• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RiggyRob

Did I butcher a quest line?

I talked to Navlaan while human, didn't get much out of it. I only just found out I had to be hollow. Went on to pull the lever at the end of the level and fight the dragon. Apparently he's set off free now and ready to invade me. I was hoping to buy stuff from him. I haven't had the chance to go back to the fog gate yet to see if he's there. Did I ruin it?

Yep, I think you'll have to go to NG+ to do his quest line now.

Does anyone know what happens if you let him out after you've done his quest (human or Hollow)?

Hey guys, thought I'd post here. I've been playing Dark Souls 2: SOTFS for the first time. I originally played Dark Souls 2 like a week after it was released but that was it. Didn't play any of the DLC and since I had this in the backlog, figured I'd give it a go.

Now the issue I'm facing is one I also encountered in the original.

That is that when I'm summoned to someone else's world for which ever covenant/online item usage, 9/10 I have to sit through a loading screen for 5 minutes only for the game to tell me that the connection was lost. It still occasionally works though, I've been summoned successfully. I also get invaded/can call others as well, that always works.

It's just the being summoned that's the problem. Any advice or have any of you run into this problem?

Tarkus

I'm trying to do this run summon-free, I've made it up to undead crypt so far but I know Lost Sinner in NG+ let's you get Chaos Blade which I really wanted to try.
I have a love-hate relationship with Chaos Blade. I'd let you try mine if I knew you'd give it back :p It's not all that. The other option for the old witch soul is probably more useful.

Should i re buy this game?

I sold game 2 weeks ago, missing 3-4 trohpies to platinum and wondering if i should re buy to keep in collection :)

Been playing with UK version of game on my UK account, can I buy german version. Would it work?

GulAtiCa

Near the end of the main game now (minus DLC). Got the King's Ring & thing to make you go into memories. So I'm near the end. I'll need to do the Pilgrims of Dark quest line with it's boss soon.

I plan to Platinum this game again (like I did for PS3, before the DLC) before Dark Souls 3 comes out. Luckily I still have like a month. I'll have to quickly go to NG++, but that won't be hard. The consuming time is going through the 3 DLCs.

I'm looking forward to the DLCs. I did the 1st one (Sunken King) fully on PS3 but nefore touched the other 2. Exciting.

I'm trying to get all achivements on Steam, but the more I play with my hexer, the more I hate it. At this point I'm thinking of going pure blacksteel katana, with some support miracles.

I can't fight it, I'm a melee guy. Definetly going melee on DkS3.

Yep, changed to blacksteel katana and now it feels right again.

It's so much fun, I dual wielded katana on vanilla DS2, but a single blacksteel katana is much more fun, dat moveset.

Only 4 achivements to go.

I have a love-hate relationship with Chaos Blade. I'd let you try mine if I knew you'd give it back :p It's not all that. The other option for the old witch soul is probably more useful.

Flame Weapon is really nice, I love weapon buffs. Resins though tend to be more powerful, and at this stage in the game the souls are pretty cheap to buy a whole pile of them. An extra 50 damage + bonus per swing on a boss with a weapon as fast as Blacksteel is really something. So I figured this playthrough I would stick to Resins (I usually go weapon spell like dark weapon or sunlight).

Next playthrough I've been meaning to make a spellblade type, same sort of sword using warrior but with magic weapon and magic shield buffsm and maybe even an extra slot for an offensive spell.

What is to be done about Ancient Dragons breath attack? I can deal with it doing a ton of damage and knocking me down. What get's me is after getting knocked down, my character starts getting back up while the dragon is still breathing flame! Even if I am mashing roll it doesn't matter, 1-2 ticks of flame and I'm dead. What is the trick to not getting killed?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Normally you get hit by 1 tick of damage, and in Scholar it barely takes half your health (assuming ~40 VIT). If you always get hit by two ticks something is wrong... this almost never happened to me.

Normally you get hit by 1 tick of damage, and in Scholar it barely takes half your health (assuming ~40 VIT). If you always get hit by two ticks something is wrong... this almost never happened to me.

I have about 35 VIT, plus the Alonne Knight set has decent fire resist (no shield). The first hit that knocks me down takes maybe 3/4 of my health if I was to guess. The problem is, outside of my control, my character stands back up while there is still an inferno and dies immediately before I can estus. Does it do more damage if you get hit from behind by the fire? Should I be facing it, or trying to block?

Mike M

Nick N
I have about 35 VIT, plus the Alonne Knight set has decent fire resist (no shield). The first hit that knocks me down takes maybe 3/4 of my health if I was to guess. The problem is, outside of my control, my character stands back up while there is still an inferno and dies immediately before I can estus. Does it do more damage if you get hit from behind by the fire? Should I be facing it, or trying to block?
Work the hind feet. When it lifts to stomp, run to the other foot. When it tears up to breath fire under itself, stand outside his stance. When he takes off to torch everything run toward the tail. You may take a hit, but only the one.

Flash Sweat's not a bad safeguard either.

6for8

Flash sweat, +1 dispelling & +3 flame quartz rings and you should be over 900 fire DEF and immune to fire damage.

If not using fire protection, I like to stand in front of it and wait. Flies up you run away, if the ground breath run in and do some damage then go in front again.

Flash sweat, +1 dispelling & +3 flame quartz rings and you should be over 900 fire DEF and immune to fire damage.

If not using fire protection, I like to stand in front of it and wait. Flies up you run away, if the ground breath run in and do some damage then go in front again.

Work the hind feet. When it lifts to stomp, run to the other foot. When it tears up to breath fire under itself, stand outside his stance. When he takes off to torch everything run toward the tail. You may take a hit, but only the one.

Flash Sweat's not a bad safeguard either.

Thanks guys; I'll try and go and get those items you mentioned. Here is what keeps happening with the fire, maybe I'm standing in the wrong place or doing it wrong. I don't know why my sound didn't record, maybe because it's a USB headphone amp... video is fine though:

https://youtu.be/p9zkQZwEAGU

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Video is private.

But yeah maybe you are standing too close to the epicenter when you get hit, so you eat two ticks of damage, whereas if you get tagged by the outer area of the flames, they fade more quickly and you only get hit once?

Ideally you shouldn't be getting hit at all of course ;) so I imagine you're running away straight whenever it flies off, though it's possible to still get hit, but unless you're really unlucky or stuck to the center somehow you should only eat 1 tick of damage.

Video is private.

But yeah maybe you are standing too close to the epicenter when you get hit, so you eat two ticks of damage, whereas if you get tagged by the outer area of the flames, they fade more quickly and you only get hit once?

Ideally you shouldn't be getting hit at all of course ;) so I imagine you're running away straight whenever it flies off, though it's possible to still get hit, but unless you're really unlucky or stuck to the center somehow you should only eat 1 tick of damage.

Oops! Should be ok now. I don't put much on youtube.

He isn't (usually) flying. Im hitting his back legs, and then he stands on his back legs and breaths fire right in the middle. I run towards his tail, get hit and knocked down (1 tick). Then while the fire is still going on, I stand up, and even if I spam roll to try and get some iframes for the fire, I still die (that is the 2nd tick).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ohhh you get hit by a different attack than I thought. I forgot about that one since he never does it to me (I stick to the front rather than the back). Um, as far as I know, it's easy to avoid if you run to the sides when he's preparing it, it should miss you.

Keep the camera so that the head is visible even while you're attacking, and make sure to leave some "emergency" stamina instead of draining it all the time, so if you see it prepare this attack you can run away to the sides to avoid it.

6for8

Oops! Should be ok now. I don't put much on youtube.

He isn't (usually) flying. Im hitting his back legs, and then he stands on his back legs and breaths fire right in the middle. I run towards his tail, get hit and knocked down (1 tick). Then while the fire is still going on, I stand up, and even if I spam roll to try and get some iframes for the fire, I still die (that is the 2nd tick).

The lesser versions of the rings can get you to 900 as well, you just need to be creative in your armour selection.

Here is a video of how to stay safe in front of it. It was my GC build against the ng++ dragon and I was trying to avoid abusing the fire protection so it is a little boring. Stamina challenged and it only hit me once for real that I can remember. With extra stamina you should be able to melee the legs a few times and run in front again.

Must have hit a dragon knight on the stairs, they activated. That was fun.

http://youtu.be/jxRyOdWDtzg

OK, 649 resist is the best I can get going right now without doing the DLC (I'm trying to save it for "last"). So that means +2 flame quartz, +0 dispelling ring, Alonne Captain armour, Alonne Knight gloves, boots, Syan's Helm, and flash sweat.

What a difference!

https://youtu.be/HqS3anUShxA

Thanks for the advice ;)

Mike M

Nick N
OK, 649 resist is the best I can get going right now without doing the DLC (I'm trying to save it for "last"). So that means +2 flame quartz, +0 dispelling ring, Alonne Captain armour, Alonne Knight gloves, boots, Syan's Helm, and flash sweat.

What a difference!

https://youtu.be/HqS3anUShxA

Thanks for the advice ;)

Was there a reason you kept getting hit by the fire breath when he stood up? Just to show the difference in fire damage?

Was there a reason you kept getting hit by the fire breath when he stood up? Just to show the difference in fire damage?

That, and I was having trouble avoiding it. With that much fire resist, I didn't have to worry about it, just chug an estus every second breath or so. I died so many times before getting that fire resist, it was a nice clean run from the bonfire to the dragon... everyone was dead ;)

5 giant souls and some bleed serum on that Blacksteel Katana made short work of Vendrick!

Question on the DLC: If I go and kill Nashandra (and presumably Aldia) now, can I still go and do the three DLC? Or will I be forced to choose an "ending" and then on to NG+?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're safe for the DLC. You trigger NG+ manually
at the Majula bonfire after the credits
so you are free to explore everything until you are ready.

Edit: um you will choose an ending though, I guess? I don't think the DLC are relevant to either ending.

Hypron

When I wanna fight the ancient dragon I just respec temporarily (if my current specs are not right) and beat it with a Gyrm greatshield. There's no way to fuck this strategy up it's so simple.

I wish I did a video of Ancient Dragon, he's actually quite easy, with the right strategy. No need to tank him.

When I wanna fight the ancient dragon I just respec temporarily (if my current specs are not right) and beat it with a Gyrm greatshield. There's no way to fuck this strategy up it's so simple.

Basically this but without the shield. At the right distance you can run away from the flying breath attack and bait more frontal breath attacks to get hits.

Is there a way to get back to the lost bastille bonfire after crossing over the initial area without using a homeword bone? I haven't defeated the (first?) Boss yet in the area.

Also will I know how to open the door that says produce a symbol of the king or is that really really hard to figure out? If it's simple enough I don't wanna know but if it's something like Ash Lake where it's almost impossible to figure out on your own then feel free to spoil it.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there a way to get back to the lost bastille bonfire after crossing over the initial area without using a homeword bone? I haven't defeated the (first?) Boss yet in the area.

No, but there's another bonfire not very far away.

Also will I know how to open the door that says produce a symbol of the king or is that really really hard to figure out? If it's simple enough I don't wanna know but if it's something like Ash Lake where it's almost impossible to figure out on your own then feel free to spoil it.
It's a key item in the game, you won't be able to miss it.

Mistel

Banned
The other thing is rather self explanatory once you get it, you'll find other places require it as well.

Mike M

Nick N
Alright thanks, is it after the first fog door?
It's actually hidden.
There's one of the mummy scythe guys standing at the top of a flight of stairs with a gunpowder barrel. Push the barrel down the stairs so it hits the wall (you may need to throw a firebomb if it doesn't hit the wall hard enough to explode.)

It's actually hidden.
There's one of the mummy scythe guys standing at the top of a flight of stairs with a gunpowder barrel. Push the barrel down the stairs so it hits the wall (you may need to throw a firebomb if it doesn't hit the wall hard enough to explode.)
Is it the one right after meeting lucatiel?

I'm coming in after the crow's nest way

Mike M

Nick N
I've tried using a firebomb on that spot and it doesn't seem to work... are there any videos of exactly where to throw it?
The barrel is the key thing. If it gets going fast enough, it will explode on impact with the wall. If it doesn't, you need to kit it with fire damage (or sometimes I think a heavy attack blows them up too? At least it does when the it gets hit by one of the Ironclad guys in the Forest)

Ah okay, thought a firebomb on its own would do the trick

But there's no way to leave the area and warp back without dying right? Blegh

Mike M

Nick N
Ah okay, thought a firebomb on its own would do the trick

But there's no way to leave the area and warp back without dying right? Blegh
Well there's the homeward bone, but outside of that, yeah. It's a shitty bonfire. You can just grab the loot, blow up the wall to the other bonfire, and then you never really need to use that one again.

The sentinels aren't too hard and there's a ghost summon next to it if you want
Heide's isn't too hard but leads to the bastille anyway, you should do sentinels first, then go to heide's. Do the dragon first if you can, he drops a good shield

Tarkus

I said I would never try to level up the Brotherhood of Blood again to get a white aura on a build, but here I am pissing away time doing it. Fuck me. I'm up +61.

RiggyRob

I said I would never try to level up the Brotherhood of Blood again to get a white aura on a build, but here I am pissing away time doing it. Fuck me. I'm up +61.

On a similar note, who the hell thought it was a good idea to make you get fifty Loyce Souls for Alsanna when not only can you not use the Knights of Eleum Loyce again, but Loyce Souls aren't even a guaranteed drop from the Charred Knights?

6for8

On a similar note, who the hell thought it was a good idea to make you get fifty Loyce Souls for Alsanna when not only can you not use the Knights of Eleum Loyce again, but Loyce Souls aren't even a guaranteed drop from the Charred Knights?

Offline one should leave as the boss arrives.

Online it ensures many signs for the host to choose from as they drop to phantoms.

Heide's tower and it's following area are probably easier than Ruin Sentinels.
Yeah I'm getting rekt right now, I haven't managed to kill one yet. Do they not Respawn after you kill them once or do you have to end all 3 in one shot? I can't imagine killing the two on the floor at the same time.

Hand Axe does crazy good damage for its speed though.

Maybesew

Yeah I'm getting rekt right now, I haven't managed to kill one yet. Do they not Respawn after you kill them once or do you have to end all 3 in one shot? I can't imagine killing the two on the floor at the same time.

They don't respawn

Overall I feel like this is the hardest souls game for me so far. I'm level 53 and still making very slow progress if I progress at all. I haven't run in to a singularly frustrating thing yet like the Bell Gargoyles, invisible blowdarts, Ebrietas or getting cursed, it's just an overall feeling of getting stomped on. Funnily enough though I don't mind the "mobs".

I've been wary of upgrading my weapons and armor since titanite seems a lot rarer than DS1 and I'm not sure what I'm gonna settle on yet.

You have to bait both into attacking at the same time. They will most likely pull off the same move which leaves them both vulnerable.

down 2 orth

Are there a lot of players that get frustrated with the Iron Passage on the second DLC?

Because, I'm really frustrated with it. I mean, I'm so angry and uptight now that I just want to break the shit out of something. I was having a pretty nice day until I started playing, so if this is the future of the souls series, I might just skip out on the third one.

Novocaine

Overall I feel like this is the hardest souls game for me so far. I'm level 53 and still making very slow progress if I progress at all. I haven't run in to a singularly frustrating thing yet like the Bell Gargoyles, invisible blowdarts, Ebrietas or getting cursed, it's just an overall feeling of getting stomped on. Funnily enough though I don't mind the "mobs".

I've been wary of upgrading my weapons and armor since titanite seems a lot rarer than DS1 and I'm not sure what I'm gonna settle on yet.

Haven't found Belfry Luna yet I'm guessing? :O

Don't stress too much about saving titanite, as long as you are exploring and looting everything you will have a good supply of it. By the end of the game the first 3 types of titanite are literally infinite supply from a vendor.

Top Bottom