• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Bl@de

Yeah, i regret buying this for my ps4. My weapon broke from the first bonfire in Majula and the bonfire in the woods. I mean its very early in game and it was just 15 minutes. I had to spend all my souls for the repair. :( Is this intended or is this a "bug" which will get fixed???

Am I the only person who was never really affected by the bug? When I used the crystal sword I simply thought "crap crystal weapon breaks to fast, time to use another sword in the second slot". After that I used the Black Knight Halberd and Bracing Knucke Rings and only once ran into a problem (Dragon Shrine). Without the internet I would've never noticed. Yes it's crappy they don't fix it - But it's not game breaking or anything. I just thought that's how it is (the same with super fast enemies at 60fps^^)

nowarning

I downloaded the game last night but haven't had chance to play yet because work. I've played it before on 360 but for some reason I'm really excited to play it again haha.

Robot Pants

You would think since its a known issue they apparently cant fix and since the console versions are 60fps anyway with no options for 30fps they would just double the durability for everything to even things out.

I'm pretty shocked they didnt fix it.
Definitely gonna pass on this unless they fix it later.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Item maintenance is the least fun thing in games. If it's a feature then the game is worse for it.

Yup. Weapons not lasting between bonfires is just silly. You can say "you have 3 weapon slots" but I shouldn't be forced to use multiple weapons because of a damn bug, it should be a choice. What if I want to keep my character as light as possible? Whatever, I've already made the decision to skip this. I loved Dark Souls 2 at release but Bloodborne is so much better it just makes the flaws in DS2 stands out all the more.

420bits

I bought a disc version on Amazon.co.uk for 47 euro (shipping to the Netherlands included). It's not cheap, but since I never got any of the DLC for the PC version, I think it's an ok deal.

Yeah, discversion is cheaper in store here in sweland as well, but I think I will hold of for now, so many great games coming out in the next few months and i already completed it on ps3 (with all the dlc) so it's not a game i desperately need.

If I hadn't completed it on ps3 I would be all over this, looks great!

Mandelbo

Item maintenance is the least fun thing in games. If it's a feature then the game is worse for it.

I genuinely don't understand why weapon durability is even in the souls games. It always seems to run contrary to the gameplay rather than complimenting it. At least in DS1 and DeS it could be largely ignored, but I still feel that if durability was removed from the series as a whole the games would be much better off.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not just item maintenance for the sake of item maintenance, though.

Equip a secondary weapon in that 2nd slot. Pick and choose which enemies to use your primary weapon for. Or maybe if you've got a thrust weapon, use that in close quarters situations(maybe as a secondary).

This gives a bit of strategy and thought involved. It also forces you to make tougher choices on your build, since equipping that 2nd weapon may affect your total weight.

Basically, intended or not, it's forcing you to switch things up and not rely solely on one weapon through an area. Which I'm alright with. It makes that 2nd slot a bit more useful and something people should pay more attention to, especially if they're using weapons that aren't very durable.

Beepos

Equip a secondary weapon in that 2nd slot. Pick and choose which enemies to use your primary weapon for. Or maybe if you've got a thrust weapon, use that in close quarters situations(maybe as a secondary).

This gives a bit of strategy and thought involved. It also forces you to make tougher choices on your build, since equipping that 2nd weapon may affect your total weight.

Basically, intended or not, it's forcing you to switch things up and not rely solely on one weapon through an area. Which I'm alright with. It makes that 2nd slot a bit more useful and something people should pay more attention to, especially if they're using weapons that aren't very durable.

Pretty much, well, this.

fantomena

So, not sure if this is the place to ask or anyone have a solution, but i have a problem with vanilla DS2 which makes me not buy Scholar.

Thing is, when I try to play a new game or continue a game, when the game is suppose to load for the itnro cinematic, the music fades off and the itnro cinematic never starts playing, so I can't paly.

Ive:

- Reinstalled
- Verified cache
- Restarted PC
- Disabled Steam Overlay
- Deleted all files related to DS2
- Tried some Windows Media Player workaround
- Tried some codecs workaround

But the itnro cinematic won't start.

Edit: Fixed it. Uninstalled something called LAV Filters.

derFeef

Strength of the series is to be free to choose your playstyle and weapon - and master it. No I am kinda forced to switch that up, have more weapons with me just for the sake of it, and ask myself why the shield is standing strong while my weapon breaks as fast as a bonsai branchlet.

I am all for strategizing my decisions and combat tactics, but this "bug" feels gamey and unnecessary in this series.

I love item maintenance. I also love having to eat and drink in RPGs in order to stay healthy.

In one of the best RPGs around - Betrayla at Krondor - you had to sharpen your swords and fix your armor and shields because they deteriorated in quality after combat. It was very realistic, and, you had limited inventory space as well so you had to chose wether to take with you more whetstones and armorers hammers or more food rations.

Seanspeed

Banned
Strength of the series is to be free to choose your playstyle and weapon - and master it. No I am kinda forced to switch that up, have more weapons with me just for the sake of it, and ask myself why the shield is standing strong while my weapon breaks as fast as a bonsai branchlet.

I am all for strategizing my decisions and combat tactics, but this "bug" feels gamey and unnecessary in this series.
It's not just having another weapon for the sake of it, though. I've already explained how it adds more than just that.

And the game isn't stopping you from mastering a certain playstyle or weapon.

As for being 'gamey', well......I could honestly write a ton about 'gamey' mechanics in these games. These aren't combat sims....

Well for one there are three slots not just two.
And those are already all filled up on my builds with bows, chimes, staves or the pyromancy flame.

What you're saying is maybe viable for melee only characters. And even then what about characters with heavy weapons that almost fill up all the equip load? Are they supposed to play with a tiny dagger on the side? Get out a lame shortsword?

The game doesn't gain anything from this extra durability loss, it's just limiting. And there are versions which don't have this problem and can be played traditionally (PS3/360/PC capped at 30).

Seanspeed

Banned
And those are already all filled up on my builds with bows, chimes, staves or the pyromancy flame.
Like I said, you've gotta make choices. The game has always been about making choices. The fact there are three slots means you've got plenty of choice.

What you're saying is maybe viable for melee only characters. And even then what about characters with heavy weapons that almost fill up all the equip load? Are they supposed to play with a tiny dagger on the side? Get out a lame shortsword?
Yes, you might not be able to get away with only one weapon or type of weapon the entire time. Most heavy weapons are a lot more durable, though. This should be much less of an 'issue' for those playing like that.

derFeef

The game doesn't gain anything from this extra durability loss, it's just limiting. And there are versions which don't have this problem and can be played traditionally (PS3/360/PC capped at 30).

My thoughts exactly. I will make a Sorcerer this time to avoid it, but it will hit me later on anyway.

Like I said, you've gotta make choices. The game has always been about making choices. The fact there are three slots means you've got plenty of choice.

I am forced to make choice, I feel. I can't focus. For some this might be alright, but for someone like me, who likes to focus on one thing, this is not that great.
And just to be clear - I am okay with durability - just not as exaggerated as here.

prudislav

So is there anything like DSfix/Gedosato working to change textures???
(want to use the K+M gui icons i used on vanilla)
Also does it still have that delay on M+K like vanilla had???
(if yes does AHK script for vanilla work on SoFS?)

Bl@de

Quick-Look on Performance:

My System:
http://www.sysprofile.de/id21742

Map:
Things Betwixt, before the character generation.

Settings on Maximum:
1080p - 60fps locked (duh)
1620p - 60fps locked (60% GPU usage in Afterburner)
4K - 52-60fps (unplayable :p)

Anything above a GTX 770 should be always locked 4K fun and jolly cooperation. I really like the new look but of course it's to early to notice any changes. Will eat something now and then jump in. I have the whole afternoon, it's rainy and stormy outside and my controller is fully charged. I'm ready for some Souls.

Robot Pants

Well I mean..... It wasn't part of the game on PS3 and 360. It deteriorated faster than ds1 but it actually made durability mean something which was good.
But 60fps makes it work how it wasn't intended. So why are we defending it? It needs to be fixed

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I've heard a lot of criticism for DS2, but after Bloodborne I want to bite in ... but am still unsure. Should I do it?

Foffy

Banned
Well I mean..... It wasn't part of the game on PS3 and 360. It deteriorated faster than ds1 but it actually made durability mean something which was good.
But 60fps makes it work how it wasn't intended. So why are we defending it? It needs to be fixed

Some would argue that the way it runs at 60fps is how it was intended. For example, Durante, the man who kinda fixed the port of the first game, holds this view. It being in other versions of the game is only going to highlight that point further. "It's in most versions, therefore intended!" kind of rhetoric.

Does capping the framerate on this version solve the problem for PC users? If so, then it's still a bug. If not, then they have gone out of their way to code the mechanic this way, which one can use as a criticism if they so choose to do.

Carlius

Banned
Still haven't gotten a solid answer on whether I should finish my vanilla playthrough first or drop it and head straight into Scholar.

I might go ahead and do it just under the premise that I didn't know I had to use activate on illusory walls instead of hitting them until I reached Iron Keep.

head straight into scholar man...its a whole new game. lets do it, i await your summon fo jolly co op

If a game has half your durability go down when you swing near a summon 2 times, something's fucky. Jesus christ people stop defending shit like this.

While i don't like the system in overall, the 30 fps versions had it the way it was intended. this is complete utter crap. Some weapons are basically unusable unless you stack the shit out of your inventory with repair powder, which even that is hard to get until later in the game.

Wanna play with a whip? Better prepare to play through the entire area skipping every enemy unless you want to go back and pay 1k souls to repair it since it survives like 1 mob.

Mendax

Hey guys, I've heard a lot of criticism for DS2, but after Bloodborne I want to bite in ... but am still unsure. Should I do it?

yes, it is not as good as bloodborne but still the best game of 2014. and everything works quite similar so you'll likely have a good time throughout.

NoWayOut

Am I the only person who was never really affected by the bug? When I used the crystal sword I simply thought "crap crystal weapon breaks to fast, time to use another sword in the second slot". After that I used the Black Knight Halberd and Bracing Knucke Rings and only once ran into a problem (Dragon Shrine). Without the internet I would've never noticed. Yes it's crappy they don't fix it - But it's not game breaking or anything. I just thought that's how it is (the same with super fast enemies at 60fps^^)

Same here. Played through up to NG+ on PC when it came out and the weapon durability was never an issue for me. I used the repair powder only few times.

Seanspeed

Banned
I am forced to make choice, I feel. I can't focus. For some this might be alright, but for someone like me, who likes to focus on one thing, this is not that great.
And just to be clear - I am okay with durability - just not as exaggerated as here.
You can only wear two rings at a time. That is another choice you are 'forced' to make. Yet I have 10 fingers! Totally unrealistic, right?

And if you're that much of a stickler for *one* weapon, then use either a 2nd of the same one, or something similar with a similar moveset. Even if you don't, you are totally exaggerating the extent this game is ruining your ability to 'master' a certain playstyle.

Same here. Played through up to NG+ on PC when it came out and the weapon durability was never an issue for me. I used the repair powder only few times.

Durability is different depending on weapon. It's possible that you played with weapons that had higher. Some weapons are nearly unusable and insanely unviable to use. This just wrecks creativity.

Carlius

Banned
If a game has half your durability go down when you swing near a summon 2 times, something's fucky. Jesus christ people stop defending shit like this.

While i don't like the system in overall, the 30 fps versions had it the way it was intended. this is complete utter crap. Some weapons are basically unusable unless you stack the shit out of your inventory with repair powder, which even that is hard to get until later in the game.

Wanna play with a whip? Better prepare to play through the entire area skipping every enemy unless you want to go back and pay 1k souls to repair it since it survives like 1 mob.

so whats the issue again?

Havng played the game a few days now, I can confirm that durability is HALF than the ps3 version.

Full durability straight sword. go from Majula bonfire to the first bonfire (the one near purchaser) : weapon broke at the bomb throwing ennemy (and I dodged the hyppo). The swords dropped by enenies last only a few hits.

What I don't get, is that if it is indeed a bug, and they do not know how to patch it, why don't they just double the durability of all weapons ? This does not make sense.

Mendax

You can only wear two rings at a time. That is another choice you are 'forced' to make. Yet I have 10 fingers! Totally unrealistic, right?

And if you're that much of a stickler for *one* weapon, then use either a 2nd of the same one, or something similar with a similar moveset. Even if you don't, you are totally exaggerating the extent this game is ruining your ability to 'master' a certain playstyle.

wait, did they decrease the number of rings??

It's it a lot better than bb.

Opinions are great!

I was talking facts, not opinions.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, i regret buying this for my ps4. My weapon broke from the first bonfire in Majula and the bonfire in the woods. I mean its very early in game and it was just 15 minutes. I had to spend all my souls for the repair. :( Is this intended or is this a "bug" which will get fixed???

Stop hitting stuff you're not supposed to.

I only know the game with the bug since I've always played it at 60FPS and it was fine. It might be harder but this is Dark Souls: Adopt, adapt and improve.

Worst in the series imo but still better than most games out there (i did spend a couple hundred hours on it). Since it's so cheap, get it. Can't vouch for scholar of the first sin since i haven't played it, but people seem to think it's pretty solid so far.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I forget, is it 3 or 4?

Either way, I should be able to wear more. It is unfair the game forces me to choose.

It would only be "unfair" if the game was balanced around you wearing 10 rings, one for each finger. If the game was designed for 4 rings, then that's the "fairest" option because it's balanced for it, no? In real life I could also wear some thick pants unter my greaves to provide additional protection, but Dark Souls 2 doesn't allow for that because it's not supposed to. That's not "unfair" it's just a restriction both you and enemies have to adhere to -- not unfair.

Nevermind the realism. Calling it "unfair" just seems wrong since fairness is independent from realism.

Foffy

Banned
Havng played the game a few days now, I can confirm that durability is HALF than the ps3 version.

Full durability straight sword. go from Majula bonfire to the first bonfire (the one near purchaser) : weapon broke at the bomb throwing ennemy (and I dodged the hyppo). The swords dropped by enenies last only a few hits.

What I don't get, is that if it is indeed a bug, and they do not know how to patch it, why don't they just double the durability of all weapons ? This does not make sense.

What's so funny about this is even preview builds highlighted this problem, forcing the player to use a second weapon to actually kill the entire mob squad. And these builds started you out with a lot more gear than the main game does. Imagine doing this with the Deprived class: you'll either have to grind them to level up and use more gear because a starting weapon you find cannot be equipped right away, grind to buy weapons at the shop (which fits into the first issue), or avoid enemies. The latter seems fucking stupid to do now that they can chase you longer, and even enter fog gates. It is an unfathomably bad decision they went with here, and I am quite astonished to see people defend it so sincerely. I'm still on the fence here, hoping the PC version running at 30fps fixes this, otherwise I will skip this entirely.

This is a noticeable issue seen as early as the start of the game. God knows how bad it gets later on now that you'll have to grind for repair power and have more weapons on standby.

Top Bottom