• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

kagamin

Are there a lot of players that get frustrated with the Iron Passage on the second DLC?

Because, I'm really frustrated with it. I mean, I'm so angry and uptight now that I just want to break the shit out of something. I was having a pretty nice day until I started playing, so if this is the future of the souls series, I might just skip out on the third one.

No, the area is just terribly balanced in favor of using a group of summoned players, you can always use the switch activated passages, but you have to be decently fast and have a good amount of stamina to make both.

down 2 orth

No, the area is just terribly balanced in favor of using a group of summoned players, you can always use the switch activated passages, but you have to be decently fast and have a good amount of stamina to make both.

Are those switches before or after the boss? I haven't seen any up to his area except for the jail cells at the beginning of the level.

How do I get get up the Dragon Shrine staircase without attracting all the enemies? Is it just the knight with the two greatswords (I think) who is at the top of the stairs who I need to kill?

How do I get get up the Dragon Shrine staircase without attracting all the enemies? Is it just the knight with the two greatswords (I think) who is at the top of the stairs who I need to kill?

Every time you see a big knight, you're actually duelled into a fight with it. If you win, the other knights will leave you be. If you run away from a duel, they'll all become hostile. And don't summon NPC's as they will attack anyone.

Every time you see a big knight, you're actually duelled into a fight with it. If you win, the other knights will leave you be. If you run away from a duel, they'll all become hostile. And don't summon NPC's as they will attack anyone.

Yeah, I was killing the big knights, but I didn't know which one to kill on the way up the big staircase. Running past them didn't work, because the dualwielding knight on the top of the stairs and the ones in the corridor before you get to the
dragon
started chasing me.

Tarkus

Yeah, I was killing the big knights, but I didn't know which one to kill on the way up the big staircase. Running past them didn't work, because the dualwielding knight on the top of the stairs and the ones in the corridor before you get to the
dragon
started chasing me.
Just kill the hostile one at the top of staircase. The others will leave you alone if you kill him.

Risgroo

I'm at Dragon Shrine as well, and I have no idea how to beat the big knights. The one with the mace just attacks me until I run out of stamina. Any tips?

I'm at Dragon Shrine as well, and I have no idea how to beat the big knights. The one with the mace just attacks me until I run out of stamina. Any tips?

I think he has like three moves at best, try to dodge towards him when he swings and stay as close as possible. He will fuck you up if you try to keep a distance because that mace is long as fuck.

I just finished Dragon Shrine on my first attempt today, after trying a few times last night.
If you have a greatshield you can just tank him. I only have 100 Stamina (plus however much the second dragon ring gives you), and his attack where he keeps slamming and slamming his mace only drained about 1/3rd of my stamina while I blocked it with my Tower Shield.
When I was fighting him yesterday I was just shooting him twice with Avelyn to provoke him, then finishing him off on the staircase.

Risgroo

Finished the game! I definitely disagree with the general consensus on GAF - enjoyed this one a lot more than DS1, and about as much as Bloodborne. So glad I gave it a chance.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've been wary of upgrading my weapons and armor since titanite seems a lot rarer than DS1 and I'm not sure what I'm gonna settle on yet.
Titanite is far more plentiful and easy to obtain than in all the other games, really. You can get several slabs, chunks can be farmed super easily early on (via the Belfry covenant) and bought in infinite supply in late game, and vendors quickly sell you infinite shards and large shards.

So don't worry and do upgrade a weapon, it'll make things much easier for you.

Titanite is far more plentiful and easy to obtain than in all the other games, really. You can get several slabs, chunks can be farmed super easily early on (via the Belfry covenant) and bought in infinite supply in late game, and vendors quickly sell you infinite shards and large shards.

So don't worry and do upgrade a weapon, it'll make things much easier for you.
Alright, I was gonna go straight for the Halberd upgrade but I'm not sure if I have enough endurance to use it properly yet. Might stick with the hand axe or battle axe for now.

I dunno, in dark souls 1 I found a black knight great sword by chance and then got a black knight Halberd and immediately bumped it to +5 and was able to defeat Oreo and Smores on my second try. In Bloodborne the parry mechanic was rediculously strong and you had 20 blood vials on top of the regenerative mechanic. Dark 2 is a lot harder for me for multiple reasons. The grinding required to get adp up to snuff, the health losing mechanic, the lack of estus flasks, the fact that estus is a gradual heal now...

Funnily enough I've heard people bitching about the mobs of enemies and I haven't had an issue with that at all yet. I've only really died to the pursuer, ruin sentinels and the heide's guys so far.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yep, your experience with any Dark Souls game can vary a lot depending on your build and the gear you use (or in your case, get by chance). My boyfriend died repeatedly to Capra, the Gargoyles, and... Iron Golem (kept falling lol), but defeated S&O, Four Kings, Kalameet and Artorias second try, and Manus first try.

And yeah the complaints about the mobs are overstated, Bloodborne has way many more enemy hordes to deal with.

Yep, your experience with any Dark Souls game can vary a lot depending on your build and the gear you use (or in your case, get by chance). My boyfriend died repeatedly to Capra, the Gargoyles, and... Iron Golem (kept falling lol), but defeated S&O, Four Kings, Kalameet and Artorias second try, and Manus first try.

And yeah the complaints about the mobs are overstated, Bloodborne has way many more enemy hordes to deal with.

Vanilla DS2 was my first Souls game and my first build was DEX + rolling based when I had no idea how ADP worked. For a while I thought the entire series really was as impossibly hard as the internet would have you believe. :p

kagamin

Are those switches before or after the boss? I haven't seen any up to his area except for the jail cells at the beginning of the level.

That's one of them, once you activate it the cage at the end will stay open for a certain amount of time, you have to reach it before it closes if you want to continue using that path, otherwise you'll be stuck on the other side with loads of enemies.

Finally all achivements!

Ky10jYt.jpg

BB has considerably lower stamina consumption on evasion and the weapons moves, the regain HP system, healing is faster and among other things.

BB combat is prepared for dealing with hordes, is part of a much faster and prepared fron agression combat system, compared to DkS2 and is not really the same...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
BB has considerably lower stamina consumption on evasion and the weapons moves, the regain HP system, healing is faster and among other things.

BB combat is prepared for dealing with hordes, is part of a much faster and prepared fron agression combat system, compared to DkS2 and is not really the same...
Meh. DS2 has plenty of tools to handle enemy hordes too; shields, bows, magic, enemy-distracting consumables are common instead of rare (Yearn/alluring skulls vs blood cocktails), heavy armour with poise, etc.

Both games offer you tools to handle large hordes. But in Bloodborne the hordes are more common and usually way more numerous. Some of the chalice dungeons have insane hordes, and when you are in a cursed dungeon with almost no health and die in two hits, well...

I guess you could say.... my weapons are weak old man.

I'm trying to prep for Dark Souls 3 with a build (looking at level 100 but also 125). Mind if I run this build by you guys to see if it makes sense since most people in this thread are extremely knowledgable of Dark Souls and I've only played Bloodborne. I tried reading through a lot of new information that came out this week to help base my potential build. Of course the game isn't out yet so nothing is set in stone but seeing how the JP version releases before the NA version I wanted to get a head start on asking questions to avoid entering spoiler threads. I would like to play my first playthrough with the PVP build I would want to use just so I can really get to know the build in both PVE and PVP.

Code:
[B]Class:[/B] Knight
[B]Soul Level:[/B] 125
[B]Vigor:[/B] 50
[B]Attunement:[/B] 19
[B]Endurance:[/B] 20
[B]Vitality:[/B] 15
[B]Strength:[/B] 14
[B]Dexterity:[/B] 40
[B]Intelligence:[/B] 40
[B]Faith:[/B] 9
[B]Luck:[/B] 7

I'm trying to go for a DEX/INT playstyle that will allow me to use quick attacking weapons (katanas), certain spells (sorceries and possibly hexes), and possibly bows. I would like this playstyle because it let me switch up on the fly on how I can fight instead of just switching weapons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why the fuck would you be asking info about a build about a game that isn't even out, in this thread of all places? Avoiding spoilers indeed... SMH, some of us are going in 100% blind, so I'd really prefer if you kindly got your DS3 talk out of here.

Why the fuck would you be asking info about a build about a game that isn't even out, in this thread of all places? Avoiding spoilers indeed... SMH, some of us are going in 100% blind, so I'd really prefer if you kindly got your DS3 talk out of here.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just asking if this build makes sense in terms of Dark Souls 2 stats and logic

Mistel

Banned
I don't actually get the reference in the OT.... :| I preferred the old OT with "Bearer of seek seek least". xD
I don't think anybody does it's nearly as bad as the original one of "lightning returns" out of "Bearer... seek... seek least..." "Prepare to Vengarl", and "Give us smooth,, Give us silky it's definitely the weakest.

Tarkus

I don't actually get the reference in the OT.... :| I preferred the old OT with "Bearer of seek seek least". xD

Yeah I don't get the reference either lol

The old title is pretty funny though.
It's a reference to the durability bug that came along with 60 fps and how everybody was bitching and melting down. A mod changed the thread title because of it. I'm not sure where the phrase itself came from.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
But that bug got fixed in Scholar.

The only source of the quote I can think of is Darth Vader ("your powers are weak, old man") but that's kind of a stretch, anyway.

Novocaine

It was still in at the start of the game though, I guess when the OT got made.

Well maybe something better can be made for OT2 if it ever happens.

Tarkus

But that bug got fixed in Scholar.

The only source of the quote I can think of is Darth Vader ("your powers are weak, old man") but that's kind of a stretch, anyway.
It released on new consoles with the bug. Page 12 (100 posts per page) is where people began realizing it based on previews and leaks. It was patched in May 2015 I believe, a month after being released.

Meh. DS2 has plenty of tools to handle enemy hordes too; shields, bows, magic, enemy-distracting consumables are common instead of rare (Yearn/alluring skulls vs blood cocktails), heavy armour with poise, etc.

Both games offer you tools to handle large hordes. But in Bloodborne the hordes are more common and usually way more numerous. Some of the chalice dungeons have insane hordes, and when you are in a cursed dungeon with almost no health and die in two hits, well...

Most of the thigs you mentioned are specific for builds, a pure melee won't have most of these choices (and poise is a joke on DS2), compared to BB which are inherent to the combat system.

And except for cursed layer 5 dungeons, they are very manageable in the base game, those are part of really hard optional content after all.

I mean, I just went to NG+ on DS2 and there's this part, before entering the gutter when you find 2 red enemies (one spamming magic user, the other a melee) in which as soon you go down you have like 3 of those dudes that goes all kamikaze and they explode, oh and you are on water. Nothing as bad in the base game on BB.

I'm trying to prep for Dark Souls 3 with a build (looking at level 100 but also 125). Mind if I run this build by you guys to see if it makes sense since most people in this thread are extremely knowledgable of Dark Souls and I've only played Bloodborne. I tried reading through a lot of new information that came out this week to help base my potential build. Of course the game isn't out yet so nothing is set in stone but seeing how the JP version releases before the NA version I wanted to get a head start on asking questions to avoid entering spoiler threads. I would like to play my first playthrough with the PVP build I would want to use just so I can really get to know the build in both PVE and PVP.

IMO is too soon.

We don't know what spells there are, how weapons scales, stat requirements, we don't know how luck fits yet for potential builds, not even mentioning the fact that the stats aren't even the same, etc...

If you want a PvP build as your first one, you should wait and see what people cooks up after the JP, because anything aside from that will just based on assumptions and previous experiences with the past games that won't necesarly translate on DS3.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Most of the thigs you mentioned are specific for builds, a pure melee won't have most of these choices (and poise is a joke on DS2), compared to BB which are inherent to the combat system.

And except for cursed layer 5 dungeons, they are very manageable in the base game, those are part of really hard optional content after all.
Sure, but I never found any enemy horde in DS2 to be that hard either (and none of them are as hard as some chalice dungeon hordes, ever). Also, no, you probably won't have a build that does all of that, but nothing about "pure melee" prevents you from using shields, heavy armour, alluring skulls, or even ranged support (throwing knives, firebombs, and hell even pure melee can use crossbows or bows to separate/lure enemies). As for poise, it's not that good compared to how broken it is in DS1, but it still helps not getting constantly stunlocked compared to BB where you get stunlocked very easily.

I mean, I just went to NG+ on DS2
Well yeah... that's NG+.

I like the fact that NG+ mixes things up and has these nasty surprises. If you don't like those, you can always not do NG+, it's completely optional after all. Never saw the point of playing PvE NG+ in the other games, tbh.

IMO is too soon.

We don't know what spells there are, how weapons scales, stat requirements, we don't know how luck fits yet for potential builds, not even mentioning the fact that the stats aren't even the same, etc...

If you want a PvP build as your first one, you should wait and see what people cooks up after the JP, because anything aside from that will just based on assumptions and previous experiences with the past games that won't necesarly translate on DS3.
I agree completely, it's honestly a really baffling post. They really didn't think things through at all, lol.

wiibomb

Hello people, sorry if this shouldn't be here, but recently (today) I started Dark Soul 1 and I've been hitting on a wall with a boss I don't know if I should be fighfing now.

I tried to find a community thread or a Dark Souls 1 thread but all of them are quite old, so may be someone can point me where to go? Thanks

This game is amazing, btw

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it worth upgrading greatshields/shields in general?

Am I supposed to be using the attack for greatshields like ever?
Yes, and no. You upgrade shields (and greatshields) for their increased stability (and slightly better damage reduction %).

Hello people, sorry if this shouldn't be here, but recently (today) I started Dark Soul 1 and I've been hitting on a wall with boss I don't know if I should be fighfing now.

I tried to find a community thread or a Dark Souls 1 thread but all of them are quite old, so may be someone can point me where to go? Thanks

This game is amazing, btw
OT's still active: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755000

Mistel

Banned
Then why does the l2 for them even exist as is? Just for shits and giggles? And when I was going to upgrade the dragon greatshield or whatever it is it didn't note an increase in stability at all.
They do increase in stability you need to upgrade them more than just the once those on the titanite path need to get to +2 to show increase. Greatshields as a weapon have their uses but you won't usually exploit them in PvE.

6for8

Is it worth upgrading greatshields/shields in general?

Am I supposed to be using the attack for greatshields like ever?

You should consider infusion on a shield. An example is the royal kite shield with 100% physical reduction and 74% fire. With fire infusion it is 98% physical and 88% fire, you won't even notice the 2% physical getting through. It lowers the other elemental reduction as well but not enough to matter.

Yopis

Finished the game! I definitely disagree with the general consensus on GAF - enjoyed this one a lot more than DS1, and about as much as Bloodborne. So glad I gave it a chance.

Nearing the end myself having a blast. Love all the Souls games.

Risgroo

Any particular order I should play the DLCs in?
Nearing the end myself having a blast. Love all the Souls games.

I really need to go back and finish Demon's Souls and Dark Souls :p Not sure if I should do that before or after DS3, though. I don't wanna get burned out.

Top Bottom