• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I'm not sure strength ring is good when you already have 85 hah, I would ditch that. Not too sure about poise but if it lets you take one more attack why not.

Playing as DEX with light armor in DS1 then DS2 makes me realize how useless physical DEF and in general heavy armor feels... I feel like you just need HP and to get good, the physical reduction doesn't offer that much and mobility is much better. The only thing that hurt me real bad so far was the demon of song because I fucked up, but most big bosses can't even two shot me so I got time to heal up
The only downside is low poise so trash monsters sometimes combo me which leads to death but that's pretty rare and only happens if they're 2 or 3

Mistel

Banned
So I'm running around as a mock Fume Knight at the moment in NG+4, it's pretty fun. But for all the hours I've spent on this game I've never really paid attention to poise. Can someone tell me if I'd be better off using Ring of Giants and/or Stone Ring in place of Str/RoB? I know that a certain level of poise lets you block an extra attack with the FUGS L2, but is it worth dropping all of the AP? I'd mess around with it but I'd need to respec because my equip load is basically capped at the moment.

Current stats here - https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/44017
The strength ring is really a wasted slot on a build like that, RoB is fine though you should have enough poise already but if you ditch the blackbow and use the giants ring you'd have 90+ poise probably want higher VIT maybe you're not even close to the hard cap.

Novocaine

Oops, i actually have 75 STR.

I'm pretty okay with surviving but VIT was going to be my next stat I pump points into either way, maybe I should use Life Ring instead of Giants Ring. I have never gone past NG+ so I've never had to even think about stat caps.

Mistel

Banned
Oops, i actually have 75 STR.

I'm pretty okay with surviving but VIT was going to be my next stat I pump points into either way, maybe I should use Life Ring instead of Giants Ring. I have never gone past NG+ so I've never had to even think about stat caps.
Life ring is probably not what you need then a chloranthy ring would help with stamina regen.

Mike M

Nick N
How much damage are you taking at NG+4? Wondering if poise is worth a ring slot if you're just going to get killed before you even land a blow.

RiggyRob

Episode 8, myself vs. The Lost Sinner: https://youtu.be/ZIPoR_l1xpw

So, if The Lost Sinner is actually the bug that crawls inside the mask... who is the person wearing the mask?

Also, for the first of the Great Souls, The Lost Sinner is not all that threatening. I almost beat it with the torches unlit on my first go, just ran out of Estus and mistimed my roll - the lock on doesn't break as often as you'd think.

I just realized it might be fun and cool to get Straid's Black Armour Set, but I only traded two Boss Souls with him so far. I only have a couple of bosses left of which I'm not sure I'll go to Straid with (might see Ornifex.) Can I do early bosses with an Ascetic and receive another Boss Soul to trade with Straid? Or join the Champions Covenant and redo bosses?

Mistel

Banned
I just realized it might be fun and cool to get Straid's Black Armour Set, but I only traded two Boss Souls with him so far. I only have a couple of bosses left of which I'm not sure I'll go to Straid with (might see Ornifex.) Can I do early bosses with an Ascetic and receive another Boss Soul to trade with Straid? Or join the Champions Covenant and redo bosses?
The only overlap they have with boss souls other than the old souls. It depends on what bosses you have left, you can use an ascetic and champions doesn't work like that.

Novocaine

How much damage are you taking at NG+4? Wondering if poise is worth a ring slot if you're just going to get killed before you even land a blow.

It's not that bad really. Ruin Sentinels were taking off about half my life on a hit. I'm more interested in the potential to stagger (unless I'm misunderstanding how poise works).

Mistel

Banned
It's not that bad really. Ruin Sentinels were taking off about half my life on a hit. I'm more interested in the potential to stagger (unless I'm misunderstanding how poise works).
Sort of there's your poise and enemy poise they work quite differently.

Are hexes fun to use? I played a Faith build the first time through and it was fun as hell lobbing lightning at everything. Been wondering if I should do a hex build for a second run before DS3 comes out.

If you've already done something magic related I wouldn't mess with it altogether. I already can't wait to do a fully melee character, feels like the most skilled and challenging to play either way.

lol, tried the snow DLC, went as far as the first bonfire
fuck this thing, I'm not even bothering to go further, area is FILLED with ice soldiers that I can never stun and they're a pain in the ass to kill, this shit's just anti fun

Episode 8, myself vs. The Lost Sinner: https://youtu.be/ZIPoR_l1xpw

So, if The Lost Sinner is actually the bug that crawls inside the mask... who is the person wearing the mask?

Also, for the first of the Great Souls, The Lost Sinner is not all that threatening. I almost beat it with the torches unlit on my first go, just ran out of Estus and mistimed my roll - the lock on doesn't break as often as you'd think.

it was easy cause you could block everything and were fast enough to get hits afterwards, it can be a pain if you're heavier
you should start rolling to dodge attacks, especially on easy ones like that. try to get your ADP high enough to have 99 agility if you're having trouble

Tarkus

fuck this thing, I'm not even bothering to go further, area is FILLED with ice soldiers that I can never stun and they're a pain in the ass to kill, this shit's just anti fun
Heh that's the easiest DLC. The enemies in that one are definitely stunnable.

Really ? got all the way to fume knight in the iron king DLC and it wasn't as painfully annoying, lost a few times to fume knight and didn't bother more

Kadin

About to beat Dark Souls (the first one) within the next day or two. Anything I should be prepared for when I jump into DS2? I'll be playing on X1 and I remember hearing early on that it was quite a different type of game. Would like to go in with the proper expectations.

Mike M

Nick N
About to beat Dark Souls (the first one) within the next day or two. Anything I should be prepared for when I jump into DS2? I'll be playing on X1 and I remember hearing early on that it was quite a different type of game. Would like to go in with the proper expectations.
I don't know about it being *quite* different, but it's definitely its own beast.

-Changes to the character stat categories and what they govern. Invincibility on roll is ADP, while END is primarily stamina bar while VIT grants greater equip load.

-Heavy hitting weapons have weird controls.

-4 ring slots, seems to be lots more weapons, armor, and items in general.

-Hollowing upon death gradually reduced your health. More like Demon's Souls than D1.

-Revamped multiplayer stuff (I.e you can be invaded while hollow)

-Estus is initially limited, but other healing items are like candy at Halloween

-Dual wielding and power stances

-Modestly useful torch system

-Level design is mostly straight A->B->C with very little interconnectedness

-Various means of controlling difficulty to some degree.

Kadin

Awesome, thanks for that detailed response. So you can get invaded when hollowed... yikes. Is that as bad as it seems like it might be?

As to the level design, is it more hub-based like Demon Souls?

Mike M

Nick N
Awesome, thanks for that detailed response. So you can get invaded when hollowed... yikes. Is that as bad as it seems like it might be?
Pretty much, but you can block them for a limited time of also blocking phantoms.

As to the level design, is it more hub-based like Demon Souls?

Yeah, kinda. There's a hub from which there are several linear routes that branch out from it, though the routes have more variety from area to area than the levels of a given archstone.

RiggyRob

it was easy cause you could block everything and were fast enough to get hits afterwards, it can be a pain if you're heavier
you should start rolling to dodge attacks, especially on easy ones like that. try to get your ADP high enough to have 99 agility if you're having trouble

Yeah, the Drangleic shield was a god-tier upgrade from the Leather shield. Generally I find blocking the hit is safer than trying to roll since the wonky hit boxes mean you can still get hit even though you avoided it.

I've just been doing the Sunken Ivory King DLC and I'm having the same problem initially with ice soldiers as with the Alonne Knights in Iron Keep - they move too fast and don't get staggered with attacks. I try attacking with the +10 Zweihander, it's too slow and they get a hit in, I try the +10 Fire Longsword and it doesn't stagger them, and the +5 Moonlight Greatsword does neither.

Jombie

I've been doing another sl1 and I've NEVER had as much trouble with a boss at base level as I have with Aava. It's frustrating because the only thing that makes it hard is having base agility and its hixboxes are wildly inconsistent. It pisses me off that I can one bro Ornstein and Smough, Manus, and Fume Knight (without pyro) and fucking Aava makes me want to pull my hair out.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, the Drangleic shield was a god-tier upgrade from the Leather shield. Generally I find blocking the hit is safer than trying to roll since the wonky hit boxes mean you can still get hit even though you avoided it.
It depends on the moveset really sometimes it's better to block other times not so much.
You'll notice that the movement is a bit floaty pretty much instantly compared to DS1.

Can anyone recommend me a fun and thorough playthrough series of DS1 on YouTube (or wherever)? I unfortunately don't own a 360 anymore and don't have a PC to play it, but I would like to revisit it.

Novocaine

Can anyone recommend me a fun and thorough playthrough series of DS1 on YouTube (or wherever)? I unfortunately don't own a 360 anymore and don't have a PC to play it, but I would like to revisit it.

Do you have an Xbox One? It will be BC soon because it's going to be a (pre-order?) bonus with DS3.

Vinny's videos on GB are fun but it's not complete.

down 2 orth

Holy crap those DLC bosses are tough!

I was loving how I could just breeze through the bosses of the main game, but after coming up against the dragon and then that damn Fume Knight, I'm kind of dreading going up against the boss for the third DLC. Is he/she/it on the same level of difficulty?

Novocaine

Holy crap those DLC bosses are tough!

I was loving how I could just breeze through the bosses of the main game, but after coming up against the dragon and then that damn Fume Knight, I'm kind of dreading going up against the boss for the third DLC. Is he/she/it on the same level of difficulty?

I found the Fume Knight and Alonne to be the most difficult out of the DLC bosses myself. The trio in Shulva is pretty fucked up though.

Lumine

So.. I just found out about the sublime bone dust. Yeah that went completely past me for the whole game. Oops. At least now I upgraded my Estus Flasks to +5.

Anyway, I got 4 Giant Souls now. The memories in Forest of Fallen Giants were actually really easy and short. They looked real intimidating at first though. Spoke to the King in his memory, which apparently I can do now. Not that he had much to say. Can I kill him in his memory? I probably shouldn't anyway.
So that leaves Ancient Dragon, Vendrick, Throne Watcher, Defender and the final boss I think. And the DLC area's. Though I'm still unsure how to access them. I did find some keys so I imagine they're for the DLC. Just have to look for the right doors I suppose. Game still being needlessly vague or perhaps I just missed something.

Getting a bit tired of my Uchigatana +10. Wonder if I should try something else.

Mistel

Banned
Can I kill him in his memory? I probably shouldn't anyway.
So that leaves Ancient Dragon, Vendrick, Throne Watcher, Defender and the final boss I think. And the DLC area's. Though I'm still unsure how to access them. I did find some keys so I imagine they're for the DLC. Just have to look for the right doors I suppose. Game still being needlessly vague or perhaps I just missed something.

Getting a bit tired of my Uchigatana +10. Wonder if I should try something else.
Try it if you want, if you're already DEX orientated maybe some of the DEX orientated greatswords or the DEX halberds?

Mike M

Nick N
So.. I just found out about the sublime bone dust. Yeah that went completely past me for the whole game. Oops. At least now I upgraded my Estus Flasks to +5.

Anyway, I got 4 Giant Souls now. The memories in Forest of Fallen Giants were actually really easy and short. They looked real intimidating at first though. Spoke to the King in his memory, which apparently I can do now. Not that he had much to say. Can I kill him in his memory? I probably shouldn't anyway.

Access to the DLC areas require items that are not actual keys, but they're also hard to miss. You've likely picked them up already.

The ways to get to the DLC areas aren't easy to miss, either.
Weird snake fountain things warping you off to other places

I'm trying to get all achivements on Steam, but the more I play with my hexer, the more I hate it. At this point I'm thinking of going pure blacksteel katana, with some support miracles.

I can't fight it, I'm a melee guy. Definetly going melee on DkS3.

Regarding the keys, the one you get killing giants is easy to miss, is that the frozen flower? The other two are easy.

Lumine

Yeah turns out I had all the right keys already. Except the Dragon Talon, but I did have the forgotten key. I guess I just got unlucky and found them in the wrong order when trying the doors. No matter, I did end up finding another blacksmith along the way. Traded some boss souls for some weapons I'd like to try later. Like the Drakewing Ultra Greatsword. It seems pretty fast for a big sword and scales with dex. And the Curved Dragon Greatsword, but haven't tried that yet. Unfortunately I seem to suck with the slow weapons, so I might just go back to my Uchigatana anyway. :p
First I'm gonna try some of these DLC area's. Any recommended to do first?

Tarkus

I have a Dualshock 4 that I've been running on PS4. It's almost a year old and already has the L2 sticking when I don't push it. Anybody else have this problem?

down 2 orth

I found the Fume Knight and Alonne to be the most difficult out of the DLC bosses myself. The trio in Shulva is pretty fucked up though.

Yeah I spent a lot of tries on the trio as well. It felt less frustrating because they clearly had a few weaknesses, even if exploiting those weaknesses to take them down one by one was a bit of a challenge. Fume Knight was just intimidating as hell though because he seemed totally cheese-proof to me, and adjusting to his move set took a really long time. Still haven't gone up against Allone, but I'll try that tonight.

Any tips for Lost Sinner NG+? Decided I would use an Ascetic and try for Chaos Blade, but I haven't been able to take her down with her two caster helpers.

Did I butcher a quest line?

I talked to Navlaan while human, didn't get much out of it. I only just found out I had to be hollow. Went on to pull the lever at the end of the level and fight the dragon. Apparently he's set off free now and ready to invade me. I was hoping to buy stuff from him. I haven't had the chance to go back to the fog gate yet to see if he's there. Did I ruin it?

Did I butcher a quest line?

I talked to Navlaan while human, didn't get much out of it. I only just found out I had to be hollow. Went on to pull the lever at the end of the level and fight the dragon. Apparently he's set off free now and ready to invade me. I was hoping to buy stuff from him. I haven't had the chance to go back to the fog gate yet to see if he's there. Did I ruin it?

yes you did
it is tempting though

Novocaine

Yeah don't pull the lever. He will invade you a few times and he's a jerk.

There's always NG+, and you can take every item he asks for up at once and get it out of the way in one go so unless you're avoiding spoilers maybe figure out what they are and have them in your stash before your NG+.

Top Bottom