• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

KeRaSh

Sniped my way through Shrine of Amana yesterday. Not a fan of the area. With a pure melee build I just tried to keep my distance and shot everything with my shitty bow.
I don't know if I will touch the DLC after I finish the game. I don't want to wear myself out before DS3 hits. Mayble I'll save that for after DS3 so I have something to play while we wait for the new DLC.

RiggyRob

It doesn't really matter, but the order they came out in is Shulva City > Brume Tower > Eleum Loyce

After hearing how much trouble people had with Brume Tower, I went Eleum Loyce > Shulva with Brume Tower next, and that has a nice progression in difficulty I feel.

KeRaSh

You think Shrine of Amana is bad now? It used to be even worse before...

It wasn't really bad, it was just not fun. It did force me to change up my playstyle which was nice from a strict gameplay standpoint and the area is really beautiful.
The bonfire checkpoints were never too far away so the punishment of a death wasn't too harsh.
It's definitely not the worst area.

Finished the game yesterday. Thought it was amazing from start to finish. I did feel a bit cheap during the game, being a sorcerer and all, but ultimately it didn't ruin the experience since I fucking love magic. Will definitely go 100% melee in DS3 though.

Yeah magic is decent but when it's annoying it's REALLY annoying. And so many bosses take almost no damage from magic, forcing you to get some lightning and fire magic at least, ugh
Also fuck those ghosts in shaded woods when using magic, geez, have fun aiming at a fast moving un-lockable target
trash.png

GulAtiCa

I beat both the Ancient Dragon and King Vendrick yesterday. Both in 1 try. I'm glad Ancient Dragon took me 1 try. Used my lightning long sword on his legs and avoided him pretty well. Would do damage when he does the fire breath and run away when he flies up. My fire resistance + Flame Sweat would make it so his fire damage would do little to me. Just had to make sure I'd re-use it every few minutes.

Also beat the Queen & the Scholar soon after. The Scholar was kind an easy fight..

Next, Darklurker is the last boss I need to take on before heading onto DLC areas.

I have so many Soul items to use too. I'll save them for when I'll go into NG+. I'll need to rank 3 in the coop cov before then, about 15 more sunlight medals left to get. Should likely get those in the DLC areas or keep helping out at the other late-game areas.

Yeah magic is decent but when it's annoying it's REALLY annoying. And so many bosses take almost no damage from magic, forcing you to get some lightning and fire magic at least, ugh
Also fuck those ghosts in shaded woods when using magic, geez, have fun aiming at a fast moving un-lockable target
trash.png

Backup melee damage is pretty much a must in Souls.

Fire Longsword+9/10 is really easy to get very early on and really easy to upgrade though. No reason not to have that.

No Man's Wharf is probably the first zone I don't really like so far, it just seems kinda cobbled together with no thought put in to it.

I have the ancient dragon left and then the ending I suppose, beat Vendrick yesterday. A tedious fight but apparently I should have taken the dragon down first. My fire defense is pure shite though, that thing already killed me several times, I have to look into it.

Backup melee damage is pretty much a must in Souls.

Fire Longsword+9/10 is really easy to get very early on and really easy to upgrade though. No reason not to have that.
Yeah I eventually got that but I don't like having to have it, I wanted to play pure magic
Anyway I prefer melee, so I'll stick to melee for DS3, first going STR then DEX on a second playthrough, zweihander here I come

I hope in DS3 equipping several weapons on the same hand doesn't count all their weight in your weight, this is just stupid, it should be a shortcut to an item therefore only counting the one you're currently using

edit : I got 7-8 attunement slots I think, more wouldn't help too much as I don't have good spells to fill them. Using soul spear/crystal soul spear, great heavy arrow *2, heavy arrow, great arrow, dark hail and I think that's it
Got my agility to 105 already, reaching 111 costs way too much for now

GulAtiCa

Pure Magic is a little hard in DS2. At least not until you get the much better Magic Arts (and get multiple of them and stack them to have x2 spell uses/etc).

Pure Lightning caster with little melee is very possible. My 1st playthrough of the game was with a Lightning caster that almost never did melee damage. You get the better lightning spells earlier and they do a lot of damage. Actually, did even more damage in earlier version of the game on PS3 before they patches it to balanced it. Shit used to reck everything. lol

I'm curing doing a Fire build. Mostly a melee character, as Fire spells don't do as much damage, and you don't get most of them early on/etc. I mostly 2-hand my Fire Varangian Sword. Does a good bit of damage.

Be sure to get your Attument skill high. The bigger, the better. As not only does it increases your spell slots, it also increases your # of spell uses per spell. That and will increase your Agility, which is really becomes useful past 100.

My 1st character on the PS3 was like lv 300 by NG++. I had a lot of spell usage. lol

Merchants have been terrible for me in this game, we'll come to Majula they said..
The only thing I have been buying are those cheap lifegems near the bonfire lol.

Can someone tell me how to summon players to help me with boss fights? I use the white soap thing, but that only puts me into other players worlds, so when I defeat a boss, it doesn't count.

Can someone tell me how to summon players to help me with boss fights? I use the white soap thing, but that only puts me into other players worlds, so when I defeat a boss, it doesn't count.

You have to search for the white signs, but when you use the white soap you "deactivate" the other people signs, and you can't see them.

Don't use the soap and instead look for signs, they usually are at the boss fog doors or the bonfires.

You have to search for the white signs, but when you use the white soap you "deactivate" the other people signs, and you can't see them.

Don't use the soap and instead look for signs, they usually are at the boss fog doors or the bonfires.

Also, you must be human. Can't be hollow.

Make sure you are not apart of the Company of Champions, else you won't see any.

Thanks guys! Finally got it to work, and just beat the Ruin Sentinels :)

Just realized I might not have done everything possible in the game.
Went to Grandahl, gave him an effigy, the portal opened below him. Went in, killed some foes, lit up a bowl with my torch, then I jumped into the abyss and I was back at the cave in Drangleic. What did I exactly do and is there a boss to this?

Mistel

Banned
Went to Grandahl, gave him an effigy, the portal opened below him. Went in, killed some foes, lit up a bowl with my torch, then I jumped into the abyss and I was back at the cave in Drangleic. What did I exactly do and is there a boss to this?
You entered the abyss and there is a boss.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No Man's Wharf is probably the first zone I don't really like so far, it just seems kinda cobbled together with no thought put in to it.
Can't agree. NMW is one of my favourite areas in the whole series. Amazing and intricate level design with cool secrets and a superb art direction and atmosphere.

But I returned to where I was when I jumped into the abyss. Where's the bossman?
There are three doors to the old Abyss. You entered the Drangleic one, but there are two more portals in the world. They are in
Shaded Woods (where you fall down right before reaching the place with the acid pools and the basilisks)
, and
Black Gulch (after obtaining the Forgotten Key from the giants in that secret area below, you drop down that place with the big door -- it's the most annoying one, so do it first)
. Once you lit all 3 torches and defeated all the enemies in the dungeon, the boss will appear.

Warning:
the boss is quite difficult, and if you die, you must spend a Human Effigy to try again. He also appears regardless of the dungeon you pick; I would suggest you pick the easiest one (for me, it's the Shaded Woods one, for some, it's the Drangleic one, but I never use the Black Gulch one; it's too annoying to reach and the enemies inside are more numerous) so that you are at full Estus and health when you face the boss.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not that bad. You just do 3 quick dungeons, light the torch (just once, it stays lit if you leave and come back) in each, then the boss. The only hard part is, well, the boss, and having to spend an effigy to retry.

The boss is really cool though. Quite challenging and unique. Though, he can sort of be cheesed with magic, he's very weak to
fire, sorcery, and lightning
, but he's quite tough to melee.

I assume you're not going for the all sorceries/miricles/pyromancies etc quest or maxing out covenants?

I'm not sure yet. I did pick up the new stuff during my DLC run, and I got all if not most of what I can get during NG. I think there's only a couple things I need in actual NG+ and NG++ but I have to think about if I want to do NG+ yet. Don't want to burn out on it before DS3.

Tarkus

I'm not sure yet. I did pick up the new stuff during my DLC run, and I got all if not most of what I can get during NG. I think there's only a couple things I need in actual NG+ and NG++ but I have to think about if I want to do NG+ yet. Don't want to burn out on it before DS3.
If you don't want to burn out on Souls games before the DS3 release, I suggest you not try to platinum them.

GulAtiCa

I second that.. To even get platinum/etc, you will need to get all spells/etc, which requires trip to NG++ Drangleic Castle (the normal way, can't bonfire it) for the tough covenant spells.

Only do the platinum playthrough if you are a narcissist, like me. lol

KeRaSh

So I thought I was about to fight the last boss after defeating
the two knights in the Throne of Want but she didn't appear. Turns out I had to get that item from the giant dragon to enter a dream to kill a giant which drops an item that actually lets me fight the "final" boss... Is there a story / lore explanation for that or is it just padding content?

GulAtiCa

Be sure to kill boss
King Vendrick
too. ;)

Also. Was watching a DkS2 streamer earlier. Was doing a bunch of invasions the whole time (what he mainly does). Anyways, he got invaded by what must be the most pathetic scared Blue Sentinel. Guy was so passive, like not "waiting" but wanting the host to do the work for him. Not attacking or anything. Like the saddest staring contest ever. As if the guy forgot he was the invader. :lol

I hope he puts up that video.

Also, same host, but unrelated. Funniest most "really?" seen I've seen. Really funny: http://www.twitch.tv/querns/v/52360116

Mike M

Nick N
So I thought I was about to fight the last boss after defeating
the two knights in the Throne of Want but she didn't appear. Turns out I had to get that item from the giant dragon to enter a dream to kill a giant which drops an item that actually lets me fight the "final" boss... Is there a story / lore explanation for that or is it just padding content?
Vendrick hid the Throne of Want from Nashandra when he realized her goals and threw up a bunch of safeguards to keep her out. One of them was denying access to the throne for anyone who wasn't of giant descent/in possession of the Giant's Kinship.

GulAtiCa

I thought that was optional?

Oh it is. But (big spoilers related to the Scholar NPC questline)
Killing Vendrick before you kill Nashandra, is how you get the Scholar NPC to show up as a boss fight after the Nashandra. But only if you kill the king before you kill the Queen, else he doesn't shpw up apparently
. But yes, all optional.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh it is. But (big spoilers related to the Scholar NPC questline)
Killing Vendrick before you kill Nashandra, is how you get the Scholar NPC to show up as a boss fight after the Nashandra. But only if you kill the king before you kill the Queen, else he doesn't shpw up apparently
. But yes, all optional.
Yeah, realized that just yesterday when I forgot to go kill Vendrick. Had to use an ascetic to respawn everyone and get
Aldia
, lol.

Tarkus

Is anyone else a part of this Dark Souls 3 community on ps4 with Solaire and Sunny D bottle as the background? I just got the invite. There's 543 members...and spoilers in the chat...don't read, must not read.

GulAtiCa

I'm ignoring all things Dark Souls 3. Like Dark Souls 2, plan to go through blind. For the most part. I will likely look things up while I come across items and ideas on bosses/areas/etc. But will mainly stay blind.

Tarkus

I do a blind playthrough the first time, and then watch someone like ENB's let's play videos of each area the second time with a guide too :)

I watched Vaati's videos and I regret it with all my STR.

I was weak, but I must say the dude went beyond some spoilers, he could have shown most of these things while being more sparse on the details...

That said, no streams and no other shit until release.

Tarkus

I watched Vaati's videos and I regret it with all my STR.

I was weak, but I must say the dude went beyond some spoilers, he could have shown most of these things while being more sparse on the details...

That said, no streams and no other shit until release.
Why? It's mostly fan-fiction :p
Seriously, he puts me to sleep with his boring way of speaking and accent.

Why? It's mostly fan-fiction :p
Seriously, he puts me to sleep with his boring way of speaking and accent.

He goes to spoiler a mechanic into the game, and instead of just telling about what is about briefly, he goes into every detail regarding such mechanic which ends spoiling way more that was really necessary.

Hey, it was my fault, but I think he could be more conscious he's talking about a game that is yet to be released and is nice to not tell everything.

Top Bottom