• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RiggyRob

Those ones are actually dragons not fake ones, plus it wasn't always at Heide.

Is that why it drops Guardian Dragon Soul whereas Ancient Dragon drops
Soul of a Giant
?

I know they added the dragon at Heide's Tower of Flame in SOTFS, but it's appropriate since there's the Dragonrider and Old Dragonslayer (which I'm still calling bullshit on 'cause the dragon should be dead!)

DS's lore on dragons is maddeningly inconsistent. While I suppose it's possible that what DS1 referred to as drakes (being some distant, degenerate relative of true dragons) could have come to be known as dragons by the time DS2 happens, DS1 also establishes the ancient dragons as having two pairs of wings and being immortal until the advent of lightning and Seath's theft of the crystal.

But Aldia's fake dragon has one pair of wings. No big deal, it is a fake after all. But then Freja's got one cocooned to the ceiling of the cave that looks just like it. Okay, maybe another fake? Except you enter its memories with the Ashen Mist Heart, and it takes you to the colorless and unchanging time before the First Flame. Except the dragon's dead? Well, maybe this is sometime after Gwyn and the other possessors of the great souls started fucking shit up. Except it only has two wings?

Why does a dragon remember being dead in the first place? Oy.

Yeah, I thought that the 'dragons' that have no arms were more similar to wyverns (coming from Fire Emblem where Wyvern Riders/Lords have mounts with arms but Wyvern Knights have mounts with no arms), but then this getting deep into Dark Souls 1 stuff that I have no clue about.

If you have SotFS you can be summoned into NG+'s even while in NG :p I'm lvl 250 with like 15mill SM getting like NG++'s fights.

I remember in the vanilla game if you're in NG+ you can be summoned into all NG+'s regardless so people in NG+++ can still summon you. Not sure if they patched it so NG players can interact with NG+ players, but I know in SotFS you can be summoned into NG+ and beyond even if you're in NG. With that said if you have the DLC Elana is a boss lots of people summon for. I have 15 mill SM in NG(I still need to fight one optional boss before I go into NG+, but they're a pain in the ass) and I get summoned consistently for her, I've been summoned to fight her in like NG++ because of how high my SM is. Another boss people would probably summon you for is Old Iron King, but be warned
His extremely small platform is prone to causing the host to fly off and die.

Yeah, I've been getting like 60,000 souls per Smelter Demon run.

I managed to beat the last boss of the Shulva DLC last night. The first time I killed it I traded hits and died at the same time.

I'm at Brume Tower now. This is the highlight of the game so far for me. I'd probably put this area up there with Demon's 3-1 and Oolacile Township.

Mistel

Banned
Is that why it drops Guardian Dragon Soul whereas Ancient Dragon drops
Soul of a Giant
?

I know they added the dragon at Heide's Tower of Flame in SOTFS, but it's appropriate since there's the Dragonrider and Old Dragonslayer (which I'm still calling bullshit on 'cause the dragon should be dead!)
That's the reason more or less. Dragonriders are more in name only at this point actually riding the dragons is far into the past least as early as the creation of Drangleic as a kingdom but not so much in the time frame the kingdom is currently in. As for the Old Dragonslayer it's likely the armor possessed by dark in a similar manner to the possessed armor enabling equipment use and movement plus there's some DS1 stuff like Ornstein being given a soul and so on but that's another topic.

Onemic

I'm gonna take a guess and assume it was at
the place you get the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring. Seems like the only place with a hole for him to fall.

There's a place that you can farm it, you might not need it thought, depends on what armour and weapons you use.

I currently have the drangleic shield and sword, which only use twinkling titanite to upgrade.

I already faced two more, so now I have 2 shards. These pursuers are everywhere....Only thing I can say now is that I'm used to fighting them so they're not nearly as hard as they initially were.

Also theres this place I found after
jumping through the well in Majula called Grave of Saints. Near the bonfire I hear this really subtle, evil laughter coming from within the place. Someone tell me what the hell that is because it's freaking the hell outta me.
Also is it a place I can check out if Im around level 53?
Is that thing in the mansion of Majula also within my level to be taken down?

I currently have the drangleic shield and sword, which only use twinkling titanite to upgrade.

I already faced two more, so now I have 2 shards. These pursuers are everywhere....Only thing I can say now is that I'm used to fighting them so they're not nearly as hard as they initially were.

jumping through the well in Majula called Grave of Saints. Near the bonfire I hear this really subtle, evil laughter coming from within the place. Someone tell me what the hell that is because it's freaking the hell outta me.

You should be fine going through there. There's not really anything difficult along that route, and the areas are all fairly short and straightforward.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you, and I'll spoiler tag it even though it's something you can do in an earlier area, but you can get Twinkling Titanite
from the crows' nest in Things Betwixt. Give them either type of Smooth and Silky Stone or Petrfied Something, and one of the items you can get back is Twinkling Titanite. It's random, but I've gotten a good amount from them.

Thanks jim for the titanite tip, I've been main'ing the Drangelic Sword and Shield for most of the game.

Trying to make it up the steps of this Dragon Shrine, the danger is real. :O

Really loving this game, thought I was near done before entering Drangelic Castle... Oh, youth.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks jim for the titanite tip, I've been main'ing the Drangelic Sword and Shield for most of the game.

Trying to make it up the steps of this Dragon Shrine, the danger is real. :O

Really loving this game, thought I was near done before entering Drangelic Castle... Oh, youth.
If you're doing the DLC there's an even more effective method of farming twinkling titanite than that.

Mike M

Nick N
If you're doing the DLC there's an even more effective method of farming twinkling titanite than that.
f7f57d51f80a37f65502d27206c36cf4.jpg

I'm listening...

Mistel

Banned
f7f57d51f80a37f65502d27206c36cf4.jpg

I'm listening...
There's the Shulva run which gives you 3 twinkling plus 3 dragon bones you just need to have ascetics to burn as it's no longer an infinite loop. If you prefer an infinite loop then there's always Dragon Aerie and its crystal lizards.

GulAtiCa

Beat the game in NG+ last night. I'll do a double check to make sure I got all spells I could get, and then after a little Cracked Red Eye Orb farming, I'll head into NG++ and make a rush for the castle to get the rest of the Miracle/Pyromancy spells. Just in time for Dark Souls 3!

Scholar of the First Sin or vanilla? Also, I was kind of saving the DLC areas for post-Ashen Heart Vendrick time, is that a viable idea? I was under the impression you're not immediately whisked away to NG+ like the first and Gwyn.

Mistel

Banned
Scholar of the First Sin or vanilla? Also, I was kind of saving the DLC areas for post-Ashen Heart Vendrick time, is that a viable idea? I was under the impression you're not immediately whisked away to NG+ like the first and Gwyn.
It's both and completely viable as you manually trigger the NG+ cycle this time around.

Buraindo

Yeah it's perfectly viable. The game doesn't send you to NG+ after you beat it so you can do the DLC whenever you choose.

In regards to the pit
I have no idea who's laughing, but it doesn't really matter. You should be a good enough level to fight there, there is an optional boss there.
For the mansion
Definitely, there's nothing too difficult in the mansion, go explore it.

GulAtiCa

While doing Dranleic Castle yesterday. some Blue Arbiter kept invading me, like 3 times. Not a very good one at that..

1st time: Near the acid pool. Every time I got him to near death he kept running away (+ in the 2 other invasions). So I took off all clothes/rings and jumped into the pool to take a nice swim. So, for the next 5 minutes, he wouldn't come in. I mean, the water was nice and warm! Jeez. I just continued to wave at him for the next 5 minutes. I had plenty of time to waste, my girlfriend was over, so just chatted with her while wasting his time.

2nd time: Just when I got to the 2nd bonfire before the 1st boss. He invaded me again. I killed him quickly though. Tried to do the dumb Miracle Force on me, but of course had decent poise now and just killed him shorty.

3rd time: man, WTF is this guy doing? He invaded me just after the 1st boss, at the 3rd bonfire. So I didn't even unlock the elevator thing yet. He runs away after I nearly kill him. Runs up the ladder, and runs into the next room off the ledge. So he just locked himself away from me. Again, just taunted him from afar since he kept running away. I eventually used the tree giant seed thingy to have enemies go after him. After a few minutes he went into the next room. I decided to go after him, and back stabbed him from behind. Found that was funny.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Havent played for a few days, but back again tonight for some action, and yeah, so sick of those gargoyles that I had to go somewhere else. Just came to the small fire cavern below the cathedral bonfire in Forest of the fallen giants, and there are some amazing treasure here! Can i jump into one of the holes to progress, or would that kill me?

Morfeo

The holes are fatal falls, as far as I know. I never jumped but I saw bloodstains fall into them haha.

Yeah I did too, which is why i wanted to ask. You never know with the ring that lets you fall further. Was thinking one of them might lead me to the other side of the door below.

Tried the well instead, and managed to get to the bottom, but of course there was a fire exploding guy there that killed me from behind :(

Ok, I actually found a new area and a bonfire halfway down, the Grave of Saints. Explored for a while, and then got summoned as an invader into another game, wtf? Of course I was no match for the guy there and got returned to my own game.

Edit: Holy shit at all those rats!

Yeah I did too, which is why i wanted to ask. You never know with the ring that lets you fall further. Was thinking one of them might lead me to the other side of the door below.

Tried the well instead, and managed to get to the bottom, but of course there was a fire exploding guy there that killed me from behind :(

Ok, I actually found a new area and a bonfire halfway down, the Grave of Saints. Explored for a while, and then got summoned as an invader into another game, wtf? Of course I was no match for the guy there and got returned to my own game.

Edit: Holy shit at all those rats!

Bit of info of that invasion if you want.
That's due to the Rat Covenant, basically it works kinda like how Gravelord Servant in Dark Souls 1 was supposed to work, where they lure you into their world to fight. Just unlike in Dark Souls 1 you don't get a choice, you just get whisked away to their world :p

As for the rat swarm fight
they're there as a distraction and to make the fight harder, there's one specific rat that you need to find and kill.

Morfeo

Bit of info of that invasion if you want.
That's due to the Rat Covenant, basically it works kinda like how Gravelord Servant in Dark Souls 1 was supposed to work, where they lure you into their world to fight. Just unlike in Dark Souls 1 you don't get a choice, you just get whisked away to their world :p

As for the rat swarm fight
they're there as a distraction and to make the fight harder, there's one specific rat that you need to find and kill.

Thanks for the info, I actually just beat it. Wasnt that hard when I realized I had to be more careful for that one special rat. Fun fight!

Onemic

How do you beat that stupid Gargoyle fight? It seems like they took the DS1 Gargoyle fight that everyone hate and multiplied the number of gargoyles you fight by 4.

Morfeo

How do you beat that stupid Gargoyle fight? It seems like they took the DS1 Gargoyle fight that everyone hate and multiplied the number of gargoyles you fight by 4.

Im stuck there as well, and just went down in Grave of Saints instead. Going back there with beter weapons later.

Anyways, just got dragged into the same stupid invaders world again - but this time I actually managed to kill the guy. Nice! Might be the my first mp victory in a souls-game since the boss fight in Tower of Latria.

Mike M

Nick N
There's an NPC summon right near the fog door that is helpful if only for drawing fire. Other than that, I think it was most a matter of doing hit and runs and taking advantage of the peaked roof to block flame breath.

I honestly found it easier than I feared.

Im stuck there as well, and just went down in Grave of Saints instead. Going back there with beter weapons later.

Anyways, just got dragged into the same stupid invaders world again - but this time I actually managed to kill the guy. Nice! Might be the my first mp victory in a souls-game since the boss fight in Tower of Latria.

Focus on one Gargoyle at a time. They spawn based on damage done to the overall health bar, not based on time that has passed. From what I've seen another spawns when enough damage has been done to the overall health bar as the health of one Gargoyle. For example, another will spawn if you have two Gargoyles at 50% health or one at 25% and the other at 75%. It's a pretty terrible fight where you have to strafe a shit ton and wait for an opening on one of em so you don't get swarmed.

Morfeo

Focus on one Gargoyle at a time. They spawn based on damage done to the overall health bar, not based on time that has passed. From what I've seen another spawns when enough damage has been done to the overall health bar as the health of one Gargoyle. For example, another will spawn if you have two Gargoyles at 50% health or one at 25% and the other at 75%. It's a pretty terrible fight where you have to strafe a shit ton and wait for an opening on one of em so you don't get swarmed.

This might be an original DS2 thing, but my first fight, i took it really slow, and while I did focus on one at the time, a third and even fourth gargoyle spawned well before I got to that 75%. So i changed up my strat to do it a bit faster, which of course is also more risky.

Anyways, I just found a bonfire in the Gutter. Is this Blighttown 2.0 or what.

This might be an original DS2 thing, but my first fight, i took it really slow, and while I did focus on one at the time, a third and even fourth gargoyle spawned well before I got to that 75%. So i changed up my strat to do it a bit faster, which of course is also more risky.

Anyways, I just found a bonfire in the Gutter. Is this Blighttown 2.0 or what.

That's weird. I was watching one of my favourite YouTubers go through vanilla Dark Souls 2 while I waited for summons, and when he fought the Gargoyles they only spawned when enough damage was dealt to the overall health bar.

Worse. It's much worse than blighttown.

Morfeo

That's weird. I was watching one of my favourite YouTubers go through vanilla Dark Souls 2 while I waited for summons, and when he fought the Gargoyles they only spawned when enough damage was dealt to the overall health bar.

Ok great to know lol. About those gargoyles, I just googled it, and it seems that if you are slow enough, more gargoyles can spawn, but the general rule is as you said.

So back to the gutter, where do I stock up on items to cure poison?

Onemic

yup, the NPC helped a ton. Ive gotten a whole lot of weapons from the area after.
A twinblade!
Too bad im still 5 points off from my DEX stat to use it.

MUnited83

For you.

Hey now, The Gutter is great :(

Hey now, The Gutter is great :(

Sure, IF IT WASN'T FOR THE PERUVIAN SPITTING PENISES! Great atmosphere though.

yup, the NPC helped a ton. Ive gotten a whole lot of weapons from the area after.
A twinblade!

NPCs in this game seem to be really useful, and I think they even go up as you progress though NG+s so they're not useless like Dark Souls 1.

Ok great to know lol. About those gargoyles, I just googled it, and it seems that if you are slow enough, more gargoyles can spawn, but the general rule is as you said.

So back to the gutter, where do I stock up on items to cure poison?

Ah, I never experienced that though. I'd strafe for a good 5 minutes and non would spawn.

The guy who I know sells em is Gavlaan

Mike M

Nick N
Never had a problem with the spitting statues in the Gutter. You just don't walk in front of them and smash them. They don't even respawn unless you warp away.

Uh-oh, I killed the arms merchant in Majula. How screwed am I ?
Not all, I don't think? Just a longer trip to get weapons and armor reinforced.

Morfeo

Ah, I never experienced that though. I'd strafe for a good 5 minutes and non would spawn.

The guy who I know sells em is Gavlaan

I just googled this guy, and considering I own the axe he drops, I guess i have accidentally killed him. Ah well, went back and killed those gargoyles instead, probably died a total of 50 times on them before making it between tonight and saturday - but i did it. And without npc's as well!

GulAtiCa

The Gutter is great. Black Gulch kinda sucks a little.

Though I'd much rather go through the Black Gulch over and over, blindfolded even, then ever do Shrine of Amana ever again. The original DkS2 un-patched version was pure hell. Hell, back then the draw distance wasn't that great (I mean, it was pretty decent for a close-quarter game like this) for those pew pew pew casters that would auto target you even when you can't see them (with binoculars no less)

The Gutter is great. Black Gulch kinda sucks a little.

Though I'd much rather go through the Black Gulch over and over, blindfolded even, then ever do Shrine of Amana ever again. The original DkS2 un-patched version was pure hell. Hell, back then the draw distance wasn't that great (I mean, it was pretty decent for a close-quarter game like this) for those pew pew pew casters that would auto target you even when you can't see them (with binoculars no less)

Fuck frigid outskirts, honestly, fuck it. Stupid reindeer spawned miliseconds before the storm subsided, so I wasted the window killing it, then had to wait for the storm to end again. Then got killed by a reindeer that didn't get poise broken by my 2 handed R2 KUGS attack, did the lightening attack that hit me and has a lingering effect that killed me.

Shittest place ever, I was a Gutter/Black Gulch/Shrine of Amana/Blighttown horrible mutated land than this shithole!
I bet the dick that created this abomination got promoted

GulAtiCa

Frigid Outskirts is prob the easiest place once you summon the 3 NPCs. I finally gave up, and did so. So much easier.

But yeah, completely alone, it sucks monkey balls.

Frigid Outskirts is prob the easiest place once you summon the 3 NPCs. I finally gave up, and did so. So much easier.

But yeah, completely alone, it sucks monkey balls.

I'm trying to solo every boss on NG and NG+ at least once. It's gonna be super tough when it comes to one boss because I BA'd them three times to get an achievement, so when I face them again they'll be NG+5. I think the only two bosses I'll have lots of difficulty with are
Fume & Alonne, I could never beat Fume on NG+ solo and even in NG he gave me trouble.

Mistel

Banned
That's weird. I was watching one of my favourite YouTubers go through vanilla Dark Souls 2 while I waited for summons, and when he fought the Gargoyles they only spawned when enough damage was dealt to the overall health bar..
Gargoyles can also spawn based on time taken take too long another joins the fight.
A twinblade!
It's alright don't get your hopes up it's weaker than other twinblades by a margin other than a novelty one and the other mostly novelty one.
Uh-oh, I killed the arms merchant in Majula. How screwed am I ?
If you wait three hours their gravestone will appear and you can use the merchant again.

Alright beat the main area of Ivory King, all that is left is Frigid Outskirts and I'm done with the game.

Edit: After looking up a map and knowing where the fuck I have to go, this area isn't bad at all. But fuck the boss. Once the second joins all you can do is accept death.

Onemic

Im at Black Gulch. How do I get through this area? There are too many statues to break and I get poisoned in 2 shots. I guess this is what I get for leaving my adaptability at 5.

Also, DX11 in this game is unreal. It's finally like that demo they showed at E3. Torches are extremely useful now.

wiibomb

Hello everyone! I started Dark Souls 2 last sunday when I got the game and damn... I think I messed up...

I got way too many souls from doing co-op and now after finishing the Lost Sinner I'm at level 91 lol.. how messed am I?

Also, even with this amount of levels, I still find the game pretty fucking hard (and bullshit at times) and I was suspecting that was because I haven't made any single upgrade to weapons, but where do I find a source for Titanite Shards? I got like 3 only and I don't have a source like Andre from DS1.

GulAtiCa

Im at Black Gulch. How do I get through this area? There are too many statues to break and I get poisoned in 2 shots. I guess this is what I get for leaving my adaptability at 5.

Also, DX11 in this game is unreal. It's finally like that demo they showed at E3. Torches are extremely useful now.
Put on a poison res ring.

Hello everyone! I started Dark Souls 2 last sunday when I got the game and damn... I think I messed up...

I got way too many souls from doing co-op and now after finishing the Lost Sinner I'm at level 91 lol.. how messed am I?

Also, even with this amount of levels, I still find the game pretty fucking hard (and bullshit at times) and I was suspecting that was because I haven't made any single upgrade to weapons, but where do I find a source for Titanite Shards? I got like 3 only and I don't have a source like Andre from DS1.

Nah, not very. Usually after Lost Sinner I have close to 100. But I'm also usually a melee/caster build, so I need more levels for my spells/etc. Unlike DK1, DK2 levels have no meaning for co-op/pvp (except for the arenas). It's all about Soul Memory tiers (which suck). I'd say most people end up with around SL of 150 to 200 by the time they stop leveling up. The only downside to you doing co-op a lot, is that because you have more souls, you might find some less popular areas more empty do to being out of range.

wiibomb

Put on a poison res ring.

Nah, not very. Usually after Lost Sinner I have close to 100. But I'm also usually a melee/caster build, so I need more levels for my spells/etc. Unlike DK1, DK2 levels have no meaning for co-op/pvp (except for the arenas). It's all about Soul Memory tiers (which suck). I'd say most people end up with around SL of 150 to 200 by the time they stop leveling up. The only downside to you doing co-op a lot, is that because you have more souls, you might find some less popular areas more empty do to being out of range.

that's exactly what was happening to me, I noticed that some enemies had been disappearing from my game levels and I didn't know why.

I didn't know about the soul memory, but I'm guessing I'm still kinda fucked up on that side since I got a load of souls from helping a ton in the Forest of the Fallen Giants and Lost Bastile. (the first levels I've played, too)

In any case, a good source of titanite shards? I can't believe I need 2-3 hits to kill a mob from FotFG with a character in lv 91

Top Bottom