• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Novocaine

I played the network test and watched 2 trailers. Skipping all of the game play videos popping up. I feel like I've already seen too much. I went into Bloodborne almost completely blind and it payed off, but damn it's hard to ignore all of the stuff out there.

KeRaSh

Alright, beat the game. Killed
Vendrick, Nashandra and the Scholar.
I think the game was a tad too long and not sure I understood how the story is supposed to come together but gameplay wise it was really fun once I got the hang of it. I'll probably skip the DLC for now so I don't get burned out but might come back to it later.

kagamin

Alright, beat the game. Killed
Vendrick, Nashandra and the Scholar.
I think the game was a tad too long and not sure I understood how the story is supposed to come together but gameplay wise it was really fun once I got the hang of it. I'll probably skip the DLC for now so I don't get burned out but might come back to it later.

Well that's really too bad, the DLC is the best part of the entire game by FAR.

Man the demon of song as sorcerer is a fucking joke lol.. Shrine of amana is even worse with spells though, best way is definitely poison arrows. Although I realized (third time I go through this shit) that the last area between bonfire 3 and the boss is skippable, you can just walk on the left and only agro one or two casters that you can just run from. Wish I knew that before.

Got to dragon aerie and realized the staff of wisdom was in brightstone cove all along in SotFS, I had read somewhere it was in the aerie
I'd been using the sorcerer's staff all this time, and wasted a lot of twinkling tits on some other shit
fml

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well good for you on reaching the Dragon Aerie 'cause you can get some twinkling titanite back ;) the DLC has plenty of it too.

Man
Elana
[Shulva DLC boss] is such a bitch. xD Was doing a coop run with a friend, and my coop partner died just as I kill her summon (
Velstadt
). Then she immediately summons the 4 skeletons. Ok no biggie. Then immediately summons V again. It becomes really hectic, one of my ring breaks, and I'm chipping away at her 'cause she's got the coop buff. Finally take out V, she summons 4 skeletons again. xD I decided to leave one alive just so she wouldn't summon V again, since 1 skeleton isn't too much of a threat. She died with like 1 estus left, pheeeew.

GulAtiCa

DLC is really hard. REALLY HARD. (can only speak about 1st one). But really really good. The layout, esp multiple paths is great. Great items too.

(Well, more essentially challenging)

Mistel

Banned
My lightning infused Grand Knight's Lance +10 has served me well in the late game.
You probably don't want it infused for the DLC.
That's a good weapon, but it has no horizontal sweeping attacks that would serve you well in the DLC areas, especially Brume Tower area.
Lances don't really need a sweeping attack if you're smart about it.
Which one are you referring to?

Another tip - I found learning how to back stab the enemies helped immensely in being able to clear out the areas.
Graverobber trio.

RiggyRob

You probably don't want it infused for the DLC.

Lances don't really need a sweeping attack if you're smart about it.

Graverobber trio.

Final Sunken King
boss(es), the graverobber and the guys.

If he can summon NPCs to distract them then yeah, but it's mostly just running around in circles and poking, leaving the big guy for last. That's how I did it anyway.

Oh yeah, fuck them. I didn't realise
they were the final bosses though, I thought I'd somehow done Elana and Sinh before them by accident.

Distractions were a big help.

kagamin

They're completely optional from a DLC standpoint, they aren't required to get the DLC item at the end.
You only miss out on a
skirt and some other misc items

Novocaine

Oh yeah, fuck them. I didn't realise
they were the final bosses though, I thought I'd somehow done Elana and Sinh before them by accident.

Distractions were a big help.

Sinh is the final boss of the DLC, the trio is more of a side thing, arguably way harder though. IIRC they have a spell required for the platinum trophy locked behind them though.

Ah well the wife is at her sister's tonight anyways, so I might jump into it right away after all...

It's digital crack, I already completed the first dlc since I've beaten the game a couple days ago and I was definitely going to wait for DS3!
fILQpxq.gif

GulAtiCa

Path is only bad the 1st time you need to get all the items (if you want).

After that, it's easy to just fuck it and run straight to boss area/etc. The things don't really follow you down the holes (maybe 1 or 2). It's only the last narrow floor before the boss gate that you need to empty a little.

KeRaSh

Got the DLC key items and started with the area with those poisoned enemies. Didn't like it but the area after that is waaaay worse. Those
dual wielding ghost fucks
can go die in a fire. They are't that bad if I take my time but there are quite a few and the first bonfire was well hidden and far from the entrance. I was scared, haha...

KeRaSh

Hint on the
ghosts
:
Destroy their grave/tomb thingy
:)

There was one at the beginning but I didn't see any further in when there were 3-5 of them. Thanks for the hint, though. Didn't know what it did when I destroyed the first one.

Why would you not expect that though? I mean it's bound to contain spoilers anyway.

I expected spoilers, obviously, what Vaati did on the third video of his preview playthrough was go too far of what you expect on a preview video of an unreleased game and way beyond any other footage of the event.

The path to the trio is bad too. Almost as bad as the Iron Passage.

Nothing, will ever EVER be as bad as frigid outskirts.

Iron Passage is heaven compared to that.

kagamin

There was one at the beginning but I didn't see any further in when there were 3-5 of them. Thanks for the hint, though. Didn't know what it did when I destroyed the first one.

Further hint:
The later bodies are hidden in a room beyond where there are like 3 or 4 of the ghost dudes, just hit all their corpses and boom! You can actually fight them without using magic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Got the DLC key items and started with the area with those poisoned enemies. Didn't like it but the area after that is waaaay worse. Those
dual wielding ghost fucks
can go die in a fire. They are't that bad if I take my time but there are quite a few and the first bonfire was well hidden and far from the entrance. I was scared, haha...
There's a
hidden bonfire
in the area. You need to
hit a switch with a projectile and it opens up a secret door right in front of the ladder that leads to that bridge where the hex caster is

KeRaSh

There's a
hidden bonfire
in the area. You need to
hit a switch with a projectile and it opens up a secret door right in front of the ladder that leads to that bridge where the hex caster is

Yeah got that and called it a day. That shit is too intense. Not sure I want to go to the Gank Squad. The way down looks like a nightmare and then theres the squad itself. Who thought that was a good idea to add to the DLC? ^^'

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah got that and called it a day. That shit is too intense. Not sure I want to go to the Gank Squad. The way down looks like a nightmare and then theres the squad itself. Who thought that was a good idea to add to the DLC? ^^'
I'm 99% sure it was designed with coop in mind. It's the kind of area and even boss that is really fun to coop (hell I just did that yesterday during my coop run and it went really well and it was fun while still dangerous enough to be challenging), but can be a real chore to solo. So that's why it's a bonus area, I guess.

Okay I am literally stuck and have no idea what to do. I just started the game and I have spent 6 hours in No Man's Wharf. I am Level 41 and I am still getting my ass kicked by these encounters. What the hell am I supposed to do. My weapons and armor suck sinces it's early game so I can't upgrade or get new ones. I am overleveled so I cant summon strangers and I dont have any human effigies for that matter. And I only have 1 Estus Flask so my runs have to be perfect or its over.

Everyone on google says get a bow but I can't find a guide anywhere that says where to get a bow. I just can't believe I have wasted so much time in this area. It's so frustrating that I just don't want to play this anymore. I have never had this much trouble with a Souls game before.

Mike M

Nick N
Okay I am literally stuck and have no idea what to do. I just started the game and I have spent 6 hours in No Man's Wharf. I am Level 41 and I am still getting my ass kicked by these encounters. What the hell am I supposed to do. My weapons and armor suck sinces it's early game so I can't upgrade or get new ones. I am overleveled so I cant summon strangers and I dont have any human effigies for that matter. And I only have 1 Estus Flask so my runs have to be perfect or its over.

Everyone on google says get a bow but I can't find a guide anywhere that says where to get a bow. I just can't believe I have wasted so much time in this area. It's so frustrating that I just don't want to play this anymore. I have never had this much trouble with a Souls game before.
Have you not done the Forest of Fallen Giants?

GulAtiCa

For the 1 Estus Flask thing:
Hit the rock in the Well in Majura

Yeah, sounds like you skipped Forest of Fallen Giants, as you would have picked up a White Summoning Soap Sign (Which makes you human after a successful co-op). The good news is that Forest area will be more of a breeze, since it was suppose to be your 1st area. Lot's of items there.

Surely not, based on his post.

falcon, warp back to Majula, then head towards where the torch is on this screenshot (the path to the left of the character):

You'll be all "....ohhhhh" soon enough. xD
:/ God dammit. Thank you guys. I was about to quit the game for good. So No Man's Wharf is not the correct area to go after Heides Tower or whatever it's called.

I'll try this. I thought that way led back to the tutorial area.

In the forest you can find a key to the blacksmith house
Which also contains the short bow
No wonder you were finding it hard

They should have put this key somewhere in majula honestly

Mistel

Banned
:/ God dammit. Thank you guys. I was about to quit the game for good. So No Man's Wharf is not the correct area to go after Heides Tower or whatever it's called.

It is but as you've see missing the first area and the stuff it provides makes it much harder.

Don't quit. I was in the exact same situation as you were three weeks ago. I stuck with it and now I beat it. I made the same mistake by completely ignoring the Forest of Fallen Giants. Grab the Fire Longsword there and the Drangleic shield, and it won't hurt in general to google around for the best beginner items, though I think I already mentioned two very important ones. You can also summon NPCs as long as you're human, and similarly you can summon actual people if you see their sign.

Does NG+ affect the dlc too? I'm really enjoying the challenge so far compared to the maingame but wouldn't mind spicing it up a little after beating the first one (sunken king). But it probably means I would have to replay the game to get to the access points right? That's not an option at the moment.

Tarkus

Does NG+ affects the dlc too? I'm really enjoying the challenge so far compared to the maingame but wouldn't mind spicing it up a little after beating the first one (sunken king). But it probably means I would have to replay the game to get to the access points right? That's not an option at the moment.
Yes it affects all areas. Use a bonfire ascetic at whichever bonfires you want to play in NG+. If you turn over the game into NG+ at Majula, then yes, you'll have to play through the whole game again.

Novocaine

Does NG+ affects the dlc too? I'm really enjoying the challenge so far compared to the maingame but wouldn't mind spicing it up a little after beating the first one (sunken king). But it probably means I would have to replay the game to get to the access points right? That's not an option at the moment.

Yes it does, there are new enemies etc. It's actually pretty quick to go through the game on NG+ once you know the path to go, although I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to chill on the game so you don't burn out before DS3. As said above you can use ascetics but that will kinda fuck with your characters play through if you decide to go back at a later date.

Thank you guys for the help. I beat the Last Giant and I ended up going back to No Man's Wharf and I actually stood a chance and beat the boss since I made a Halberd +1 and had 3 Estus Flasks. :D

Don't quit. I was in the exact same situation as you were three weeks ago. I stuck with it and now I beat it. I made the same mistake by completely ignoring the Forest of Fallen Giants. Grab the Fire Longsword there and the Drangleic shield, and it won't hurt in general to google around for the best beginner items, though I think I already mentioned two very important ones. You can also summon NPCs as long as you're human, and similarly you can summon actual people if you see their sign.

Glad I am not the only one. Where do you find the Fire Longsword and Drangleic Shield? I haven't had any luck seeing any actual people summon signs when human. Maybe it's because I am too high/under leveled in the areas I am in?

Top Bottom