• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone know if the PS4 version looks anywhere near those Dx11 screenshots that were taken previously in the thread?

Mogwai

This is a noticeable issue seen as early as the start of the game. God knows how bad it gets later on now that you'll have to grind for repair power and have more weapons on standby.

From what I remember, weapons lose less durability when upgrade them?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I finally downloaded Scholar of the First Sin DX11, even though I still don't know why I rebought a game I didn't like the first time.

Does anyone have a good build that takes into account the recent gameplay changes and balances? I'm beginning to think that my dislike for Dark Souls 2 was in a great deal influenced by my crappy character. I used Pyromancy A LOT in Dark Souls 1, but it didn't really click with me in DkS2. Is it worth pursuing? And I heard that the Ice Rapiers from one of the DLCs are very good... or, at least, were. Would it be wise to build my character around that weapon?

Any hints for a returning player?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
maybe not 100% but its pretty damn close, dont worry, ps4 version looks great from what ive seen.
I should just fucking buy this right now... but I've already got so much shit to play!

Mendax

Well, I finally downloaded Scholar of the First Sin DX11, even though I still don't know why I rebought a game I didn't like the first time.

Does anyone have a good build that takes into account the recent gameplay changes and balances? I'm beginning to think that my dislike for Dark Souls 2 was in a great deal influenced by my crappy character. I used Pyromancy A LOT in Dark Souls 1, but it didn't really click with me in DkS2. Is it worth pursuing? And I heard that the Ice Rapiers from one of the DLCs are very good... or, at least, were. Would it be wise to build my character around that weapon?

Any hints for a returning player?

in darks souls2 you can respec so it doesnt really matter. you could just start with heavy armor and sword and shield and when youve unlocked a lot of spells you can respec to magic and try it out..?

I should just fucking buy this right now... but I've already got so much shit to play!

I know how you feel Yosh, I am still playing through BB and I haven't ever really touched my copy of DS1 on PC....yet I can't help but hover over the order button for the PS4 game. Considering I have never played it and I am adoring BB it is so tempting.

Yoshichan

wtf, just called Gamespot...

"starcraft 2? yes we have that in"

Me: "no, DARK SOULS 2. The new one"

"the new one hasn't come out yet"

Me: "ok, it should've been released today..."

"hold on, let me see... no, starcraft 2 expansion isn't released until later this year"

At this point, I just thanked the clerk and bailed out :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

"hold on, let me see... no, starcraft 2 expansion isn't released until later this year"

PS4 version comes out on the 7th I think, only PC version is out now.

golem09

Neo Member
So I've been avoiding the game when it was first released and just now bought the Scholar PC Version.
Just read that the 60fps PC version of the base game didn't just have problems with lower durability, but also with enemies being twice as fast and the dodge roll having only half as much invicibility frames.

Is this still not fixed as well in addition to the durability bug?

Yoshichan

I thought this was out at a discounted price?!

It's 649:- wherever I go ... (75 USD)

strafer

Well, you called Gamespot and not Gamestop.

I thought this was out at a discounted price?!

It's 649:- wherever I go ... (75 USD)

I think that was steam only. Pretty sure it's fullprice everywhere else. Especially on consoles AND in sweden (också svensk eheh). I don't think you're gonna get a physical copy of that on ps4 for under 500kr for at least a couple of months.

Yoshichan

I think that was steam only. Pretty sure it's fullprice everywhere else. Especially on consoles AND in sweden (också svensk eheh). I don't think you're gonna get a physical copy of that on ps4 for under 500kr for at least a couple of months.
That sucks ass.

-Amon-

My pc is a notebook with 16 gigs of ram, i7 proc, and a geforce gt 750 m.

Where should i buy this ? PC or PS4 ?

Foffy

Banned
From what I remember, weapons lose less durability when upgrade them?

You have to unlock the ability to upgrade them. Until then, the problems of durability are still severe. I don't know if leveling them up gives them a longer period to prevent them from being broken down: I never noticed that in my original PS3 run. Durability I thought was a constant for the weapon, which makes it evermore annoying that it's now a constant annoyance.

Mogwai

You have to unlock the ability to upgrade them. Until then, the problems of durability are still severe. I don't know if leveling them up gives them a longer period to prevent them from being broken down: I never noticed that in my original PS3 run. Durability I thought was a constant for the weapon, which makes it evermore annoying that it's now a constant annoyance.

Hmm, I tried to do a wiki search and didn't find anything about it. It's just me remembering wrong then.

Upgrading weapons don't make them last longer, but the enemies die in fewer hits. Maybe that's what I experienced :)

Yoshichan

So it only drops frames (below 60) 1.44% of the game? That's not bad.

Mogwai

wiPb6so.png

:l

This will be fixed with a solid 60 fps in the next remaster for PS5, stay tuned.

Yeah, Scholar of the Second Sin for PS5. Dark Souls 2 now with 120 bosses. Keep adding that DLC FromSoft, don't stop now!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I've been avoiding the game when it was first released and just now bought the Scholar PC Version.
Just read that the 60fps PC version of the base game didn't just have problems with lower durability, but also with enemies being twice as fast and the dodge roll having only half as much invicibility frames.

Is this still not fixed as well in addition to the durability bug?

Those aren't really an issue, and I doubt they're really bugs either. The durability dropping more against dead bodies MIGHT be (though I could totally see that being intentional punishment for spamming attack) but the dodge roll doesn't have half the invincibility frames, and the enemies don't move twice as fast.

There are some enemies that have some moves which are faster at 60fps, but its generally believed that the 60fps speed is the correct speed, and 30fps is in fact 1/2 speed since its a very slow, easy to dodge attack in 30fps.

All in all, these bugs are so minor that I put over 100 hours into the game not even knowing these were supposed to be issues. Many others did as well. Don't let stuff like those stop you from playing the game.

I don't know for certain if the roll thing is true, all I know is that I never really had trouble with dodging out of the way of attacks with 100 agility, which puts the i frames bout on par with Dark Souls I.

Only digital PC version is out now.

Consoles version (and physical PC) comes out the 7th.

C'mon Yoshi, is on the OP!

Joey Ravn

Banned
in darks souls2 you can respec so it doesnt really matter. you could just start with heavy armor and sword and shield and when youve unlocked a lot of spells you can respec to magic and try it out..?

Sure, but reinforcing and fusing boss souls takes time and effort. If I have a more or less defined plan before going in, I can save myself some trial and error.

Neoweee

is it normal that weapons break after like 5 min ?

Yes. They repair automatically and for free at every bonfire as long as they aren't fully broken. It is a different mechanic from the similarly-named (and pointless) mechanic in the other games. You're supposed to use multiple weapons and not smash walls.

Anung

Un Rama
My copy arrived today :D I think I'll wait a while before playing it though as this close to Bloodborne will just kill it for me. Still, its good to have such a wealth of content for when I need it.

idonteven

Yes. They repair automatically and for free at every bonfire as long as they aren't fully broken. It is a different mechanic from the similarly-named (and pointless) mechanic in the other games. You're supposed to use multiple weapons and not smash walls.

They are broken after like 3 enemies...goes from 60 to 0 durability in minutes

Abylim

The durability thing is annoying now, in the Gutter.
Hitting all those damn dolls, plus enemies has my weapon broke in no time.
It broke on the NPC invader

I cant imagine how shit the Dragon Sword is going to be in this version. In the 30fps version it got close to breaking frequently, in this I'll probably be able to use it a few times only =\

I could understand people defending this if it was this way from the start, or in the other games, but its not.

It cant be intended, we would pretty much have to always have 2 upgraded weapons at all times. Upgrade mats are precious, especially early on.

Not to mention equip load, I usually give myself enough to wear my decent armor and rock my wep and shield. I wont be able to get my fast roll with another melee weapon on.

golem09

Neo Member
Those aren't really an issue, and I doubt they're really bugs either. The durability dropping more against dead bodies MIGHT be (though I could totally see that being intentional punishment for spamming attack) but the dodge roll doesn't have half the invincibility frames, and the enemies don't move twice as fast.

There are some enemies that have some moves which are faster at 60fps, but its generally believed that the 60fps speed is the correct speed, and 30fps is in fact 1/2 speed since its a very slow, easy to dodge attack in 30fps.

All in all, these bugs are so minor that I put over 100 hours into the game not even knowing these were supposed to be issues. Many others did as well. Don't let stuff like those stop you from playing the game.

I don't know for certain if the roll thing is true, all I know is that I never really had trouble with dodging out of the way of attacks with 100 agility, which puts the i frames bout on par with Dark Souls I.

Ok, sounds good then. So is all that in the console versions now as well?

Godan

So can anyone else select the online option on the start menu for the ps4?

Mine seems to be grayed out all the time.

Abylim

Interesting, I dont hit any walls or the ground, clearing all the enemies on the way to
Dragonrider
in Heides, and yet my weapon barely makes it to the fight, and even broke on me once.

i can't play this game like this...got 7 weapons all broke after killing like 5 enemys,gonna wait for patch to fix it

People have been waiting for it on PC for so long they start making apologies for it being a feature. I somehow doubt From is going to touch durability.

Neoweee

Interesting, I dont hit any walls or the ground, clearing all the enemies on the way to
Dragonrider
in Heides, and yet my weapon barely makes it to the fight, and even broke on me once.

That is how it always was. The "bug" is only an increased wall&corpse penalty. Sharp weapons degrade faster against armor, if I recall correctly.

There is an issue with durability, but it is not a blanket 2x like some people are saying. From doesn't seem to regard it as a bug for whatever reason.

Yoshichan

Only digital PC version is out now.

Consoles version (and physical PC) comes out the 7th.

C'mon Yoshi, is on the OP!
Nah, the game is out here, everywhere. I just called GAME, they have it in. All the webstores have it in including EU PSN.

Top Bottom