Weapon but even that is okay at best. I upgraded a spear to +10 as well and even with Dark on it's fairly disappointing. Also, is it worth upgrading my Hexer's Hood? And should I go for the Lion Mage outfit? I just found that in Shaded Woods and it has nice casting time buff, but is worse in every other category. My Sunset Staff is +3 and it does decent damage, I plan on making it a +5. Or should I go for another staff at this point?

Novocaine

Novocaine, do you want straight hex or a melee component?

Melee. I've found a pretty good setup at the moment, 40 STR/FTH/INT with a Crypt Greatsword and Black Witch Staff. Going to mess around with it at least until I can get the Fume Knights Greatsword so I can mess with that. I'm getting fucking wrecked in Brume Tower though on NG++. I don't think it's the build though, just the area.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't know if anyone remembers but I came in the thread hopeless, but right now I just beat
the Old Iron King and the Scorpioness.
Feels pretty good so far but I'm constantly incredibly anxious and nervous over the difficulty and surprises/traps. It's truly an exhilarating experience and I just can't stop playing. The actual really hard stuff is probably yet to come though. :(

What I got so far:

jfqDnkP.jpg

B9R5kFB.jpg

Am I doing it right? I only want to focus on PvE for now. I was inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfm5jlcCkFg
I basically want to do a lot of hexes and sorceries, but I read that a lot of late bosses have dark resistance. The fire longsword is up to +10 because I had the shards for it, didn't really plan that. It's okay but I feel like at this point I should do more damage. I enchant it with Dark Weapon but even that is okay at best. I upgraded a spear to +10 as well and even with Dark on it's fairly disappointing. Also, is it worth upgrading my Hexer's Hood? And should I go for the Lion Mage outfit? I just found that in Shaded Woods and it has nice casting time buff, but is worse in every other category. My Sunset Staff is +3 and it does decent damage, I plan on making it a +5. Or should I go for another staff at this point?

Sunset staff is the best for hexes, keep it. Whenever you find a Darknight Stone, use it at McDuff to infuse your staff with the Dark element; your hexes will get more powerful. Also, some hexes can only be cast with chimes. I used the Archdrake chime until I found Caitha's Chime in
Drangleic
(and I plan on using the
Chime of Want
once I get it but that's later).

For melee, dark infusion will typically benefit you better than fire, especially if you cast Dark Weapon on it, unless the enemy has a specific weakness to fire. Sadly Darknight stones are fairly rare until late in the game.

As for armour, I just go with what looks best so I can't help here (I typically don't even wear a head piece haha). Regardless, I wouldn't spend the twinkling on upgrading armour just yet though; focus on your staff first. The lion mage robes are decent to upgrade since I think they use regular titanite, so they might be a bit better stat-wise than non-upgraded hexer robes, not sure. My hexer right now wears the pyromancer robe and boots because I like the druidic/shamanic look. ^^ Haven't found anything that suits that look better.

KeRaSh

Made quite some headway over the weekend. Went from Lost Bastille to beating both bosses of Iron Keep.
I really didn't like No-Man's Wharf but Iron Keep comes pretty close in terms of most hated areas so far. Some parts are even worse.

I've started to heavily invest in a Grand Lance and it's a lot of fun. I really like the reach. The only thing I miss about my Bluemoon Greatsword is the crowd control potential but I'm keeping both levelled so I can switch whenever needed. I can't equip both at the same time, though since they are too heavy.

I'm around Lv 100 with 30 VIG, 20 END, 40ish STR, 20 DEX and 25ish ADP (AGI is around 100).

Not sure where to spend my points now. I feel like I have enough health and endurance and the points I spend on ADP don't make a noticeable difference. I'm sub 90% weight and still feel like I'm rolling on the spot.
STR is always a good idea but not sure I want to go beyond 50.

Do I have to start investing in INT or FTH to make use of elemental Infusions? Right now I'm note sure I want to go that route but without it my only choice is RAW, right?
Any recommendations for a Grand Lance and if elemental Infusion is the way to go which stat shoild I focus on?

Tarkus

Melee. I've found a pretty good setup at the moment, 40 STR/FTH/INT with a Crypt Greatsword and Black Witch Staff. Going to mess around with it at least until I can get the Fume Knights Greatsword so I can mess with that. I'm getting fucking wrecked in Brume Tower though on NG++. I don't think it's the build though, just the area.
Don't forget at least 30 DEX if you want the Fume Ultra.

Mistel

Banned
Depends all of the stronger dark scaling weapons are STR there is some benefits though with quality some of the DEX orientated dark weapons do have STR scaling.
I've started to heavily invest in a Grand Lance and it's a lot of fun. I really like the reach. The only thing I miss about my Bluemoon Greatsword is the crowd control potential but I'm keeping both levelled so I can switch whenever needed. I can't equip both at the same time, though since they are too heavy.

I'm around Lv 100 with 30 VIG, 20 END, 40ish STR, 20 DEX and 25ish ADP (AGI is around 100).

Not sure where to spend my points now. I feel like I have enough health and endurance and the points I spend on ADP don't make a noticeable difference. I'm sub 90% weight and still feel like I'm rolling on the spot.
STR is always a good idea but not sure I want to go beyond 50.

Do I have to start investing in INT or FTH to make use of elemental Infusions? Right now I'm note sure I want to go that route but without it my only choice is RAW, right?
Any recommendations for a Grand Lance and if elemental Infusion is the way to go which stat shoild I focus on?
If you want an infused lance either use a Heide Greatlance or the Rampart Golem Lance both already have innate elemental damage, Rampart Golem Lance also has A STR scaling. For a Grand Lance it's a poor choice to go raw as you loose the STR scaling bonus which will end up doing more damage than a raw one, in fact your bluemoon greatsword should be raw if it's not already that benefits far more. As for stats you want more VIT for definite it's helpful with the lances plus it will benefit with your stamina regen and more STR so you get better scaling benefits from the C STR scaling.
Fume ultra VS Crypt Blacksword is interesting as theoretically Fume is the stronger of the pair as it only does physical damage and doesn't have to go through split defences but Crypt Blacksword does post higher numbers pre defences factored in.

I'm using Lightning on my Grand Lance and it's pretty damn awesome.
At 35 STR/30 FTH I have 121 Attack, 102 Lightning Bonus, and my Lightning Grand Lance +10 has 545 Attack.

Novocaine

Don't forget at least 30 DEX if you want the Fume Ultra.

Fume ultra VS Crypt Blacksword is interesting as theoretically Fume is the stronger of the pair as it only does physical damage and doesn't have to go through split defences but Crypt Blacksword does post higher numbers pre defences factored in.

Sorry I should have said, I would spec into a STR/DEX build for the Fume sword, just to play around with. Got to do something with the dozen or so Soul Vessels in my stash.

Sorry I should have said, I would spec into a STR/DEX build for the Fume sword, just to play around with. Got to do something with the dozen or so Soul Vessels in my stash.

Cool, the Fume Greatsword is my favorite UGS, of the ones I tried (I need to try the Crypt Blacksword and maybe the Ivory King UGS, but I doubt they will change my opinion).

Novocaine

Cool, the Fume Greatsword is my favorite UGS, of the ones I tried (I need to try the Crypt Blacksword and maybe the Ivory King UGS, but I doubt they will change my opinion).

The Crypt Blacksword is basically Identical to the King's Ultra Greatsword if you've tried that. I always make sure I have one on a new character, I love it. The one handed weak attack over and over, just obliterates shit.

Mistel

Banned
You mean the the little straight sword not the ultra? Well if you do not to burst your bubble it's more of a novelty than anything whilst being long it's better off just to use the drakekeeper's sword infused with dark. But if you do want to use it don't infuse it with dark it lowers the S DEX scaling to B and that's large drop in terms of DEX scaling.

Novocaine

You mean the the little straight sword not the ultra? Well if you do not to burst your bubble it's more of a novelty than anything whilst being long it's better off just to use the drakekeeper's sword infused with dark. But if you do want to use it don't infuse it with dark it lowers the S DEX scaling to B and that's large drop in terms of DEX scaling.

Nah the UGS. Always the UGS!

Pursuer or Tower of Flame first?

Pursuer is kind of optional. Might as well get him out of the way while you're there. If you're summoning and get someone who's smart he dies in under 10 seconds with the ballistas.

What did the last giant drop or do that is needed to complete the game? The soldier key?

Also hooooly fuck at this dude's tracking and hitboxes

Tarkus

Fume Sword isn't that bad. Exact same moveset as the Sun Sword, which means it's brilliant. Does more damage and has more length than SS. Intrinsic dark damage makes it great for dark infusion + dark weapon buff on a hex/dex build. The only problem is the significant stamina drain for a weapon of this size. It's much more than a novelty to me. My 2nd favorite straight sword.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Last Giant isn't optional no.
Isn't he? Couldn't you just skip the entire Forest and head straight to Heide's?

Edit: oh duh, yeah you need the Soldier's King for the King's Door later in the game. So he's not optional but you could technically leave him for the end of the game where he'd die in one hit haha. I should try it some time...

Jombie

I love the Fume straight sword. There are probably better swords for PvE but it's a killer in PvP. Leave it uninfused and buff it with dark pine resin.

Jombie

Isn't he? Couldn't you just skip the entire Forest and head straight to Heide's?

Edit: oh duh, yeah you need the Soldier's King for the King's Door later in the game. So he's not optional but you could technically leave him for the end of the game where he'd die in one hit haha. I should try it some time...

You eventually need the Soldier's Key.

Tarkus

I love the Fume straight sword. There are probably better swords for PvE but it's a killer in PvP. Leave it uninfused and buff it with dark pine resin.
Why? You get +50 AR + [(Weapon's original dark damage + 50) x 1.25] with Dark Weapon buff. It has built-in dark damage. Infusing it gives it more. That weapon was meant to be infused.

Mistel

Banned
Fume Sword isn't that bad. Exact same moveset as the Sun Sword, which means it's brilliant. Does more damage and has more length than SS. Intrinsic dark damage makes it great for dark infusion + dark weapon buff on a hex/dex build. The only problem is the significant stamina drain for a weapon of this size. It's much more than a novelty to me. My 2nd favorite straight sword.
It loses the scaling quite dramatically for infusions it really doesn't work as well as you think it does infused it's weaker than a dark Drakekeeper's sword or Vargarian sword by a fair bit. Uninfused it does have it's benefits like you said with the length and moveset, but with the stamina requirements you're better off with one of the DEX orientated greatswords even the Mirrah twins (I know they've got differences now after the patch) are better.

Tarkus

It loses the scaling quite dramatically for infusions it really doesn't work as well as you think it does infused it's weaker than a dark Drakekeeper's sword or Vargarian sword by a fair bit. Uninfused it does have it's benefits like you said with the length and moveset, but with the stamina requirements you're better off with one of the DEX orientated greatswords even the Mirrah twins (I know they've got differences now after the patch) are better.
Low S to high A scaling isn't a bad trade off at all for an infusion on a weapon with intrinsic dark damage, especially if you're using the buff. A quality build with 30 INT & 30 FTH infused and buffed should be hitting 530ish with this sword or more. Not bad. This is basically the Balder Side Sword of the game.

Been redoing the game with a new character, going DEX after doing dark souls with a DEX build too. The iron keep is fucking garbage, those alonne knights are a pain in the ass to kill with low poise, and all this cheap platforming got on my nerves...

Rapier is pretty good though, but playing with shit poise is terrible, especially when you don't have room to roll around (which is a lot of places)
Also fuck PvE invasions, don't know why they thought it was a good idea...

I found the Iron Keep a good spot to farm, but I keep getting invaded by an NPC which is not that bad but still pretty annoying. Forgot his name even.

RiggyRob

Been redoing the game with a new character, going DEX after doing dark souls with a DEX build too. The iron keep is fucking garbage, those alonne knights are a pain in the ass to kill with low poise, and all this cheap platforming got on my nerves...

Rapier is pretty good though, but playing with shit poise is terrible, especially when you don't have room to roll around (which is a lot of places)

PvE invasions are an ace way to get Human Effigies though, if I didn't waste 30 of them on Dark Chasm I'd have around 80 now. I struggled with the Alonne Knights too until I figured I could stagger them using strong attacks instead of normal attacks.

I found the Iron Keep a good spot to farm, but I keep getting invaded by an NPC which is not that bad but still pretty annoying. Forgot his name even.

If you kill the invader, they don't come back. There's also several invaders in Iron Keep IIRC.

Yeah there's 3 or 4 at least. 2 in the entrance, and then one or two in the room with the belfry sol access
Yeah they're a decent source for humanity effigies but I already have enough with the rest of the game, always have 20+ on me. Some of them are incredibly cheap and others are super easy.

Speaking of invasions: I keep getting invaded by naked players. Is that some kind of troll action? I feel like I'm being part of a YouTube PvE highlight reel.

Inspired by a twitch stream I was watching (CohhCarnage), now that the DLC is done I decided to finally stop cheesing the game and try and play it "better". I copied his 2H Katana/rolling/no summon build. After getting over the initial hurdle of no longer having a shield and dying a lot, now this is playing much better! I'm rarely getting hit by bosses, and a +9 Uchigatana is just crazily powerful... it's made the game so much easier. To be up front, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, I've just got to Iron keep after clearing out everything else. But with no summons, this thing just slices through bosses, I'd guess that most of them go down in under a dozen hits, some of them even less than that.

It is not going to be an achievement for many of you, but it felt so good to stop running from things, and beating them instead. The pursuer is a prime example, I used to have so much trouble with him, now I beat him every time he shows up and understand when people said "he's a great way to get extra twinkling titanite".

I don't have a good source of slabs right now, so I didn't +10 the Uchigatana yet. I'm just starting Iron Keep, is it worth it to farm a Blacksteel Katana and +10 that instead? Or there is not really much of a difference?

Surely the Uchigatana will run out of steam soon, what are some good suggestions that I could replace it with? It seems to do as much damage as early game big 2H strength weapons, but it is much faster and takes a lot less stamina...

Risgroo

Where can I find better weapons? I'm still using my broadsword (+4), and it's probably time to replace it.
I prefer to use a sword and shield, so anything similar to the broadsword would be great.

My stats:
VGR 23
END 17
VIT 17
ATN 5
STR 20
DEX 11
ADP 21
INT 6
FTH 6

EDIT: Forgot to mention where I am, hah. Just about to enter Undead Purgatory, as soon as I can finish off the NPC by the bridge.

Mike M

Nick N

Have you tried using the Stone Ring? It should boost your poise damage enough to stagger the knights (but not the captains) with a rapier's R1 attack. That's how I did it, any way. The only troublesome part for me was the pair up by the Pharos contraption fountain in the area with the furnace, since it was pretty much impossible to kite them without aggroing both at the same time, the rest were easy to pick off and stun lock to death.

And dude, PvE invasions have been there since Demon's Souls.

Where can I find better weapons? I'm still using my broadsword (+4), and it's probably time to replace it.
I prefer to use a sword and shield, so anything similar to the broadsword would be great.

My stats:
VGR 23
END 17
VIT 17
ATN 5
STR 20
DEX 11
ADP 21
INT 6
FTH 6

EDIT: Forgot to mention where I am, hah. Just about to enter Undead Purgatory, as soon as I can finish off the NPC by the bridge.
Blacksmith NPCs sell some weapons. The ones in majula, lost bastille, and the crow one which stays in the spider area I think. You can easily farm large titanite shards in huntsman's copse, starting from the second bonfire just drop down the ledge in front of you, you'll get to a cave with a giant basilisk that drops 3 of them. Kill it, homeward bone back to the bonfire, rest and repeat
You'll get the zweihander in the iron keep which is a bit further down the way, it's pretty good but really huge so it's impractical in small spaces just so you know

@above : yeah I know but I didn't get as many in dark souls since I played most of the game hollowed
Didn't try the stone ring, haven't got it on that character yet, I'll try that tonight

GulAtiCa

Was in Drangleic Castle yesterday. Was taking a bath with that corrosive acid pool when I got invaded just as I was about to open that chest in there. There was I with no clothes on, no weapons and no rings. I freaked out a little. lol

I dodged out of there quickly and went up a little bit the stairs to that large room right around the corner. Luckily the guy was way ahead of me and took his sweet time. I put all my stuff back on and waited for the guy to come down. Hit him with a few Great Fire Balls and then killed him.

Was a little scared for a moment, but I do love that sense of fear.

pa22word

I've found it kinda childish when other posters laugh at people having trouble with pursuer. Even if you've played previous souls games he can be challenging due to the way adp stacks I frames against you at the start of the game, and him being the first really punishing (terms of damage dealt relative to health at time of contact) enemy you'll likely encounter means lots of frustration. Unless you go into the game knowing about iframe and adp being linked the first few hours of souls 2 is bound to be needlessly frustrating for a lot of people.

GulAtiCa

I had SO much trouble with him when I started playing. Such an annoying boss when your new to the series. Doesn't help for new people that he shows up often now.

Nowadays, I am pretty good with my rolls (not 100% perfect though). And can take him easily nowadays. But I don't think badly on people who can't, he can be a pain in the butt. I used to be like that.

Heck, during my 1st playthrough, I used to cheese him with my Flame Swathes from the doorway in that room where the Smelter Demon was. Not sure if that "bug" is still there. But you could literally stand near the door but not inside. So he is still under the ground and spawned, but not "above". Heck, even with that and taking his health to like 60%, I'd still get my ass handed to me for like 20 times till I killed him. :lol

KeRaSh

What really helped me consistently beat the Pursuer is to dodge roll to the left. I instinctively roll right most of the time but this little hint really did the trick. If you're low on stamina just skip one or two hit rounda and make sure your stamina is high enough to dodge, attack and dodge again before you swing at him again. I'm using heavy weapons so it can be really unforgiving if you overcomit.

Mike M

Nick N
Of course the Pursuer is easy if you know the fight and have higher ADP and stronger weapons in subsequent encounters. But yeah, someone new to the game (even series veterans can get thrown by the fucked up hitboxes and changes to I-frames) is naturally likely to have a hard time to start with.

Souls-snobbery is just... Well, not the worst community I've ever seen, but "git gud" is profoundly unhelpful when someone asks for tips.

My Drangleic sword +5 doesn't show up anymore in my inventory when I want to reinforce it at the blacksmith, is it at max level or something? It sure isn't that powerful but I like the moveset. Would be annoying as I am in the undead crypt now and never bothered with other weapons.

What really helped me consistently beat the Pursuer is to dodge roll to the left. I instinctively roll right most of the time but this little hint really did the trick. If you're low on stamina just skip one or two hit rounda and make sure your stamina is high enough to dodge, attack and dodge again before you swing at him again. I'm using heavy weapons so it can be really unforgiving if you overcomit.
After BSB I roll to the left more often, however even though my ADP is 20, I'm still having hit box issues. I'm no newcomer to the series and I don't mind hard bosses but his grab range and sweeping attack hit box are completely fucked.

Which is odd considering I thought the Last Giant was pretty decent in that regard.

RiggyRob

Episode 7, myself vs. Belfry Gargoyles: https://youtu.be/3aNQtFvf96o

Seeing Masterless Glencour swing around the Zweihander basically convinced me I wanted to use it myself, I was just impressed by the stagger it caused to the gargoyles.

I wish there was more backstory to the NPC summons/invaders, it just doesn't feel the same when summoning Glencour/fighting Armourer Dennis compared to summoning Alfred /fighting Djura in Bloodborne.

Top Bottom